Leotard stress for RBS JA Audition

Petalviolet

Hello from a stressed non dancing mother. I really appreciate this post will seem like the most unimportant piffle to those of you awaiting results from White Lodge - maybe it will take your mind off things?

Here goes.

My DD (7) has the physical proportions of a Shetland pony with ballet feet. ;-) This will not endear her to the Royal and I have the sneaking suspicion a more rigorously selective stony hearted dance teacher would not have recommended her, however it was suggested in front of her so the cats out of the bag. I had no idea till I started using this forum to research just how important physique and proportions were, I naively thought it was a question of turnout/feet and who dances best on the day? I did go back to her dance teacher who was candid enough to say that if her proportions don't "sort themselves out" by age 9 then she won't be suitable for classical training (gulp!) but that it would be a shame not to send her.

To be honest I feel that so much is stacked against her already in a way there shouldn't and doesn't need to be any pressure. She should just feel proud to have the opportunity. But for her sake, as much as I can help her, I would like to have the peace of mind that we gave it a good shot? This may be her only chance!

There are some great tips on this forum which I've really taken to heart. You want to present your child in the most flattering way possible, you want them to look beautifully turned out BUT you shouldn't go overboard and you have to be realistic in that the Royal are well aware of what they want and no amount of styling is going help. I could send her in shorts and a t shirt and it genuinely wouldn't matter.

I've no other expectations of the day itself other than she will skip in happily, obligingly assume whatever balletic position requested and thus displayed produce very little else to satisfy those of a classically minded disposition than the smallest and hopefully quietest of farts - skip out and we will go home, clutching I imagine, some embossed paraphernalia, our Royal Ballet journey complete.

Yet-........with her long back, the last thing I want to send her in is her usual RAD low cut leotard with short sleeves. I didn't see any children at the JA for A Day wearing anything similar and I felt she stuck out as looking a little babyish plus it couldn't do less for her. So I ordered a camisole leotard in the same colour, completely plain but far more flattering and very grown up. Not fooling anyone but not emphasising the problem either? She loves it, has been wearing it to feel comfortable and looks beautiful and feels special. Happy us. Till her teacher said she doesn't want any fiddling or opportunity to even be tempted to fiddle with straps, she will take a look at it but recommends she wear her usual one. Photographs are tomorrow. Do I stick to my guns?

Please, please. Please don't shoot me down in flames. I find everything and anyone related to ballet incredibly intimidating!! It's like talking to people who are elevated in some way? I just want to do my little girl justice as it's been so hard to accept her dream may just have to be that and she's still so little. Many thanks for you time and good luck to anyone waiting results I don't know how you cope!

• Like 13

If your daughter looks nice and is happy in the new leotard then that is what she should wear in my opinion.

However her teacher does have a point, if there is is danger that your daughter will fidget with straps then they are best avoided. I am sure that your teacher is as keen as you to present your dd in the best light, afterall she is her student!

And its not absolutely necessary to wear the same leotard for the audition as for the photo. Who knows your daughter may have a growth spurt and need a new one anyway!

Hope this helps. Keep asking questions, you will find us a pretty down to earth bunch!

I like shetland ponies by the way. Gorgeous!

• Like 7

I love your post - made me smile while I was reading it.

My advice - stick to your guns - if she's found a leotard she's happy in then that's the one to go for.  I'm not a fan of bright colours and loads of fancy straps (on young children) but if it's pretty plain go for it.  Especially as you've been to the JA for a Day thing - you can use that as your defence with the teacher.  Thin straps (camisole style) sometimes look a bit too grown up at this age - I'd be looking for something sleeveless (so the wider straps but not short sleeves), but as I said, if she likes it and she doesn't fiddle with the straps (why should she?) go for it.

• Like 4

Hi petal violet welcome to the forum. Your dilemma is a tricky one as you are so honest, however would you trust your dance teacher enough to have the knowledge? Are there other Royal ballet associates within your dance school, or will your little girl be the first to try?

• Like 1

I would go with the leotard she is happiest with.

She will perform better and have the biggest smile in the one she feels special in.

I have spent a huge number of hours fretting over leotards .

For her JA audition age 7 my DD wore her class navy RAD leotard ruche front sleeveless tank style and got a place.This style can often be more flattering than a scoop neck for a sturdier child.

For WL finals age 10 I finally chose one then ruined the colour by washing it and hanging it over an old radiator just before the audition and DD had to wear a different one anyway.I can't believe now with over a year to go I'm already starting to fret over leotards for 6th form auditions.I needn't bother as my DD will know exactly which one she wants to wear.

• Like 1

Purely from a statistical viewpoint,chances of anyone getting a JA place are slim. My personal view is that the audition should be treated as a fun day out and an interesting experience. Anything beyond that is a bonus. So I would opt for whatever makes your DD happiest and adds to the enjoyment. And who doesn't love a new leotard! The panel are not likely to be influenced by what she is wearing,and I doubt the occasional twiddle of a leotard strap is going to alter the outcome either,so I would go for whichever your DD likes best so that she feels confident and happy and dances the best she can. (And remember that whatever the outcome,neither she nor you are defined by it-try not to stress.)

• Like 10

I agree. She should wear what she feels happiest in if she has a choice. The leotard doesn't need to be the same one as the one in the photo. Mine started dance lessons with a big charity scheme and wore the leotard that was provided for the scheme, which happened to be a bright red tank style. We didn't have any others. Also, no need to fret about things like elastic waist bands. We didn't have those either. It really doesn't matter. Just enjoy your day out!

• Like 1

Just let your dd wear the leotard she is comfortable in and have a great day out. I remember my dds JA audition. I had unfortunately packed her big sisters leotard by mistake (identical apart from size- standard cherry red tank ) Lets just say it hung a bit !!  Thankfully her underwear wasn't too jazzy as it could be seen in certain positions! She enjoyed the audition and we went for cake afterwards. (and she was offered a JA place despite her saggy leotard) 

• Like 7

I echo views already expressed.  If the teacher suggests a certain leotard then by all by means wear it for the photos but for the day itself go with what your DD would like to wear.  Focus very much on this with your DD as a special day out - a treat to be enjoyed and no further than that.  Your DD is very young and I certainly would not start worrying about her proportions or anything else at this stage.  You cannot predict the future - not even if your DD will still have her dream in a few years time.  But if she continues dancing I am sure there will be plenty more opportunities along the way - RBS is not the only route to becoming a ballet dancer.

• Like 4

Just a hint for the future petalviolet, my long bodied DD favours Dans-ez leos as they tend to have high cut legs. She has worn their classic high backed camisole leotard for all her vocational grades as it fits and flatters her body shape much better than the official RAD ones. Of course it doesn't really change anything,but a high leg line and a v rather than scoop neck do minimise the look of a long body and my DD certainly feels she dances better when she knows she looks at her best. I don't know if they do children's sizes but the petite adult fitted my DD from around 10 or 11,so maybe something for your DD to try in the coming years.

• Like 2

Thank you all for these lovely replies, I actually feel genuinely touched and glad I took the plunge and posted! I've just picked trotters up from school - how oblivious is she- and mulled over your advice. Her new and spiffy leotard does make her look rather mature actually, more so than I anticipated. It's totally plain and pale in colour with a low scoop back and after she has practised a few stretches and stands up there is the matter of retrieving it from places not openly accepted to exist in ballet..... There will be tweaking and plenty of it and perhaps this is a particular irritation of her teacher's? Of course she would want to present her just as beautifully as I would and she is a wonderful and very well respected lady which is why I really don't want there to be any disagreement, who am I to contradict her?? I know that another little boy and a girl are going and they will be in the usual uniform - I'm cringing at the idea of being so blatantly obvious as to demand my DD be in something separate and special. The more I think about that actually the worse I feel and we are taking photos together to save time, you can see why it's a slightly more complex issue. Drat that we have bought and worn it but she does look so lovely.

I remember feeling quite confident with her appearance at the JA experience day, bit too pleased actually, bit of self congratulation over that bun, only to be told socks up and not folded and remove those knickers (tweaking again) so there was a rush to the loo and a furtive swap of offending garment the handover of which would have surpassed the subtle strategies of any Cold War spy exchange. Luckily it didn't phase madam and I will remember the little twinkle in her eye which I know meant "I'm not wearing knickers in public, hehehehe" for some time to come.

God, what will the other mother think if we rock up with a selection of leotards? How precious am I?

• Like 6

Sorry to stress you still further but if that new leotard is going into places it shouldn't be then I wonder whether it is advisable for your DD to wear it for the actual audition. I assume that 'riding up' is more of a problem when the person is not wearing tights. Is there a danger that your DD will be fiddling with the seat of the leotard as well as the straps? Perhaps she would be better with a different cut round the bottom.

Edited by aileen
  • Like 1

Yes Aileen it is higher cut than she is used to although not outrageously so. Its slightly longer too. I think I might pop her in it tonight and see with a more critical eye, how much is preening and how much is twiddling. I have to be honest otherwise there's no point, I don't want her to be fiddling and faffing before and after every position. She needs to be able to focus and I'm not sure whether I should take a chance on her getting used to the unfamiliar cut which is more flattering or (through grated teeth) stick with the RAD uniform that is serviceable and practical? I don't want her performance to suffer for the aesthetics! And I don't want to put her in a different leotard when others are perfectly satisfied and perhaps being a bit more level headed? I will take it but perhaps, after some good advice here, try and put it in proper perspective!

Petalviolet you made me laugh but time to rein it in now. So not to offend your teacher, if it was my daughter I would wear the leotard the teacher said, especially if the other two children are wearing the school uniform. All the best to your lovely little daughter I bet she will have a wonderful day.

I may be mean but didn't even consider getting my dd a special leotard for auditions at this age, she wore her RAD one with clean shoes. Her first non uniform leotard was bought as a treat for lower school final auditions.

Hope you both enjoy the day whatever the outcome. We always found the photos more stressful than the actual audition.

• Like 1

If you do decide to go with the regular class leotard, how about a small bow for the back of her hair just to make her feel special. MA's wear a matching ribbon bow tied onto a hairpin pushed into the top of the bun. JA's often have the same or two smaller bows if the centre wears the crossed plait hair style. I know my two girls liked their bows which weren't worn to their regular ballet classes and anything which makes her feel special will make her dance confidently and most importantly enjoy the whole experience. Hope you have a lovely day and get some nice souvenirs from the PTA stall.

• Like 2

If you do decide to go with the new, preferred leotard, there may be some underwear out there which stops it disappearing into places you and your daughter would prefer it did not! My dd hates to be underwear less and has found a number of appropriate undergarments which are not visible but add to her comfort. However, I really don't think it matters hugely what you wear as in my naieveity, dd attended her first audition in leotard with matching skirt. When I found out she was the only one wearing a skirt and was not asked to remove it, I was sure it was a 'no' for finals, which was not the case! Good luck!

• Like 2

If you have a look on Dance Direct, Porselli etc, they are commonly found in "overs and unders", "unders" or "dance underwear" sections. Capezio and Bloch make them, among others. My dd has a Capezio Ladies size Small which has fitted her consistently since she was 11 or 12.

• Like 2

Yes Aileen it is higher cut than she is used to although not outrageously so. Its slightly longer too. I think I might pop her in it tonight and see with a more critical eye, how much is preening and how much is twiddling. I have to be honest otherwise there's no point, I don't want her to be fiddling and faffing before and after every position. She needs to be able to focus and I'm not sure whether I should take a chance on her getting used to the unfamiliar cut which is more flattering or (through grated teeth) stick with the RAD uniform that is serviceable and practical? I don't want her performance to suffer for the aesthetics! And I don't want to put her in a different leotard when others are perfectly satisfied and perhaps being a bit more level headed? I will take it but perhaps, after some good advice here, try and put it in proper perspective!

If the RAD leotard is comfortable, meaning that your little dancer won't fiddle with it, pull it down, etc. - all things that may distract her from dancing and enjoying herself without self-consciousness - I would go with the RAD leotard. The JA panel will still be able to see her proportions (and they will probably refer back to the photos if necessary) regardless of leotard.

She can still keep the other leotard for holiday courses etc. but if the camisole leotard is going to warrant no undies, or another leotard underneath, it's probably better to stick to the RAD one assuming it's comfortable. Trying to dance your best when your leotard is riding up uncomfortably is probably tricky and an unwelcome distraction. :-)

If it's a "no" from JAs, it won't be down to leotard choice - and it's certainly not the end of the ballet dream! She can always try again, but in any case there are MANY more pathways to ballet.

• Like 3

Thank you for all the replies- just to report back we went for the normal RAD leotard in the end. Her teacher was very diplomatic and got her to try the new one and have a skip around. She wasn't at all dismissive and said she could see where I was coming from and agreed the fit was lovely and if she wasn't required to move (!) would have her in it without a doubt but she (and many of you) were quite right that it was slipping down all over the place and just not practical. I have to say, if I hadn't posted yesterday I would have certainly gone into school this afternoon with DD in my choice of leotard (I took her in the RAD one instead) without really realising how rude that would be? So your good advice was acted upon and saved me from unintentionally committing a bit of a ballet gaff.

Photos are done- DD shivering and mottled blue against a brown paper backdrop under fluorescent lights sporting a huge bruise on one calf but as long as the positions are clear I hope they will do! A mystery to me to witness the tiny corrections and manipulations that make the difference between right and wrong. One photo looks exactly the same as another to me but on choosing the final versions her teachers knew exactly the ones they wanted and quickly discarded others, I couldn't have done this myself that's for sure.

Just before we left the teacher quickly asked both girls if they had any questions about the audition which was met with blank expressions till DD piped up "what TYPE of garlic do Vampires don't like?"

Hmmmmmmmmm.

• Like 14

I went to a junior associates day twice the girls just wore random things! Just wear the leotard you want to. If the audition has already been I hope it went well! If it hasn't been yet good luck! I never auditioned for the junior associates and I regret it! So just make sure your dd gets through her audition and enjoys the day! Don't worry too much about what she's wearing just make sure she's happy!

• Like 2

What great posts, Petalviolet, and definitely a refreshing breath of fresh air! I wish your DD all the very best of luck! 

All I had to add was that when my DS auditioned for JAs I had ZERO idea what I was doing, and had not discovered this forum. I sent him in his regular black cycle shorts that he wore for ballet anyway - so far so good. But then stressed because it asked for "tight" t-shirts and his regular white ballet one wasn't - to my eye - especially tight. The tightest one I could find was red with a huge, bright Ferrari emblem on the front! I fell such an idiot when I got there and all the girls looked so much the part (he was the only boy auditioning that day for that centre). Luckily, the number I had to pin on him more-or-less covered the Ferrari! And...he still got offered a place!

So for me the moral of the tale was as long as the DC feels comfortable in something they can move easily in, then you have got it right!

• Like 7