Yorkshire Ballet Seminars summer school

Anna C

Morning all,

My dd's teacher wants her to apply for YBSS this summer and I had a couple of questions.....

Firstly, along with the application form & photos YBSS ask for your last exam report. It's a year since dd did Inter Foundation and 6 months since she did G6, and despite getting a Merit and Distinction respectively, she was ill for both exams. Consequently, neither exam report did her justice! :-)

We didn't tell the RAD about either illness, so there's nothing on the report to evidence why her marks were lower than usual.

Will this matter? Should I put any sort of explanatory note on the copy of the exam report? That probably sounds daft but she's never been to YBSS before. I just don't know how much store they set by the exam report?

She will have taken her Intermediate by the time of the course - but not by the time we have to apply.

What I don't want is for her to be put into a lower group than her friends from Associates because their dancing is at the same level. She would absolutely hate that.

Any thoughts?

I would think they will be put into groups based on their actual level (ie Inter/adv etc) not on their exam marks. Wondering if they ask for the report as proof of level as maybe some have not put their real grade down and have been put in a group too advanced for them?? I would put a covering enter in to say that when your dd is taking her Intermediate exam and forward a copy of the report if it comes in time!

• Like 1

I agree with flowerdew in that it is more a case of checking that a student did pass the grades stated- and merit and distinction are excellent achievements, the actually percentage is irrelevant.

Having run summer schools myself I've sadly come across some students who were clearly not at the level they said/thought they were. And its a pity because they then don't get the best out of the classes.

Do put in the info about pending intermediate exam. Also is there any where you can say shes an associate?

• Like 1

Flowerdew is right - they need the photos and last exams taken to get an idea of standard.  But allocation to classes will be on what they see.  Make sure on the application form you include any Associate classes as this is a better indicator of standard than exam results.

We were posting at the same time hfbrew - you just beat me to the button. 

Edited to add last sentence.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
  • Like 1

Yes, usually what I do is on the section where is says "Name & Address of Dance School/Dance Teacher" is draw a line down the middle and list both her local school and her Associate classes. :-)

I hadn't thought of the exam report being proof of standard reached but that does make sense. Thank you!

The first year my dd went to YBSS, she hadn't even taken the her G4 which was the minimum requirement.  However her ballet teacher wrote a letter about her ability and there was no problem.  This year, I just wrote a covering note saying that she was dancing at intermediate level and you can include details such as associate classes on the form.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is another one of those summer schools where application dates clash... unfortunately the non-refundable application fee, unless the applicant is unsuccessful, is 100 pounds a week! But the dates clash with those of RBS covent garden...the question is are the chances of getting into  RBS so slim that it's better to take the chance and risk losing 100 pounds, just to have a back-up summer school? Sorry if this is unclear, but its a major problem, and I have no idea what to do about it.  :(

I was going to wait until I'd received the result of my RBS application and then if unsuccessful apply for YBSS. I definitely don't want to lose £100! I guess there's the risk that YBSS would be out of places by the time I know about Royal but I'm just going to chance it I think

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm reviving the subject as you all seem to be talking highly of this summer school. I was trying to find information about the regular school I.e. not summer school and I can't find anything... I thought someone on the forum is bound to know. Do they have a regular school?

Thank you

There is no regular school afab, just 2 weeks every summer.  It is so well worth going though, excellent teachers from all over the place and although there are a lot of children, I have found that both years my dd has attended, the teachers have taken a very personal interest in her without which I don't think I would've thought about sending her to vocational school.

• Like 1

I have applied for this summer school- when should I expect to hear back from them? I want to respond to the other summer schools I have got into because the response day thing is pretty soon but I don't want to reply and pay then find out I have a place at ybs and loose loads of money!

Hi Meganreid; Ive applied too for the first time this year. I remember reading somewhere that they will inform you of wether you got in or not within 2-3 weeks of your application. I only sent my form this week so havent heard anything yet. It says on the website the full fees have to be paid by May 15th, so presumably we will hear by mid april x

Oh okay :-) ....yikes, just realised that if you applied a month ago, it might take them a month to reply yes/no to me!! Thats annoying not only because im getting very impatient ;) but also if I get in, I wont be going on holiday abroad with the family this year because its too expensive to do both, but my parents need to know when/where im going so they can book their holiday... Urgh! :P x

• Like 1

DS has been there for either one or two weeks for the past four years and has applied for the 2nd week for this summer.

Last year we heard at the very end of April.

The date 5th of May is for the Scholarship auditons held this year at Rambert at various time depending on the age of your DC.

In previous years you needed to have filled in an application form and got hold of an audition application form by writing in for one but it says on their website to apply by either letter or email for these auditions and says nothing about a form so a bit confused by that. Unless I've read it incorrectly.

Have emailed them twice now about Scholarship audition form and have had no reply yet. First eamil was in early Feb and second one was last week.

Will be happy to try and answer any queries about YBSS that anyone may have. 

Hi Lottie

Do most people who apply for YBSS get a place? Ive applied for YBSS and Elmhurst, so I dont know wether to apply anywhere else in case I dont get in to either?

Also, roughly how many apply for the age 14-16 scholarships and how many get them? (just trying to work out wether its worth going to the audition...)

Thanks x

swanprincess - I honestly don't know how many apply for the one or two weeks and haven't heard of anyone not getting a place but I'm sure that there must be. Somewhere on this forum I think someone wrote that they got their deposit back as I think that either they couldn't go in the end or went to a different summer school.

This will be the third year that scholarships have been open to girls before then it was just a boys audition. Last year for 17+ there were approx 20 at the audition. DS goes with the attitude that if you don't try you'll never know. But a lot of the scholarships do go to RBS students. 

Lemongirl - We've ony just applied for a non scholarship place but DS will go to the scholarship auditions. We applied at the end of March last year as well. 

The second week is the quieter week with less students my DS has found so perhaps it's easier to get a place that week.

Will be back on this site tomorrow. :)

Lottie have I understood you correctly? Is that 20 students auditioning for 17 scholarships? That seems like good odds!

How many scholarships for girls aged 14-16 do you know?

Such a shame it is on the Bank Holiday week-end as we are away as I assume a lot of people will be. Poor planning.