If I had one suggestion for the Royal Ballet it would be ....

O.K.  .....  I'll start off ...

I REALLY think they should identify ALL their dancers in as personal a way as possible on their website.  

I would like to suggest (and I know this is NOT going to happen) but still it might be a dream to have each give a personal screen test a la NYCB.  This could be quickly shot in a matter of, say, ten minutes, with two camera operators, one sound person and then a team of editors to quickly piece the material together and download.  I'm sure there are a goodly number of extremely talented film school students (ah, yes those who get the discounts and now 20 additional places saved for EACH RB performance) who would do an excellent job simply for credit.

To give an example what I mean ... here are two WONDERFUL principal dancers from NYCB .... both now on a truly world class trajectory  ... (and, hey, - while we're at it - wouldn't it be great to have them guest just once in a RB performance of Balanchine or Robbins or Wheeldon or Ratmansky or the stunning work of that incredible artist, one Mr. Jason Peck.  Both are as well a stunning Apollo):  Young Chase Finlay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf9dcKlepWYand only slightly older - but equally brilliant - Robert Fairchild.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgCHUSb8Se4  Enjoy.  

Here is a (then) soloist, Adrian Danchig-Waring who we saw dance plentiously when the company was here at the Coliseum in 2008.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgRWPgZ-3UE

Here is one from a current NYCB corps member to give but another example of differing rank, Harrison Ball:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CNQLRI947U  I must confess sitting here that I don't know his work ... but having seen this film I feel I know him a tad and could easily pick him out of the crowd when he dances.   Here's a new female corps member, Indiana Woodward: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJuROl_LAoo

That personal touch could, I think, make SUCH a difference.  

Perhaps IF the RB were to do such a thing, Ivan could translate for Natalia.  (They are always so adorable together .... :)  .... and given that this would be a free flow personal thing ....

Edited by Meunier

O.K.  .....  I'll start off ...

I REALLY think they should identify ALL their dancers in as personal a way as possible on their website.  

They say they are going to be doing that soon - with links to forthcoming rep etc. Which if that happens could be cool. Lets hope they get it going before too long, as from everything I hear, I know it would be a very popular move.

• Like 2

This looks to be a tastefully simple format for a season promotion.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6HhGd0X0_c#at=119  

Looks too like Lourdes Lopez is doing good things with MCB.  Maybe we'll get a chance to see them again one day in London.  Some great looking dance(rs) too ... but then if you're being coached by the likes of Philip Neal :) 

• Like 1

I'd like to see them get out of London occasionally  (or even frequently).  Does anyone remember the old "Ballet For All" small touring group with lecture demonstrations/perfomances?  Perhaps some of the "Insight" events that happen in the Linbury could be taken out to small studio theatres in the regions as well.

• Like 6

Pas de Quatre - that's a brilliant idea. Perhaps they could do something with their senior students - it would give them experience and it would give the audiences around the country a chance to see a performance and perhaps learn something. Ballet For All was very educational and interesting. I'm actually surprised that they don't follow Central's lead and have a touring group of graduates.

• Like 1

Love the idea of bios - whether in writing or video form - for ALL dancers at RB (and ENB for that matter).

Sadly I've lost count of the times they've promised this as "coming soon".

I absolutely love watching the Insights videos so any way of making these sessions more visible to non-friends would be fantastic.

If the insights were taken around the country great idea....probably stand more chance of a seat then.....even when you are a Friend!!

slight problem with that - it sometimes seems that the dancers appearing, are the those grabbed as the last leaving the changing rooms!!  (only joking)

• Like 1

Is it possible do you know to queue for returns to insight evenings as in normal way for a full ballet......as this might be a way to a ticket I suppose if unlucky via Friends......a bit off topic as this is more "if I only had one suggestion for the Friends!"

Then my suggestion though I still love Pas de Quatres ....is that some of the more popular Insight Eve's be moved from the Clore to the Linbury especially ones with any dancing in it perhaps the Clore could be for just straight interviews only as its so small.

More DVDs, especially of triple bills and I would say more exciting programming for cinemas like showing Jewels instead of the Nutcracker but seeing as there were three of us in the cinema for the Ashton Mixed Bill I'm not sure that's practical. 

A small touring group of RB dancers would be nice, they could maybe do more modern pieces and maybe some pas de deuxs. 

They used to have written bios on the website, at least for the principals. It'd be nice if they brought them back. 

On a positive note the insight videos they have been posting are fantastic.

• Like 1

More DVDs, especially of triple bills and I would say more exciting programming for cinemas like showing Jewels instead of the Nutcracker but seeing as there were three of us in the cinema for the Ashton Mixed Bill I'm not sure that's practical. 

A small touring group of RB dancers would be nice, they could maybe do more modern pieces and maybe some pas de deuxs. 

They used to have written bios on the website, at least for the principals. It'd be nice if they brought them back. 

On a positive note the insight videos they have been posting are fantastic.

My local cinema was similarly under occupied for the Ashton mixed bill but I think that was more down to the time of year, the hot weather and the lack of publicity.  Some would not know what an Ashton mixed bill was composed of whereas they might have known one or more of the individual items. Normally the screen is full for ballet now and I am hoping it will continue in the Autumn.  I am with you about Jewels instead of Nutcracker.  I have never quite got to grips with Jewels and am reluctant to pay full whack to see it again but I would give it another go in the cinema

I'd like to see them get out of London occasionally  (or even frequently).  Does anyone remember the old "Ballet For All" small touring group with lecture demonstrations/perfomances?  Perhaps some of the "Insight" events that happen in the Linbury could be taken out to small studio theatres in the regions as well.

I don't remember Ballet for All but I do remember going to Dance Bites and I also remember the main company touring to Manchester and Birmingham.  A friend also told me that they came to Liverpool a couple of times but that was before I was interested in ballet.

I remember Dance Bites coming to Blackpool and being rather underwelmed by the experience. I'm sure a lot of not very experienced ballet goers would think as they are seeing Royal Ballet it would be classical pieces and the experience could be more off-putting than positive. However, London City Ballet used to do really good mixed programmes of divertisments and short ballets and I'm sure this would be appreciated and popular and need not cost too much if it was performed by graduates or corps de ballet and would be useful experience for them; fulfilling a similar role to Sadlers Wells in the 50s and 60s.

A more interesting selection of cinema ballets would be great but I realise they are limited as only a certain number of full-length ballets are performed each year. As it is it is very good news that the cinema ballets have been increased to 5. I can understand the frustration of the regular Nutcracker appearance but it is a very popular Christmas entertainment for those who can't get to London for a live performance and is a very good way of introducing children to ballet. Many will be more used to cinema rather than live theatre and it could be a good way of encouraging them (and their parents) to actually attend a live local theatrical or ballet performance.

More to the point what is being done with all these live recordings? Not that many seem to be making their way to dvd and why can't they be shown on tv? I thought the BBC had an arrangement with the ROH that if they helped with the filming they would have the rights to show so many on tv, or is this out of date, now? A few years back SkyArts broadcast all the 3 ballets shown that year; Bayadere, Nutcracker and I think Swan Lake but nothing since. My main plea would be for more ballets to be shown on tv and what better than the ones already filmed for broadcast.       Joan

You are a wag zxDave!! You don't happen to be one of those dancers grabbed from the changing rooms to do an Insight .....looks like inside knowledge to me!

hahaha! you wouldn't say that if you saw my 'figure'!!

No, its just sometimes the planned cast for these things couldn't make it, or something changed, and they have almost seemed to be winging it on the night. Saying that, they can sometimes turn out the most interesting, if it clicks

• Like 1

I remember Ballet for All. I still have my programme! It was my first opportunity to see proper Ballet live.

I'm very worried that our packed loft(in which it also takes all day to find anything) will one day come crashing down through our lounge ceiling.....the more so now because I just read in the paper only the other day about this happening to someone!!

• Like 1

At the moment, I would ask the RB to please announce the replacements for Alina in Don Q and R&J as soon as the company returns from its summer break.

I have asked ROH by posted comment and personal mail for this casting update for several months now - most recently - last week - I was simply told they would decide on their return from tour and the web site would be updated 'then'  . . .  have no confidence that the fact some of us have been pressing for this asap would even get back to anyone . . frankly was made to feel impertinent for asking - madness when tickets have been on sale for a very long time now not to at least to acknowledge that it is oddly long winded decision  especially for R & J which is selling fast on other dates . . . . .

Their 'stock answer' is usually that you're coming to see the company, not the star dancers. Which of course, for regulars, is utter rubbish. And perhaps even more so for people who come to see only the one dancer (such as Carlos). Actually, I get the feeling they don't like regulars much anyway - they'd be much happier filling the House with 2200 newbies and students for every show...

• Like 5

Hot from the Flames thread.....

Can we have both Lantratov and Vasiliev as regular guests with the Royal please!! Love them both BUT with a chance for RB dancers to guest in exchange if they wanted with the Bolshoi ! :)

Love the idea of bios - whether in writing or video form - for ALL dancers at RB (and ENB for that matter).

Sadly I've lost count of the times they've promised this as "coming soon".

Thinks its about 117 and counting....  lol

• Like 2

Hot from the Flames thread.....

Can we have both Lantratov and Vasiliev as regular guests with the Royal please!! Love them both BUT with a chance for RB dancers to guest in exchange if they wanted with the Bolshoi ! :)

I'm ther exact opposite. I don't want the RB to take on any new dancers or guests, but instead provide more opportunities for their younger dancers and cast their principal's in roles outside of their box.

• Like 3

I'm ther exact opposite. I don't want the RB to take on any new dancers or guests, but instead provide more opportunities for their younger dancers and cast their principal's in roles outside of their box.

Exactly my thoughts. The Royal has a lot of potential in the lower ranks who are just waiting for their chance.

• Like 3

Well the other two (who may not even want to dance with the Royal anyway of course) would only be guesting so the young ones could still have their opportunities......I agree the company is generally strong at mo and would like to see them too!!

The Lantratov/Vasiliev thing is a semi joke anyway....as is very unlikely and anyway wouldn't have to be in the same season!