What to expect at WL/RBS/Elmhurst Final Auditions

Lema

Hi. I am so glad I found this forum! I am new on here and have so many questions I'm hoping somebody can help me with.

My dd has been an Elmhurst associate since year 4. We have mixed views about her going away in year 7, but felt we should give it a go, for both experience and to also see how she would do. These feelings are also felt by my dd, which I am pleased about, she knows what a wonderful opportunity it would be should she be successful in securing a place, but she also has a wonderful dance life at home and lots of opportunities for her to progress. As we were applying for Elmhurst, we thought we'd 'give it a go' with RBS MA/WL auditions also.

I am so proud to say she is in the final auditions for both! She never stops practising, so these results are a massive credit to her determination. It's very exciting!

And so to my questions......how many dancers (typically) make it through to final auditions, for both Elmhurst and RBS? I know how big a success this is, but I would love to know more around the statistics, to be able to truly see what an achievement she has accomplished.

I'm also curious to know how scholarships and MDSs are assigned. I am keen to know whether such schemes are presented on income, or the talent of the child (I ask because we have been asked to submit income details to Elmhurst). The fees do concern me a great deal, and I think my biggest stress is not with being unsuccessful, as I know she will take it well, but it's with being offered a place and us not being able to fund it. I hope this isn't too sensitive a topic, I am sure there are many other families out there thinking the same!

• Like 1

Dancing in the rain, well done to your dd, I agree with you with regards the music and dance scheme awards, the financial side is a big concern. Some may think we're jumping the gun but I've had to pre warn my dd that even if she gets offered a place unless there is financial help she sadly wont be able to go. There is a calculator tool on the rb website but I'm not sure how accurate this is and whether every child is entitled to this. Maybe they only give so many out, it's not clear. Did I alsocread some peoples letters said when the Ma results were out? :)

We've done the same balletqueen, pre-warned her. We will try everything we can though.

My email about the preliminary audition time said MA results would be out in March after all the auditions had taken place. That's all the knowledge I have on that, and we were pre-warned at audition that there would only be a few.

• Like 1

I'm sure Vonrothbart has filled you in by PM.  There have been some discussions on this in the past, so do keep reading through old threads - you'll learn a lot.  But the year 8, 9 and 10 intake will be on a different day to the year 7s (usually with the boys, unless that's changed).  There's not much point me telling you more as my son went there 10 years or so ago, I'll leave it to the newer parents! 

We got our result by letter - they used to send them out very quickly after the audition weekend (when the older years and boys were on a Friday with the year 7 girls on the Saturday - but I think that was different last year?).  Most people got their letters on the Wednesday - we didn't and I spent a frantic 24 hours waiting and wondering whether or not to drive to the school to get it if it hadn't arrived by the Thursday!! Luckily it did :)    I'm kind of glad we didn't have Facebook and so much information on the ballet.co forum at the time - I just had a few phone numbers of fellow JA parents who were auditioning too and that was it - I remember spending quite a bit of time on the phone that day (hfbrew probably remembers it too!)

I do remember the final audition being on a lovely sunny day (as they often are for some reason - I also helped at a few on the PTA stall later) and the children loved it there - the main problem is that they come out wanting to go there even more than they did before they got there!

He he Julie and there was me blissfully unaware that most people got their letter on a Wednesday whereas we heard on the Thursday...dh was waving the big unopened envelope when I got back from the school run. I agree that social media not always a good thing as back then Id have been frantic with worry if Id known others had already had letters!

Obviously 10 years on audition procedures have changed so its best left to people who have more recent experiences to advise on some questions. However there is a wealth of information on other threads about mds awards and auditions etc which do cover the questions people are asking. ( for example all RBS uk students get the means tested mds award)

I'm also curious to know how scholarships and MDSs whether such schemes are presented on income, or the talent of the child (I ask because we have been asked to submit income details to Elmhurst). The fees do concern me a great deal, and I think my biggest stress is not with being unsuccessful, as I know she will take it well, but it's with being offered a place and us not being able to fund it. I hope this isn't too sensitive a topic,

Don't pannic Dancerin the rain -there is MDS funding for all 12 girls and 12 boys At WL and most if not all the year7 at Elmhurst it is means tested and the scale is in both school websites - there is no priority as to who gets it -if you are suitable for training and offered a place you will be offered it at these two schools ????

Edited by Billyelliott
  • Like 1

Forgot to say Dancer in the rain the number through to finals varies a bit from year to year so is rather more difficult to comment on!

In our year it was 24 boys and a few more than that girls for the 12 places and for Elmhurst more than that for around 14 places

I remember the bursar at the WL final saying "Don't worry about the fees, everyone gets a funded place" and all I could think was "What planet do you live on?" as it was going to mean us finding several thousand pounds a year that we just didn't have "spare". We've always holidayed in our trailer tent, ran an old car etc. We did manage, but only by paying interest only on our mortgage, and the fact that my hubby got about half of the amount of the fees as a bonus most years (we used to spend that on things that needed doing around the house). Since my son graduated we've been making overpayments on the mortgage to catch up and have at last managed to fit a new bathroom that I've been waiting for for 20 years!!

I'm not going to lie, it was tough, and we do sometimes talk about how different our lives would be now if we hadn't had to fund his schooling \training, but I wouldn't change it for the world. He's had some fantastic experiences and is doing a job he loves and I've had a wonderful time along the way (despite the blips of being assessed out and injuries to deal with).

• Like 26