English National Ballet: Emerging Dancer 2016

The ENB website is carrying news that the finalists this year are:

Isabelle Brouwers; Cesar Corrales; Jeanette Kakareka; Rina Kanehara; Daniele Silingardi and Erik Woolhouse

http://www.ballet.org.uk/whats-on/emerging-dancer-2016/

The event, at which The People's Choice will also be announced, is at The London Palladium on 17th May.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

Gosh, this has grown so much!  I went to the very first one just a few years ago, and it was in the rehearsal studio in Markova House!  The next one I went to had moved to the Queen Elizabeth Hall, and now it's at The Palladium.  Wow!   Best of luck to all the deserving finalists.

• Like 1

I think that it works best at the Queen Elizabeth Hall which has quite an intimate feel and good circulation space for the audience. Two years ago, it was held at the Lyceum and it 'lost something', not least in terms of everyone being able to feel/hear the great support each dancer received from other members of the Company.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I'm not a fan of ballet competitions generally and am even less of a fan of this 'in-house' competition. I can't see the point of staging something so divisive within a company. Shame that it seems to be growing in popularity.

I'm not a fan of ballet competitions generally and am even less of a fan of this 'in-house' competition. I can't see the point of staging something so divisive within a company. Shame that it seems to be growing in popularity.

It does seem odd to have a public competition for an 'emerging dancer' within a company. Surely the AD (and others) can see very well who is 'emerging' and how quickly, and it seems a bit insulting to be getting big parts in a major company and be competing for an 'emerging' dancer prize. I've always thought that this is really just a way of drumming up interest in the company etc, which ENB and Tamara Rojo are very good at - so maybe that's OK. I don't know how the dancers feel about it, whether nominated or not; that's really what matters.

• Like 1

ENB has now announced that this event will be streamed live from the Palladium on Tuesday  :) :

http://blog.ballet.org.uk/emerging-dancer-live-streamed-tuesday-17-may/

Can anyone explain why references to the winner of ENB’s Emerging Dancer 2014 are always limited to the name of Junor Souza who was actually the “joint winner” alongside Alison McWhinney. (scroll down in the above announcement to find the names of past winners)

Here is the DanceTabs announcement of the 2014 result:

http://dancetabs.com/2014/05/english-national-ballet-emerging-dancer-competition-2014-winners-announced/

Even the ENB official website only lists Alison’s 2013 nomination for the award and ignores the fact that she was the 2014 joint winner. 

http://www.ballet.org.uk/the-company/dancers/alison-mcwhinney/

I find this very puzzling.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 3

This competition started under the directorship of Wayne Eagling; it was not TR's brainchild but she has chosen to continue it. I personally don't have a problem with it if it is a way of developing young / less experienced dancers but I feel that the competition should be restricted to junior dancers who have little or no experience of dancing soloist roles. Most years there is at least one dancer who has far more experience than the others and so there is little parity between those taking part. I'm not in a position to know whether the competition is divisive. It all depends on how the competition is promoted within the company and on the relationships between the dancers in the company. One of the dancers has said in her video that other dancers in the company are very supportive, popping in to offer the participants advice and support.

• Like 3

I've been to a number of these events and the fact that the theatre is packed with ENB dancers there to cheer on their colleagues makes me think it must be as popular with the dancers as the fans.

• Like 7

I saw Isabella Brouwers (one of my favourite young dancers in the Company)being coached for this at an ENB Friends event and I thought she was very brave in not choosing a showy piece but one which required nuance and subtlety......although they are dancing two pieces I think so don't know what her second choice is.

I guess Cesar Corrales will be the most well known of this year's entries but cannot remember off hand what position he holds .....probably soloist at least?

I don't know the rules either .....eg..at which stage in the Company ranking you have to be to enter this competition....could just a newish corps de ballet member enter?

They are all really fine dancers this year but I'm routing for Isabella even though I love Cesar Corrales probably because I think he has already made a bit of a name for himself!!

I'm looking forward to attending this on Tuesday.

I've been to a number of these events and the fact that the theatre is packed with ENB dancers there to cheer on their colleagues makes me think it must be as popular with the dancers as the fans.

Or maybe they attend because they don't want to look like sour grapes? In my view there is already a lot of pressure and competition between dancers in a ballet company, constantly having to try and prove yourself for the next role, so why a formal competition that exacerbates all of that?

The ones who are constantly overlooked get very good at smiling and cheering for others. I wonder how some of the dancers who have been artists for the last 10+ yrs really feel about it? Probably their confidence died when they realised they weren't ever going to be classed as 'emerging'!

Well, tabitha's last post taps into a wider potential discussion about the structure and promotion policy of ENB as a company. It has a very large number of artists, many of whom perform soloist roles from time to time, and there is no policy of promoting everyone to soloist level as I believe happens at the RB. There seems to be an incremental pay structure linked to experience and sometimes dancers 'jump' bands or whatever they are called so that a dancer can be paid as, say, an artist with eight years experience when s/he has only been dancing for, say, four years. However, s/he is still an artist. It's a challenge in any company to keep everyone happy.

Dancers don't go to anything in their precious spare time that they don't want to.  ENB isn't one of those companies where everyone is jealous and resentful of potential rivals.  The is a genuine sense of camaraderie amongst their dancers.

Edited by MAB
  • Like 4

and there is no policy of promoting everyone to soloist level as I believe happens at the RB. 

I think you are mistaken about this, Aileen. Many RB dancers do, indeed, reach the level of First Artist but comparatively few are promoted above that. There are also one or two dancers who remain as Artists for a very long time indeed, if not for ever.

ENB is unusual insofar as: 1) it announces promotions within the Artist rank - e.g. from 3rd Year Artist to 6th Year Artist - which, presumably amounts to increments as well as recognition and 2) it has a Junior Soloist rank.

• Like 1

Dancers don't go to anything in their precious spare time that they don't want to.  ENB isn't one of those companies where everyone is jealous and resentful of potential rivals.  The is a genuine sense of camaraderie amongst their dancers.

Sorry MAB, I hate to disagree but In my experience it has a reputation for being one of the most competitive companies going, more so since Tamara took over. Seriously, what type of company has an internal dancing competition? Choreography yes, but dancing....

As someone has already pointed out, it was Wayne Eagling NOT Tamara Rojo who instigated emerging dancer..  ENB is not (at least at present) the type of company where you can find glass in your pointe shoes.  If you dislike competitions '- fine, no one's forcing you to go.

Edited by MAB
  • Like 3

I have read the announcement of the live stream over and over again but for the life of me cannot find information regarding the link required for watching the livestream. They tell you just about everything else except this essential piece of info! I'm guessing it's ENB's Youtube channel, but does anyone know?

Me too, wearing my badge as well. I am in the stalls because I am sure when I bought the ticket no circle or higher was available but now it look like an almost 2000 seat sell out. Amazing.

• Like 1

Interesting to watch this competition !  Thank you ENB for this live streaming !

The company is full of talents and the boys are especially promising

Daniele Silingardi has weak turns but a beautiful jump, Erik Woolhouse is very gifted and Cesar Corrales is just on another planet...

Among the girls Rina Kanehara was, to my eyes, the best; she was very nervous but has an amazing talent, Jeannette Kakareka has a wonderful line, beautiful arabesques but is really too skinny and Isabelle Brouwers seems to be a very clever and versatile dancer.

A very enjoyable evening and the discovery for me was Shiori Kase, she is just wonderful, what a technique, what a dancer,  she should be made principal !

• Like 4

Is it me or was it just that Cesar chose the perfect dances to showcase his talents. Both were brilliantly aggressive routines that showed his prowess as a leaper, spinner and flying round the stage. Whereas the pieces for the girls were soft, sexy and gentle. I thought Isabelle danced beautifully, particularly in her contemporary routine.

The best moment for me was Jennie winning the Corps award, she was thrilled to bits. The show is growing every year, Palladium this time maybe Wembley next year.

• Like 3

Tamara Rojo said in the introduction that the pas de deux were chosen for the dancers.

Thanks, Capybara, I must have missed the introduction. Maybe it was only shown on the stream or I was in the bar.

• Like 1