Humorous mind wandering

annaliesey

Had to giggle at DD today. She told me she had a different english teacher today. She said her mind kept drifting thinking about ballet all lesson as this new teacher had lovely body, feet, knees and neck. DD said she couldn't stop staring wondering if she was a dancer.

Just thought it was amusing as I could imagine this poor teacher wondering why DD staring at her and not getting her work done quickly enough :)

• Like 6

Gowiththeflo - I think they are good (aesthetically) but can be bad (weak structurally). Basically I think they are a ballet *thing* (DD wishes she had swaybacks) and though not necessary are desirable, though need careful training to ensure the hyperextension is controlled and used correctly? (Happy to be corrected if this is wrong).

• Like 1

I was actually once guilty of approaching a perfectly strange young woman on a tube train and asking her if she happened to be a ballet dancer!   She absolutely looked like one and I was so curious I just had to know  -  after all that she wasn't one!

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 4

DD & I were standing on a platform at a station (ordinary hair & makeup) & the rail worker on the platform asked if she enjoyed her dance classes - she was standing in third apparently!

At Blackpool we were regularly recognised by out competition hair & make up & because at the time DH was the only male black dance teacher

• Like 1

I think there is an identifiable "look" even out of dancewear. I recently met someone at work and wasn't in the slightest bit surprised to hear that she had been at White Lodge as a child - even 30+ years later she still looks every inch a ballet dancer. DD and I have on occasion followed likely looking mum/daughter combos out of railway stations when on our way to unfamiliar dance related venues and have almost always found that the couple we have chosen to follow has led us right to where we need to be!

The same goes for other things as well though. My youngest child has recently taken up cycling and there is a definite style there too. He also plays hockey, and doesn't have the typical build for that at all, so I quite enjoy sitting in the velodrome safe in the knowledge that there he will not be pointed out as "the skinny kid"! I think its a combination of physical attributes, posture and the fact that a lot of kids (and indeed adults) who are into the same sports and activities tend to favour the same style of dress, brands of clothing, bags etc.

If you are in the "tribe" you can often spot other members by things that might go unnoticed by the uninitiated.

• Like 4

... DD and I have on occasion followed likely looking mum/daughter combos out of railway stations when on our way to unfamiliar dance related venues and have almost always found that the couple we have chosen to follow has led us right to where we need to be!

Haha snap :)

Actually it's more noticeable going down the steps - as in point your foot, put it down through the ball into a nicely turned out position and repeat all the way down the stairs!  If you're wearing a party frock and were coming down the grand staircase from the Opera House Crush Bar, in the days when there was a vast mirror in front of you, then you would also hold your head high and hold out the frill on your skirt too and of course admire yourself in the mirror as you're doing so  :lol:

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 2

Actually it's more noticeable going down the steps - as in point your foot, put it down through the ball into a nicely turned out position and repeat all the way down the stairs!  If you're wearing a party frock and were coming down the grand staircase from the Opera House Crush Bar, in the days when there was a vast mirror in front of you, then you would also hold your head high and hold out the frill on your skirt too and of course admire yourself in the mirror as you're doing so  :lol:

Ah....brings back memories....early 20's, first trip to Paris with a  friend...trying to be oh so sophisticated & doing my best 'well, I am a dancer' walk down a grand sweeping stone staircase in the Louve......& yep - you've guessed it.....'ba dum ba dum ba dum ba dum' I think is the sound affect to give you the picture!!!

• Like 2

Lema - i think it's when you have hyper (over)extension of the knees. It can look nice eg in grand jet as it makes the split position look extended beyond 180.

Well, *if* you think that looks nice. Personally, I hate it :) Takes all sorts :)

• Like 1

Me and DD are totally guilty of this too. We can be heard whispering on crowded tube trains, "Look at her Swaybacks." The rest of the family think we have gone crazy.

Hah, I empathise! I never realised how much I must talk about these things until one time when out and about, the other half saw me lost in admiration and staring at a ballet poster. He said (in 'Minion' voice):

'Banana!'

He wasn't wrong either: she had lovely high arches!

Swayback knees, though, I could grumble about for hours. By default in first position my knees are in first while my feet are in some sort of scrappy ten-centimetres-apart nothing-much non-position. The various bits of my knee joints have weird and painful ideas about where they should be, too. Admittedly they look nice on proper dancers  :)

Hah, I empathise! I never realised how much I must talk about these things until one time when out and about, the other half saw me lost in admiration and staring at a ballet poster. He said (in 'Minion' voice):

'Banana!'

He wasn't wrong either: she had lovely high arches!

Swayback knees, though, I could grumble about for hours. By default in first position my knees are in first while my feet are in some sort of scrappy ten-centimetres-apart nothing-much non-position. The various bits of my knee joints have weird and painful ideas about where they should be, too. Admittedly they look nice on proper dancers  :)

Love the minion voice banana thing!! :D I think the DH's manage to keep our dance obsession in perspective with well placed humour from time to time!