Tesco`s Utter Stupidity.

Lisa O`Brien

I`ve just read on the Manchester Evening News Twitter feed that the Stretford [where I was brought up] branch of Tesco has thrown away £4,000 worth of brand new bikes. With Christmas coming and families struggling ,reading this has made me really angry. They should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. Just wanted to let people know what they have done.

I expect the bikes would be recycled. With parts missing some charities may not have wanted them. Who knows?

I get more irritated by food rejected by supermarkets because it's not attractive enough - Hugh F-W is on the case - but some folks commenting under the article seem to be getting themselves in a right old tizz about a few bikes in a skip.

Well I think it`s insane. They could have donated them to local shops to do up,fit the parts that are missing and pass them on to those who wanted them. If the missing parts are fitted properly there would be no come-back against them not working properly and someone being liable should a person be injured. Surely there can`t be that many parts to a bike,even one that has missing bits,that those parts can not be added safely to make them useable?  To throw them away is a scandalous waste,and I don`t care what anybody says.

Oh, and as for food being thrown away from supermarkets. I know for a fact that our local Marks and Spencer donates every single day of the working week, out of date food to the local addiction centre. They then get a cooked meal and snacks,often the best of stuff,that is out of date but still fit for human consumption. If M+S do this,in just one town, they and other supermarkets must do the same ,donating to similar charities ,in other towns and cities too.

Oh, and as for food being thrown away from supermarkets. I know for a fact that our local Marks and Spencer donates every single day of the working week, out of date food to the local addiction centre. They then get a cooked meal and snacks,often the best of stuff,that is out of date but still fit for human consumption. If M+S do this,in just one town, they and other supermarkets must do the same ,donating to similar charities ,in other towns and cities too.

I think KFC trialled a scheme like that - it's such a good idea. "Best before" dates err firmly on the side of caution anyway so if people can make use of perfectly good food then it's a winner all round.

I would have said that in these days of blame and claim culture any individual or company is going to be over-cautious even if it seems a waste to us.

Charities are very particular these days about what they will accept.  My niece had to junk a perfectly good leather covered sofa that had one tiny hole in one of the seams that you could not notice at all.  I am sure someone would have welcomed it, even as a short term measure, but none of the local charities would take it because it was not perfect.

• Like 3

Morrisons have started donating all their misshapped and left over food to charity - every supermarket should. 

The trouble isn't with what they do with unsold food - the issue is that many farmers specifically grow produce for particular supermarkets, who then refuse to buy all of it because it isn't the 'perfect' shape and size. The farmer can't find another buyer for his tonnes of perishable produce at short notice, and ends up going bankrupt.

• Like 1

The trouble isn't with what they do with unsold food - the issue is that many farmers specifically grow produce for particular supermarkets, who then refuse to buy all of it because it isn't the 'perfect' shape and size. The farmer can't find another buyer for his tonnes of perishable produce at short notice, and ends up going bankrupt.

That was shocking, wasn't it. :-( That poor Parsnip Farmer!

Talking of which - and I hope I'm not getting too political - I saw a reference to a report recently which claims that up to 90% of British farms would be likely to go bust if we leave the EU, because of the effect of losing the benefits of the Common Agricultural Policy.

Don't let's get into a discussion of the pros and cons of the EU, please.

OK folks....whilst we moderators love a political debate, could we please keep away from the politics on this forum, as stated in our AUP. As we have seen recently, it is very difficult to have heated debates in writing, so better to stop it before it starts!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I get a bit cross when I hear that hundreds of tons of fruit & vegetables are rejected by the supermarkets every week because they aren't exactly the right shape!

and the lack of amusingly misshapen vegetables has consequently killed off the Esther Rantzen show ;)

• Like 3