RIP Alan Rickman

taxi4ballet

Yes, I heard this earlier.  One my fave actors of the past 30 years.  Gosh, another one gone from cancer aged 69.  They say it comes in threes, and we've had Lemmy, David Bowie and now Alan Rickman.  I really hope that is it for a while.  RIP Alan.

• Like 4

Sad news about Alan Rickman. He first came to my attention many years ago, when he was a marvellous Obediah Slope in The Barchester Chronicles. He was excellent in everything he did and is a great loss to the acting world. My sincere condolences to his family.

I met him once when we happened to attend the same meeting in London,and afterwards some of us repaired to a pub, where Alan bought me a drink. He was charming and completely unluvvielike. RIP Alan Rickman.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 4

Alan was a true gentleman and a honest and committed visionary.  Heaven knows they don't grow on trees.  His support for the Charity I had the privilege to co-found with Dorothy Tutin - alongside so many other significant causes he supported - always went beyond the call of anyone's duty and was always brandished with his own stunning modesty and zealous determination for a better good.  I was heartsick when I read of his death today.  May he rest in the glorious peace which he so, SO richly deserves.  There is no question but that Alan's is a life well worth celebrating.  Well done, Alan.  WELL DONE!  You always were and forever more will remain a star of keen social and artistic significance.   The firmament is indeed blessed.  We should and DO know.  We too were lucky to have you in our midst.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 7

What shocking and sad news. I remember with great affection his portrayal of Mr Slope in the Barchester Chronicles, which pretty much ensured that nobody else could ever be Professor Snape. Considering how many British character actors are going strong in their 80s, I think we've been cheated out of many wonderful years of brilliant acting from him.

• Like 3

It's sad and shocking news.   favourite film:  Truly, Madly, Deeply in which he played his part superbly.  

Favourite line from a film:  "and cut their hearts out with a spoon" from Robin Hood

RIP Alan Rickman.  The world of entertainment is a much sadder place without you!

• Like 2

My favourite of his roles was Colonel Brandon in Ang Lee's brilliant version of Sense and Sensibility. There's a beautiful moment when the Colonel is reading to Marianne while she recuperates, and in that velvety voice, he recites some Edmund Spenser:

"For whatsoever from one place doth fall,

Is with the tide unto another brought:

For there is nothing lost, that may be found, if sought."

I can imagine anyone recovering quickly with fresh seaside air and Alan Rickman reading aloud. What a great loss.

• Like 2

favourite film:  Truly, Madly, Deeply in which he played his part superbly.  

Ah.  Truly, Madly, Deeply.  Marvellous film, but SO sad.  I made the mistake of going to see it in the cinema, and was desperately trying to stop myself from HOWLING.  I know I usually cry a bit at sad films anyway, but this was just on a completely different plane ...

My favourite of his roles was Colonel Brandon in Ang Lee's brilliant version of Sense and Sensibility. There's a beautiful moment when the Colonel is reading to Marianne while she recuperates, and in that velvety voice, he recites some Edmund Spenser:

I'd forgotten that.  It's a great scene.  To think we shall never hear that voice again :(

• Like 3