RB SEASON 24/25 Announced

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

some theatres yes, but not most. 

There have been some Sunday matinees in the past.  I can remember seeing a Sunday matinee of Coppelia some years ago.

Sunday matinees can be problematic for out-of-towners due to regular engineering works and generally lengthened journey times.  In respect of the Coppelia matinee I stayed with some chums in MK the evening before to ensure I could get there in time.

• Like 2

Not sure about Sunday travel being accessible for non London audiences. The earliest arrival into London from Penrith is 14:18 - assuming there aren’t any engineering works and everything runs to time.

• Like 1

Yes, I've noticed that in the case of runs of Matthew Bourne productions at sadler's wells the Sunday matinees tend to prove most difficult to sell.

Posted (edited)

There are Sunday matinées for both opera and ballet from time to time at ROH (there's one for Carmen coming up this Sunday at 5pm, and they've done some at 12.30pm) - the timing varies. It's not a regular occurrence. Every now and again it seems to suit the schedules of all involved so it is put on.

I suppose Bank Holiday Monday is similar with regards to travel or some  services/things being shut and also that it precedes the work week. RB dance a good number of Bank Holiday Mondays (they've danced on Easter Monday for two consecutive years now, for example). The company (whether Royal Opera or Royal Ballet) generally won't perform on the Monday after a Sunday performance bur the other resident company can perform instead.

Actually the one that's very exhausting for the company (especially the corps de ballet) and the orchestra is dancing Friday night, Saturday matinee and Saturday night- by 10pm on Saturday night they're shattered!. BRB, ENB, NB, Scottish Ballet do it routinely on tours and their home theatres as they don't share residency with another company like RB/RO do. At Sadler's Wells it depends on the company- eg NYCB sold out on their Sunday performance (I spotted Marianela Nunez among the crowd), other companies that offer Sundays might not. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

Ah maybe it wouldn’t work then.

yes I’ve noticed a pattern of fewer trains (and longer journeys) on Sundays compared to Saturdays but it’s still preferable to a weekday evening for me given overnight stay, work etc. Even if it’s half an hour longer for me to get there (for example, each way) it’s still an option - compared to weekday evenings where it’s going to cost me far more in money and time (if you include an overnight stay). 

As @Emeralds points out I’d be less likely to travel on a bank holiday as often there’s no service at all due to engineering works completely closing the line. But I guess bank holidays they’re aiming for London crowds anyway perhaps, or those doing weekends in London rather than day trips as hotel prices would be higher round then too usually. 

Obviously if they don’t sell well on a Sunday then that’s that but I wonder if they would be more popular now compared to pre pandemic at least. But the point about tiring out dancers doing Friday, sat matinee, sat evening and Sunday is a pertinent one. Presumably they could mix up the ballet and opera programming though but again not an insider so don’t know how difficult this would be to do re sets/orchestra etc.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 29/04/2024 at 17:53, Sim said:

I wonder if we will ever get Sylvia or Ondine back?  I don't much like Ondine, but would love to see a couple of current principals in the role, namely Frankie Hayward and Yasmine Naghdi.

I agree. It would be wonderful to see Yasmine as Sylvia or any other ballerina, Sylvia is a fabulous ballet, and Ondine too, I would like to see them very much. La bayadère, too .

It's great news that they will offer Balanchine' Symphony in C , I can't wait , it's one of my fav. ballets ever. Certainly. but I think La bayadère should come soon, next season,  and it would be great, a creation, a new production of " Le corsaire" wouldn't be wonderful?  🙂 and what about Études by Carl Czerny ? 🙂 

Edited by santi
  • Like 3

Welcome to the forum, santi.  I'm afraid that neither Le Corsaire nor Etudes are in the Royal Ballet's repertoire, only in English National Ballet's.

Just now, santi said:

I agree. It would be wonderful to see Yasmine as Sylvia or any other ballerina, Sylvia is a fabulous ballet, and Ondine too, I would like to see them very much. La bayadère, too .

It's great news that they will offer Balanchine' Symphony in C , I can't wait , it's one of my fav. ballets ever. Certainly. but I think La bayadère should come soon, next season,  and it would be great, a creation, a new production of " Le corsaire" wouldn't be wonderful?  🙂 and what about Études by Carl Czerny ? 🙂 

Welcome Santi!  In addition to Alison's comment above, I'm afraid that we won't be seeing La Bayadere anytime soon.  One can only hope that Sylvia and Ondine will have a long overdue revival in the not-too-distant future.

3 hours ago, santi said:

I think La bayadère should come soon, next season,  and it would be great, a creation, a new production of " Le corsaire" wouldn't be wonderful?  

I agree about La B @santi which in the RB version has pathos, great music, and some wonderful dance elements (e.g. the Shades sequence, and the candle dance) but unless I have missed something  I don't think the RB have ever performed the full Le Corsaire?.... unlike the ENB.  I wouldn't want the RB to introduce Le C  now.... the RB has  plenty of other readily available classical rep. which I think needs priority. For me Le C has a rather feeble, uninvolving and slightly distasteful story which is just an excuse for a long series of divertissements i.e."short dances within a ballet that displays a dancer's technical skill without advancing the plot or character development".

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I agree about La B @santi which in the RB version has pathos, great music, and some wonderful dance elements (e.g. the Shades sequence, and the candle dance) but unless I have missed something  I don't think the RB have ever performed the full Le Corsaire?.... unlike the ENB.  I wouldn't want the RB to introduce Le C  now.... the RB has  plenty of other readily available classical rep. which I think needs priority. For me Le C has a rather feeble, uninvolving and slightly distasteful story which is just an excuse for a long series of divertissements i.e."short dances within a ballet that displays a dancer's technical skill without advancing the plot or character development".

yes , I agree about Le Corsaire , I didn't know that ENB had one version , anyway,  I think Études is really a joy from the beginning to the end and it's a pity that I can't see my favorite dancers in this ballet unless they are invited elsewhere . It's a pity , I'd love to see Vadim or Sambe dancing the famous variations for male of this ballet ,and what about the ballerina role is just fabulous , I can imagine Fumi ,Yasmine dancing the ballerina role wonderfully ,as all of royal ballet dancers. the other day I listened the ballet music of the red poppy by gliere and is fantastic , maybe the royal ballet could coreographie a new version 😍

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

@Mora I think it’s a high likelihood for Onegin with Marianela as they’ve danced this ballet together a number of times both at ROH and La Scala. 

Edited by FionaM
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, FionaM said:

@Mora I think it’s a high likelihood for Onegin with Marianela as they’ve danced this ballet together a number of times both at ROH and La Scala. 

It sounds sensible. 

I also tought that R&J might be  since (as well as Onegin) it will be celebrating its 60th anniversary in 2025. Same case was for Manon the current season.  

3 hours ago, FionaM said:

But she wasn't paired with him last time I think? So IMO possible but not probable.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

But she wasn't paired with him last time I think? So IMO possible but not probable.

In the last run Nunez & Bolle ended up doing one performance together due to both Osipova & Clarke being unable to dance. Nunez also did a performance with Clarke, replacing Osipova, in addition to her scheduled performances with Hirano so ended up dancing opposite 3 different Onegins.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3