Low levels of Vitamin D and dancing

hoglett

Hi there, DD after serious flu bug has been diagnosed with very low levels of Vitamin D.  I have a telephone appointment with my GP tomorrow and I'm still at work so haven't been able to Google yet...does anybody know if she should stop dancing for a while.  She's too weak at the minute anyway but I'm just wondering if anybody has been through this. Thanks.

• Like 1

DD takes a Vitamin D supplement every day - and has done for the last 3-4 years as she was advised by our GP that her fatigue at that time was likely due to her low levels of this.  It was at the time when she was starting to seriously study for her Academic exams.  I enquired about cutting back on her dancing commitments - our GP said it wasn't necessary.  She said if DD had the energy then it wasn't a problem.  As soon as she started taking this she felt a noticeable difference.

(As a family we take a Vitamin D supplement regularly - in fact it was recommended by the Scottish Government a few years ago.)

• Like 3

DD recently had blood tests for a ton of different things, no surprises to find she was low of Vit D considering she is in doors all day. She is on supplements and has continued as normal.  I suspect the main culprit was last academic year - Yr 11 and still training for 16 hrs a week, 7 days a week. She feels much better and definitely isn’t as tired. 

No one produces Vitamin D as far north as the UK or IE during the winter, so if your diet isn't pretty high in it there's a good chance you'll be deficient even if you're outside all day - I suspect without evidence that growing and training kids use it up faster. If you're darker skinned there's a good chance you'll be deficient anyway, so I think the advice these days is that supplementing (or eating a lot of oily fish) is probably a good idea. We tend to take supplements during the winter somewhat haphazardly. 

• Like 4

I was only thinking about this the other day, as DD has been very tired lately, and been inside a lot with school work or dancing!

what supplements does anyone take?  are there any 'nice' tasting ones? !!! ... more chance of DD taking it if it tastes ok!

Yes !you do need a doctor’s prescription. DD is on a 12 week prescribed dosage and it is a huge dosage. Once she has finished this she has to go on a daily multivitamin   I will add she has an incredible healthy diet, she genuinely doesn’t do junk food. 

• Like 1

Yes, I developed Vitamin D deficiency after we moved to the Midlands and my Indian G.P. said when the test results came back “No one here has enough Vitamin D and probably not in the whole country because there’s never any proper sun!” :D

• Like 5

The Dept of Health does recommend vitamin D for all in the winter in the UK- it's not well advertised.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/phe-publishes-new-advice-on-vitamin-d

The clinical significance of low vitamin D on bloods is uncertain - it has been a hot topic in medical literature in recent years. But I'm sure all our dc should be taking vitamin D daily.

As always it has turned into a marketing opportunity for vitamin companies! Personally I have found Boots own brand plain vit D tablets to be the cheapest. Beware if buying calcium/vit D combos as this often has less than the recommended 10 mcg of vitamin D in!! Again evidence on calcium supplements is lacking in non elderly. But if my dc didn't eat dairy I would consider calcium also. I haven't done any chewable tab/liquid research. And best of all get them out in the sun!!

Edited by sarahw
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Pixiewoo said:

I was only thinking about this the other day, as DD has been very tired lately, and been inside a lot with school work or dancing!

what supplements does anyone take?  are there any 'nice' tasting ones? !!! ... more chance of DD taking it if it tastes ok!

Get her a blood test. DD has been prescribed a high dose of Vitamin D. One of her dance teachers recommended Berocca plus a teenager multi vitamin. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  She has been prescribed a high Vitamin D dosage. When you think about it our DC do spend so much time indoors.  Having read up though, @sarahw is right  - it's recommended we all have extra during the winter months.  Thanks for your help everyone.  

• Like 4

I was feeling exhausted all the time and it went on for months. It was really starting to get me down. Had bloods done and I was deficient in both vitamin D and iron, so the GP gave me tablets. But ever since then, for about the last year I have been taking a one a day multivitamin with iron . They are Sainsburys own brand so are cheap. I've noticed a huge difference in my energy levels. I always buy the bottle of 60, so I know i'm going to have enough for two continuous months before needing to buy new ones.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Fiz said:

If someone is truly Vitamin D deficient, ordinary multivitamins aren’t strong enough. You need a doctor’s prescription. 

Or at least a guide to the minimum amount you should take every day. I'm low in Vitamin D and my GP specified 1000 "units" a day.  I can't tolerate Vitamin tablets though so I use a spray that (in theory) gets into the bloodstream without going via the stomach:   https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/betteryou-dlux1000-vitamin-d-oral-spray-60092746?skuid=092746&&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&gclid=CjwKCAjwoKDXBRAAEiwA4xnqv0ncZf8xtkdie8BBJCwnVZupIfDRHGvPpp-Ym5cQ7kZsxCIASzPzWxoCkNkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

800 international units (iU) is the same as 10 mcg rec by DOH.

It would be interesting to know what % of the population are vit D deficient on blood tests. I am - discovered when bloods were done for another medical problem.....

• Like 4

It seems to be very common. My son has a restricted diet due to a medical problem, and his forbidden foods include all dairy produce. His vitamin D has always been OK, but towards the lower end of the normal range. His consultant has commented several times that it's  unusual that he is not deficient as a high percentage of our local population (we're in the north of England) are lacking, even on a "normal" diet. I presume it's down to his dislike of long trousers!

• Like 2