Michelle_Richer

Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

providers who run community activities, holiday clubs, after-school clubs, tuition and other out-of-school provision for children will be able to operate over the summer holiday with safety measures in place. Adjustments to the current measures for these providers are part of Step 3 of the government’s recovery strategy (from 4 July). Children will be able to attend settings such as tuition and learning centres, extracurricular clubs (such as ballet classes, gymnastics training, football coaching), uniformed youth organisations (such as Scouts and Guides), supplementary schools, private language schools and religious settings offering education (for example madrassahs, yeshivas, and Sunday schools).

From the link @Peony gives. 

It seems to refer to after-school & extra-curricular activities are permitted in school/educational settings - so schools, for example. The "Dance studios" in the list cited above maybe for the stand alone studio eg Danceworks or Pineapple.

I think they’ve had a last minute panic than there is no childcare available all summer! I can’t personally find anything that is running at all! Hopefully there will be potential for some of our ballet teachers to work and earn some much needed cash, there will certainly be a demand!

I don’t read it the same as you Kate, I think it refers to all tuition/ childcare etc. I agree unfortunately like much of the information it’s not clear though! 

As the Prime Minister confirmed in his announcement on 23 June, providers who run community activities, holiday clubs, after-school clubs, tuition and other out-of-school provision for children will be able to operate over the summer holiday with safety measures in place. 

it also mentions later on ‘as these settings re-open’ which makes me think it’s broader than just those on educational establishments.

im not sure if there is still the facility to ask questions like there was with the briefings. It would be interesting to ask!

Confusion? Surely not? 
Things are usually as clear as the light of day with Gov instructions 😂 

• Like 2

Given the current situation with support for the arts they probably haven’t realised that dance studios are a place of education 🙄

• Like 1

Has there been an announcement on complementary therapies like osteopathy physio therapy and massage etc. does anybody know?

I was thinking that as Premier League football clubs have now opened wouldn’t they possibly need certain treatments if they pull a muscle etc etc 

I’ve heard some chiropractors have opened or are imminently. Massage would probably be classed as beauty rather than healthcare though?

Well not the sort of massage I receive!! I class it on a level with osteopathy ....in fact usually keeps me away from the osteopath lol! 
And I’ve never had a massage in a massage parlour either! 
I originally had an appointment provisionally books for July 9th but had to be cancelled as Gov gave no announcement for these sort of treatments to go ahead. Just hoping will be by end of the month. 

Really if chiropractors are working then don’t see why health massage can’t go ahead if the practitioner can set it up safely ( I know my person can we’ve been in discussion about the safety provisions and protocol will be in place)  etc) and if I didn’t think it was safe wouldn’t have made the provisional appointment. 
I wonder if the footballers can receive sports massage 🤔 

I think it’s the qualifications of the person giving you the massage that makes the difference- whether it’s a recognised health professional. Otherwise I think it classes as the same as the ‘beauty’ industry. Many beauty therapists are extremely skilled and are very proficient at sports massage but without the health care qualification I don’t think they would be classes the same 

Completely about to lose the plot here with all the confusing guidelines. Nothing is clear. Everything is left open to interpretation. So angry at the whole situation. What we need is set rules. Precise, exact, detailed rules. I’m so sick of vague claims and announcements. And the rules should apply to everyone. What was the point of this whole lockdown if people in positions of power can just decide to do what they want and it be put down to judgement. What kind of message does that send?
Yes a lot of lives have been saved compared to having had no interventions. But I really truly feel that we’re giving up too early. The infection rate and death rate are still too high. In the end this will have been a waste of time and in my opinion there will be a massive second peak due to lack of consistency in guidance. If only lockdown had held out strictly a bit longer to get the transmission down further. 
Sorry, I got completely riled up there!! 
And breathe 😓
I want to go back to the studio as much as anyone. But what I don’t want is a return to everything too soon which will eventually lead to another lockdown and several more months of limbo. I just want to get this year over with, Get truly on top of this awful virus, and then return to a genuine normal ASAP. 

• Like 3

The person I go to is very highly qualified and now belongs to various Bodies. She is definitely a health care professional not in the Beauty business. 
when were Sports Physios given the go ahead to go back then? 
I think it’s just how some things are seen rather than any logic in these regulations. 
As sports Physios would have some degree of hands on then there’s no reason why similar practitioners should not be allowed to return to work. 
The person I work with is safer than some clinics as she is sole person on the premises and there would be fewer general public on a daily basis on the premises seeing other practitioners. 
Id be more nervous seeing her in a clinic setting. 

Healthcare professional is a specific term for those registered with a recognised professional body. so for example physiotherapists have to do an approved 4 year degree course and then register with the health and care professions council  It’s illegal to say you are a physiotherapist without this. 
complementary therapists don’t have that requirement, so legally there is a big difference between practising as a physio and practising as a chiropractor etc. Which is not to say that individuals are not very skilled. There are voluntary registers which have been advising their members on re-opening so it will depend who she has membership with. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DeveloppeD said:

Sorry, I got completely riled up there!! 

I'm totally with you, @DeveloppeD If I said what I really think is going on, I suspect my post would be deleted for being too 'political' but I think we need to think back to public statements about "herd immunity" made in February-March, and reflect ...

And as for risk: there are peer-reviewed papers emerging that suggest risks for people over 50 are very bad.** So a number of us are right to be very careful & cautious.

**If you do Twitter, Mike Otsuka (from the LSE) is worth following for links to this research.

• Like 2

Yes this is why the person I work with ( for about 18 years now) had to cancel the July provisional appointment because although she is ready to go as such if she was to do a treatment without the okay of her main Professional Body her insurance would be invalid if anything should happen etc. 

I would feel safer going to her than even the hairdresser ( no appointments yet but starting soon!) Because there would be more people passing through that premises during the day etc.

She told me that her main Body are now finally recognised under Sports therapy rather than "massage parlour" which is a great step forward. She certainly knows as much about the body's musclular system and general physiology as most physiotherapists but she would never class herself under this heading and always knows when an osteopath or physio might be of extra benefit etc when treating any specific injury although I don't just attend when I'm injured. 

So I guess when Sports massage is allowed then she will be able to return to work too but would never operate without the authority of her main Professional Body. So it looks like roll on August at the moment!! 

Somebody has now told me that the reason footballers can have their treatments at the mo is that the Premiership clubs are operating a strict temp control and testing regime not really available to Jo Public in the same way.

understand your frustration LinMM but hopefully it won’t be long until re-opening, to be honest it’s only recently that the necessary PPE has been available again which also would have made re-opening tricky

• Like 1