ENB Coppelia Casting - London July 2014

I didn't see this posted elsewhere and so hope this is helpful:

Wednesday Evening 23.7.14        Shoiri Kase                                          Yonah Acosta

Thursday Matinee 24.7.14          Erina Takahashi                                 Fernando Bufalá

Thursday Evening 24.7.14           Tamara Rojo                                       Alban Lendorf

Friday Evening 25.7.14                Fernanda Oliveira                            Dmitri Gruzdyev

Saturday Matinee 26.7.14           Erina Takahashi                                 Fernando Bufalá

Saturday Evening 26.7.14            Tamara Rojo                                       Alban Lendorf

Sunday Matinee 27.7.14              Shiori Kase                                          Yonah Acosta

• Like 1

I agree that Swanilda is not a natural role for Tamara, but perhaps she just fancies dancing it again. It must be a while since the RB put on Coppelia. It's a shame that Elena is not cast. I saw her in it in Bristol in 2008 and she was great. I'm looking forward to seeing Alban Lendorf again and I think that Yonah and Fernado should both be very good as the cheeky Franz.

Here's the press release:

English National Ballet today reveals principal casting for the London performances of Coppélia, which includes the announcement of Guest Artist Alban Lendorf. He will partner Tamara Rojo in what promises to be a sensational partnership at London’s iconic London Coliseum.

Lendorf was a recipient of the prestigious Benois de la Danse award last year along with former English National Ballet dancer Vadim Muntagirov.

Yonah Acosta will dance the role of Franz on opening night followed by appearances by Fernando Bufalá and Dmitri Gruzdyev. Shiori Kase, Erina Takahashi and Fernada Oliveira take on the role of Swanilda.

Principal Casting  - London Coliseum

23 Jul 2014: Shiori Kase (Swanilda) and Yonah Acosta (Franz)
24 Jul 2014 [Matinee]: Erina Takahashi (Swanilda) and Fernando Bufalá (Franz)
24 Jul 2014: Tamara Rojo (Swanilda) and Alban Lendorf (Franz)
25 Jul 2014: Fernada Oliveira (Swanilda) and Dmitri Gruzdyev (Franz)
26 Jul 2014 [Matinee]: Erina Takahashi (Swanilda) and Fernando Bufalá (Franz)
26 Jul 2014: Tamara Rojo (Swanilda) and Alban Lendorf (Franz)
27 Jul 2014 [Matinee]: Shiori Kase (Swanilda) and Yonah Acosta (Franz)

English National Ballet returns to the London Coliseum with the perennially popular Coppélia – the comic adventure story of Franz and how he falls in love with a beautiful, life-like doll, choreographed by Ronald Hynd.

• Like 1

I agree with MAB, Alison and Aileen's comments and I think that Begona Cao and Nancy Osbaldeston would have been better choices for the role of Swanhilda than Tamara Rojo and also Erina Takahashi. A shame that they do not announce the casting for Dr. Coppelius. I would book for any performance when Michael Coleman is playing, although, I'm on the verge of quitting attending ENB in response to their sidelining of one of their very best dancers: its a shameful disgrace.

• Like 2

And why doesn't Junor Souza get a crack at Franz, is it so essential to import a star such as Lendorf when there are so many company members that could also do justice to the role.  Clearly the company must have more money to chuck around than it used to.

• Like 2

I've given TR the benefit of the doubt up to now, but I've now decided that there is no doubt that she is definitely sidelining Elena and I wonder how much longer she (Elena) will stay. I also wonder how much longer Ksenia will stay if she doesn't get the promotion which she so clearly deserves (ie to a soloist position) this summer.

• Like 3

Well, aileen, I hope you've managed to book for Elena's Juliet - just in case.

James, I don't think I've seen Takahashi dance Swanilda (although my programmes are inaccessible at the moment), but I certainly have Rojo. It's engraved on my memory.

Aileen, I don't think Rojo ever danced Swanilda with the RB, did she? I'm pretty certain she wasn't cast in it, just as she wasn't in Fille (although that's a jumping role, of course, and we know her jump isn't one of her best attributes).

When did the RB last do Coppelia?  It is a charming ballet, and I always thought it is a pity it is set around summer harvesting, as it would be a lovely thing to see at Christmas.

I remember talking about this with someone once, and they suggested that the peasants could harvest Christmas trees, and Swanhilda could shake a pine cone!

• Like 2

Not wishing to be disrespectful, but is Elena not rather mature for Swanilda and, apologies to seem ungallant, she did seem to be carrying quite a lot of weight at the Russian Icons Gala last month. I was rather taken aback....

As are others cast for Swanhilda (rather mature,) which is why I mentioned Osbaldeston.  I didn't see Glurdjidze at the gala, in fact not since last summer's Coliseum season in which she was stunning in Raymonda, (at which point she had already been taken out of Swan Lake.) If it is indeed true what you say about her figure, then this would be a consequence of lack of performances and rehearsals. Doing one class a day is not enough for a body used to doing  roughly 8 hours exercise. So , if it is true that some pounds have been gained, it seems that Tamara Rojo's cruel calculation  would be working in her  (TR's) favour. An ugly, destructive game, I would say, and not the sign of a good artistic director. Solution is simple; let Elena perform.

• Like 2

I think there is a lot if truth in what James Sinclair writes and it did occur to me that the weight gain was probably related to lack of performances. It is odd that Rojo seems so persistently determined not to use her, even if that is an AD's prerogative...

• Like 2

Elena G was in the corps in Dust the other week. I am frankly disillusioned at the matinee castings it is nearly always the same principal why? when so many others could do the role? I don't want to see the same dancer every matinee i'ts the same in the provinces too you can put money on it so on that basis I have to give it a miss. Would have loved to see Ksenia or Lauretta or Nancy.....

• Like 2

I can't pass comment on Glurdjidze, as I know very little about her.  There may be all sorts of reasons why she hasn't been cast, none of which have anything to do with personal dislike. 

However, I think Takahashi will make a delightful Swanilda, and I would be interested to see what Rojo does with such a different role to the more dramatic pieces I have seen her in.  

I would have loved to see Nancy as Swanilda but perhaps it's too big a role for her. As Laurretta appears in the promotional material I had assumed that she would be cast. I'm looking forward to seeing Shiori in the role. It seems to me that Laurretta and Shiori's paths are moving in slightly different directions: Laurretta is being cast in the big classical and dramatic roles (eg O/O and Juliet) and Shiori is being cast in the virtuoso and more soubrette type roles (eg Ballerina in Etudes and Swanilda). I don't know how Ksenia fits into the mix; she has certainly danced a wide range of roles but I haven't yet seen her in a role which really tests her acting ability or flair for light hearted comedy.

Alison....ENB need to look at their previous castings to see the very recurrent pattern and mix it up a bit that is all I am saying. I am not getting at the dancers they presumably do whatever rota they are put on but the casting people need to realise it is boring for the regular matinee go-er.

Alison - I too am rather taken aback at  the (thankfully untypical) personal comments being made here about both EG and TR.  The point is: none of the posters involved actually KNOWS anything at all - they are speculating, especially in the case of TR.  In the case of EG, it's entirely possible that she herself has requested not to be cast in any of the pricipal roles until she has shed some weight.  It happens -  people should use their heads before making such hurtful and damaging public comments. 

• Like 3

My dd is dancing with Elena in 'Cinderella' next month (Elena is playing Cinderella). Elena is the patron of the Associate scheme my dd attends and has also been teaching at the Easter School.

If I'm honest, I could walk past Elena on the street without knowing who she is but when she dances - wow! She has such stage presence, and characterisation and is so lovely to the young dancers. I know all the young dancers feel so inspired to have the huge opportunity to dance with her. It is incredibly nice of her to give up her time for these young dancers and is a huge inspiration to them.

Sorry - I know this has nothing to do with the casting but just wanted to make people aware that sometimes dancers are doing other things too :)

• Like 3

In the case of EG, it's entirely possible that she herself has requested not to be cast in any of the pricipal roles until she has shed some weight.

Are you serious, dear Ann, in suggesting that she "has requested not to be cast in any of the pricipal roles"? Most probably she has requested the opposite.

Elena is the patron of the Associate scheme my dd attends and has also been teaching at the Easter School...

... sometimes dancers are doing other things too :)

The smiling sign is appropriate here. Elena will have more time to do other things after finishing her stage career. I can assure you that this particular ballerina still wants to dance her principal roles. I am very sorry not to see her now in any roles, except Juliet at a single matinee performance at Albert Hall (which is not my favourite venue for watching such a refined ballerina).

Thank you, Jaylou62, for your kind description of Elena' repport with young dancers.

Edited layout.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 2

Ann, *you* are making a personal comment about EG's weight! By July, EG will have been cast in very little in nearly 18 months. It's not sustainable for a principal ballerina to perform so little. Personally, (and if I go and see her - I would like to see Lendorf as Franz - I will watch her with an open mind) I feel that TR is one of the least suitable ballerinas at ENB to dance Coppelia and is a long way down my list which includes more junior dancers.

I had the pleasure of seeing Elena Glurdjidze dance Swanhilda (in Bristol in 2008, I think) and she came across as very 'young'. I also found her movement and acting joyously youthful when she danced Aurora in ENB's 2012/13 season - so lovely and so appropriate, in fact, that many a ballerina (of any age) could well take lessons from her.

Interesting to note that Alina Cojocaru is not cast in Coppelia and I am sorry, also, not to see Nancy Osbaldeston or Crystal Costa down for Swanhilda in London. 

But I am looking forward to seeing the Kase/Acosta and the Takahashi/Bufala casts

• Like 5