Another controversial photo from Dance Direct....

dancerbabe82

Hi everyone - I wondered what everyone thinks of the photo Dance Direct have put on their FB page today!

Personally, I think it's good to show that a famous professional ballet dancer looks strong and athletic, but it appears that others aren't too sure!

It's here: https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/photo.php?fbid=10150964635150827&set=a.260130305826.141671.122638350826&type=1&theater

I saw this too. Doesn't really fit with my idea of a ballerina but how much do the tights conceal? Maybe I have the wrong idea!

DD's legs always look better in her tights - not that they look this picture!

• Like 1

I think tights do conceal a certain amount of muscle tone, but they wouldn't be able to conceal the size of the muscles. I'm a ballet novice, but from what the dance physio has been telling dd, I didn't think that the quads were supposed to be that developed in ballerinas? Isn't it more about long, lean muscles and using the inner thighs for resistance?

• Like 1

I can't make out whether she's really sitting into her hyper extension or whether her legs are so muscular that they don't look straight anymore! Not that I'm criticising Miss Copeland! She's an absolute heroine to lots of people, isn't she?

I've been looking at more pictures of her on google/images and she certainly looks smoother in tights.

In this picture she is pushing back on her knees which might be a contributing factor to how the calf muscle developed. Genetics could also be a factor (for all of us).

As for the thigh muscles - I've seen many a ballerina undressed backstage in the dressingroom and seldom have seen this type of development. But, we are all different.

Very interesting, because if you google "Misty Copeland Legs" (not a phrase I have ever thought about googling!) there are many images of Ms Copeland's legs, the vast majority of which show extremely muscular calves and quads which look more like a professional athlete than a dancer. In fact if you cover the pointe shoes, her legs look as if they belong to a weightlifter.

I don't mean any insult by that; those muscles are hard earned, but they are not legs that I have ever seen on a ballerina.

I didn't "like" this and will admit when i first so the pic I had not read the caption and thought it a man. I know, blame middle age! Gymnastics is not ballet and I hate the increasing concentration on this. The artistry is lost when gymnastics are the focus. I have never seen her dance but must say don't feel any ballerina I have seen as appeared as such. Whether this is camera work, styling who knows. Honestly though i wonder if you looked at a hurdler, for argument sake, the muscles would be this exaggerated.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's camera work because there are several more photos on google of her in similar poses, looking like a professional - and incredibly toned - bodybuilder.

Each to their own, eh? :-)

I think she looks intriguing. I would love to see her dance. Imagine the power. I feel a little upset about people's reaction to a picture of a succesful ballet dancer who has managed to fight her way to the top despite not having the perceived "correct" body type. After all the discussions on here and worries that we have about our children going into an industry that may reject them at any point if they grow too big or wide or aren't tall enough. Yes we all like different things but how dull would life be if we didn't give new things a chance once in a while.

• Like 8

The picture turns my stomach, for two reasons: firstly the angle between her thighs and her lower legs, and secondly the fact that my brain insists that her thighs are facing forwards while her knees are turned out! And the cut of the leotard doesn't improve things.

Fortunately, I've seen Ms Copeland dance on several occasions, and she's never looked like that.

Edit: and where that YT clip has stopped on my computer (in mid-jeté) only reinforces my feelings about split jetés. Ugh.

• Like 4

Funny how she talks about ballet remaining pure and true to its origins and yet she's doing super high leg extensions and over split leaps lol!

Fab dancer, very muscly but yes the tights and proper clothing make her seem less so.

• Like 1

I have been tempted to look at misty copeland on you tube and was quite impressed at her beautiful figure as well as her dancing. Misty certainly has a more curvacious figure with a fuller bust and hips. Maybe because misty does not appear to fit into the typical shape that most ballet fans expect to see this is why there is alot of controversy around the development of her leg muscles. I also think that with age muscles can develop more, there may not be many dancers or sports people who would have the same size muscles at 20 as what they do at 30. I also found a video of misty dancing at 15 and she did appear to have the expected ballet body that everyone is used to seeing. The video write up stated she had only been dancing a few years, quite impressive.

Ax

I think that the whole photograph is designed to be controversial. The cut of the leotard and the tattoo peeping out are very unflattering. It also confirms (for me) something that Anjuli said in another thread, namely, ballerinas really should wear tights. Both scrawny and very muscly legs look far better in tights.

• Like 3

I think she looks intriguing. I would love to see her dance. Imagine the power. I feel a little upset about people's reaction to a picture of a succesful ballet dancer who has managed to fight her way to the top despite not having the perceived "correct" body type. After all the discussions on here and worries that we have about our children going into an industry that may reject them at any point if they grow too big or wide or aren't tall enough. Yes we all like different things but how dull would life be if we didn't give new things a chance once in a while.

That's a really good point. I confess I looked at the photo and went "ewww", but your comment made me re think.

• Like 1

This goes back to a point which I made on another thread, namely, the trend for female dancers wearing leotards (without skirts) and pants/vests, often without tights, requires a very specific physique which as well as being extremely thin and rather androgynous has little visible muscle. I personally really like the leotards with attached skirts which I have seen the female dancers wear in Balanchine's Apollo and Ballo della Regina recently. I find them very attractive and flattering on the dancers.