Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

At the moment it is the decision of the person who owns the studio/building etc as to whether it is safe to open safely for activities there. 
I think some privately owned studios may be open now for one to one or very small group coaching but any larger concerns of anything run by councils have not yet been given permission to run classes or open up gyms etc 

and I don’t think they will be until the social distancing comes down to one metre. 
To be honest I think if you are going to bother with social distancing at all then it has to stay at 2 metres. One metre is pretty close to normal distancing as after all most of us don’t stand on top of one another in normal circumstances 🙄 we usually keep some degree of distance from each other unless greeting or forced to travel in the rush hour. 
My feeling is though that barring a sudden second wave this summer ( which wouldn’t surprise me) that the social distance will be reduced to one metre by August or September. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who recommended 1.5 metres, I’m not sure where 1metre has come from, as you say it is pretty close. Unless you’re in the supermarket and people like to be 6 inches away from you🙄 I think some gyms have set up screens between the equipment to get over the distancing problem. I would have thought with ballet the hazardous bit will be corner work and grand allegro. Both because of maintaining distance and heavy breathing/ coughing! Barre and centre work the teacher could have marked positions for people to

stand?

Edited by Peony

The 1 metre distance is the WHO recommendation. Individual countries have specified different distances. Out of curiosity at the beginning of the pandemic I measured 1 metre on myself - it is from one shoulder to the tip of the opposite hand's fingers. So arms in 2nd position would give over 1.5 m fingertip to fingertip. So with normal spacing between dancers you are pretty well up to 2 metres anyway. This is adults of course, but it is easily achievable for younger pupils. Also, in classes dancers are rarely face to face, which is another important factor.

• Like 1

The other issue with kids is that they are so often coughing and spluttering everywhere. I’ve seen kids in the waiting room quite obviously unwell but they’re still sent in. Do you think dancing in masks is an option?

No I don't think dancing in masks is a good idea. I think Teachers will just have to make parents understand that nobody with any coughs and colds will be accepted.  Unbelievably, just before lockdown I had one parent ask whether her daughter could still come to ballet as she was not allowed at school as she was self isolating! Of course I said "no".

A friend who was in a medical profession said masks are no good when they become damp - as they inevitably will after a certain amount of time, especially if the person wearing one is indulging in something energetic.

I've got a hospital appointment on Wednesday and the lady who rang me to ask if I could go said I had to wear a mask.  How many masks do I need?  I can't drive myself to the hospital because I will be having drops that affect my vision put in my eyes so I will have to get a taxi.  I will probably be wearing a mask for 3-4 hours - is that OK?

It's all very problematic.

Yes it is Janet. You can't wear the masks when driving anyway if you wear glasses as they get steamed up so you can't see.

Ive also been told that it's unhealthy to wear them once they are very damp as then this attracts bacteria ...forget Covid lol...and they multiply quickly in damp environments 😳 

I think it will be trial and error so take three or four with you. One for the journey there one for the journey back and may be a couple for the hospital itself. 

Ive got some of mine now ( ordered from two sources) and then my partner was at Costco so,bought a small box of the more disposable ones. 

I can't say I'm getting on with them....and that's just trying them out around the house. I can't do more than 15 mins at the moment without getting uncomfortably hot. I will only need to wear one at the moment if decide to go into Brighton on the bus which takes 20-25 mins so am building up to it lol. They do make me feel as if I'm about to suffocate when I get hot though 😩

If wearing these masks sets off these fainting fits a series of which I had 18 months or so ago now then I will go to the doctor and get an exemption but I'm hoping to slowly get used to them and not wear for more than half an hour at a time. 

Im now a bit worried about the first visit to the hairdresser ....not that mine is open yet....as that will be quite a time wearing a mask 😷😱

37 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Ive also been told that it's unhealthy to wear them once they are very damp as then this attracts bacteria ...forget Covid lol...and they multiply quickly in damp environments

Ive got some of mine now ( ordered from two sources) and then my partner was at Costco so,bought a small box of the more disposable ones. 

This is true, so a damp mask would be some hazard to yourself. However, the aim of them at the moment is that they protect other people form you, so if everyone wears them it protects everybody! This isn’t influenced much by dampness they will still stop particles escaping still. You also mustn’t touch the mask whilst wearing it as you’re transferring particles to your hands. It only has to be a face covering so you may find a scarf or a bandana a little more comfy- not possible at the hairdresser though! If you visit the hospital without one they’ll also give you a mask. Best to try and find something re-usable though if possible- save the landfill!

i thought they would be a no go for dance but have seen a lot of dance companies marketing them!

• Like 1

I absolutely couldn’t dance in one or at least not at the moment but I’m assuming by the time it’s actually safe to attend most studios masks won’t be needed. I won’t be attending any studio which demands you wear them anyway. I would just have to wait 😢
To be honest I will only be wearing one at all as it is now mandatory on transport and in case some smaller shops demand it once I get out there. 

Edited by LinMM
9 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

No I don't think dancing in masks is a good idea. I think Teachers will just have to make parents understand that nobody with any coughs and colds will be accepted.  Unbelievably, just before lockdown I had one parent ask whether her daughter could still come to ballet as she was not allowed at school as she was self isolating! Of course I said "no".

YIKES!

5 hours ago, LinMM said:

I absolutely couldn’t dance in one or at least not at the moment but I’m assuming by the time it’s actually safe to attend most studios masks won’t be needed. I won’t be attending any studio which demands you wear them anyway. I would just have to wait 😢
To be honest I will only be wearing one at all as it is now mandatory on transport and in case some smaller shops demand it once I get out there. 

my background may make  things different  , being  technically a 'a veteran' i did a fair bit of running around wearing a S10 respirator (i.e. a gas mask) and  CBRN charcoal lined  suit and  in my  past NHS   health professional life i was for a while  one of the major incident leads for an emergnecy dept i worked in and  consequently  ended up training the  decontamination PPE  - which at that time included  the  PAPR  / 'space suit' kit   - fortunately i never had to wear it for real but have worn  it for 30 minutes  in training  -  and that is hard work  but it's a fully  sealed suit  apart f the  exhalation valves  and the  air being  sucked through the  filters  by the  pump  

dancing  wearing a  face covering  would be possible  (  after all  you probably would get more  air  than the Rats in Nutcracker )  ...  

yes cloth / none woven / 'paper'  masks become less effective as they become damp 

Edited by NJH
  • Like 1

Wow NJH I just couldn’t do what you do/did. People like you are amazing. 
It’s why I couldn’t go diving although not as bad as what you are describing I would definitely have a panic attack in that degree of claustrophobic equipment. I know you get training etc but I do have a weird problem with anything covering my face/head like that and it’s got worse as have got older. 
Yes I know what you mean about the rats in Nutcracker 😳 Many years ago I played the Wolf in an amateur production of Peter and the Wolf and boy was that headress HOT! Added to which it didn’t exactly give you 20/20 vision of the stage 🙄 

I remember as a child panicking about taking a jumper off over my head if it got slightly stuck for a minute! 
Have no idea why.... perhaps it goes right back to birth 😱 

I suppose if dancers were allowed back in studios but had to wear masks for the next year ( rather than a month or so) I would grit my teeth and manage to get to grips with it somehow 😬 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

Not sure where the studios opening for 1:1 or small group coaching comes from - the rules are that only OUTDOOR exercise of this nature is permitted apart from elite sports training (eg Premier League football, Olympic athletes etc). So these types of studios & venues should definitely not be operating in this manner.

• Like 1

Still no news from my Scottish School or my local rep coach. Like LinMM mentioned, I too have seen adverts offering one to one and small groups on site ballet teaching. Although not UK, I have also seen Russian Master Ballet Camp at Alicante, Spain are holding an on site intensive from 5 to 26th July 2020 for a limited number of students.

There was a short clip in the news about a Gym opening up with social distancing etc in place, I got the impression it was already operational but I may be wrong, perhaps they may be waiting for the 4th of July .

Another bulleting is to be issued tomorrow (Tuesday 23/6) with more details on lifting of restrictions.  

I think Wednesday would be a good day to explore the options with my local rep coach and I guess the 5th of July for my August booking at the Scottish school, that is as late as I can leave thing before postponing until next year.

I can’t help but feel things are slipping away for our week of one-to-one intensive in Scotland working on our own rep.

Although my local rep coach emailed me on the morning before the last Government Briefing, to say she was ok to cover my coaching against the day and times I asked for as soon as gyms had the ok.

Needless to say the Government Briefing on the 23rd was a bombshell, gym were to remain closed until further notice. That has huge implications especially for my ballet school in Scotland as they are somewhat behind England in lifting restrictions.  

On further investigation it has been suggested that England could at the earliest lift restriction on the 15th of July for gyms. Scotland has also mentioned that they would not consider lifting restrictions on gyms until after the 23rd.

One of the booking we were leaving late this year due to the virus was our overnight stay just north of Glasgow, a Travel Lodge at Dumbarton. I checked its availability this week for our August date. Needless to say it’s closed and not available for booking. Some travel Lodges are available in and around Glasgow but not many.

This got me thinking as to how safe is our hotel booking whilst at our Scottish Ballet School, especially as only about half of our local pubs and hotels are planning to open on the 4th under the new English rules. As a result I tried to look at availability for our Scottish hotel for the months of July August and September, but only found it would accept booking in late September.

Making the decision to abort this years preparation for Adrian’s and my Scottish intensive is going to be a painful one, especially as Adrian said in the early part of this year he wanted to retire from Ballet, I persuaded him to at least give me two more years, this year and next, as I already have that rep planned.  Also I really don’t want to throw away the preparation we have already done. But when push come to shove with the degree of uncertainty present I do need to decide when to stop, for me it will be immediately after this next weekend.

Firstly I’m hoping it comes clear immediately after the 4th, when gym lockdown restrictions are to be lifted in England. The next Scottish Briefing is due to take place on the 2nd of July, hopefully some concrete news of opening of gyms over there, otherwise my Scottish school, irrespective of their intentions will not be able to open for me.

Finally I will need to confirm with my hotel, that they will be open and covid secure for guests during the week of our booking.

If it still looks feasible, then I will need to talk to my local coach as she is on hold until the 4th and we can sort out the options.

If I have to abort things this year, then for next I will wrap this year and next years rep into the one year, which will be extremely demanding on the body and not without risk, so fitness preparation will also be essential.

I guess not everything is doom and gloom, in just over a week; I have a hair appointment, whoopee.

Adrian is also over the moon as his team Liverpool Football Club became Champions of the Premier League this week. He went to book a hotel for us near Liverpool to go into Liverpool to watch their last game of the season on a Large Scene display either in a pub or park over there to soak up the atmosphere, but after seeing the crowds that gathered the other night in Liverpool in celebration with little or no regard for social distancing, Adrian cancelled our booking.

Instead we have arranged to travel up to Leeds and watch the match at Adrian’s daughters; she too is an ardent Liverpool supporter.

I must keep him happy to keep him dancing.

It’s all very unclear but I don’t think you’re allowed to travel to Scotland currently without a very good reason. If you try and book a hotel or train etc it tells you it’s essential travel only, and they’re only accepting bookings for reasons approved by the Scottish parliament. I can’t remember when you’re due to go Michelle but I suspect the whole thing may be tricky, unless you could put it off until beginning of september?

20 hours ago, Michelle_Richer said:

I’m hoping it comes clear immediately after the 4th, when gym lockdown restrictions are to be lifted in England

That's not happening now. 

I think it behoves us all to travel as little as possible, unless it's necessary to earn our livings. Scotland will still be there next year! A lot of people have died (something like two & a half times the normal number of deaths each week, according to a scientist on the Today programme this morning) - personally, I don't think anyone should put pressure on our systems unless it's absolutely necessary for health or earning a living. 

• Like 4

I agree with you that we all need to be mindful of our impact on others and that will depend partly on our own individual circumstances and risk factors. It’s tricky though, is there a distinction between a person travelling to earn a living and another person travelling which earns somebody else’s living! Especially difficult for small rural communities if they depend on tourism. 

I don't think gyms are opening on the 4th July Michelle 

The only date I've heard as a possibility is 15 th July but that's not written in stone ....in fact I was guessing it would be September ..  

However I've been doing a couple of classes  on Zoom via the  Brighton Natural Health Centre and yesterday they sent out a questionnaire for us to fill in as they work towards their reopening!!! So they must know something! 

As well as their own plans which definitely includes smaller classes and no hands on etc  they were asking what we might want to be expecting 

One of the suggestions was would we like classes to be on Zoom still ....either separately... or at the same time as actual classes in the studio which I thought  was nice for people who may be more vulnerable and not wanting to travel just yet to be able to join in. 

But it was definitely looking like no drop in .....you would have to pay in advance either for a week a month or by buying a series of say 10 classes etc. Although classes in Brighton are never overrun as they can be  in London. 

Also the Brighton studio is a good size and has big windows you can easily open for ventilation. 

Im really hoping classes may restart sooner rather than later but they do usually have a summer break so not much usually goes on in August anyway so I'm thinking September and keeping fingers crossed. 

Ive been doing zoom classes with one of my main London classes too. This studio is in the basement of a church and would not be so good for ventilation unfortunately so have no idea when that will open but my problem with that is that I still don't want to travel up to London still. I haven't even been into Brighton ( about four miles) on the local bus yet so not sure when that confidence will return.

I know I could choose travelling times to get a train up to London which would have hardly anybody on it but it's the thought of anything going wrong.....I wouldn't be keen to sit on a train for hours with a mask on especially not in hot weather. 

Thinking of your journey though Michelle I absolutely wouldn't do it by train but if you are driving up there then that would be a little safer I think. As long as there are no sudden big spikes many hospitals are pretty empty at the moment so don't think you would be putting pressure on them as long as you are absolutely fit when you start off etc. 

However the problem with hotels is if you have to have an advanced booking you just don't know what will be happening with the virus in mid August in either Scotland or Lincolnshire so I Wouldnt  want to book until the day before!!! 

Look at Leicester suddenly in a lockdown all of its own ( though interestingly it's not the area with the highest R number ) and it could happen anywhere. It just seems a bit risky for more long distance travelling at the moment. 

I know this is disappointing but I wouldn't go unless you can arrange it right at the last moment and if the teacher is happy for that too etc. You should be safe with only three of you in the studio in terms of distancing though. 

I know this may seem a bit mean but I'm rather hoping we have unsettled weather in August so people don't descend on Brighton in their thousands as now the shops and bars and restaurants etc are open sooner or later we will end up in lockdown like Leicester 😢 

To be honest , your session in Scotland in August looks like a long shot. Currently in Scotland residents are only supposed to travel within a 5 miles radius of their home and travel to Scotland is not allowed wihout good reason. Even at the next stage when more travel is going to be allowed, the Scottish government is asking that people try and stay local and avoid non essential journeys to other areas. And still no certainty on when restrictions on hotels, restaurants. gyms etc will be (partially) lifted in Scotland and basically anything could be happening (virus and lockdown-wize) between Lincolnshire and the school in Scotland to make your journey more ardous. I'd agree with LinMM on the risk of long distance travelling anywhere and on not going unless you can arrange it last minute as I think it flexibility in terms of decisions is required

Edited by 2dancersmum
  • Like 2

My daughter is a yoga teacher and works for one of the chains that run a lot of Local Authority leisure centres, and they have been having meetings, discussions and training for ages about the safety procedures for re-opening. I know they are hoping to be reopening quite soon, maybe mid-July. However it's not necessarily going smoothly - it seems that the teachers disagree with some of the procedures proposed by the management  and there are issues around eg  cleaning between classes.

Edited by The_Red_Shoes

The Brighton clinic has already stated that people will have to bring their own yoga mats when it reopens and as said no hands on corrections will be allowed. There will be more space between classes as well but not sure who will be doing the cleaning though ....probably students and teacher of outgoing class!! But dance/ yoga studios are much easier than gyms as it’s only the barres and maybe floor will need a wipe whereas gyms you have all the equipment.

In the Pilates class I go to in Hove we always wipe equipment have been using anyway cleaning stuff is always on hand a few mins routine at the end of a session. 

I am not going to even be using the Barres for now and have allowed for cleaning between classes, I prefer to do it so I know that it's been done!! Tiny classes in large well ventilated premises... 

Unlikely now to be able to open soon but I am well prepared.... My car is full of PPE and cleaning paraphernalia now instead of Ballet gear! 

• Like 2

Hi Peony

The studios at the school in Scotland will be full if they have clearance in September, I usually book our studio during their summer break for the second week in August, that is an annual commitment for me and Adrian and has been for quite a few years.

LinMM

I agree gyms wont be opening on the 4th of July, but we may get a better idea of when that’s likely to be. I'm also seeing quite a few on-line intensives planned now for August, suggesting it may be later than the 15th in England and substantially later in Scotland.

As for the journey, its by car with an over night stop just North of Glasgow as the journey is around 425miles to Oban, although this time we have booked in at a little country hotel just outside, we know it well as Adrian and I often dine there.

As for leaving the hotel booking to the last minute , that simply isn’t practical as it a highly sort after tourist area, in any case I usually book with a small premium, so that I can cancel virtually up to the day of travel.

My take on this was based on the fact that tourism and hospitality contribute significant to Scotland's income, therefore I was expecting significant relaxing of the restrictions by the end of July, in time for the school and industrial holiday season.

2dancersmum

Trying to maintain the continuity of our session in Scotland since Covid has been a  long shot , we originally booked it around Christmas time. I understand what you are saying about the current travel restrictions, this is what’s in the Scottish Governments COVID 19 Route Map:

Phase 2 - Indicative Dates

Travel distance restriction relaxed - 3 July

Self-catering accommodation and second homes (without shared facilities) permitted - 3 July

Outdoor hospitality (subject to physical distancing rules and public health advice) - 6 July

Phase 3 - Indicative Dates

People can meet in extended groups outdoors (with physical distancing) - 10 July

Households can meet indoors with up to a maximum of two other households (with physical distancing) - 10 July

Organised outdoor contact sports can resume for children and young people (subject to guidance) - 13 July

All dental practices begin to see registered patients for non-aerosol routine care. Work will begin to return aerosol generating procedures to practice safely - 13 July

Increasing capacity within community optometry practices for emergency and essential eye care - 13 July

Non-essential shops inside shopping centres can re-open (following guidance and with physical distancing) - 13 July

All holiday accommodation permitted (following relevant guidance) - 15 July

Indoor hospitality (subject to physical distancing rules and public health advice) - 15 July

Hairdressers and barbers - with enhanced hygiene measures - 15 July

Museums, galleries, cinemas, monuments, libraries - with physical distancing and other measures (e.g. ticketing in advance) - 15 July

All childcare providers can open subject to individual provider arrangements - 15 July

Phase 3 - Advice on dates at 9 July Review (unlikely to be before 23 July)

It seam quite likely I will have to postpone Scotland until next year, but I will wait until after the 4th to make that final decision. If so next year is going to be tough as I will be rolling 2 years into one, as it will be Adrian’s last year as my PDD partner.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, 2dancersmum said:

To be honest , your session in Scotland in August looks like a long shot. Currently in Scotland residents are only supposed to travel within a 5 miles radius of their home and travel to Scotland is not allowed wihout good reason. Even at the next stage when more travel is going to be allowed, the Scottish government is asking that people try and stay local and avoid non essential journeys to other areas. And still no certainty on when restrictions on hotels, restaurants. gyms etc will be (partially) lifted in Scotland and basically anything could be happening (virus and lockdown-wize) between Lincolnshire and the school in Scotland to make your journey more ardous. I'd agree with LinMM on the risk of long distance travelling anywhere and on not going unless you can arrange it last minute as I think it flexibility in terms of decisions is required

Indeed, while  a well known adult 'intensive' hasn't cancelled their August bank holiday  event , I think quite a few of us who are looking at the  wider picture  suspect that this will  go by the wayside or be converted  in the way their  July event has been  ...  ( although the Yorkshire contingent  may have been heard to exclaim " 'ow much ?" )

there is also the  fact that if these localised lockdowns  have to go wider  we'll see progress slow nationally   even if  we don;t get a national roll back

Edited by NJH

Apparently ballet classes in England for children can restart from 4th July with safety measures in place (not too specific about what these are!), but unfortunately just children so more waiting for news for the adults...

• Like 1
16 hours ago, NJH said:

Indeed, while  a well known adult 'intensive' hasn't cancelled their August bank holiday  event , I think quite a few of us who are looking at the  wider picture  suspect that this will  go by the wayside or be converted  in the way their  July event has been  ...  ( although the Yorkshire contingent  may have been heard to exclaim " 'ow much ?" )

had to look it up and yes £20 per hour for a virtual class is a ‘little’ steep! 

2 hours ago, Peony said:

Apparently ballet classes in England for children can restart from 4th July with safety measures in place (not too specific about what these are!), but unfortunately just children so more waiting for news for the adults...

Do you know the source of this information? 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, hfbrew said:

Do you know the source of this information? 

because it's counter to what i am hearing from  all the ballet teachers  i know ... 

i think  it  really is [citation required]  time @Peony wrt  classes restarting

According to the goverment website they're still shut - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/opening-certain-businesses-and-venues-in-england-from-4-july-2020

In addition, all businesses and venues can reopen from 4 July, except for the list below, which remain closed in law:

• Nightclubs
  • Casinos
  • Bowling alleys and Indoor skating rinks
  • Indoor play areas including soft-play
  • Spas
  • Nail bars, beauty salons and tanning salons
  • Massage, tattoo and piercing parlours
  • Indoor fitness and dance studios, and indoor gyms and sports venues/facilities
  • Swimming pools including water parks
  • Exhibition or conference centres must remain closed for events such as exhibitions or conferences, other than for those who work for the business or organisation who run the venue.

• Like 1