New Meningitis inoculations are available for students going to college in September

Katymac

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor DD had it yesterday (after I made all that fuss) & has had quite a reaction to it today :( (although it could be co-incidence)

I've suggested paracetamol/ibuprofen but she hasn't got any as she is at a sleep over & she has asked DH to go & collect her early

Edited to correct it

Edited by Katymac

My son had it other day and was quite poorly 24 hours later! Shivery, achy, really bad headache, temperature and arm very hot, swollen and redness just bigger than a tennis ball size and very hard!

that sounds horrible - how long did that last for sblick?

• Like 1

People do often have different reactions to injections. I've always been fine and usually non reactive ....except for cholera one ...was really ill for two days with that one I just hope it's life long!! It's the only thing I've ever reacted to and nobody really knows why. Anyway hope Both your Dcs feel better soon.

These meningitis jabs do seem really complicated well done to those persevering and getting what they need from the doctors. In my practice the receptionist is much more terrifying than the doctor!!

Also I do think it's worth filling out one of their comment forms so that the knowledge about young dancers gets around the NHS and I'm sure they will get it sorted eventually.

Happy birthday to your DD for the 18th CeliB only just re read this thread so a bit late! He must be getting excited about his new school now.

• Like 3

You've just got to keep in mind that the side effects of the vaccine pale into significance when compared to the disease itself. I was far more worried about vaccinations when my children were tiny, particularly as the MMR 'scare' was at its height when my son was a toddler. I remember having a travel vaccination years ago and feeling very flu-ey afterwards. I can't remember which one it was.

• Like 5

My DD had her's yesterday and had the sore arm. Then in the night she felt very headachy and couldn't sleep. This morning still the headache. Dosed her with paracetamol today so hoping she improves. When I asked her how she felt she said 'rubbish but it's better than getting meningitis' (-:

• Like 5

Yes, I've seen that and quoted it to my GP Practice. Unfortunately, they have to vaccinate Year 13s first and the PHE local expert for our area is saying that unfortunately the proportionally very small numbers of 16 year-olds going away to vocational school can't have it on the NHS at the moment:

"With so many pupils to vaccinate, the programme will be rolled out gradually, with year 13 pupils offered the vaccine first." Catch up for 16 year-olds won't happen for a while yet.

What I must try to find out is whether dd also needs a Men B vaccination.

What I must try to find out is whether dd also needs a Men B vaccination.

The Men B vaccine program is routine only for infants (well to be totally accurate up to 13 months) and those at higher risk of invasive disease (for the definitions see the Green Book https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/448875/2904185_Green_Book_Chapter_22_v3_0W_July2015.PDF).

But I think what you have to consider is that national vaccination programs are based on an economic evaluation of the cost and benefit on a POPULATION basis. A govt funded health service has to decide on a cut off point for funding any health program after which the cost is not justified as resources are finite, and they have to consider what other valuable treatments they could fund using that money. Of course on an individual level you (or me, or any of us parents) may decide that the TINY risk to our child of dying of invasive group B meningitis which is vaccine preventable, is sufficient to (assuming we can afford it) pay for the vaccine.

So it's not so much a question of need (the risk is very low but cannot ever be zero) as one's sense that if you can afford it then why not? Of course this does result in an unfair system based on being able to pay, but alas that's the economic reality.... :( 

I suspect once the cost comes down it will eventually become a universal vaccine...

• Like 3

My son has had bacterial meningitis twice as a new born baby. Caused him to have a huge bleed in his brain. He now has cerebral palsy, epilepsy and autism. He was in hospital for six months. There were many times where we were told to expect the worse.

I did not think something like meningitis would affect my family but it did. The chances of dying from bacterial meningitis is very real if unfortunate to contract the disease. Although my son is too young to have this new jab the GP has given it free of charge.

Oh Primrose I'm so sorry to hear that. I am glad to hear your GP is so sensible and you haven't had to battle for the vaccine. It's true some people are just more susceptible to some bugs and we honestly don't know why (strep is a good example- some people get a sore throat and recover, others deteriorate and die within hours...). I am all for vaccinating everyone at every opportunity....

• Like 5

Thankyou, we are 17 years down the line now. At least we still have our lovely son. Everybody just seems to love him. I was just making the point of how serious meningitis can be. It is hugely important to take the vaccinations on offer. They really can save a life and disabilities. Meningitis Now is a brilliant charity that strives for new vaccinations and constantly offers support to those affected.

• Like 8

I'm afraid CeliB is right it is purely down to cost.  

If any of the forum run into problems within a surgery regarding vaccines or immunisations you are either best to speak to the Senior Partner or Practice Manager.  Receptionists are given a basic script in training what is allowed and what is not.  You will find that a Senior Partner and Practice Manager have to power to override the system usually based on common sense.  

I think if they decide to put e-cigarettes on prescription and not this vaccine as routine for all children I may leave the NHS!

• Like 5

I got nowhere with either the nurse or the Practice Manager. The private travel clinic was very good; nurse run within a large GPs surgery. Dd had headache, sore arm, low mood and neckache for a few days and has now got a streaming cold - but it's certainly better than worrying about her contracting Meningitis.

• Like 3

The streaming cold thing is going round here. I was going back to ballet tonight but no go. Ex dd has had a terrible cold for over a week and managed to do a show with it, heaven knows how. She had virtually lost her voice by Saturday night. I started a killer sore throat on Thursday night which turned into the worst cold I have had for a very long time. I am beginning to think that I am just not meant to dance. ;(