Great British Break-Up

taxi4ballet

I won't be watching it once it's on Channel 4. It would be the poorer anyway for having adverts, but the thought of Bake Off without Mel, Sue and Mary is an absolute no-no. I really hoped Paul would stick to his guns so that the Beeb at least had the possibility of making a baking show with the same presenters and judges, albeit with some changes for legal reasons.

• Like 5

Well, some heads are going to roll at C4. Who contracts to buy a show for millions of pounds without ensuring that 'the talent' are signed up? It's possible that contracts have not been signed or that the deal is conditional on the talent coming on board and that we will hear that the deal is off in the next few days or weeks.

I must say that I hadn't realised how many programmes shown on the BBC are in fact made by outside companies. Is this a recent phenomenon? Presumably, the poor old BBC carries most or all of the risk.

• Like 2

It's been going on for some years ... and not only on the BBC.

If you look at the end credits many programmes are made by outside production companies.  I think there was a government initiative some years ago to increase competition, quality and variety...

Hmmm - questionable!

• Like 2

I will be boycotting Bake Off when it moves to Channel 4. I think the BBC should have asked its 10 million viewers to chip in to keep it. I would have paid my share just to be able to watch it without endless adverts!

Not that I've ever watched an episode but don't we pay for it currently with the TV licence.

• Like 2

They tried to re-create it over here with Paul Hollywood but not Mary, and it didn't do very well.

I was reading that at the beginning the producers were trying to make it more emotional and competitive, and Mel and Sue insisted that they stop trying to make the bakers cry so they could have more "human-interest" content. So as long as Mel and Sue were the ones who turned the Bake-Off into the cooperative and gentle show it's become, I rather dread to think what the production company will do with it once it's on a commercial channel and only has Paul from the original group.

It sounds as though the BBC might try and do its own baking show, presumably with Mel, Sue, and Mary as the core group. They'll have to figure out a different format but it shouldn't be impossible.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Gillian Anderson for me....

Mr C would be right there with you. ;)

DD and I are rooting for Jane, although there are two elements of sadness in our anticipation - one that lovely Selasi has departed, two that this will be the last "proper" episode of Bake Off. With adverts, and without Mel, Sue and Mary, it will surely lose a huge percentage of viewers. Me included. :(

• Like 2

I find it very therapeutic. I love Mary Berry anyway and apart from the excitement of CustardGate™ and FreezerGate™, it's such a gentle, summery programme. Mel and Sue are so funny and strike up a great relationship with the contestants. There's nothing brash about the programme. It's just wonderful. :)

• Like 4

Am I the only person in Britain who has never seen a single episode?

(Mind you, I've never seen a single episode of East Enders, either)

No, I have never watched Bake Off either. I thought I may be the only one as well! I have watched various cookery shows over the years but this one passed me by, mostly because Sue Perkins is in it and I know people like her but she just sets my teeth on edge.

I quite enjoy some cookery programmes, but I just never got into this one.  

I bake quite a lot myself, but from what I have read about it, there is such an emphasis on producing works of art, that it never really appealed to me.  My efforts always look effortlessly home made!  (Not so much soggy bottoms as wonky tops.). 

• Like 2

Did anyone watch Harry Hill's Tea Time? The Sunday Times review considered it the nastiest thing on tv, no ingredient could be added to make it any worse! The format included fake Greek food, slapstick, mess, lazy national stereotypes and special guest Paul Hollywood. It's on Sky apparently.

You lucky people! You could watch the whole lot on iPlayer, YouTube, repeats or whatever!! Jacqueline, Sue is only one tiny part of it, so probably wouldn't be a problem because the positives would far outweigh her!

I hear what you are saying but even the suggestion of her presence is enough for me to reach for the off switch.

Having said that, I was just channel hopping and came across a repeat of Bake Off, which seemed to be about meringues. There were numerous references to bottoms and a lengthy close up of a contestant on her hands and knees peering into an oven. Filmed from behind, she told us she was on crack watch. She wasn't the only one!