Treats for the Blues!

LinMM

After reading about Anjuli's ordeal and some of the homesick blues on that thread thought maybe there could be a thread about favourite treats we like to reward ourselves with (though we know we shouldn't) on those blue/stressy days. Even where we had them......never know when could be having a non local stressy day!

Ive gone on about hot chocolate with marshmallows.....trying to remember where the best one Ive had is!

But another is a Danish pastry with a sort of fruits of the forest topping strawberries blueberries raspberries etc. I first had this in a cafe in Lewes called Le Magazine but have now found another little cafe there which sells them! I don't know whether its a local supplier or cross country. A second best to this would be the Nero chain Danish with apricots as their pastry not so good as this other range.

Another favourite is chopped banana and mango with a nice helping of ginger and honeycomb ice cream.

We still haven't had Sunday lunch yet which is making this difficult to write!!

Are you talking about edible treats?  Or any sort of treats?  (Because I am a huge fan of a lolling in a hot bath with a good book if I have those "cold weather, short grey day, freezing cold" sort of blues. )  But edible treats?  Well, I love baking, and I have to say that a nice cup of tea and a slice of home made cake usually perks me up.

And I have to say, there is something about a bacon sarnie, on white bread, with lots of tomato ketchup, that seems to have a wonderfully reviving effect when I am feeling a bit down. 

I haven't read Anjuli's ordeal, which thread is that?  However,  if I am abroad and feeling low, there is something about a thick, hot chocolate that does the trick.  I remember having a wonderful one in Madrid, the best ever.  You could stand your spoon up in it!

Edited by Fonteyn22
  • Like 1

One of those times when one wishes one could just press a button, dematerialise and be beamed back home in an instant!!

Perhaps a luxuriant soak in the bath with a glass of wine is called for when you do eventually get there....hope not long now!!

Star Trek-type transporters have their uses.  Just a shame that they would actually need the power of a sun or two to work.  Trouble is, the virus has screwed up my broadband, so I'm piggybacking on work's Wi-Fi, which is why I'm still here and can't leave :(

Hope your computer is better now Alison.

At the moment, I am suffering from blues brought on by the stress of trying to do too many things at once, and getting very, very weary as a result. 

I would have to say that coming home and having a lovely dinner cooked by my husband is a wonderful treat for the blues!

• Like 2

Have you got a sweet tooth Spanner and P?

Both my partner and I are right in the middle of doing the dreaded yearly tax form which has tobe done by 31st October.

We both leave it till the last minute even though mine is really comparatively easy. Unfortunately my partners birthday is on the 28th so always falls just before the tax is due......so there is always considerable level of grumpiness and general irritableness around on his birthday!!

Every year we say we must do it earlier so can really relax and enjoy his birthday. This will now be celebrated on Friday. Not sure what form that treat will take yet! Probably just a pint(though not that cheap these days) in our favourite pub in Lewes.

It's amazing how attractive scrubbing the kitchen floor or washing the curtains can be when confronted with having to do the tax form!!

• Like 3

Downton Abbey!! I love watching from the beginning.

Plus "Friends"

"Homeland" (not cheerful but incredibly engrossing),

the 1995 BBC version of "Pride & Prejudice",

any series of Great British Bake off,

and my old favourite stand-by - "Inspector Morse" and then "Lewis". :-)

Ooh, I forgot "Gavin & Stacey" and (if you have a smutty SOH) Inbetweeners. :-D

Have you got a sweet tooth Spanner and P?

Both my partner and I are right in the middle of doing the dreaded yearly tax form which has tobe done by 31st October.

We both leave it till the last minute even though mine is really comparatively easy. Unfortunately my partners birthday is on the 28th so always falls just before the tax is due......so there is always considerable level of grumpiness and general irritableness around on his birthday!!

Every year we say we must do it earlier so can really relax and enjoy his birthday. This will now be celebrated on Friday. Not sure what form that treat will take yet! Probably just a pint(though not that cheap these days) in our favourite pub in Lewes.

It's amazing how attractive scrubbing the kitchen floor or washing the curtains can be when confronted with having to do the tax form!!

No, not really. I love a piece of chocolate or (mmm) a Charbonnel et Walker truffle, but one (or two, tops) is enough. Bars or boxes of chocolates last me months and months.

Give me a bag of roasted & salted pistachio nuts though and I have to tell Mr Spanner to remove them from me. :-D

• Like 4

Oh Janet, The Searchers - unashamedly weep buckets every time we get to the bit where John Wayne picks up Natalie Wood and you think .... you know the bit - oh gosh I'm going just thinking about it.  A wonderful film.

Must admit to enjoying watching 'arry Potter - such lovely Christmassy bits.  Of course, can't forget DD's favourite, Elf and really any Shrek movie normally makes me happy.

Current TV - Ripper Street gives me immense pleasure in the vocabulary and the sentence construction.  I did wonder around for a few days trying to insert "wherewithal" into my conversation as often as I could  :)

• Like 3

Oooo - I don't have the wherewithall to think of where to include the wherewithall in sentences!!!

I cry at exactly the same point in The Searchers.....

Did you watch The Escape Artist on Tuesday - I found it absolutely gripping but the neighbours must have wondered what the heck was going on when I screamed as the face appeared in the window!

• Like 2

Hooray tax all done and in......just about on time!!!

Also Spanish homework done!

So now the treat today is apart from the really lovely hot chocolate my partner has just made......curling up for an hour or so with this really good book I'm reading by Kate Atkinson called "Life after Life"

Well that is when I can tear myself away from the Forum!!

His treat is to watch another woodwork video.

• Like 3

Boxed sets?  I have put in a request for Christmas for  Mad Men Season 6.  I couldn't see the latest series, it wasn't on the Beeb. 

There is also the 3 series of The Killing, and 24. 

And I love The Forsythe Sage (the original black and white one with Eric Porter and Nyree Dawn Porter) and  Pride and Prejudice, with Colin Firth.  Ahhhhhhhh. 

I dont normally buy Costa drinks because they are very overpriced but i had a Chai Latte today, and oh my gosh it was bliss!!!

Other things that cheer me up; cuddles with my cat :)

putting on the "Odile's Coda" musuc and attempting the 32- on demi pointe only!!! ;)

The Youtube videos "Loca The Pug" (awwww!) and "Dansons la capucine- pattycake cats" (sheer randomess.) hehe! :P

• Like 3

After the travails of yesterday - I'm treating myself to a very fine hot chicken pot pie covered in a very light melt in the mouth crust.

I need to gain some weight back - that's not as easy as it sounds.  Goes against a lifetime of careful eating.  

But, I can do it - if I try really hard.....

• Like 3

I hope Anjuli's need to put on weight is answered.  But if you are still struggling, may I recommend the chocolate doughnuts that I used to eat every morning when I lived in Italy.  I managed to put on nearly a stone in 3 months!

As far as boxed sets are concerned, there is one I forgot, and which I love - Poldark with Robin Ellis and Angharad Rees.  One of those episodes cheers me up every time. 

• Like 3

Oh taxi yes that's my favourite series of Blackadder too.

How could I forget the Vicar of Dibley and Red Dwarf.

Swanprincess I have Chai Tea teabags.  Not as nice as the latte but I prefer these to normal tea.  I think you can steep the bags in hot milk but I've not tried it.  I expect Whittards sell it in their tubs of powdered flavoured tea.

Janet not seen The Escape Artist on your recommendaiton I'll catch it on iplayer

Anjuli - I'm trying to loose weight but I know that trying to put it on is harder, good luck!  It did make me happy to loose 3lbs this week as I have been stuck for 2 weeks not loosing anything :)

• Like 1