Peter Schaufuss opening full-time ballet school in Edinburgh

RHowarth

I’m sure this has already been covered in the links forum, but I missed it and have just read it in this week’s Stage. Peter Schaufuss is opening a full time ballet school in Edinburgh in 2019, with a launch event in March of this year. Applications for March close early Feb. Www.edinburghfestivalballet.co.uk. 

• Like 2

I assume this is also going to be for 16+, at least to start with? The website asks for applications from 14+ but if I'm reading correctly, the full-time school won't open until at least Autumn 2019.  There's no mention of academic qualifications so one could assume it will be an Upper School? 

• 2 years later...

Hi Janet, thanks for those. Appreciated

without saying too much - just need options for entry this year. Have looked/progressed both and just wanted any more views on Edinburgh as its so new. Talking to the school and working through other auditions :)

Regards

🤞

Welcome from me too, @Drballet.  If I may offer a personal perspective, it would be not to jump from the frying pan into a potential fire out of desperation and time constraints.  This is absolutely nothing against Edinburgh Festival Ballet or indeed any other full time establishment but I would read the terms and conditions of schools - especially newish ones and private ones - in minute detail, to check for things like:

• Penalty clauses for withdrawal from the course
  • Injury policy - things like does the school assume any responsibility for injury during training
  • Accommodation providers - are these independent and inspected
  • Qualification offered and by which board. 
  • Pastoral care - if you can get views of this from current and past parents, so much the better
  • Accountability - is the school “owned” by one person/family, is there a Board of Governors, is the school inspected and by whom, what do these inspection actually inspect, and so on. 

Also worth remembering is that there are other options, especially at 15/16, even if one option is going back to academic school or college, then applying for 18+ dance training.   

Wishing you and your dc the very best of luck going forward.

• Like 4

Thanks Anna - this is brilliant advice.

The thread on Edinburgh is for an 18+ student of mine due to go to college this year. My other vocational students will remain at my dance school & their local school and I am looking at Associate training for them.

The list is appreciated 

Great to have "found" this forum

🥰

• Like 2

Just now, Drballet said:

Thanks Anna - this is brilliant advice.

The thread on Edinburgh is for an 18+ student of mine due to go to college this year. My other vocational students will remain at my dance school & their local school and I am looking at Associate training for them.

The list is appreciated 

Great to have "found" this forum

🥰

You’re most welcome.  We are here if you have any questions. 👍🏻

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2021 at 17:04, Mummy twinkle toes said:

Dd1 has just been offered a full time place. The training looks great and I can see they were advertising in the Dancing Times. I just wondered if anyone has any other views or opinions? 

Congratulations. I have a student of mine there and she is loving the training and the city (even in these strange-COVID times).  

• 10 months later...
On 03/02/2021 at 17:04, Mummy twinkle toes said:

Dd1 has just been offered a full time place. The training looks great and I can see they were advertising in the Dancing Times. I just wondered if anyone has any other views or opinions? 

Hi there, 

Just wondering if your dd went to EFB in the end? DS has just been offered a full time place there and we're trying to make decisions so looking for updates on how people are finding it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/01/2022 at 09:45, mum5678 said:

Hi there, 

Just wondering if your dd went to EFB in the end? DS has just been offered a full time place there and we're trying to make decisions so looking for updates on how people are finding it. 

DD is there. We have found the ballet teaching and faculty to be excellent and varied with regular performance opportunities too. She is very happy and enjoys the independence of living in Edinburgh ; she's adapted remarkably well considering she's only 16 and hundreds of miles from home. The school promotes a sense of belonging and Peter Schaufuss is actively involved. 

• Like 3

On 25/01/2022 at 22:52, Encroix said:

DD is there. We have found the ballet teaching and faculty to be excellent and varied with regular performance opportunities too. She is very happy and enjoys the independence of living in Edinburgh ; she's adapted remarkably well considering she's only 16 and hundreds of miles from home. The school promotes a sense of belonging and Peter Schaufuss is actively involved. 

Thank you so much! It's definitely a firm favourite at the moment... we're currently in a predicament with the 6 week deadline to let them know but he'd really like to finish his auditions first, which of course overruns that by a week or two! We've asked if they'll consider an extension by a couple of weeks so 🤞

Really good to hear all the good 'feels' he experienced on the day are well founded. 

Xx