Birmingham Royal Ballet 2015-16 Season Announced for Birmingham

Birmingham season announced

Birmingham Royal Ballet is pleased to announce its 2015-16 Birmingham Hippodrome season. 

During the 2015-16 season Birmingham Royal Ballet will continue to focus on presenting quality productions at affordable prices. From September 2015, a revised pricing structure enables us to offer unforgettable entertainment to all from as little as £10. 

Tickets for all performances go on sale to the public on 1 June, with discounted subscription packages covering multiple shows becoming available on 14 May. Details of subscription packages will appear here on the site next month. To receive an email notification on the day that this information is published, click here and leave us your details

2015-16 Shows:

Swan Lake 28 September – 6 October 2015

Variations triple bill:
Theme and Variations / Kin. / Enigma Variations
 8 – 10 October 2015

The Nutcracker 27 November – 13 December 2015

Ashton double bill:
The Dream / A Month in the Country
 17 – 20 February 2016

Romeo and Juliet 24 – 27 February 2016

The Taming of the Shrew 16 – 18 June 2016

Shakespeare triple bill:
The Sonnets / The Moor’s Pavane / The Shakespeare Suite
 22 – 25 June 2016

Throughout the year, Birmingham Royal Ballet’s 60 full-time dancers from across the world will be accompanied by Britain’s busiest ballet orchestra, the Royal Ballet Sinfonia, under the musical directorship of Koen Kessels. We will also be joined by members of the Colin Towns' Mask Orchestra, for Duke Ellington's Shakespeare Suite

http://brb.org.uk/2015-16-birmingham.html

From my point of view this is a great season!  I can't wait to see what BRB make of Shrew and there are some Ashton favourites making my mouth water already!

The subscription brochure will be out for the general public soon.  Friends have had theirs.  Just a word of warning, the structure of the subscriptions has changed for the coming year.  I think I aged 20 years in a couple of hours trying to fill mine in yesterday!

Whose R&J and Shrew are they doing? I'm surprised that the choreographers are not listed.

I thought it was the MacMillan Romeo as usual, and the Maillot Shrew, was it? I didn't think it was the Cranko.

My mouth is watering at all this lot, and if they *have* reduced some of the prices for all-comers that will be *very* welcome. 

Unlike the current season I got really excited about 2015/16. I thought the way the subscription packages have been restructured was 'interesting'. However, I filled out my application and have whopped it in the post and will hope for the best.

My main regret is that Ambra Vallo left the company before she had a chance to dance Natalia Petrovna. My main hope is for Celine and Tyrone in Taming of the Shrew with Delia Matthew and Brandon Lawrence as second cast.

• Like 1

the photograph in the subscription brochure is actually from the National Ballet of Canada, Greta Hodgkinson and Guillaume Cote (misidentified as Jason Reilly!!)

Well, at least both Cote and Reilly are Canadians! :)

Edited by Bruce Wall

the photograph in the subscription brochure is actually from the National Ballet of Canada, Greta Hodgkinson and Guillaume Cote (misidentified as Jason Reilly!!)

Blummin' pesky Canadians taking the world over again!!!!  

Sorry for the misdirection on the photograph.

• Like 1

Isn't the Ashton double bill rather short? 

If the show starts at 7.30pm, allowing for a 30 minute interval, it would be over by 9.30pm at the latest, wouldn't it?

Isn't Month about 50 minutes? So probably nearer to 9.45 or even later - and I suspect you're right about the interval, because that's two very big scene changes to carry out. I can appreciate that some people would like that because they might be able to get last trains back to far places. 

• 1 month later...

The British born dancer Miko Fogarty who (i) has lived/trained in the USA since the age of two, (ii) won a number of significant medals and (iii) was featured in the First Position documentary has announced on her blog that she will be joining BRB as 'an artist' for its 2015/16 season.

Source

Edited by Bruce Wall

The British born dancer Miko Fogarty who (i) has lived/trained in the USA since the age of two, (ii) won a number of significant medals and (iii) was featured in the First Position documentary has announced on her blog that she will be joining BRB as 'an artist' for its 2015/16 season.

Source

There's an entire thread devoted to this news already (from 31 March).

Can I ask those in the know,how far in advance,or not,the cast lists are compiled for ballet companies? I want to go and see BRB in Swan Lake at the Grand Opera House in Belfast in November. They will be performing over 4 nights and that includes 2 matinees as well. I telephoned the GOH box office this morning,asking them if they had a cast list. I also contacted Birmingham Royal Ballet a couple of days ago asking them too but they never replied.The woman at the box office said because the performances are not until November it could be months before any cast lists are announced. But by then all the tickets will have sold out,as they are selling out pretty fast already. I`ll be buying my own ticket next week,probably. Just thought it would have been nice in advance,knowing which particular Principals were performing on a specific performance before buying a ticket.

BRB usually only put casting up two weeks ( or sometimes less) in advance.

Glad you enjoyed BTUK Anna, I did too!

Two weeks? Gosh. I guess i`ll have to take pot luck. Although i`m sure whoever the Principals are will be fab.[Thinking about being greedy,and if I can afford it,buying a ticket for one of the 2 Matinees as well as an evening performance.!!]

You usually get the "best" cast on opening and closing nights in my experience and lower rank dancers in matinees are more common but principals do do them too on BRB's case. However it is often the lower ranks where you can see something really special when upcoming dancers get a chance. It is annoying that BRB are so late with casting so difficult when you only have one crack at the whip. Other companies are much better.

It shouldn't, and doesn't, matter who you see with BRB!  Although I expect everyone will want to see the very wonderful Celine and Tyrone.  Sadly I missed them last time round but hope to catch them this time.

DQ is right, sometimes the matinees have interesting casts.

I have booked for all the opening nights and I am just hoping I don't get my least favourite of the Lady principals every time. I do so agree that there are some really interesting solists and I would always choose to Celine and Tyrone in pretty much everything.

I have been clearing out some of my late mother's papers and I found some old fliers for both SWRB and the early days of BRB under Sir Peter Wright which gave advanced casting. Those were the days!

Although I expect everyone will want to see the very wonderful Celine and Tyrone.  Sadly I missed them last time round but hope to catch them this time.

*You* missed Celine's debut, Janet?  Oops ...

Yes, Lisa, I'm afraid you'll have to take pot luck, because I doubt there's any chance they'll have casting sorted before the tickets sell out.  Particularly since AFAIK two of the ballerinas are on maternity leave (whereabouts in that leave I don't know).  In my experience, BRB are only really late when there are injury problems or the like, but I still wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.  I would expect some duplication over 6 performances, but wouldn't like to make a guess as to which performances those would be.

BTW, anyone know when we get even skeleton details about BRB's non-Brum performances?  I'd like to know what we might be getting on a second London trip - preferably before I need to decide what to commit to in Brum.

The details are in the SW brochure Alison and the tickets went on sale to the general public on Monday. It's Swan Lake at the start of the week and a mixed programme with T&V and The King Dances on Friday and Saturday.

Thanks for the reminder to book BRB triple bill- looks great!-at Sadlers Wells- and by booking ENB Lest we Forget at SW in September, at the same time, I got a handy 20% discount....! much needed with all the ballet on just now..leaving some funds for---

The Feb Ashton programme which looks wonderful -but am I being slow, or does it not yet say where this might tour (if anywhere).

The details are in the SW brochure Alison and the tickets went on sale to the general public on Monday. It's Swan Lake at the start of the week and a mixed programme with T&V and The King Dances on Friday and Saturday.

Thanks, Janet.  I knew that: I was hoping there might be some indication of what they might be touring later on in the season.

The Birmingham season details usually give a good idea of what will be touring after Christmas. The main unknown will be midscale as the tour just about to start is in its 2nd year so it will be all change. I suppose the other great unknown will be where, or if, there will be a Spring season in London.

Edited by Janet McNulty
edited to change predictive text I hadn't noticed!