The Dress

swanprincess

But is there any explanation as to why one would see it as blue/black then white/gold within a matter of seconds without any change in light/screen etc ? Seriously, I question my sanity at the best of times, but this is winding me up ! Anyway as an aside I've just been giggling over a Sergei Polunin/Take me to Church parody I saw on facebook (a guy in his underpants dancing around his garage...) and I've also heard on the news that owls have been attacking people in the Netherlands....

• Like 2

I have never seen it as white and gold - to me it looks blue, with black lace (although the lace towards the top looks dark bronze). Apparently the majority of people have said it is white and gold, including my dh and his colleagues. Dd and I see it as blue with black/brown lace.

Something to do with light sensitivity and rods & cones, apparently!

Guest Autumn days

White and gold.

What I don't understand, though, is if people see this dress differently how come we aren't always arguing about the colour of things? Do the people who see blue where I see white in this dress always see blue when i see white? Now, I know that can't be the case so why is this dress any different? I'm sure there must be plenty of white and gold tutus out there!!

My dh has just taken (too much) delight in telling me that, according to The Times, emotional state comes into it. Apparently, because I saw it incorrectly, as white and gold, I'm more suggestible, powerless and gullible. I'm doubting myself over everything now!

• Like 3

See the BBC iplayer, "Newsnight" of 27th February, a scientist explains how ambient light affects colour perception.  It's about 20 minutes in, then at the end of the programme you also get an excerpt from "In the middle, somewhat elevated" which English National Ballet are about to perform at Sadler's Wells. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b054302t

well Roman Originals are making the most of the free publicity.  I went past our local branch today and its in the window display as "The Dress" and is being worn by the shop assistants.  After seeing it for real it is incredible how changing light can affect how we see things.  I knew under street lights colours were different but did not know bright sunlight could change perception so much.  I still see white and gold or very pale blue and gold in the photo and yet I have seen the real dress with my own eyes.

To be honest I thought this was a sort of hoax and that they were putting out two different piccies....one white and gold the other black and blue!

HOWEVER when I asked my partner what he saw.....who knew nothing about this at all...he immediately said black and blue.

We were looking at the SAME picture in the SAME room. He said the black was more like a dark charcoal grey but definitely couldn't see gold!!

The shade of the gold is darkish what I call "old gold" and I have a carpet in another room a similar colour( and talking about colour shades there's a whole story to be told about that carpet!!)

Does anybody see both sets of colours using the same photograph?

When I look at the original article published I can definitely see the original colours black and blue very clearly......they are quite strong colours too.....so don't really understand why I see white and gold in the original post here

And Thankyou Swanprincess for posting this!

• Like 1

I've only ever seen gold, never black, in the original photo. The other colour is a sort of pale blue to me, but I assumed it was white in some sort of shadow because that went better with the gold than a pale blue would have.

Having seen the dress on the designer's website, where it's obviously deep blue and black, I should think that the original photo was pretty over-exposed.

Edited by Melody

When I look at the original article published I can definitely see the original colours black and blue very clearly......they are quite strong colours too.....so don't really understand why I see white and gold in the original post here

And Thankyou Swanprincess for posting this!

This is interesting.  i agree, when I saw the article yestereday, I had no problem at all seeing that it was blue and black.  I showed it to several other people, including my husband, and they agreed with me.  Likewise, on  the website, it is very obviously a very strong blue and black.  The dress comes in other colours, and I can see quite clearly what colours they are supposed to be.

However, in the link that Swanprincess posted, the picture shows only a part of the dress, which is not being worn by a model, and both my husband and I say that it looks white and gold i.e the bits that should be blue show up as white, and the black lacy bits show up as gold. 

So, are we all looking at the same pictures?? 

Edited by Fonty

It's a darkish gold (and the white has a blueish tinge). I can certainly see the black and blue colours of the 'normal' photograph.

That's how I see it in the picture in the link too.  I've just had a look at the Roman Originals website and it is definitely blue and black on there!

I don't think its a hoax - I think Melody probably hit the nail on the head by saying the original photo is probably overexposed - though angle of sunlight can play funny tricks.  I gather this started with friends looking back at photos taken at a wedding they both went to and I would guess it is any reproductions of this original photograph that can fool people into thinking it is gold and white or pale blue rather than professional studio shots or catalogue shots.  I think swanprincess link is to the original photo.  DH and DD saw that as black and blue - I saw white and gold but having seen the dress on a person with my own eyes in the bright sunlight this weekend I can confirm that it was black and blue and the light played no tricks to fool my eyes.

• 2 weeks later...