Massage gun views?

Streetdancer

My DD is training at college and has asked for a massage gun to help with her tight muscles in shoulders and quads especially. I've done a bit of research and there doesn't seem to be much evidence that they're effective. 

Has anybody got any experience with them? Are they worthwhile?

I don't want to buy her something that'll end up sat in a corner. I wonder if a regular sports massage might be more effective?

Absolutely! Was just going to advise this!! 
Try and find a massage therapist who perhaps started out as a physiotherapist as they are very good at giving out good exercises to do following a treatment as well …..very useful when also being treated for an injury. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Thanks 1

My daughter uses a combination of magnesium salts in a bath or magnesium spray (if she’s short on time) plus compression tights and a quick blitz with a Bob and Brad massage gun.  Fits in easily with her nightly routine and she notices a big difference if she skips a night so I’d say it works for her although everyone is different.

My husband is a keen cyclist and pretty much uses the same routine… don’t think he would be able to walk otherwise 🤣

A massage gun is very effective and it’s right there whenever you need. My daughter used hers every night ( most students had one) whilst training and still uses it now, as does the rest of the family ( for niggles after running and tennis). I think you need to research the best gun for best performance. Sports massage is obviously great and probably better for serious, long term issues but it’s expensive, often hard to book appointments just when you need and then there’s the travel.

We bought the Recovapro half price ( still expensive) from a physio center who were selling them off because there was a newer model. I emailed them several times to check how ‘used’ it was first. 3 years later and it’s just fine. You can’t beat a regular sports massage but this works great on problem spots and I was even told to use it on my Retriever by the vet -to boost cell stimulation in her elbows.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I’ve never before heard of a massage gun….am intrigued!! Can someone please post a photo or link to item/video to show what one is/does… would be really helpful! Thanks 

Neither had I and I'd love to see what one looks like too!!

13 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I’ve never before heard of a massage gun….am intrigued!! Can someone please post a photo or link to item/video to show what one is/does… would be really helpful! Thanks 

Just looked on Amazon - a bit like a hairdryer with a ball on the end!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=massage+gun+deep+tissue&crid=MS5JLLY9RDYH&sprefix=massage%2Caps%2C93&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_7

• Thanks 1