You Tube Link

primrose

A friend has just sent me this link on face book. I was totally mesmerised by how outstanding these two dancers are. I think they are advertising shoes. I know people on this forum would love it so I just had to post it. Hope it works.

Enjoy.

Edited by Janet McNulty
  • Like 9

Hi Primrose,

I've tried editing it but I can't get it to show as a proper link. I copied and pasted the URL and that worked fine to access the film. It's wonderful isn't it!!

Do I recollect that someone posted a link to a playful film that Kobborg/Steiffel did a couple of months back. I can't find it now but that was fun too.

Edited to add that I think I've managed to sort the original posting and I've also added another link that I refer to below.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Janet, you are a star. I just cant stop watching it. Now they are what I call dancers.

Edited to add, oh Janet loved the link you put up, it really did make me laugh.

Edited by primrose

Who is the young boy in the first clip? He's got a bright future ahead, I'm sure. I've never seen Ethan Steifel dance. He's really impressive (great technique and commanding physical presence). I know that he's recently become RNZB's AD. Has he stopped dancing? If so, that's a shame.

Spannerandpony, my DD did her RAD intermediate foundation exam last week and one girl in the intermediate exam set immediately after her was wearing canvas soft slippers with crossed elastics and no ribbons! AND her teacher was with her in the waiting room overseeing warm up exercises including foot exercises, so it wasn't even that she was inadvertently wearing the wrong pair of shoes...I felt very sorry for her. Not sure whether she would be marked down for not wearing soft pointes with ribbons or whether the examiner may have said something to her? Whilst I think it would be a shame if she suffers for her teacher's failure to ensure she wears the correct footwear, equally it would be unfair for the others, who were wearing the required soft pointes, if she wasn't penalised somehow.

• Like 1

Kiwimum - I loved that clip of Kobborg and Stiefel showing us what they can do - what brilliant dancers they are! And I loved the less-than- subtle commercial message too - boy can't do the spin, boy puts on shoes in question and - bingo, boy can do the spin!!

I think I'll order a pair myself....

I had the immense pleasure of interviewing Stiefel and he is as kind and charming as he is a great dancer. I also had the opportunity to meet (not an intervie) Kobborg and he, too,was a pleasure. Truly great dancers are like that.

• Like 4

How ignorant am I, I didnt have a clue who the men where or which nationality they are. I am just a mum whose dd dances. What I can do though is appreciate fantastic dancers. Its a bonus to hear that they are nice people aswell.

• Like 1

We don't use soft blocks in France as far as I know... What are they? And soft points for that matter? I know what they are, I simply don't understand the point.... Can someone enlighten me?

Lovely work, but interesting that most are wearing soft/flat ballet slippers. All our Adv 1 girls have to wear soft blocks for class when not en pointe.

What is more interesting to me is hat one of them seems to be wearing a Bikini!!

• Like 2

How ignorant am I, I didnt have a clue who the men where or which nationality they are. I am just a mum whose dd dances. What I can do though is appreciate fantastic dancers. Its a bonus to hear that they are nice people aswell.

There is no such thing as "just a mum." It's a huge, life long, life affirming, complicated and essential task.

Being able to appreciate quality is the opposite of ignorance. Thank you for that wonderful link - made my morning. :)

• Like 4

We don't use soft blocks in France as far as I know... What are they? And soft points for that matter? I know what they are, I simply don't understand the point.... Can someone enlighten me?

Soft pointe shoes and soft blocks are the same thing. They've got a hardened toe but not a strong shank so you can't go en pointe in them but it gets you used to the feel of dancing in pointe shoes and they can help strengthen the feet (the shank is quite thick).

They're compulsory for RAD Intermediate exams and above but I've heard that quite a few people don't follow this rule which seems very unfair on those that do as soft blocks are much harder to dance in!

• Like 1

Thank you Aurora! In France, one goes from demi-pointes to pointes little by little but without going through the soft pointes stage. My DDs teacher who is not French actually and has been a dancer had never heard of soft pointes! Isn't it interesting how different countries do different things to get to the same results!

• Like 2