Unsure after first pointe fitting

Viv

I had my first pointe shoe fitting today (exciting!) but after leaving I have a few concerns as it didn't really go the way I was expecting and I'm not a huge fan of the shoes themselves...

By way of background, I'm 23 years old, started dancing three years ago and am starting IF this year. My teacher has just approved me for pointe and told me to go see a particular fitter at a particular store because my teacher trusts her. My feet are two different sizes (very different) and I have a disappearing heel which I've been told will make my feet hard to fit. I went in prepared with this knowledge but I'm still a little disappointed with how it played out.

First of all, the fitter didn't ever actually look at my feet... She told me to take my socks off and pull my tights (convertible) down all with her back to me. So she never got a sense of length of toes, shape of toes, height, width, anything. Never considered toe spacers when I know my big toe points inwards slightly. She gave me some ouch pouches and then just thrust shoes at me. The first ones she tried were Bloch European Balance and she decided they weren't right, so she tried Bloch Heritage (I think they only stocked bloch) which she said she loved. I then asked if there were any others I could try on, if for no other reason than to feel what the wrong shoe feels like. Her and the assistant both looked at me like I was crazy and refused, the main fitter saying 'if you want to feel bad shoes, put the Euro Balance back on'. So I did, and on flat it feels like my feet are being squashed, they're actually painful and I was getting pins and needles in the 5 minutes I was just standing in them. When up en pointe they felt fine as my heel gets smaller and they size is just right. The fitter says 'well you'll be up there all the time so it doesn't matter what it feels like on flat, besides, this is ballet not basketball you just have to deal with it'. And then decides that it's the Euro Balances she previously didn't like which are now the perfect shoe and that's what she sold me...

My question is - will they stretch at all through wearing? Will they feel better when they're broken in? Are they really supposed to be that tight? Is it better to fit to a pointed foot than a flat one?

I'm so new to this, I really don't know what to be concerned about and what is normal, but it was a pretty unpleasant experience and sort of soured my excitement at finally being ready to progress. My teacher still has to approve them before I sew anything and I'll raise my concerns with her, but I'm a little worried that I'm making a mountain out of a molehill and I don't want to insult a fitter she clearly trusts and sends all her students to.

Sorry for the essay, any advise greatly appreciated!

Take the shoes back and go elsewhere. Shoes must fit properly on flat and in demi plie. Apart from plain rises, every releve or pose onto pointe starts and ends in demi plie. Of course they must also fit well on standing on pointe, but a bit of extra bunching of the heel fabric doesn't matter, particularly at the beginning levels.

• Like 4

Hello Viv and welcome to the Forum.

There are lots of topics on Doing Dance about pointe shoe fitting.  I've added tags to the top of your post.  If you click on them they will bring up lists of topics where pointes are mentioned.

Here's a rather nice topic about a youngster's recent experience: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/14015-lovely-pointe-shoe-fitting/?hl=fitting

If you don't mind letting us know the broad area where you are based other members may come up with suggestions of where they have experienced good service.

• Like 1

My first fitting wasn't great, they did look at my feet but didn't explain how pointe shoes should feel and I got bruised toes. This was a fitter which some people on here recommend too. I don't think everywhere is as good with adults as they are with young people and of course if you have easier to fit feet the whole thing will be a simpler process! Although their customer service was dreadful the shoes aren't necessarily wrong, I would show them to your teacher. in answer to your question yes most shoes stretch, how much depends on the brand, Bloch don't suit me so not sure about those. The stretch is in the width though. If they have hard wings these also soften and feel much more comfy. I didn't find the Bloch particularly hard though. Most people have slightly different size feet, how different are yours?

Edited by Moomin

Oh my :( that's an awful first pointe shoe experience. I agree with pas de quatre, take them back and go somewhere else. You need to be able to try LOTS of pointe shoes on to be able to decide what feels right!

Your feet should always be assessed before you get near a pair of shoes, as should your general strength, core and any injuries or weaknesses noted.

Sometimes first timers are unsure whether they are sinking in their shoes and bearing weight on their toes or not, so we get them to try a wider shoe on and whilst safely sitting, then put their foot onto pointe so they know what the wrong shoe feels like.

Your foot is at its biggest when you are on flat in a pile in 2nd. In this position your toes should still be straight and flat, not scrunched up in the shoes. Shoes have to fit in this position, and also in the shorter position when you rise on to pointe (without the sinking I mentioned above!)

I don't know where you're based, but if you're able to get to our shops in either Southend or Wisbech you're welcome to visit for a fitting x

• Like 2

Thank you for all your replies :) I am based in Australia, so a little out of the way for most of you haha. I just found that this site made so much more sense than any of the American based ones, particularly for someone training in RAD. I've been stalking for a while before signing up.

I will definitely be taking the shoes to my teacher, I trust her implicitly and I feel more comfortable discussing my concerns with her than the lady at the shop who I umm...didn't quite click with. If my teacher says they're right, then I will chalk it up as a new experience and just get on with learning how to use the things properly (though will probably go elsewhere when it's time for my next pair of pointes).

Hello Viv and welcome to the Forum.

There are lots of topics on Doing Dance about pointe shoe fitting.  I've added tags to the top of your post.  If you click on them they will bring up lists of topics where pointes are mentioned.

Here's a rather nice topic about a youngster's recent experience: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/14015-lovely-pointe-shoe-fitting/?hl=fitting

If you don't mind letting us know the broad area where you are based other members may come up with suggestions of where they have experienced good service.

Thank you Janet for the link. I think I may have gone a little crazy reading other peoples experiences recently to get a feel for how a fitting should go, which is why I was so surprised with how mine went. I'm open to the idea that I may have been unrealistic in my expectations.

My first fitting wasn't great, they did look at my feet but didn't explain how pointe shoes should feel and I got bruised toes. This was a fitter which some people on here recommend too. I don't think everywhere is as good with adults as they are with young people and of course if you have easier to fit feet the whole thing will be a simpler process! Although their customer service was dreadful the shoes aren't necessarily wrong, I would show them to your teacher. in answer to your question yes most shoes stretch, how much depends on the brand, Bloch don't suit me so not sure about those. The stretch is in the width though. If they have hard wings these also soften and feel much more comfy. I didn't find the Bloch particularly hard though. Most people have slightly different size feet, how different are yours?

My left foot is at least a half size bigger, if not more. It is also a lot more arched and almost a different shape than the right one. I like to think of my feet as 'sisters' rather than twins.

Oh my :( that's an awful first pointe shoe experience. I agree with pas de quatre, take them back and go somewhere else. You need to be able to try LOTS of pointe shoes on to be able to decide what feels right!

Your feet should always be assessed before you get near a pair of shoes, as should your general strength, core and any injuries or weaknesses noted.

Sometimes first timers are unsure whether they are sinking in their shoes and bearing weight on their toes or not, so we get them to try a wider shoe on and whilst safely sitting, then put their foot onto pointe so they know what the wrong shoe feels like.

Your foot is at its biggest when you are on flat in a pile in 2nd. In this position your toes should still be straight and flat, not scrunched up in the shoes. Shoes have to fit in this position, and also in the shorter position when you rise on to pointe (without the sinking I mentioned above!)

I don't know where you're based, but if you're able to get to our shops in either Southend or Wisbech you're welcome to visit for a fitting x

Sheila, I have heard such good things about your store, maybe if I ever make it back above the equator! Just to confirm, my technique and strength were assessed by my teacher over a 6 month period before giving me the okay, and then I needed a written note from a podiatrist saying there was no structural or functional issues before she'd let me get fitted, so at least I can feel confident that the rest of the process has been done right.

Go somewhere else!! You may end up with the first shoe you try but you only know that by trying plenty. The fitting could easily take an hour and you should leave happy. There may also be personality issues as with any relationship.

The whole fitting took about 15 minutes and they were almost chasing me out of the shop, even though I made an appointment :( They actually sent me off without ribbons even though they had charged me for them! 

• Like 1

Hi Viv - what a horrible experience! You are not alone, myself and many adult dancers I have spoken to have had bad experiences at pointe shoe fittings in London shops. I think often non-professional adult pointe dancers aren't taken very seriously...

I would say, first, ask your teacher to check your shoes for fit and to see if she thinks they suit your feet. Don't sew on ribbons or wear them around the house. You may need to return them, and to do so they will need to be in perfect condition.

Your toes shouldn't feel scrunched on flat, and they shouldn't be so tight that they make your feet tingle. Pointe shoes do generally stretch a lot and as they break in they mold to your feet, so they do become more comfortable. Don't expect them to feel comfy when new :) No dancer dances in pointe shoes as they come off the shelf. Once you've found a suitable size and model your teacher can help you to break in the shoe in the best way for your feet.

If your teacher agrees the shoes are not right for you, you need to try different sizes, makes and models. It's a loooonngg learning curve and as you do more pointe you'll know more what you require. I found it helped to take along a classmate to the shops for moral support! Good luck!

• Like 2

Hi Viv - what a horrible experience! You are not alone, myself and many adult dancers I have spoken to have had bad experiences at pointe shoe fittings in London shops. I think often non-professional adult pointe dancers aren't taken very seriously...

I would say, first, ask your teacher to check your shoes for fit and to see if she thinks they suit your feet. Don't sew on ribbons or wear them around the house. You may need to return them, and to do so they will need to be in perfect condition.

Your toes shouldn't feel scrunched on flat, and they shouldn't be so tight that they make your feet tingle. Pointe shoes do generally stretch a lot and as they break in they mold to your feet, so they do become more comfortable. Don't expect them to feel comfy when new :) No dancer dances in pointe shoes as they come off the shelf. Once you've found a suitable size and model your teacher can help you to break in the shoe in the best way for your feet.

If your teacher agrees the shoes are not right for you, you need to try different sizes, makes and models. It's a loooonngg learning curve and as you do more pointe you'll know more what you require. I found it helped to take along a classmate to the shops for moral support! Good luck!

Thanks _emeralds, I wish I could say 'it's nice to know I'm not alone' but really, I prefer not to think of other adult students having these difficulties. I think the only thing to do at this point is keep 'em safe and clean and fall upon the knowledge my teacher. Definitely no ribbons going on before then and trust me, it's not so tempting to wear these shoes around the house lest my feet drop off hahaha.

• Like 1

Viv, what a horrible experience! We had the same thing happen to my youngest DD twice. A ballet shop that was closing down in London palmed us off with a pair that were awful and then her new ballet teacher send her to her mother who ran a shop and was determined that my daughter would fit into on pair of Blochs or another. She had a hideous time trying to dance en pointe and if Sheila had been around then, I would never have gone anywhere else.

• Like 1

Your teacher can be a useful guide but is not actually wearing your shoes!!

It's years since I've worn pointe shoes so cannot be that much help but although they tend to feel a little tight around the block your toes should not be scrunched up as you describe.....off the cuff it doesn't sound like they are right for you and the fitter obviously didn't know either!

Maybe you would feel embarrassed to take the shoes back so feel you should "put up and shut up" so to speak but honestly your feet deserve the best pair you can find for them ........though personally I never found them that comfortable until worn in and I did tend to wear them until soft .....not really advisable ....but you don't want to start causing any more trouble for your feet than absolutely necessary!

If you are advised to take them back eventually perhaps going along with a friend for a bit of moral support is a good idea.

If you live anywhere near Sydney do let me know as have a couple of ballet dancing friends there and ...now ...wise mums who might be able to help etc.

Keep us posted as to what happens!

I they're wrong, I have no problem with taking them back, I would only feel embarrassed to take them back if they're actually fine and I'm just being overly sensitive... It's just such a new feeling and hard to tell the difference between 'uncomfortable' and 'wrong'. I've had a full nights sleep at least now though (I was operating on 3 hours sleep at the time of the fitting) I am back to being excited about the whole thing and the fitting itself has faded in my mind :)

Unfortunately, I'm on the other side of the country from Sydney which limits my options further. I know a store here where I've witnessed a really good fitting before though, I just wish I had trusted my gut and gone there originally.

• Like 1

My DD has feet which are different sizes,she now knows exactly which Gaynors fit her even so we are always in the shop for at least 30mins, she tries loads of different ones on ( makes,sizes etc) Her feet having grown for 2 years but you can never be sure.

The way she fully understand what was right and what was wrong was feeling her feet slip in shoes too big. She didn't have that in her first 3 fittings and then we changed shops.

I think what I am saying is this : keep the pair you have for now, don't sew the ribbons in BUT go to another shop and see what they give you.

Dancing en pointe isn't easy in the beginning which is one of the many reasons you need to have a correctly fitted shoe.

• Like 1

Update: teacher could see the heel cutting in and wanted to see the half size bigger. These she are concerned are too big, though only a little bit. She says ideally I'd fit somewhere between the two sizes (if only bloch made quarter sizes!) but we've decided to go with the small ones this time and hope that when broken in they stretch a bit and toes can stay long with no pins and needles. We shall see! This is just my first pair, so of course it won't be perfect :)

Now another question - how long did it take you all to sew your first pair? I will have no chance to sew them until Saturday morning, and I need to know how early I need to get up before morning class to get it done haha.

• Like 1

Luckily I am saved from darning for now! It doesn't seem to be a big thing in my area, the stick on patches are generally preferred.

I think I will go with a more conservative estimate because my sewing is tragic and wake up an hour and a half earlier than normal. This way I'll have time to unpick the whole thing and start again, stick myself with the needle and clean up the blood, then cry in frustration for a couple of minutes. All before breakfast :D

• Like 6

Went out last night and when I came home I was too wired to sleep so I sewed instead haha. Stayed up till 1am but was rewarded as we did pointe in class today and I was able to join in. I swear, it's way more comfortable up en pointe than it is trying to walk around with them flat! I thought it should be the other way around. 

Edited by Viv
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...