Private Medical Insurance

celb

Aviva and AXA PPP are the ones we looked at.  Adding onto a BUPA work policy is the easiest option but we did not have this choice.  Price seems to vary on age, between £13 and £18 a month.  My husband spoke to school, their scheme providers and the physio school uses before opting for AXA.  We have fortunately not needed to test the policy out but the physios website still indicates it accepts AXA PPP.  This is not for Elmhurst .

• 1 month later...

I wondered if anyone has experience of arranging private medical insurance for vocational students?  The school my DD is at offers a BUPA scheme at £238.50 per term which seems very expensive, but you are allowed to arrange your own policy.  Any experience appreciated.  Thanks

I got quotes from AXA PPP and BUPA for my DD, as I had just missed the annual deadline for my company insurance.  I chose AXA PPP as they were a lot cheaper than BUPA, yet offered the same cover.  We have a family cover, but I'm sure they quoted me £25 - £30 per month full cover including physio etc just for my DD.  Basically it covered everything on the school policy.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Many thanks, I have rung Axa PPP and they have quoted £21.71 per month for the comprehensive cover with physio etc.  This will be a saving of £455 per year on what the school offers.  I hope this will help some other parents save some money too given that having insurance is compulsory, at my DD's school at least. 

• Like 2

I too have just sorted out private health insurance for my dd who's starting at Tring Sixth Form in Sept. I've ended up getting a policy with Aviva for full cover which is £28 per month. More than your quotes with Axa :-( but maybe that's to do with my dd's age. However, much much cheaper than the £225 bupa scheme that Tring were offering!!

• 2 years later...

Reviving this thread as the policy dd's school recommends seems to be a cash reimbursement one for physio/chiropody etc and does include two screenings a year at Laban or Birmingham BUT doesn't cover surgery, consultants' fees, hospital stays or MRIs - it's more of a maintenance cover. I looked at Axa PPP and BUPA online but at first glance their child policies only seem to cover a few sessions of Physio if it's post-op.

With the "comprehensive" policies a few people have mentioned, did you have to phone, and if so, do you have to ask for cover suitable for dance students?

I have put my dd on BUPA scheme via work and i told them she is doing dance training but it didnt seem to make any difference to the cost. I wish I had taken the scheme out earlier though as it excludes an injury which may now need surgery and may have been able to accelerate treatment if had been able to go private.

I have put my dd on BUPA scheme via work and i told them she is doing dance training but it didnt seem to make any difference to the cost. I wish I had taken the scheme out earlier though as it excludes an injury which may now need surgery and may have been able to accelerate treatment if had been able to go private.

Oh what a nuisance, chaperone. Does the BUPA one include physio that isn't post-op? I hope your dd recovers soon. :-(

Edited to add: Has anyone ever managed to get a quote online for a child standalone policy?? Every site I've tried so far today says you have to be 18 or over to get a quote online. :-/

• Like 1

Anyone know what is available when DC work abroad in EU? Only has E111/EHIC card.

Can private medical insurance be bought here if not living here and what are the likely costs?

It's not something that DS has but it's been on my mind as not covered by his ballet company and wondering if he should have something more that this EHIC.

What have others done?

Anna c- re: whether the cover I have for dd covers physio that isnt post-op...I am not sure as struggling to work out what it all means as its all unfamiliar ground to me... Perhaps ' outpatient therapies ' covers physio and she has up to £500 on that but hard to compare as it is a work related scheme.

Hope you can find a good deal out there.

• Like 1

Anna - DH rang up various insurances companies and just talked things through with them as we really were fish out of water when it came to the world of private medical insurance.

In the end, when DD was 16 we went with AXA PP Healthcare.  The policy was in my husbands name as DD was under 16 but the only person it covered was DD as 'family member'.  We chose the 'essentials cover package' and opted for some 'add-ons' to cover physiotherapy and outpatient care.  Price varies according to which add ons you select or opt out of with each insurance company as well as if you choose to take any 'excess' .  It is well worth a few phone calls to get your questions answered.  DH found them all very helpful (after all they would like your business)

When DD did need physio AXA were very easy to deal with and very prompt in their responses.  After DD turned 18, the price with them rocketed and DH phoned around again and found similar cover with Aviva at a similar cost to her original cover.  Hope something I have said here helps with your search.

Lottie - I believe the likes of companies already mentioned do offer private medical insurance for those working abroad.  We were happy with the policy offered by DD's company so did not shop around for further details so I cannot really help with any details.

• Like 2

Good luck with your search for a suitable policy. The only thing I would say is that I would not even entertain any kind of policy which did not include physio, consultant fees, MRIs and surgery, especially for an upper school vocational ballet student. You only need one significant event and you may well find you need all of these things and that your annual benefits under a policy can be gobbled up in the blink of an eye. The reason I say especially in upper school, is that in my opinion 6.1 is a high risk year for injury given the ramp up in intensity of training. As OPs have mentioned with regard to Bupa, we had our dd covered on a work scheme and it made no difference to them on the premium/benefit levels that dd was in full time ballet training. Private medical fees are shocking.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

reading this with interest as DD is booked in yet again for a sports therapist assessment - other foot to last year - suspected stress fracture by dance teachers, yet saw minior injuries clinic last night who said no, just a pulled ligament / tendon / muscle and to carry on as normal (depsite not being able to weight bear on that foot properly) :/

As a result we have just started thinking about getting private cover but didnt know where to start. 

I got quotes from Bupa, Cigna, AXA PPP, Health Online which is underwritten by AXA and I tried to get a quote from Aviva. Having given up once, then been on hold for about 15 minutes for Aviva I finally got a busy chap who said he was too busy to give me a quote but promised to phone at 11.30 am the following day. When he hadn't phoned by 2.30 I decided against Aviva.

Eventually I went with a fully comprehensive policy from AXA because the "child" policies didn't cover physio. I did find I had to phone though because getting a quote online when I didn't want cover for myself proved impossible.

We have not sought independent quotes because Dd is covered by school's policy. She has in the last few weeks needed to use it and I have dealt direct with BUPA and have been very impressed with their efficiency and clear communication. If future prices are competitive, I would be happy to continue to use them.

My DD first year at vocational I took the schools Bupa policy as I was new to having private healthcare so felt safer going with them. The second year however I called Bupa direct and was amazed at how much cheaper I could get her own policy for. Definitely worth a call to deal direct. Single policy's seem to work out better over group policy's ironically! Go figure. We have made one claim this year for something small really but would have cost me £1000! It has made no difference to my new terms and I felt they were easy to deal with. The school did help guide me too.

Shop around...it saved me close to £250 this year!

• Like 1