Room 101

taxi4ballet

I'm watching the documentary 'Cleopatra'. The main historical presenter Bethany Hughes insists on narrating past events in the present tense. Mary Beard has the same habit, and it also happens on the In Our Time podcasts. It's clearly a convention that the directors are asking for, but I find it really corny and distracting. Do they think we are all 5 year olds who will fall asleep unless they make everything immediate?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind the tense at all! It's called the historic present tense and is common nowadays. There was a debate on it a year ago with John Humphrys discussing Melvyn Bragg's radio series In Our Time, although both presenters actually didn't like the tense. But it's academics who want it, Bragg said.

He added that academics on his show who did use the historic present tense did so believing that it brought their subject matter to life  - and he was not going to act like “some lollipop man” holding up his hand to stop them. "I don’t think that’s my job to tell somebody at the top of their game in scholarship to stop using that tense."

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/it-s-a-tense-stand-off-as-melvyn-bragg-raps-john-humphrys-9633001.html

I would like to put the amount of media time spent on the American Presidential election into Room 101. I feel as though it has been going on for so long, and there has been so much time given to reporting the results in various states, I am starting to wonder if they will ever get around to a final election.

• Like 5

Not until November. And in the meantime we have the conventions in July to look forward to. The Republican convention is shaping up to be a major omnishambles, with factions getting ready to shut Donald Trump out of the nomination even if he does have more delegates than anyone else; should be quite entertaining for people who aren't already burned out.

• Like 1

There was a item on a 'news' programme this morning, about a little lad in America - Arkansas I think -  whose mother invited ten other little lads to his birthday party. Unfortunately, not one of them turned up despite having r.s.v.p.'d to the effect they would. What a bummer for him and a bad mannersfest for those invitees. On top of that, I was particularly struck by this little boy's resemblance to Ed Milliband. As if things weren't bad enough with his mother putting him on t.v. to tell the world nobody wanted to go to his party. :(

Edited by Jacqueline

There was a item on a 'news' programme this morning, about a little lad in America - Arkansas I think -  whose mother invited ten other little lads to his birthday party. Unfortunately, not one of them turned up despite having r.s.v.p.'d to the effect they would. What a bummer for him and a bad mannersfest for those invitees. On top of that, I was particularly struck by this little boy's resemblance to Ed Milliband. As if things weren't bad enough with his mother putting him on t.v. to tell the world nobody wanted to go to his party. :(

I now gather there were 21 invitees and nobody showed up. The printed story goes on to say that some State Troopers got to hear about it and they went to the boy's house to cheer him up. When asked what he thought when he saw them at the door, the 10 year old said he felt scared and was wondering what they were doing there. Apparently, it is not the first time something like this has happened, that is to say nobody turning up, but it would seem he did enjoy the Troopers' visit.  It sounds like one of those stories where there is more to it than meets the eye. Strange. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Seems very strange that all those children accepted an invitation, and then just didn't bother to turn up.  That is very bad manners indeed.  What on earth were the parents thinking? 

It seems to be getting more common for people to RSVP an invite saying they will, go, and then not turn up.  I went to a wedding last year, which was a wonderful affair with a sit down dinner in a very lovely venue.  I was talking to the bride's father at one point, and I was amazed to hear that at least 8 of the invited people had simply not turned up, and had not bothered to contact anyone.

He was quite annoyed, because he said they had had to cut back on the list of people who were invited, and if someone couldn't make it, then one of the reserves could have taken their place.  As it was, he had to pay for food and drink that wasn't consumed.  So rude and thoughtless of people. 

I have just been on a Facebook group that I am a member of, and someone was asking for recommendations for apps for iPad for keeping a 21 month old entertained on holiday. Sorely tempted to just write "the off button". Aren't holidays about quality family time? Yes, if you turn the iPad off you might have to entertain your child yourself, which, I know, can be exhausting, but in turn they will entertain you & precious memories will be made. Having brought my own children up and been a childminder in an age where ipads weren't babysitters I dislike toddlers using them as entertainment. Play with them, tap into their imagination, whilst you're still the most important person in their world.

• Like 9

Slightly related to the above post about toddlers and iPads, with which I fully agree, on my recent trip to London I took a bus from Victoria to the Strand. The no 11 goes past quite a few landmarks such as Westminster Abbey, Big Ben etc. I sat upstairs on the bus and in front of me were two young adult Japanese tourists. For almost the entire length of the journey, they were taking selfies of themselves and barely once did they look out of the window at the passing 'sights'. 

It amused me because as I was sitting right behind them, I could see myself in the near background of all the selfies they were taking. I added a few expressions although I did stop short of picking my nose :D. They were oblivious.

I had this vision of them going home after the holiday and showing their friends/relatives all their pics and perhaps wondering who that third person was. I know they were young and all that ( so was I, once), but I just thought it was a shame to be so self absorbed as to be unable or uninterested in engaging in what's actually going on around you. At least these two could say they've been to London I suppose. Plus I could have been a celebrity!

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 5

You always make me laugh Jacqueline!!

I always worry about cyclists with headphones on. There have been a lot of accidents with cyclists in London...I think they need their ears as well as eyes on the road.

• Like 2

For the British members, can I put the whole Brexit 'debate' into Room 101?  It's not that it's not a critically important decision, but that the basis for debate is so appalling and fact-free.  Side A ( or 'Eurin' as I like to think of it) says 'our study shows leaving the EU will cost the UK 4 gazillion', Side B says 'our study shows leaving the EU will save the UK 4 gazillion'.  Business leader or foreign politician A weighs in with an opinion, counterpart B weighs in with the opposite opinion. More migrants, fewer migrants.  Migrants are good, migrants are bad. Flower-Garlanded unicorns will flock to the UK and sunsets will be red, white and blue if we leave. The average summer temperature across the EU is 22C, in the UK it's 15C, so we'll have warmer summers if we stay... There are no facts in any of this, it is all meaningless conjecture and supposition based on personal hunches or prejudices.  In, out, in, out, shake it all about - but just get it over with!!!

And breathe.

• Like 10

I think the whole Brexit campaign has been absolutely appalling.  No academic analysis, just political soundbites from anyone who can get their opinion expressed in the media. 

How the heck are we supposed to vote, based on the information we have been given so far?

• Like 5

I agree. The EU in/out debate has all the intellectual rigor of a playground spat over who has the biggest conker. Or are conkers banned now? It is supposedly the biggest decision the citizens of this country will have to make about our future and yet the electorate is being treated as though it is incapable of grasping the facts, so we are not given any. Just scaremongering and pantomime level oh yes it is, oh no it isn't.

Most of the voices we hear on the news have a vested interest in the vote going their way, or have been told what to say on a matter that won't even affect them, so I treat everything I hear with the utmost caution. I see this morning even Gordon Brown has weighed in so I rest my case. It is shameful that those who govern us, treat us with such contempt. We don't all have such short or selective memories.

I have decided how I will vote, based more on instinct than anything else. As this seems to be the level at which the 'debate' is set, we might as well vote now and get it over with. 

• Like 6

I doubt that the Brexit vote was intended to happen. It was a bait for potential UKIP voters at last year's general election and an appeaser for anti-EU Tories, but IMHO when it was put into the Conservative 2015 manifesto, the expectation was that there would be a coalition government, requiring a compromise in which this referendum would be abandoned.  

How ironic that it is splitting rather than uniting the parliamentary Tories and how shocking that some appear to be exploiting it for personal advancement in the forthcoming leadership contest.  

They do say you should be careful what you wish for.

• Like 4

If we vote to leave the EU, does that mean we won't have to suffer the annual borefest ritual humiliation of the Eurovision Song Contest any more? :o  ;)  :D

well given that such well known European countries as Azerbaijan, Russia, Turkey and Israel all participate, I think our nul points are guaranteed for years to come whichever way it goes  :(

• Like 4

I mean your original post!! Just got into hysterics for some reason.

The thing is I need something to cheer me up about the absurdity of Life sometimes.

We have new next door neighbours who after only a week ...ripped out all the hedging ...chopped down two holly trees and a large cherry tree and then told us they wanted to build a very large extension on their house which will completely ruin the sea view we have had for the past 17 years and extend into their garden in front of our bedroom window.

We have had our say to the planning lot ( two young men in their twenties) but it's been decided that the neighbours can have their extension......you cannot argue for loss of view or devaluation of your property these days ....so we will just have to accept it.

They are a nice enough couple etc but after agonising originally about putting in an objection.....didn't want to ruin their dream plans etc....they then tell me how they are doing me a favour because the added value to their property after the extension has been built will make ours more valuable too!! I hope they don't do it all and then move on ....just a profit making project after all!!

To get this extension in they have to knock down a large retaining wall in the garden ....They said of course we will,be moving out when the work starts....great for them!!!

You can guarantee it will be the best summer for years as we won't be able to go in the garden with all the noise and dust!!

Phew got that of my chest! Been a very difficult four weeks. So need a few laughs!

LinMM, you sound like you have the neighbours from hell. We had a situation years ago, when similarly minded people wanted to build an extension next door. Although we couldn't do anything about the loss of view, it was the loss of natural light and privacy we got them on, as they were going to build to such a height and length, some of our windows would have been put in permanent shade. We complained and it turned out they had been given permission for an extension that wasn't quite what it seemed in terms of dimensions. Naturally we don't speak now but it is no loss.

As for their comment about doing you a favour, how on earth do they conclude that their extension will add value to your property? The destruction in the garden is sad enough. Stuff their 'dream plans', you must put your own interests first. If it's not too late, get it looked at again. We had an independent architect come round for a look and he said no way should our neighbours have been given permission, too high, too long, too close etc. He also said a lot of these extensions add no real value to a property against what they cost to build. They are only really worthwhile for those intending to stay there and benefit from the extra space, particularly in areas where property prices have reached their peak.

Anyway, as I say if it's not too late, get it looked into again. If it is too late, you'll just have to bear it but keep a close eye on proceedings! I do sympathise as this sort of thing is very stressful but you must get tough and put yourself first.

• Like 4

How  horrible, LinMM.  I get so upset when people rip down hedges, chop down trees, dig up lawns, and then wonder where all the wildlife has gone.  And what is this trend for having an ENORMOUS open plan kitchen/dining/living room?  Apart from the fact that they must be horribly expensive to heat in the winter, it means you have to have all these gadgets and gizmos to prevent cooking smells and noise going over the whole house. 

While a large kitchen is nice, I don't particularly want it to invade the entire ground floor.  And don't people want to shut a door and have a bit of piece and quiet occasionally?

• Like 7

Yes, a large kitchen is nice, like a proper so called farmhouse do, all in keeping and proportion to the rest of the house.

I blame the trend for these monster kitchens on all those DIY programmes, where it  looks lovely to have so much space, but from a practical point of view it is another matter. Not just heating and associated costs, but cleaning high ceilings, massive windows, acres of floor, worktops etc. There was one show in particular where the 'architect' redesigning these 'living spaces' formerly known as kitchens, must have had a deal with the manufacturers as every design included those huge, folding doors that lead onto the decking/patio/terrace/whatever. Again, quite nice to be able to open up such access to the outdoors, but how many times would you be able to do so in our climate? Plus, I imagine they take some maintaining. Still, as long as your open plan comes with a 60" tv, all should be well.

There is such a complete lack of imagination about some of these builds and I can't think of any circumstances in which I would decimate a garden, in order to fill the new space with bricks and mortar. Some I have seen, the garden is reduced to a postage stamp. As Fonty says, they cut down all the trees and hedges, then wonder why there is no wildlife. Plus, they then go and buy outdoor furniture and parasols because there is, for some reason, no shade anymore. Weird. :wacko:  

• Like 4