What to expect at WL/RBS/Elmhurst Final Auditions

Lema

Hi I've been trawling through old topics and posts much of the afternoon looking for hints, tips and advice on what to expect from final auditions and thought it would be easier to just start a new thread asking!! My daughter has got through to Elmhurst finals and we have no idea what to expect so would be really interested to hear from people who have been through it all at Elnhurst but also any of the other big schools as I'm sure others auditioning this year would love to hear and learn from your insight, thank you so much in advance ????

• Like 1

Number of years since by dd did lower school final audition for Elmhurst but will tell you what I remember. Only one parent was allowed to accompany due to space and it was an all day event but this was in Mr Kelly's day.

For parents a proper tour of school and talk then sent on way to collect dc later in day.

For dc day included tour of school and boarding houses. Ballet class and physio assessment. No pointe for lower school and upper school was told it was very basic. There were basic English and maths tests but told these wouldn't be taken into account when offering places. Had to provide a packed lunch and ate with current students. Some hanging around whilst waiting for turn with physio. Seem to think started around 9 am and finished 4 ish.

Good luck. Tell dd to just to enjoy the experience.

• Like 2

When dd did Elmhurst finals there were 3 groups ! Each did a ballet class , physio assessment , non verbal reasoning tests and a tour of the boarding house. They did this in their groups and parents were asked to return to the school when their child's group were touring the accommodation ! There were approx 37 girls in total, grouped alphabetically, and I believe 12 were chosen. Good luck to your dd ! Enjoy the day x

• Like 1

When dd did Elmhurst finals there were 3 groups ! Each did a ballet class , physio assessment , non verbal reasoning tests and a tour of the boarding house. They did this in their groups and parents were asked to return to the school when their child's group were touring the accommodation ! There were approx 37 girls in total, grouped alphabetically, and I believe 12 were chosen. Good luck to your dd ! Enjoy the day x

Having been through all this last year, here is my little bit of advice.  Auditioning is so exciting and there will be happy outcomes and sad ones.  If, like us, you audition for a few don't forget you also need to focus on your non-dancing alternative.  What will this be?  What are the good things about this (alternative) school for your child?  If, after all the auditions, you are "stuck" with this non-dancing school you want to make sure that your child is still looking forward to going to it (or staying at it).  It's hard not to project your own hopes on your child but I firmly resolved to greet any disappointment with a shrug and an "oh well, never mind, let's stick with (school) then"  so even if my DS was upset, he would not think I was.  Disappointment for yourself is hard but if children think that they have in some way disappointed their parent, I think that is worse.  We did such a great job bigging up DS's local school, I know he wouldn't have minded in the least if that is where he went (nor would we, although in the end he did end up at vocational school).  So, in amongst all the excitement about the vocational schools, don't forget your alternative and keep reminding your child of what is good about that school too.

• Like 19

Thank you zoozoo, I am very lucky to have an extremely level headed dd, Infact when she received the good news yesterday she was very calm and just said "that's great mom but I'm not going to get too excited as it could all still end in a no, I am proud of myself for getting this far though" and to be honest we have always took the approach of an audition is just an opportunity to have a class in a top class school with the expectation of nothing more coming of it and I have found that way of thinking, although some call it negative, works really well for us as a family, as if dd doesn't achieve a yes from an audition she's still just chuffed to have got to do a dance class at "Elmhurst" or "The Royal" etc ????

• Like 8

That was exactly our approach to auditions too Lema. DD was thrilled to have danced in places she would not otherwise have seen 'from the inside' and have had class with different teachers. It is good to stay balanced as the 'no's' usually outnumber the 'yesses' for the majority of applicants.

And Zoozoo that is one of the best pieces of advice I have read on here. You definitely never want your child to feel that they are letting you the parents down by not being offered a place, nor should the 'back up' non dancing alternative feel like what your child is 'stuck' with. Ultimately we all want our children to be happy.

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

No you didn't JulieW :-) I did wonder how Tulip knows? Am I so addicted to this forum that I post more then I think I do?

Anyway, I live about 1h20min drive away from Elmhurst (good driving conditions etc). and need to be at work 17:45! So if they finish not later then 15:30 I should make it.

• Like 1

Sorry with auditions taking up a large chunk of the day, I pressumed you would not make it back to work, and with you not giving further information, wouldn't have wanted you to have been stressed trying to get to work, I was only trying to help.

• Like 1

Sorry with auditions taking up a large chunk of the day, I pressumed you would not make it back to work, and with you not giving further information, wouldn't have wanted you to have been stressed trying to get to work, I was only trying to help.

Of course Tulip, and I really appreciate your help! You are right that auditions are stressful enough - I shouldn't ad to it another stress - rushing to work.

But I had to cancel so many sessions because of my DD's auditions that I thought I should try and work on that Tuesday... But I guess I'd better cancel.

Thank you once again! My previous post meant to be funny ... I honestly spent too much time on this forum recently (I won't survive the auditions without it!)

• Like 1

COuld anyone please tell me what we can expect at the RBS/White Lodge lower school finals for year 8 please? Are all year groups invited on the same day, do they take a class together etc and how the day is structured? Also, how long do you have to wait to get the dreaded emails? Thanks

• Like 1

Thank you spanner and pony, I was aware of this thread but couldn't see anything in particular that relates to the rbs white lodge finals? If anyone can ease help answer any of my questions posted above please, now thread number 24, I would be really grateful, thank you!

• Like 2

I'm sure Vonrothbart has filled you in by PM.  There have been some discussions on this in the past, so do keep reading through old threads - you'll learn a lot.  But the year 8, 9 and 10 intake will be on a different day to the year 7s (usually with the boys, unless that's changed).  There's not much point me telling you more as my son went there 10 years or so ago, I'll leave it to the newer parents! 

We got our result by letter - they used to send them out very quickly after the audition weekend (when the older years and boys were on a Friday with the year 7 girls on the Saturday - but I think that was different last year?).  Most people got their letters on the Wednesday - we didn't and I spent a frantic 24 hours waiting and wondering whether or not to drive to the school to get it if it hadn't arrived by the Thursday!! Luckily it did :)    I'm kind of glad we didn't have Facebook and so much information on the ballet.co forum at the time - I just had a few phone numbers of fellow JA parents who were auditioning too and that was it - I remember spending quite a bit of time on the phone that day (hfbrew probably remembers it too!)

I do remember the final audition being on a lovely sunny day (as they often are for some reason - I also helped at a few on the PTA stall later) and the children loved it there - the main problem is that they come out wanting to go there even more than they did before they got there!

• Like 3