Press Release: IVAN PUTROV PRESENTS AGAINST THE STREAM

IVAN PUTROV PRESENTS

AGAINST THE STREAM

A Gala Night Celebrating Ballet’s Greatest Pioneers

at The London Coliseum

7 APRIL 2019

On April 7th 2019, stars from the world’s leading ballet companies will come together for Against the Stream, a one-off gala performance accompanied by a live orchestra at the London Coliseum. The star-studded international cast features principal dancers from Paris Opera Ballet, New York City Ballet, The Royal Ballet and English National Ballet in a dazzling celebration of some of ballet’s greatest pioneers. The gala - which is masterminded by dancer-turned-producer and former principal of The Royal Ballet, Ivan Putrov – champions the mavericks of the ballet world who broke with tradition, pushed against the boundaries of the art form, and established the foundations for the rich and varied world of dance we have today. The programme will include masterpieces by choreographers including Jerome Robbins, George Balanchine and Kenneth MacMillan. Against the Stream will be a spectacular celebration of the genius, vision and trailblazing talent these choreographers represent and the immense and powerful legacy they left behind.

147284387_AgainsttheStream5lowres.png.264aa2cb263856060930dcf2fb76ca8b.png

“The evening will celebrate some of the remarkable choreographers who took ballet to new heights by daring to go against the stream. Great ballet is even more powerful when it is performed close to the original vision of its creator. For this reason I have invited dancers schooled in those companies where the works were originally performed.” Ivan Putrov

Dancers confirmed for the gala include Matthew Ball, Principal Dancer of The Royal Ballet, Mathieu Ganio and Eleonora Abbagnato, Étoiles of Paris Opera Ballet, Maria Kowroski, Principal New York City Ballet, Marcelo Gomes, Guest Principal, Dmitry Zagrebin, Principal of The Royal Swedish Ballet and Katja Khaniukova, Soloist with English National Ballet. Works confirmed for the evening’s gala programme include Diana and Actaeon Pas de Deux (Vaganova), Le Parc (Preljocaj), Suite en Blanc (Lifar), Diamonds (Balanchine) and In G Major Pas (Robbins).

450470963_AgainsttheStreamPhotoCreditJamesBortandChristineKreiselmaier.thumb.jpg.ba36100058b3150692c3cea8ac3c25f9.jpg

• ends –

Notes to editors

Address: London Coliseum, St Martin’s Lane, London, WC2N 4ES 

Performance Dates: 7 April 2019 

Tickets: £20-£120 (plus booking fee) 

Booking: http://londoncoliseum.org/ats

Telephone: 020 7845 9300 

Ivan Putrov – Principal Dancer and Producer

1245147107_IvanPutrovportraitbySeanSeng.thumb.jpg.b8a4877eef52cc5b9188f4584b9e9f0f.jpg

Ivan Putrov was born in Kyiv, Ukraine to a ballet family. He trained at The Kyiv State Choreographic Institute and at The Royal Ballet School. Upon graduation Sir Anthony Dowell invited him to join the Company, where he became a principal after three seasons. His repertory includes principal roles in all the classics and ballets by MacMillan, Ashton, Balanchine, Fokine, Nijinsky, Tetley, Cranko, Bournonville, Robbins, De Valois, Zamuel, Goleizovsky, McGregor, Forsythe, Kylián, Maliphant, Bourne, De Frutos, Petit and Duato. International appearances include leading roles with the National Ballet Companies of Cuba, Hungary, Ukraine, Lithuania, England, Mexico, Georgia, Vienna Staatsoper, Asami Maki Ballet Theatre and with The Royal Ballet in many of the world’s most renowned theatres. Awards include Premier Prix at the Prix de Lausanne, Gold medal at the Serge Lifar International Ballet Competition, Gold Medal at the Nijinsky Festival, Critics’ Circle National Dance Award, and the Medal for Work and Achievement from the President of Ukraine. In 2009 Ivan was made an Honorary Artist of Ukraine.

Ivan has worked with Mario Testino, Johnnie Shand-Kidd, Philip Haas, Nick Knight, Gary Hume, Sam Taylor-Wood and the Pet Shop Boys on photographic, film and other creative projects. Ivan has performed at numerous special events and charities including at Buckingham Palace and for the 101st birthday of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother at The Royal Opera House. The Pet Shop Boys wrote The Most Incredible Thing for him which was first performed at Sadler’s Wells in 2011 and was filmed by the BBC. In 2012 Ivan conceived and produced Men in Motion, an exploration of the changing role of the male dancer over the last century. It premiered at Sadler’s Wells Theatre in 2012 and has had three more successful runs in London as well as in Italy, Russia, Poland and Ukraine.

Matthew Ball - Principal Dancer of The Royal Ballet

839219164_LowresMatthewBall.JPG.3f0e7e6da9d3f545256459805455cc20.JPG

Matthew Ball is a Principal dancer of The Royal Ballet. He trained at The Royal Ballet School and joined the Company during the 2013/14 Season, promoted to First Artist in 2015, Soloist in 2016, First Soloist in 2017 and Principal dancer in 2018. Matthew was born in Liverpool. He joined The Royal Ballet School aged 11 and graduated through the School. Awards as a student include at the School’s 2011 Lynn Seymour Competition, the 2009 Kenneth MacMillan Senior Choreographic Competition and the Gailene Stock and Gary Norman Award for Excellence.

Matthew’s roles with the Company include Romeo, Albrecht (Giselle), Prince Florimund and Bluebird (The Sleeping Beauty), Prince (The Nutcracker), Prince Siegfried (Swan Lake),  Lensky (Onegin), Lysander (The Dream), the Young Man (The Two Pigeons), Escamillo (Acosta’s Carmen), Officer (Anastasia), pas de six (Giselle) and in Symphonic Dances, Jewels, The Human Seasons, Woolf Works, Afternoon of a Faun, Carbon Life, Scènes de ballet and The Age of Anxiety. His role creations include Albert de Belleroche (Strapless) and in Connectome, Untouchable, Woolf Works, Obsidian Tear and Multiverse. Recently he joined Matthew Bourne's New Adventures in a guest capacity performing the role of 'The Swan/Stranger' (Swan Lake). In 2016 he was named Best Emerging Artist at the Critics’ Circle National Dance Awards.

Dmitry Zagrebin Principal Dancer, Royal Swedish Ballet

Dmitry Zagrebin was born in Moscow, Russia, the son of two former Bolshoi Ballet dancers. Following in their footsteps, Dmitry studied at the Bolshoi Ballet Academy before joining the Bolshoi Ballet in 2007. In 2012, he was named a soloist at Stanislavsky Ballet in Moscow and in 2015, he joined the Royal Swedish Ballet as a soloist, before quickly being promoted to the rank of Principal. His repertory includes leading roles in most of the classical ballet repertoire such as Christopher Wheeldon’s Alice in Wonderland, Rudolf Nureyev’s version of Don Quixote, Marcia Haydee’s Sleeping Beauty to name a few. Zagrebin has garnered a number of awards, including gold medals at the International Ballet Competition in Seoul and at the Moscow International Ballet competition. He was nominated for Benois de la Dance Prize for his performance as Basilio in Rudolf Nureyev’s Don Quixote.

Mathieu Ganio - Étoile of the Paris Opéra

Mathieu was born in Marseille, France, the son of Ballet National de Marseille principal dancers, Dominique Khalfouni and Denys Ganio. He started training at the École Nationale Supérieure de Danse de Marseille from 1992 to 1999 before completing his training at the École de Danse de l’opéra National de Paris. In 2001 he joined the corps de ballet of the Paris Opera Ballet and was promoted to Coryphee in 2002 and Sujet in 2003. In 2004, following a performance of Nureyev’s Don Quixote, he was appointed to Étoile. In 2005 he was awarded the Benois de la Dance for Outstanding Male Dancer.

His repertoire includes Colas, La Fille Mal Gardée; lead roles in Jewels, The Four Temperaments, Symphony in C, Apollo and Agon (Balanchine), the Ballet Master in La Petite danseuse de Degas; Firebird, Serait-ce la Mort ?; the principal male roles in Nureyev’s Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Nutcracker and Romeo and Juliet; Albrecht in Giselle, Onegin, Artifact Suite, Woundwork 1; Des Grieux in Manon; James in La Sylphide; Lucien d’Hervilly in Paquita, Armand in La Dame aux Camélias, The Third Symphony by Gustave Mahler; Eros in Psyché and Dances at a Gathering.

Roles created on him include the title role in Caligula; Amoveo and Daphnis in Daphnis and Chloe; Genus and Alea Sands; Baptiste Debureau in Les Enfants du Paradis; the Man in The Song of the Earth; Grand Miroir de Saburo  and Celebration de Pierre Lacotte. 

Katja Khaniukova - Soloist, English National Ballet 

Katia was born in Kiev, Ukraine. She trained at the Kiev State Choreographic Institute. As Principal Dancer of Kiev Ballet her roles included Juliet; (Romeo and Julliet) Kitri (Don Quixote); Clara (Nutcracker); Aurora, Princess Florine and Bluebird (Sleeping Beauty), Odette/Odile and both Medora and Gulnare (Corsaire). In 2014 she joined English National Ballet and was promoted to Soloist in 2017. Katja has appeared as Clara in Eagling’s Nutcracker; Romeo & Juliet in-the-round at the Royal Albert Hall and roles in Ronald Hynd’s Coppélia, Derek Deane’s Swan Lake, Medora and Gulnare in Corsaire, van Manen’s Adagio Hammerklavier; Neumeier’s Spring and Fall; the title role in Mary Skeaping’s Giselle and the Novice in The Cage by Jerome Robbins.

Katia has performed as a guest principal with Latvian National Opera and Ochi International Ballet (Nagoya, Japan). International awards include Gold Medal at the Serge Lifar International Ballet Competition (2005); Silver Medal – Youth Ballet of the World Competition (2007); Gold Medal at the Seoul International Ballet Competition (2011) and Gold Medal at the Istanbul International Ballet Competition (2012). Katja was a finalist during English National Ballet’s annual Emerging Dancer Competition (2015).

Photo credits:  James Bort and Christine, Sean & Seng

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I did an extensive interview with Ivan Putrov a week ago.  We had a wide-ranging discussion, and talked about his upcoming show Against the Stream, amongst other things.  It sounds like it's going to be a fascinating show.  Please click on the link below to access the interview.  

http://www.balletcoforum.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=709

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Sim said:

I did an extensive interview with Ivan Putrov a week ago.  We had a wide-ranging discussion, and talked about his upcoming show Against the Stream, amongst other things.  It sounds like it's going to be a fascinating show.  Please click on the link below to access the interview.  

http://www.balletcoforum.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=709 587.87 kB · 29 downloads

Thank you for this - he's so interesting!

• Like 1

My apologies to those who were unable to access the link.  The wonderful John Mallinson has fixed it so it should now be available to all.  Please let me know if you are unable to access the interview.  

Thanks for a very interesting piece. I have been to all Putrov's shows but this is the most interesting piece I have read about them- so thanks Sim for 'drawing him out' and giving us this insight.

On 03/03/2019 at 18:06, Sim said:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=709 587.87 kB · 197 downloads

What a wonder interview, Sim.

Putrov comes across as a really intelligent and thoughtful guy. I really agree with the remarks he made about the critics and I love the fact that he loves his art so much.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 18:06, Sim said:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=709 587.87 kB · 302 downloads

Wow, Sim, that really was an in-depth interview!  I've only just managed to find time to read it.  Thanks very much for all your hard work.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shade said:

Oh dear - just realised that this is the same day as ENOs Merry Widow at 15.00. Wonder if I do both?

Really?  I just checked the Coliseum schedule for 7th April and couldn't find any Merry Widow listing???  I would imagine if Mr. Putrov could not have a dress rehearsal in the space it would make this programme quite impossible to produce ... and - given costs - it would only be sensible to have it on the day.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Ivan Putrov is featured on the front on the April edition of The Dancing Times and there is an article about him and his vision for Against the Stream inside the magazine.

It might be worth pointing out here that:

•  Marcelo Gomes is appearing fresh from his triumph in Sarasota in the revival of Ashton's Apparitions; and
  •  Mathieu Ganio is dancing in London for only the second time, his first appearance being in Men in Motion in 2017

Edited by capybara
  • Like 4

Full list of current dancers participating ... Very impressive - 

Matthew Ball - The Royal Ballet

Mathieu Ganio - Paris Opera Ballet

Dmitry Zagrebin - Royal Swedish Ballet

Katja Khaniukova - English National Ballet

Tyler Angle - New  York City Ballet

Mayara Magri – The Royal Ballet

Hannah O’Neill - Paris Opera Ballet

Ivan Putrov - former Royal Ballet

Joaquin de Luz  - New York City Ballet

Maria Kowroski - New York City Ballet 

Marcelo Gomes - former American Ballet Theatre

Of course, 'officially' de Luz is now 'former NYCB' ... but what matter a few months .... A VERY fine dancer nonetheless ... and this will be the last chance London will have to see him on stage certainly .... 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

Can't wait for this - and that was based on the dancers only, without really taking into account what they were dancing: extracts from Le Parc, Suite en Blanc, Diamonds and In G Major ought to make me very happy!

Oh, and I've just found that the tkts website in Leicester Square is doing discounted tickets.  Shame I'd already bought mine!

Here is the programme for tonight:

Suite en blanc: Mathieu Ganio & Hannah O’Neill

Flames of Paris: Katja Khaniukova & Dimitry Zagrebin

Suite of dances: Joaquin de Luz & Urška Horvat

In G pas: Maria Kowroski & Tyler Angle

Images of Love: Matthew Ball, Mayara Magri & Ivan Putrov

INTERVAL

Dance of the blessed spirits:Ivan Putrov

Diamonds, Jewels: Maria Kowroski & Marcelo Gomes

Cinderella: Mathieu Ganio & Hannah O’Neill

Awakening , Sleeping Beauty: Matthew Ball & Mayara Magri

Sinatra Suite: Kate-Lynn Robichaux & Marcelo Gomes 

Diana and Acteon , La Esmeralda: Dimitry Zagrebin & Katja Khaniukova with ENBS Students: Demelza Lesage, Chiara Malavasi, Svetlana Markova, Lauren Mitchell, Cai Sesma Pérez, Sara Shirokoma 

It starts at 7.00pm and is expected to finish at around 9.05pm

• Like 7

14 hours ago, alison said:

Oh, and I've just found that the tkts website in Leicester Square is doing discounted tickets.  

Those who saw this information, please spread the news among your friends -- I guess they will thank you after the show.

Edited by Amelia
typo