English youth ballet casting question

chloe123

Hi, 

My daughter successfully auditioned for a place with EYB and has her casting day next month.

Her dance school is supportive and a few of her friends have also got a place so she has been really looking forward to it.

Unfortunately a girl at school (academic school, not dance school) who dances elsewhere has said to her she shouldn't bother doing it because she's too short. Apparently if you're short you only get 'easy parts'. I passed it off as sour grapes but after googling it it would seem there might be some truth in it?

She is excited to take part but it is a lot of money so I need to be sure she will benefit from it as well. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks 

Don't b put off! When my daughter did it she was always one of the smallest for her age but got solo roles with them adapting costumes to fit. She is now 24 in June and still only 5'1" and looks about 14! EYB are brilliant at seeing the potential and working with the talent. Worth every penny in my book whatever role offered! Enjoy!!

• Like 4

I agree ignore these comments. You don't say how old your DS is. My daughter was one of the smallest and got solo roles and a couple of the older girls that were also small also got solos. The whole experience was fantastic whether you got specific roles or were part of the group dances - all my Dds friends who also went absolutely loved it. EYB were very supportive and completely convinced my dd this is what she wanted to do in life and she is off to dance school this September!! So be aware!!!!!

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum, chloe. Height, shape and size have no bearing on EYB casting, in my experience. Miss Lewis et al go by your child's dancing ability. In a small group number like the Nutcracker Mirlitons they *may* try to cast girls who are similar in height to each other, but that's as far as it goes.

There are many threads regarding EYB here so have a read through those, but honestly don't worry about "advice" like that.

• Like 3

Hi Chloe. As mentioned above, that's so untrue!! , there are all shapes and sizes at EYB. That's why it's so nice, as children who wouldn't normally be considered for a role in a classical ballet get the chance. They are looking for children who perform and are quick to pick up the steps, my DD friend is really talk for her age and was still cast a part with her smaller friends. My DD is petite for 12 but always gets a part in a small group for a pointe part, she was in the running for a solo this time but missed out to older girls. good luck for casting and let us know what part your DD gets x

• Like 1

Thank you all, I feel much better now. 

She's 11 and did the junior audition. She is probably around the height of an average 9 year old. We certainly have no expectation of her getting a solo or main part but as long as she's being challenged and having a good time that's all that matters. 

I'm sure the comment must have come from the girls mum or another adult as it's an odd thing for a child to say! 

• Like 1

To be honest, this sounds very much like the sort of comment which might have been made by a disgruntled dancer/dancer's parent if they were not allocated the level of role they expected/hoped to get at EYB. I have noticed that this sort of comment is often made by those feeling disappointed after auditions/exam results, ie they blame their 'failure' - as they perceive it - on something they can't change, eg height, age - even hair colour on one occasion I remember! 

I am sure your DD will love the whole EYB experience.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would update this in case it helps anyone else in future. 

My daughter is really enjoying rehearsals. 

She doesn't have a solo or main part (which we didn't expect anyway as ballet is very much a hobby for her and she is only 11). She is probably in the oldest group to not yet be doing pointe and I think she was worried that not doing pointe would mean she would end up dancing with much younger girls. However, she is with a group of girls of around the same age / ability and she feels she is being challenged and learning a lot. 

Thank you all for encouraging her (and me!) to go ahead with it. 

Edited by chloe123
  • Like 7

I'm really sorry but our experience was the opposite and my DD had done EYB twice and each time cast in a "shortie" part. She's 10 now but was age 9 when she did swan lake and nutcracker.

The way she described casting to me for both times was that the very shortest were moved into a group straight away and basically given the "shortie" parts as she called them

After that initial group she says there was a lot of crossover in heights and ages.

We did get a few bitchy remarks about short people's parts and I've actually got a video somewhere with a mum in the background describing her as a token part!!! Rude woman!

The first time she was a Tzars neice and second time she was a doll and a sweet.

However even with all that my DD adores EYB and will jump at the opportunity to do it again because of what she got out of the whole

experience. She loves the understudy roles and the additional roles that they can all get a possibility of being cast for regardless of height.

She has even offered to use all her savings to beg me to let her do it again (even though she still isn't much taller!)

Her first experience of EYB and second were only six months apart and she and I had a very honest conversation before she accepted again the second time as we guessed she would get short persons part but that honestly did not put her off at all!

I really hope this doesn't put you off if your DD was amongst the very shortest at the main audition but I would hope someone would be honest with me if I asked a question on here and they had a different experience

:)

I'm sorry that your DD was disappointed annaliesey but I think she had lovely parts and, in my experience at least, it's not particularly unusual for 9 year olds to be cast in those parts. Certainly I know a boy who was 11 when he played a Tzar's nephew. The nasty remarks you got are completely out of order and I hope they didn't upset your DD too much. They definitely aren't "token parts" - I mean the dolls pretty much open Nutcracker after all. And whilst everyone gets plenty of stage time, I think it's easier to spot your child if they are in one of the smaller groups anyway. Apart from the small number of "featured" parts that generally are for the oldest students, all the groups are equal to my mind.There are just some people who like to put others down for some reason. I'm glad it didn't put your DD off.

Edited by Pups_mum
  • Like 1

Honestly pupsmum she was not at all disappointed:) she loves EYB for the whole experience even though from our experience there was an element of truth in the height/casting and that was what I was trying to get across in my last post

she learned so many little tips and sayings and flourishes that have stuck in her head (from Dominic mostly I think) ie; looking at yourself in little mirrors on your fingertips and your hand brushes the edge of your tutu being ones that I can remember.

She's only 10 now and still below average height and she's going for EYB auditions at Stevenage on Monday. She says if she's lucky enough to get through she would still be happy with any part at all even though she would love to do a little bit of pointe :)

I'd encourage anyone to do EYB on the back of my DDs experiences :)

• Like 2

I didn't find out about EYB until they had stopped coming to Stevenage, so we trekked all the way to Aylesbury both times dd did EYB. Now they're finally coming back to Stevenage but in the autumn when dd will have started Vocational school! Talk about bad timing, eh. :-)

• Like 1

I didn't find out about EYB until they had stopped coming to Stevenage, so we trekked all the way to Aylesbury both times dd did EYB. Now they're finally coming back to Stevenage but in the autumn when dd will have started Vocational school! Talk about bad timing, eh. :-)

Yep - we wait 8 years and they decide to come back 6 weeks too late!!!

• Like 2

Hi Annaliesey

I think if my daughter was a very talented dancer she would be disappointed with her part (I'm not wishing to be harsh, she's a lovely dancer but she is never going to do it as a career). I'm guessing if your 10 your old is already doing pointe then she is a more advanced dancer than my nearly 12 year old who isn't yet doing it. She feels she has learnt a lot and it has stretched her but without overwhelming her. 

And like you say, it is the whole experience that she has enjoyed - for example, she was put in the company class with some more advanced girls and has learnt a lot from this. 

I'm just pleased after my initial reservations that it has worked out well :-) 

• Like 4

My 10 year old dd has danced with EYB twice and absolutely loved it both times. She is tallish for her age so has had parts in groups with older girls but that has not been a problem and the entire environment is supportive and encouraging. It is an amazing opportunity.

• Like 2

Hi. My dd did EYB for the first time lst year. As she was 15 she was put into the older group but on the casting day they were put into a line and arranged in height order. As my daughter was one of the smallest she hardly had any parts even though she was one of the most advanced on pointe. I did query this but was told by Miss L that they have to look uniform on stage. One parent did tell me that its mainly down to costume sizes . Dd did enjoy her time but for us it was not worth the money. I know you can not always have the limelight but it should go on ability and not your height.

I hope your dd enjoys it.

From our experience (dd has performed with EYB 4 times and loved it), everyone does get pretty much an equal amount of stage time. There will of course - as with any production of this size - be casting and costume considerations, but they do make sure everybody has a role in both acts. Depending on the production, a few of the advanced seniors might have a small solo; there are also senior and junior groups of 4, 8 and so on, and the main corps too. When they are casting the groups I think they do try to match the dancers in those by height and level of training, which they need to do so they all look similar.

The thing is though, human nature being what it is, although they do their best they won't be able to please everyone all the time.

edited for clarity

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 3

Hi again

Last night I watched the performance and I really thought it was brilliant. 

The children have had the best time and genuinely loved every minute. 

Going back to my original question about size. Last night it did seem that most of the groups were made up of girls of similar sizes. So I do think there is some degree of truth in this. If you are short you may well be placed with younger girls. However, they also managed to pick out children of higher ability and give them little solos or extras to reflect their standard of dancing. They may be dancing in a group for example but take a bit of lead within it if that makes sense? So while I can see where these concerns come from, I can also see that the company work hard to be fair. It is very difficult to please everyone but all the children last night seemed very happy. 

• Like 4

I watched Giselle 3 times . I loved it . The children , I think seemed to all get equal opportunities - there were a few awarded solos , but otherwise pretty even I thought . My child made great progress and really benefitted from the corrections . We would repeat . Maybe ' dance on point ' you aren't talking about Giselle , Bradford . I obviously can't comment on other productions .

Can anyone tell me what roles are available in EYB Swan Lake for a tall dancer working at Advanced 1 level, strong pointe work?

Considering younger DD doing it and have had permission from school but money/time/energy in short supply so would like it to be a worthwhile experience.  

Older DD did EYB before going to vocational school so I know how about the company, just wanted an idea what they might offer her.....