Non auditioned/general summer schools

Is it OK to start a new thread as the old one is mostly about auditions/waiting lists etc for the elite ballet summer schools.

Dd is going to the Hammond summer school again this year. She enjoyed it last year and this year wants to stay rather than commute. She is 11.

Where are other children going. Dd has a couple if friends who do Sylvia Young.

My dd will do two this year; LCB Performance Course as she rarely gets performance experience (and it's such a super week), and, later in the holidays, the RAD Summer School in Harpenden run by Mary Schon and Helen Brewer. Both non-audition, both great!

My DD1 will do two as well, the Northern Ballet Academy in Leeds with audition and the Northern Ballet School in Manchester with no audition but a certain level is asked and a minimum age as well... Hope they're both great!

• Like 3

My dd will do the Yorkshire Scholars summer school again this year.  It's non audition and great for ballet, contemporary and modern jazz.  It's resedential and my dd has been attending since the age of 11 and loves it.  So much to do and they are very well looked after.  Got to say we did look at Hammond but it clashed with my holidays from work. 

They ALL seem to be at the same time, late July/early Aug! You'd have thought the different schemes might liaise a bit!

Dd will be limited this year because of our family holiday but will prob book a few days of the Harpenden one for her.

• Like 1

huddsballetmum, my two daughters are considering the york scholarship ss but are a little nervous. they have never gone to something like this before.  they have no interest in going to vocational schools in the future.   is this ss purely for dancers who wish to have dance  a career or would 2 girls who are  losing their love of dance a little be way out of their depth?

Hi All,

finally found my password to get back on the site.Just a bit of info about the Cecchetti summer school held at tring ,They are now accepting students aged 16-- 18 studying at intermediate level . I think this is a great idea as they want to accommodate those children who are not necessarily going into vocational schools but still love and enjoy their dancing . They have some great teachers this year too.

Anyway I just thought i would let you know and you don't have to audition for this one .

love 

petipacat 

• Like 2

We have experience of the Yorkshire Assembly (York Scholars - apparently because it started as the RAD Yorkshire Scholars scheme?) summer school. It has a lovely atmosphere and they seem to have I would think at least half, if not a majority, of children who don't aim to attend a vocational school at any stage but who simply love dancing and want to spend 4 days doing just that. Equally I think there have been children from Hammond etc who have attended and they have announced places secured at I think Bird and Laines by some of the oldest students at the end of the display on the last evening.

Brenda Last has taught ballet to the older/ more advanced groups (my DD thought she was wonderful) and Gill Caplan also teaches ballet. They also have great contemporary and jazz teachers there.

A great plus is the beautiful setting at Queen Margaret's school, Escrick - very peaceful and very Hogwartsish buildings! Activities such as swimming in the indoor pool, discos, barbecues etc were planned for the evenings. Younger ones (up to 14 I think) share in dormitories of 4 and older students are in twin rooms. Friendships were easily made with dorm-mates and with classmates alike and you can request to share with a specified friend or friends, so your daughters would be able to share a room, dancetaximumx2 ;-)

thanks legseleven.  have spoken to my oldest who is now keen to do this summer school.  waiting for the little one to decide now.  happier knowing that there will be others who are maybe there for experience and fun rather than training towards a dance career.

• Like 1

Hi All,

finally found my password to get back on the site.Just a bit of info about the Cecchetti summer school held at tring ,They are now accepting students aged 16-- 18 studying at intermediate level . I think this is a great idea as they want to accommodate those children who are not necessarily going into vocational schools but still love and enjoy their dancing . They have some great teachers this year too.

Anyway I just thought i would let you know and you don't have to audition for this one .

love 

petipacat 

Ooh, that is good to know. I have always felt that there is a bit of a gap in the market for girls like my DD who are still passionate and quite "serious" about ballet but with no aspirations to go to vocational school. Maybe there just aren't many youngsters in this category? Anyway, thanks for the info on this. She is going to the RAD to do the adv foundation exam course in August and I can't run to another summer course this year, but will definitely look into this one next year.

Yes, you are correct for 11-13 one for sure. We sent application and photos at the end of last week and heard today that dd has been offered a place. She's looking forward to it already! Anyone else's dc's going? Would be good to meet some ballet.co.ukers!

• Like 1

Hi Lemongirl, I took the pics myself with he help of dd's former teacher. I am a decidedly average photographer and printed them at home. They showed the 4 positions required but were by no means great pictures. I think that as long as they show the poses required, so that turnout etc can be seen, that's fine. You can download application form from web site and it shows you what pictures they want.

Loulabelle, thank you, I have sent you a pm xx

huddsballetmum, my two daughters are considering the york scholarship ss but are a little nervous. they have never gone to something like this before.  they have no interest in going to vocational schools in the future.   is this ss purely for dancers who wish to have dance  a career or would 2 girls who are  losing their love of dance a little be way out of their depth?

Hi dancetaximumx2

Not sure how old your daughters are but I am sure that they would not be out of their depth.  The York ss is for pupils who enjoy dancing and wish to improve.  My dd had no intention of vocational school until this last year, but has really enjoyed the summer school.  Everyone is very friendly, they are extremely well looked after, the food is fab (and my dd is picky) and they make new friends.  If you would like your daughters to chat to mine before they decide pm me and I will exchange numbers.

I spoke to Elmhurst today and they still have places available.

Can I ask a question about it - do children who go tend to be local to Birmingham?  We are in London so a bit of a trek but dd is happy to board.  In a way I prefer that to a non-residential - less driving involved!

My daughter is doing Prague Masterclasses - no audition, but minimum requirements and photo required. We have one day off, then go to Florence for the Joffrey Ballet School summer program, also no audition.

We've never been to either so hope they are both worth the trek from Australia :)

• Like 2

Hi,

We are holding a fantastic Summer Course from the 27th-30th July in London at The Rambert School (Isleworth - Richmond). The course is for Age 14-19, no audition required. The course is contemporary based including ballet. Over the four days they will have contemporary classes with the Artistic Director and classes in Ballet/WatkinsDance rep/improvisation/Cunningham technique/creative sessions/contemporary-african. 

Guest teachers include:

Anna Watkins - Artistic Director/Choreographer of WatkinsDance

Bawren Tavaziva - Artistic Director/Choreographer of Tavaziva Dance

Holly Noble - Artistic Director of English National Ballet Youth Company, A.D dance company and founder of the F.C.C.

Katie Cambridge - dancer of Tavaziva Dance and Artistic Director of youth company Shuffle at The Place 

Hannah Kidd - dancer of Richard Alston Dance Company

Dancers of WatkinsDance

The course costs £150 for the four days, Rambert is located right by the Thames very beautiful surroundings. Accommodation is not provided. 

At the end of the course 2 lucky dancers will be chosen to spend a week with the company in August.

Please go to the website to download a booking form and email to:

Jennifer Teale
jennifer@watkinsdance.co.uk

Hope to see some of you there, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask :-) 

Anna Watkins
Artistic Director/Choreographer
WatkinsDance

www.watkinsdance.co.uk