Russian Icons Gala 2016 - Ave Maya, London, March 2016

Just back from this. What do people think? I had the usual wonderful if rather weird evening.

This time my astonishment was capped by seeing, in amongst the Russian splendour waiting to go in, a strangely familiar face, someone who turned up again backstage at the end when I popped round to greet a friend. Yes, the "ballet fan / member of the public" interviewed in Bolshoi Babylon had somehow made it to London along with the visiting dancers. Curiouser and curiouser (see postings on Bolshoi Babylon for more about this individual).

Some absolutely glorious dancing, much cheering and quite few astonishng frocks.

• Like 3

Guest Guest

good spot Geoff! I saw Bryn Terfel and Vanessa Feltz there last night.

There were some snooze moments like having to sit through the unscintillating After the Rain with Nunez/Soares again but I enjoyed most of it. The Royal Ballet were well represented by The Fed and Sarah Lamb (R&J) Vadim with Daria (Moshkovsky Waltz) and Matthew Golding (Swan Lake),  The Bolshoi dancers were the stand outs though, we got on full-on Ivan Vasiliev in Don Quixote ripping up the stage like a rhino in a hurry - In his head the evening was clearly ALL about him. If I had to pick one favourite though it would be Vladislav Lantratov and Maria Alexandrova in Spartacus.

Edited by lou__iza
  • Like 2

I'd echo both the above...yes the claquer of course I saw him stage door and in the upper circle!!

What a fabulous evening nearly 4 hours of wonderful dance. Hard to pin down a favourite but Alexandrova/Lantratov were great in Spartacus and SO lovely at stage door. Did you know they are together?! So a lovely couple both on and off stage. It's not often you see well over 100 fouettes in one night but the only Ballerina to do some Italian Fouettes (I believe) was the wonderful Liudmilla Konovalova from Vienna State Ballet. She was a wonderful Odile partnered by Matthew Golding. Liudmilla is a favourite of mine and a beautiful dancer. It was also wonderful to see Polina Semionova in the Act3 pdd from Onegin partnered by Jason Reilly. One piece I did not expect to like was the Millepied piece Together Alone danced by Dupont and Moreau, it was danced in a T-shirt and jeans but was a strangely (for me) watchable piece beautiful moves in perfect time with the music by Glass.

I will post more later/tomorrow when I am home, but save to say it really was a fabulous evening and fitting tribute to Maya Plisetskaya.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the Gala but thought that it was a very mixed bag in terms of choice of repertoire and quality of performance.

The standouts for me (in order of appearance) were Ekaterina Osmolkina (Mariinsky) in the Talisman pdd with Kimin Kim; Ekaterina Krysanova (Bolshoi) with Andrei Merkuriev in a pdd from The Bright Stream; Lucia Lacarra (Munich) in Malliphant’s Spiral Twist with Marlon Dino; Vladislav Lantratov (Bolshoi) in a montage of dances for Crassus and Aegina from Spartacus with Maria Alexandrova; Daria Klimentova (RBS!!!) and Vadim Muntagirov (RB) in the all-too-short Moszkowski Waltz; and Tamara Rojo (ENB) and Isaac Hernandez (ENB) in extracts from Carmen Suite (the music, of course, arranged by Plisetskaya’s husband, Rodion Shchedrin).

This latter piece was the only obvious connection to Plisetskaya but such is the way with these galas.

Apart, perhaps, from two pdd from Manon, a pdd from Neumeier’s ‘Camelias’, and the famous pdd from Spartacus (none of these shown last night), it is not easy for dancers to find dramatic extracts which have meaning when given in the context of a gala and I have to say that the Act 3 pdd from Onegin, the Spartacus snippets and the Romeo and Juliet balcony pdd did not work for me last night.

There were other disappointments which I won’t emphasise on an individual basis but the general one was the lack of facial expression from many of the stars and their consequent failure to fully engage me. The dancers I have mentioned above were the ones who reached out the most to me with their interpretations and/or with their sheer joy of performing. They absolutely made the evening.

• Like 2

I was at the marathon Gala rehearsal, sadly very few were in costume and make up. That apart it was fantastic to see these wonderful artists performing in the Coliseum. Here are some pictures from the rehearsal.

Ave%2BMaya%2B-%2BPart%2B1_056%2B-%2BVlad

Vladislav Lantratov in Spartacus

Ave+Maya+-+Part+1_083+-+Daria+Klimentova

Daria Klimentova and Vadim Muntagirov in Moshkovsky Waltz

Ave%2BMay%2B-%2BPart%2B2_277%2B-%2BDanii

Daniil Simkin and Maria Kochetkova in Le Corsaire

Ave+May+-+Part+2_349+-+Ivan+Vasiliev+and

Ivan Vasiliev and Kristina Kretova in Don Quixote

Lot more pictures in two albums on www.johnrossballetgallery.co.uk
  • Like 7

I'd only got one problem really with the evening  - lots of people around us were having to get ready to leave well before the end, in order to catch trains home - it would have made lives easier if it had been maybe 2 or 3 items shorter.  And, sadly, quite a few missed the final 2 pieces, which was such a shame for them. Which 2 I'd have cut, though, I am not at all sure. Certainly not either of the last 2.

I didn't realise that Daria was still performing at that level, wish I could have been there.

Edit: which is not to denigrate the rest of that fabulous cast, I just wish they could all do it on a weekday to suit my personal schedule!

Edited by Grand Tier Left

Put me down as another fan of Simkin in Corsaire  :)  as capybara did, I enjoyed Spiral Twist and Daria and Vadim. Millepied's modern piece left me cold, despite Dupont dancing...and Spartacus was a bit boring for me!  I was nearly one of the people daisy mentions who left early, but stayed for Vasiliev...who didn't quite blow me away. (I made my train with about 2 minutes to spare...:D) It was good to see some stars and to see some fun pieces, and to watch three and a bit hours of ballet was wonderful for me, despite it over-running....

• Like 2

For me I was more than happy the show was long - more bang for my buck especially as I had to overnight in London.  I agree that Simkin seemed to be the most flamboyant of all the men and his Corsaire was fantastic.  Somehow I did not take to The Talisman with Osmolkina/Kim not that they did not dance well.  I really liked Spartacus and Bright Stream and those excerpts reminded me just how much we need to see those 2 Bolshoi ballets in London again!!  I still can't get over the rep (or lack of) that the Bolshoi are bringing this summer!  I really wish that we had been able to see another piece by the Spanish dancer Sergio Bernal, his command of that red cape was quite something.  I was underwhelmed by Ruzimatov in Bolero although I can see being a slower piece that it was ideal for a more mature dancer.  As someone who does not normally enjoy Romeo and Juliet I did enjoy Lamb and Bonelli and found their performance quite touching.  I did not care for After the Rain, Spiral Twist, Bolero, Carmen Suite and I would also question why Daria Klimentova and Vadim Muntagirov danced such a short piece as they were barely on the stage before they were off it, such a shame given their popularity - I remember well how last year the audience was totally silent and spellbound when Daria did her SPF solo as part of the Nutcracker gpdd.  Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this gala and what a great opportunity to see so many fabulous dancers all in one show!!  CdB9RqpWEAAkV2l.jpg

• Like 1

I agree that Simkin seemed to be the most flamboyant of all the men and his Corsaire was fantastic. 

There were some of us in the audience who found Simkin paled in the light our recent memories of Cesar Corrales' Ali with ENB.

• Like 3

Foteini Christofilopoulou was also at the tech reherasal taking photos - so here are a few...

25522762981_aac8e48e8a_z.jpg

Moshkovsky Waltz: Vadim Muntagirov, Daria Klimentová
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

25319833250_0a1fbbcc6e_z.jpg

Bolero: Farukh Ruzimatov (Mikhailovsky Ballet)

25589318926_eb83f36476_z.jpg
Swan Lake: Liudmila Konovalova (Vienna State Ballet), Matthew Golding (Royal Ballet)

See more...

Set from DanceTabs: Ave Maya Gala in Memory of Maya Plisetskaya
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

Whose version of Bolero was it?  Not Bejart's, I assume, from the photo of Ruzimatov

According to Jann Parry: 

Instead of Maurice Béjart’s account of Ravel’s Bolero (performed on a table-top by Plisetskaya), Faroukh Ruzimatov camped through a solo by Nikolai Androsov.

• Like 1

I saw Corrales work in ENB's Nutcracker Trepak dance and that was astonishing. Sadly I didn't see his Ali. I have seen better versions but on the night Simkin got my blood racing where a few others didn't.

I loved Bernal's cape control too, Don Q. It seemed almost liquid, living and totally subordinate to his whims, completely under control. Really impressive.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Amelia - I am big fan of Liudmilla Konovalova ever since i saw her at StaatsBallett Berlin so it's great to read her background story!  I am hoping she will be dancing in Mayerling when I see it in Vienna in May.

I thoroughly enjoyed this gala and I am not usually a gala fan.

Loved Vadim and Daria, as did my daughter, who said that Daria had gone right to the top of her list of favourites and couldn't believe that she was now retired. As another poster said, should have been longer! And Merkuriev and Krysanova were fabulous in the extract from The Bright Stream - why won't the Bolshoi bring it over?

Like others, I enjoyed Simkin but felt that he couldn't match Corrales' corruscating Ali in the recent ENB Corsaire and I also loved the dual Spanish content - the Rojo/Hernandez Carmen, a role that Rojo totally inhabited with a meaningful twitch here, a throwaway shrug there and Bernal's extraordinarily animated cape in the Three Cornered hat.

I can't say that I particularly like the Spartacus choreography although Lantratov and Alexandova certainly gave it their all. Ditto Kimin Kim although I feel that he is still a little rough around the edges.

And Vasiliev is just Vasiliev. Fabulous, of course, but lacking the same impact as that blazing, glorious Don Q when he and Osipova hit the Covent Garden stage during the (last/last but one?) Bolshoi tour.

• Like 2