Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

I think most dancers have a love/hate relationship with their pointe shoes and doing pointe work generally.

I was terrible as used to wear mine until they were pretty soft as hated new ones not really that good for the feet of course. 
I never realised Kangaroos didn’t really have knees in fact Peony you got me looking at videos of Kangaroos hopping lol! Their legs are just so weird!  Apparently they also use their tale as a sort of extra leg for balancing when grazing etc. 
And can use their legs separately only when swimming! 
They really are extraordinary creatures. 
There’s a new instruction....now everybody ( whoops nearly said girls) just imagine you are a kangaroo when you push off. 

• Like 2

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Kate_N said:

That's a releve, surely?

which inherently comes with a plie ... it is  in the definition  or  releve  vs  the eleve (rise) ... 

Complete side note  ( interesting exercise which iirc comes from PBT- to make you  think about  releve 5th + weight placement  is to drill  the  releve 5th it from a  a tendu devant en  fondue so all the work is done by the 'back'  (supporting ) leg because the working leg  is completely unloaded  at the start  rasther an  for 'safety'  tending to put the weight more equally in both legs  starting from fifth ... 

My understanding is that a releve involves a Demi plié whereas you can push up onto pointe without a demi plié....so not strictly a releve. 
Where I differ from Michelle on this is that it’s a jump onto pointe which would mean leaving the floor. 
Some people might describe an echappe as  a bit of a jump onto pointe though it’s not supposed to be of course. 
Im very glad my pointe days are over though occasionally hanker after a nice bourree across the room on pointe ....just not the same on demi! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peony said:

I don’t think Michelle is jumping on to pointe? Just doing a small jump in the pointe shoes. 

Hi Peony

You have it absolutely right, I’m not jumping on to pointe, even though my teachers instruction were jump pointe close.

Its simply a high speed rise with strait legs through demi and through full pointe into the air, then descending through full pointe and demi etc. resisting to some extent on the way down, providing a similar braking action via the metatarsal and ankle as to what you are normally used to with the legs going through a plie, even that if its done properly, you will still articulate some of the weight through the feet.

Obviously using with strait legs the ankle and metatarsals need to be very much stronger to articulate braking force through them. That's why we have spent weeks and weeks going through rises at different speeds to produce sustained and controlled ascent as well as a resisting decent so we don’t incur injury on landing, I have also mentioned as part of this, its not just up and down, we have spent a lot of time going between full pointe and 80% pointe, and alternating between the two.

As if that's not hard enough for us to alternate between these two levels, we also have to repeat the exercise in second position and also on one leg.

When you think you have just about cracked it in most positions, the teacher insists you cross your hands holding the barre so you make more use of the power in your feet. Its tough but its very much about building strength, rather than looking pretty.

The jump on strait legs in all 3 positions is just a natural progression, hope that makes it clear to everyone.

Edited by Michelle_Richer
  • Like 1

I find Anna C releve video quite interesting, particularly when the dancer is on pointe in 2nd position, it seams as if she has limited mobility in the Tibia -Talus joint and has taken that up by increasing the range (bend ) in the toes metatarsals, even on releve 5th I do detect slight curling (scrunching) inward of the toes.

Although her movements are gorgeously beautifully with little or no effort, I have noticed with other dancers there is considerable more movement above the ankle on the Tibia – Talus joint, so consequently I've been focusing on increasing that mobility.

1553821038_footmobility1.thumb.jpg.21acbd75a0d5d872f077bbc212d29594.jpg

Edited by Michelle_Richer

The dancer in the video is the Royal Ballet’s Romany Pajdak, Michelle.  She trained at the Royal Ballet School and was promoted to Soloist in 2019.  Although the ROH’s “Glossary” series was filmed some time ago, Pajdak’s technique in the video is excellent; she’s not pushing forward or trying to go over on her platforms, she most certainly is not scrunching her toes.  Rather, she is *pulling upwards*, using her legs and core correctly, and has a beautiful straight line from platform to past her knee.  

There is *so*much more to correct pointework than mobility at the front of the ankle.

• Like 7

I find her almost perfectly straight up on pointe ...just about the perfect place you can be with a nice straight line created with the leg ...I have to say she doesn’t appear to me to be over pushing onto her toes and I’ve watched it several times. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I find her almost perfectly straight up on pointe ...just about the perfect place you can be with a nice straight line created with the leg ...I have to say she doesn’t appear to me to be over pushing onto her toes and I’ve watched it several times. 

And presumably, as this is an official ROH issue, one can assume the move is well executed (even if you are not familiar with the dancer).

• Like 4

She looks in the correct position to me too. Sometimes it’s just a question of slightly different foot anatomy. With different arch and instep height the metatarsals meet at a slightly different angle. 
there are definitely world class dancers who appear to wear shoes that allow a bit of knuckling but I personally think Romany Padjak has very good, clean technique. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi People

I must apologies for my absence from this thread, as I’ve been on Holiday in Scotland with my partner Adrian, Unfortunately we were not able to showcase our rep work there this year, but we did pop in and see Gillian our rep coach and very dear friend.

I agree with everyone's comments as to the beautiful technique displayed by Romany Padjak, I think Peony sums it up well in her comment, I guess at the end of the day I'm only splitting hairs.

As for the foot position in second, I guess I’ve just been looking at too too many enchappe’s in the Cygnets dance where the steepness of the foot is a little more pronounce, and of course as Anna_C indicates is achieved by “pulling upwards using her legs and core correctly” , personally I like to see the big toe more or less in line with the heel, but that's my personal preference.

I love her comment “There is *so*much more to correct pointework than mobility at the front of the ankle”, do feel free my learned friend to enlighten me.

Coming back to the original discussion on the thread, jumps without plies in pointe shoes, It seams according to Gail Grant’s “Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet”, that a Plie is not mentioned under Relevé, other than for the Cecchetti method, which also applies to the Russian method.

However I came across the term “Elevé”, which seams to better describe our pointe work movement to launch the metatarsal strengthening jump, although our teacher does use the word relevé although she clearly demonstrates it without a plie.

I guess Elevé is a slang term which is gathering momentum and may evolve into a proper description of this rising movement.

For the moment I'm basically taking a break from Ballet other than my pointe work, as we have a lots of house catch up renovation work to do. However we will resume things in the last week of September when I start my new schedule, hopefully it will include another two pointe classes a week, one will replace my rep as we are virtually up to date for this year, also with the same teacher, we will restart rep again in January with pieces from La Bayadere for 2022.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Peony said:

No jumping off any walls whilst you’re working on your renovations Michelle!

My you do have a good memory Peony, however as you can imagine I have since increased my horizon to higher things. While on my break I have repaired a split in our fibre glass facing you in the picture, sadly the company that supplied it has long gone out of business.

One thing from ballet that became extremely useful was stepping on to a ladder from the flat roof using turnout, so the extended foot steps along the spell of the ladder, allowing the hand from the same side to hold onto the ladder before transferring the weight off the roof, very stable and very safe.

Before ballet it was always a little bit frightening making that first step when I was stepping out on to the arch of my  foot.

68912039_MichellesHouse.jpg.361919090a0f37a24ee7390f79903510.jpg

• Like 1

As we are not in court and neither of us is a Barrister, there’s really no need to refer to me as your “learned friend”, Michelle. 😉

While you were away, the subject of adult pointework came up on this thread, which you may find interesting.

As you have already started pointework, I would hope that one of your Teachers would have already gone through the basic requirements for safe pointework, but just in case, here they are from the Gaynor Minden website:  https://dancer.com/ballet-info/in-the-studio/when-to-start-pointe/

Obviously the question of bone ossification does not apply to adult dance students, but the other requirements of strength (not just in the feet and ankles, but also in the knees, core, glutes and back muscles), body weight, willingness to learn, lack of physiological impingement, and most of all, excellent, solid, basic ballet technique on demi-pointe (including turnout and the strength and ability to *hold* turnout) AND the required mobility in the foot and ankle joints - all do apply to anyone starting pointework.  

Oh, and “Elevé” is not a slang word; in French it means “raised”, and in ballet it’s a rise onto demi-pointe or full-pointe without a plié.  Not a spring or jump, just a rise.

Hope that helps.

• Like 4

My feet are testimony to Anna’s post!!! 
In the 50’s children were often put onto pointe before they were fully ready so often did not have enough strength in the back to get onto pointe without putting too much stress on the knees and ankles. 
This of course can ruin young feet though probably not so acute for adults whose feet are already fully grown. 
My feet were growing perfectly straight until I started pointe work at 10 years old though it was a very minimal amount initially of course.  
These days most good ballet schools delay pointe work until at least 12 and only then if the student has reached a reasonably advanced stage of ballet which can be quite young in some students.
In adults it is a difficult area as even some otherwise very good teachers allow pointe work too soon in my view as students wear them down in the end about when will they be able to go on pointe!! 
I would say for adults at least a minimum of three years dancing though adults returning to dance so have got to a certain stage when younger may make this sooner. 
Most adults are quite good at monitoring themselves once on pointe so if having a lot of difficulty won’t get much further than barre work which is fine. 
In many adult classes the adults take off pointe shoes at varying stages in the class and finish in demi pointe when it all gets too much which is a good approach rather than struggling to do everything until the end of the class but not very well. 
For most amateur adults pointe work is never going to be that comfortable as it takes years of training for the professionals to make it look as easy as they do. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LinMM said:

Nice piccie Michelle! And no heavy lifting either! I know you like to do things at 110 per cent but a kindly reminder that we are not getting any younger ....I’m waiting for the expletives lol!.......

Why should there be expletives Linda ?

While I was on holiday in Scotland I played a long-shot as I had been looking for a particular electric outboard motor for one of my boats from marine suppliers near me without any success. I checked the US website for agents in Scotland and found Ardfern Marine, which is about 30miles south of Oban, and not too far from where we were staying.

I rang them, but also they didn’t have the one I wanted in stock, however the proprietor I spoke to thought he may be able to locate one for me, then I said I would need it by Friday as we are leaving for home on the early hours of Saturday morning. Adrian was worried we wouldn't get it in our car with him and all our luggage, especially mine, but with not tutus this year it was fine.

I received a phone call from in on Wednesday afternoon that it had arrived at Ardfern, Adrian and I collected it on Friday afternoon. It weighs 17Kg so I can remove it from the boat when not in use. Similarly with the large batteries too (4 x 110AH), not sure on their weight, but they are difficult to lift on to my charging station bench, so we are constructing some steps to design that issue out.

The weight of the engine approximates the weight of the Spinnaker bar I hold while doing 30 reps of pumping plies in second but on a permanent rise of high demi, good for the inner thighs, note no pointe shoes (yet).

While I can I will

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2021 at 13:50, Anna C said:

I would hope that one of your Teachers would have already gone through the basic requirements for safe pointework.

Thank you for the info, most interesting, however I would have thought that you would have known I don’t do “safely” and seek sanctuary in my comfort zone, I do challenging to push my boundaries. Pointework for me isn't something I would like to do, as I can dance solos well enough without. Pointework for me is an essential tool I need for dancing PDD’s, it not the same on flat especially for promenades or partner assisted pirouettes. I also intend to dance through the Cecchetti Advanced 2 pointe work exercises as part of the syllabus too.

I think the photo illustrates my attitude and culture I follow.

1740184314_Ifwewait.thumb.jpg.a7f612299af39830db107ea6a5f9c790.jpg

As for word Eleve, what distinguishes it for being a formal ballet term and not something that evolving from slang.

This is from an article in the Pointe Magazine November 2018:

"My biggest pet peeve is the use of the term élevé to describe a relevé without the use of the demi-plié. When I asked a former dancer from the Paris Opéra Ballet about this term, she looked at me with the most curious tilt of the head and asked, “How does élever pertain to ballet? I élève my glass for a toast, I can élève chickens,” which translates as “I raise my glass,” or I can “breed chickens,” “but there is no élevé movement in ballet.” The translation for élever is “to raise, bring up, breed or rear.” The reflexive verb se relever means “to raise oneself, to get up,” so when you do a relevé with straight knees, that’s just what you say".

Even though Gail Grans “TECHNICAL MANUAL AND DICTIONARY OF CLASSICAL BALLET” defines it as “Puple, student. The apprentice dancers at the Paris Opèra are known as les èlève’s”

However I have a DVD called THE VIDEO DICTIONARY OF CLASSIC BALLET and has it defined under Pointe work 9.0 as 9.1 eleve / rise, which is as you have described

The French word for pupils is written : élèves .....and has nothing to do with relevés or the word élevé. 
Just looking at those two words relevé and élevé I get the feeling the relevé has a sense of bringing together so drawing the legs underneath you more whereas élevé feels more like a rise in situ so for example in 5th position in the relevé your feet would come together and be touching but in an élevé (though personally I’ve not heard that term used in a ballet class) the  feet would be more apart from the 5th position from a straight rising up so to speak. 
I suppose the opposite of your saying is: « Everything comes to those who wait » But this type of waiting isn’t passive it has a meaning of everything in its right time. If you work hard at the right level first you will gain the progression you need to move on to the next level but perhaps in a more organic way. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 3

On 12/09/2021 at 18:47, LinMM said:

The French word for pupils is written : élèves .....and has nothing to do with relevés or the word élevé. 
Just looking at those two words relevé and élevé I get the feeling the relevé has a sense of bringing together so drawing the legs underneath you more whereas élevé feels more like a rise in situ so for example in 5th position in the relevé your feet would come together and be touching but in an élevé (though personally I’ve not heard that term used in a ballet class) the  feet would be more apart from the 5th position from a straight rising up so to speak. 
I suppose the opposite of your saying is: « Everything comes to those who wait » But this type of waiting isn’t passive it has a meaning of everything in its right time. If you work hard at the right level first you will gain the progression you need to move on to the next level but perhaps in a more organic way. 

Perfectly put, Lin.  I think “Rise” is used much more often in the UK than “élevé” but you are correct; they mean the same thing, and either can be used in class.

I agree completely with working hard at the right level first; particularly when it comes to pointework, which can lead to catastrophic injury if not done safely, correctly and properly.  

A gung-ho attitude in ballet class - especially when starting pointe - is not only disrespectful to the Teacher (never mind risking their Public Liability Insurance), but also risks the student’s safety, is discourteous to the other students, disrespectful of the correct process and can be indicative of a lack of maturity and an unwillingness to learn.  

Both of these last two would be warning signs for a good Teacher considering whether a student is even ready to begin pointework.

As a disabled person who had to learn to walk again after one particular spinal surgery, I know the importance of “slow but steady” and, crucially, accepting my limitations.  This is a hard lesson to learn and has resulted in a lot of tears, but it has taught me to respect my body, to learn patience, and to trust that my Teacher - in my case, my Physio - knows an awful lot more on the subject than I do.  

I suppose the “attitude and culture” I follow is “Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread”.  🙂

• Like 7

I think one of the problems with something like ballet ...or any Sport at high level...is that it can be a very fine line between being super fit and on the verge of the body being under par so getting ill OR an over stress injury to set in. 
And stress muscle and joint injuries in particular can be tricky in that they don’t always appear at the time you are putting the actual stress on them! 
You could do 250 repetitions of a particular move one day....and all is fine ...Then just go to do a simple thing like a tendu the next day and your calf muscle or whatever says no!! 
Im not recommending doing loads of repetitions of any exercise ....not even simple rises....30 could be strengthening and 50 a stress injury! There’s no magic number but to try and be really in tune with your body so you can sense when enough is enough. 
Just as we try to be kind to others so it’s better to be kind to your body. That’s how I see it anyway. 

• Like 5

On 12/09/2021 at 18:47, LinMM said:

@LinMM that's the way I've heard the 2 terms used in various studios in several countries, particularly if the teacher wants us to rise without plié or the 'snatch' of a releve. But to be honest, I don't hear the term "eleve" very often - mostly just 'rise onto demi-pointe.'

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I guess this has been the shortest half term I have ever done (3 weeks) as my extended summer break was between two holidays and a lot of house renovation, sadly that not quite finished as we have had a long delay in getting some new double glazing fitted, scheduled now for early December.

I knew things we going to be different with the retirement of my Cecchetti teacher, so I reduced my studies from two days a week, to one day as that release a day before my Lincoln one-to-one rep coaching.

However as I wanted to get on top of my pointe work, I switched the rep coaching to a second pointe work class. That pointe class is much different to my on-line class, as it seams a lot slower with the first 10 to 15 minutes with exercises in normal ballet slippers, but that said after 3 week it all beginning to make sense. I must confess I was somewhat surprised when that teacher said I would be on pointe in the centre by Christmas.

Although at this moment in time that target seams quite ambitious, but never the less I'm going for it with at least two hours a day dedicated to pointe work, even though I have robbed a couple of hour from my Tuesday Cecchetti studies until Christmas.

There have been another couple of other driving forces, My on-line pointe class numbers are falling, this last week we were down to only three of us, I will be sad to it finish unless we get new participants in. Monday was to be my London day with a couple of classes at the Royal Opera House, these were due to start on the 6th of September, but didn’t, it was later posted that they would resume towards the end of October, I contacted Bennet my teacher to see what the current position was, the ROH studios have not yet been released for our classes. So I have utilised the time for extra pointe practice.

Although I had managed to keep with a least one body conditioning class each day of the week (Monday to Friday), sadly two have just finished, Tuesday evening Pilates in my local village has ceased because our teacher has moved away from the area, Wednesday was my on-line mobility and stretch class from Karis Scarlette which also has just finished, she has been running it from Brazil for the last few months since she moved out there, for me it was a really good class as she is also a fan like myself of PNF stretching. Something I really got into a few years ago with Sander Blommaert .

In the past, Saturday was my pointe class day, which allowed me a good run up prior to the class giving me around 3 hours of pointe practice including the class. Recently that's changed to Friday nights, although the release of Saturdays is very welcome, its made Fridays very busy.

After a catch up with an old friend, I was asked if I could put some basic ballet exercises together for her. That has now developed into a 2 hour elementary ballet session that I run for her every Friday evening, and she loves it. Its fully documented for her including Barre, Centre, Stretch and Reverence. Friday mornings for me is also on-line Ballet Fit class .but I do have a two week break for half term.

Traditionally I have always used Sunday mornings for my PDD work with Adrian, however I have suspended it for the time being until the New year when we start on La Bayadere, as we have a boat to get read for its next Safety Certificate ( like a 4 year boat MOT) which expires in February, and we are in the process of changing the propulsion system to electric which has completely different set of regulations to comply too.

However we have committed to producing something ballet related for our local community hub this autumn/winter. Our proposal is a ballet in-site evening, covering a little bit of history, a demonstration of ballet mime with commentary from the mime scene from the entrance of Odette, as Adrian and I are both familiar with it, and of course various other extract from ballets as well as a display of tutu’s from most leading rolls which I have.

Well you have certainly been busy!! 
You were probably asked to do a bit in flat shoes first as most often pointe work classes are an add on at the end of a full ballet class ....so just a way to warm the feet and legs up first no doubt.

Ive been the opposite unfortunately as have had a hip flexor injury since the beginning of October and it’s not wanting to heal as fast as I’d like so haven’t done any ballet for a few weeks now just certain exercises. So annoying as had just found a lovely new local teacher who used to dance with ENB.  It’s very up and down ...I  think great it’s a lot better today ...as a week ago ....and then did a lot of walking in London and it really didn’t like that at all so has got a bit worse again 😢

It came on after a swimming session but Osteo didn’t think it would have been that so then admitted I had been doing a lot of ballet exercises in the pool and a bit more jumping than usual in the class the day before (as at least foot is getting better these days) and it’s on the same side as the foot injury!! Honestly you can’t win sometimes!! 
I do remind myself of my age on occasions  ( which won’t wash with you I know) but getting a stress injury is a pain ...on all fronts ....when older as do take longer to get better I think I need Stephen McRae’s team around me lol!!

Hope to see you in December by the way and meanwhile ....keep on dancing! 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Ive been the opposite unfortunately as have had a hip flexor injury since the beginning of October and it’s not wanting to heal as fast as I’d like so haven’t done any ballet for a few weeks now just certain exercises. So annoying as had just found a lovely new local teacher who used to dance with ENB.  It’s very up and down ...I  think great it’s a lot better today ...as a week ago ....and then did a lot of walking in London and it really didn’t like that at all so has got a bit worse again 😢

Ha, snap. Almost exactly the same thing here for the last two weeks. Very, very annoying, just as everything was getting going again. No obvious reason for it either.

On 26/10/2021 at 12:56, LinMM said:

Hope to see you in December by the way and meanwhile ....keep on dancing! 

Hi Linda

When I first see your comment about meeting up in December, my thoughts turned to our on-stage workshops at the Coliseum with ENB, as we have met up many many times to do those in the past and its really not Christmas without them. I even had a look on their website and tried an old email address of Learning@Ballet.org.uk which bounced as invalid, then the penny dropped that we will be meeting up for Chelsea Ballet’s performance, it will be good to see you there. At least that will be a bit of normality for us, providing we remain out of lock-down, but who knows.

Sadly I’ve had formal notification from ROH, here is an extract “Whilst keeping a close eye on COVID infection rates the ROH are still not ready to allow large numbers of visitors in the Back of House areas so we're sorry to say we can’t resume our wonderful classes there until further notice.” Oh poo no Tutu’s for the pre Christmas classes.

However I'm am back in London on Tuesday the 23rd November at ROH for the Royal Ballets Nutcracker performance with my new student as she has not been to a real live ballet performance before. I personally would have preferred Swan Lake but we are having to wait until March for that one. We are making a bit of a day of it together on the 23rd as it must be the best part of a couple of years since I was last in London, with shopping and a nice pre-theatre meal, you can guess where.

Sadly she missed her ballet session with me this week as she had been working at an exhibition in Spain during the week and one of her colleges tested positive on his return, hers was negative with a lateral flow test but has to do a PCR test 3 days after, so we postponed things to be on the safe side. I know a couple of Adrian's customers have come down with COVID so there is still a lot of it about.

Only one pointe class this week, as my on-line teacher is running an intensive this week, but my Lincoln one was quite good, as her plans for me are quite ambitious, I’ve asked her to put together weekly schedule of what we will be covering each week, so I can at least be proactive and work ahead of her to be familiar with what we are about to do.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Don't you just like it when a plan comes together, sadly things don’t quite happy that way as you would expect.

For weeks my pointe work has seamed to have plateaued out, even though my Lincoln teacher thought I would be off the barre by Christmas. Bless her she had created a hand written weekly schedule for me, so at least I had something to work towards.

By this time my pointe shoes were starting to get a bit tatty although they were still comfortable, I had enquired about availability of replacements Bloch Hannahs, which were out of stock at the time. My pointe teacher ask what other shoes had I, so the following week I took along both Freed and Russian Rubins. I had the Russian Rubins fitted at the same time as my Bloch Hannahs. At the end of class my teacher ask me to try them on and do a releve fifth with the right foot in front, which had always been awkward for me. Her remark was something like “My god you feet are completely different”. The only issue I had, I could feel a bit of discomfort of the little toe of the right foot which had plagued me in the past, so we didn’t develop that option further at the time.

I was notified that Block Hannahs had become available but only the hard shank version, and not the regulars that I had previously. I talked things over with my teacher but the result was a bit indeterminate, in the end I ordered them.

Then things took a bit of a dive, as per my previous posting the number of my on-line pointe class were falling, only 3 of us that week, the following week we were down to two with lots of feedback as you can imagine. I'm really on tender hooks that it will only be me. That following week I receive an email from my on-line teacher giving me a new link for the last class of the month, where sadly I will be away, so I notify her.

I got a reply to acknowledge my absent week, but it also advises me that my current weeks class has moved to Wednesday and not Thursday (normally its Friday). Wednesday came, I went through my 2 to 3 hours of prep including running through the previous weeks class recordings. One of the last things I did was a releve fifth with the right leg in front, it was rubbish and I was really downhearted and felt so unprepared for class that evening. I ran up the zoom link, which indicated the class was on Thursday, I doubled checked it was the only link I has for that week, and my teachers email definitely said Wednesday including the date. Whilst I was psyched up to do the class it gave me some breathing space to think.

The following morning was my pointe class at Lincoln, I said we are going to attempt to do something with a little bit of risk, I told my teacher what had happened the previous night, and I wanted to run through the whole of our class in the Russian Rubins with just an additional gel toe piece over the offending little toe.

Even I couldn’t believe the transformation it made, everything was so much easier and although the little toe was sore, it was still quite tolerable. However I wasn't sure if it could take the faster pace of my on-line class, but I had to find out.

Firstly to my delight we had at least 5 in the on-line class that evening, however I did warn my teacher I was using new shoes that had not been broken in, and I was breaking them in by using them. She did mention Lisa Howel has a good video of how to break shoes in, which of course I do have, and did use with my old shoes. The class that evening was the best pointe class I have ever had, just loved it, I remember the combination we did towards the end of the class. It went something like releve retire passe front to back then enchappe all repeated 3 time, releve retire passe front to back the pas de burree, then repeat sequence on the other side. We did the whole of it 2 or 3 times through. For me this felt like a real break through and I couldn’t sleep that evening for thinking about it.

In the mean time my new Bloch Hannah had arrived, I spent the weekend sewing the elastic and ribbons on. The following week was spent test driving those pointe shoes which felt quite different with both classes completed in them. Needless to say both classes went well, but the new Bloch Hannah’s seam to have less room in them due to the extra thickness of the shank. The platform of the shoe is noticeably wider than the Russian Rubins. On balance we have decided to train on the Bloch shoes to utilize the wider platform to develop balance off the barre and then to change to the Russian Rubins which appears to present a much slimmer and aesthetically pleasing profile than the Bloch shoes. The Russian Rubins also appear to have what looks like a suede covering over the platform rather than the usual satin, they are just so much prettier

I'm now well ahead of what my Lincoln teacher set on her weekly schedule and can now see the possibility of me being off the barre by Christmas. As we are ahead, I am also adding in some of the Cecchetti Advanced 2 barre work into the pointe work to keep things interesting.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Don't you just hate it when a wonderful week turns sourer .

The week started off really well with my first pointe class, most of the exercises we had been doing facing the barre and been changed to sideways to the barre and supported by a single hand a few week ago. The week before we started doing Burree’s facing the barre, last week it was sideways to the barre, with this Thursdays class my teacher is taking me off the barre. Apart from the burrees I not sure what else she has in store for me, but I was over the moon with the thought of finally coming off the barre. That class was brought forward to a Tuesday as I needed to be at home on Thursday and Friday to give Double glassing fitters access to replace a number of our windows.

Later in the afternoon following my pointe class was a session with one of my Physio guys doing hip release to help towards turnout and holding turnout on pointe, needless to say that coming along nicely.

INCIDENT 1: It was dark as I was travelling home on the main A16 which was quite busy and I could see a blue flashing light in the distance behind me. It came up to the vehicle behind me which I think was a lorry, who flashed me to pull in, I see the entrance to a lay-by more or less as I was passing and made to turn in, unfortunately due to the glare of the on-coming lights I didn’t see the lay-by had a nasty concrete curb which I hit and damaged a Tyre, at least I was able to limp the last mile or so home. I had actually wrecked the tyre and its pressure sensor at a cost of just under £200, ouch that took a shine off things.

INCIDENT 2: Next was our Double Glazing fitter which was allocated 2 days to replace 4 windows and a French door, Day 1 they were late and arrived at 2pm and had traveled over 80miles to us, looked at our job and decided to travel back home for an early start the following day. We were expecting them at first light around 8am, they arrived at 9.30am, partially fitted two windows, broke the glass in one of them, and left after three and a half hours work . In the mean time my studio is bunged up with furniture from our lounge to give them proper access, so I had to cancel my lady that does a couple of hours elementary ballet with me, although I did reluctantly manage to do Friday nights on-line pointe class.

INCIDENT 3: Adrian and I was to attend Chelsea Ballet performance at Richmond as we do most years. I was really looking forward to it as I know several of the dancers as they have either danced with me at LAB or as part of the Alive Ballet Company, also know many of the audience too. We checked the trains on the night before, although we could get to Richmond from Peterborough ok, it was virtually impossible to get home at night, I think there was one train that changed at Hitchin and called at a lot of small stations on the way, not only would the journey be very long, it would have been excessively over crowded. Reluctantly we had to cancel and I was absolutely gutted and I guess no longer felt part of things any more.

INCIDENT 4: Monday our Double Glazing fitters arrived just after 10am, did about half an hours work resealing one of the windows they had fitted, looked at existing French door then said to me “Its all to difficult, not just your job so I'm speaking to my boss to send another crew out”, I was gobsmacked and went to see Adrian to tell him what had happened, expecting them to come and tell us what their boss had said, by the time we had looked out the window they had gone.

Although today someone has called to see us, we still don’t have a date for when a new crew is to finish out job, our fear is it may be after Christmas and we have 4 rooms stack up with furniture etc to provide access for the fitters and a very sparse living space (our lounge) until we can at least get the window finished off and the French doors fitted, that will at least release my studio.

Just when you think it cant get any worse, it does

10 hours ago, Michelle_Richer said:

Don't you just hate it when a wonderful week turns sourer .

The week started off really well with my first pointe class, most of the exercises we had been doing facing the barre and been changed to sideways to the barre and supported by a single hand a few week ago. The week before we started doing Burree’s facing the barre, last week it was sideways to the barre, with this Thursdays class my teacher is taking me off the barre. Apart from the burrees I not sure what else she has in store for me, but I was over the moon with the thought of finally coming off the barre. That class was brought forward to a Tuesday as I needed to be at home on Thursday and Friday to give Double glassing fitters access to replace a number of our windows.

Later in the afternoon following my pointe class was a session with one of my Physio guys doing hip release to help towards turnout and holding turnout on pointe, needless to say that coming along nicely.

INCIDENT 1: It was dark as I was travelling home on the main A16 which was quite busy and I could see a blue flashing light in the distance behind me. It came up to the vehicle behind me which I think was a lorry, who flashed me to pull in, I see the entrance to a lay-by more or less as I was passing and made to turn in, unfortunately due to the glare of the on-coming lights I didn’t see the lay-by had a nasty concrete curb which I hit and damaged a Tyre, at least I was able to limp the last mile or so home. I had actually wrecked the tyre and its pressure sensor at a cost of just under £200, ouch that took a shine off things.

INCIDENT 2: Next was our Double Glazing fitter which was allocated 2 days to replace 4 windows and a French door, Day 1 they were late and arrived at 2pm and had traveled over 80miles to us, looked at our job and decided to travel back home for an early start the following day. We were expecting them at first light around 8am, they arrived at 9.30am, partially fitted two windows, broke the glass in one of them, and left after three and a half hours work . In the mean time my studio is bunged up with furniture from our lounge to give them proper access, so I had to cancel my lady that does a couple of hours elementary ballet with me, although I did reluctantly manage to do Friday nights on-line pointe class.

INCIDENT 3: Adrian and I was to attend Chelsea Ballet performance at Richmond as we do most years. I was really looking forward to it as I know several of the dancers as they have either danced with me at LAB or as part of the Alive Ballet Company, also know many of the audience too. We checked the trains on the night before, although we could get to Richmond from Peterborough ok, it was virtually impossible to get home at night, I think there was one train that changed at Hitchin and called at a lot of small stations on the way, not only would the journey be very long, it would have been excessively over crowded. Reluctantly we had to cancel and I was absolutely gutted and I guess no longer felt part of things any more.

INCIDENT 4: Monday our Double Glazing fitters arrived just after 10am, did about half an hours work resealing one of the windows they had fitted, looked at existing French door then said to me “Its all to difficult, not just your job so I'm speaking to my boss to send another crew out”, I was gobsmacked and went to see Adrian to tell him what had happened, expecting them to come and tell us what their boss had said, by the time we had looked out the window they had gone.

Although today someone has called to see us, we still don’t have a date for when a new crew is to finish out job, our fear is it may be after Christmas and we have 4 rooms stack up with furniture etc to provide access for the fitters and a very sparse living space (our lounge) until we can at least get the window finished off and the French doors fitted, that will at least release my studio.

Just when you think it cant get any worse, it does

Hello Michelle,

Sorry you’re having a rough week, but impressive that you’ve started pointe work as an adult 🙌🙌🙌. It’s inspiring reading about your ballet journey. I started ballet in September at the ripe old age of 45 having literally never danced a step in my life and am loving it. I started on one class a week at my local dance school and recently joined Hannah Frosts Pineapple adult beginners ballet. Just wondering if there’s any adult beginners classes you’d recommend please? And any tips for adult beginners?  I’m in Essex, so the more local the better, but I’m thinking I might have to travel or do more zoom classes? Many thanks in advance  🙏

Edited by Angela Essex

Goodness Michelle what a run of bad luck! They looked to be the workmen from hell ...did they not review the whole job initially so as to know who to send out? But in a way better than them “having a go” and botching it up. But really shouldn’t leave you in the lurch like that. Sometimes it pays to shop around and get a few people in to view the job before you choose who gets the contract if you not in a hurry etc. 
Sorry to miss you on Saturday as Chelsea show was very good and so colourful with lots of lovely music as well of course. 
The trains were very crowded though as there was an event on at Kew Gardens which is the stop before Richmond and it was the same on way back. I was impressed with number of masks worn though as it was much better than I was expecting so people seem to be taking it more seriously again. 
Anyway hope you get the windows fixed soon.