New Book - 'Dynamo - Michael Somes, A Life in The Royal Ballet'.

When I tried to order the Muntagirov autobiography from my local Waterstones back in - I think - June, they said it probably wouldn't arrive before Christmas due to it being print-on-demand. 

I got it from elsewhere in the end!

Edited by RHowarth
  • Like 1

Print-on-demand is normally available in less than a week.

The ROH Shop has been posting out copies of Vadim Muntagirov’s book worldwide virtually immediately - as well as stocking it, of course.

So, if its shop decides to run with the Michael Somes book, as it surely will, the ROH will probably be the best retailer to try.

Maybe the reported delay in delivery is because the pre-publicity is running too far ahead of the title being ready. Something like that happened with Ashley Killar’s biography of John Cranko, I think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Isn't Muntagirov's book self-published?

The Somes book is published by  David Leonard / Dance Books.  It's odd to have the reviews out so long in advance of the book being available isn't it? 

Perhaps pre orders mean they do a print run accordingly!

Oh. That's not what Amazon actually says on its page is it?

However, though I do use Amazon for some things (guilty confession) I think I'll order via my excellent local bookshop. Amazon is convenient but there isn't  huge reduction from RRP.

That's a very enticing review from Jann Parry. 

Here is the man himself  (via ICA Classics clips so it's official)

Amazon is currently saying it will arrive sometime between 27 December and 7 April! 

It lists the publication date as yesterday, so I hope I may be able to pick up a copy in the ROH shop tomorrow.

Edited by RHowarth
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

Amazon is currently saying it will arrive sometime between 27 December and 7 April! 

It lists the publication date as yesterday, so I hope I may be able to pick up a copy in the ROH shop tomorrow.

The ROH Shop is not currently listing this title online and I think it usually does so for pre-orders ahead of a publication date.

I've just asked 'someone in the know' and, apparently, Waterstones has been experiencing a series of problems with its ordering system - hopefully now resolved.

[Incidentally @Ondine, the print-on-demand service in relation to self-published books is usually remarkably quick.]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

Oh. That's not what Amazon actually says on its page is it?

No, it doesn't say it now! It's changed since yesterday. I received a confirmation email with the 5th Oct estimated delivery date. Just have to see what happens!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AnticaFiamma said:

I definitely saw it at ROH bookshop in mid September 

I looked on Saturday and it wasn't there - I wonder if the initial print run was small and demand has exceeded supply.

Edited by RHowarth

As a bookseller I ordered this from our main supplier who are saying Temporarily Out of Stock and have given me a delivery date of 23 October. This could change though, forwards or backwards, as I have found with orders placed for other books. It gives the publication date as 21 Sept. This is where the Dance Books shop is sorely missed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, capybara said:

The latest piece in Gramilano reads like a pre-publication blurb originating from the publisher. It is surely intended for information rather than to be regarded as a review.

I would certainly hope so.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jane S said:

I ordered the book from my local bookshop ( small country town) on publication day and they told me it should arrive by the end of this week - and they were right: I picked it up this morning.

And that's obviously the best way to do it!

• Like 2

A new book of major importance, a biography by Sarah Woodcock of the Royal Ballet's Michael Somes, a major figure in the company's development. It has already received rave reviews from Jann Parry (formerly The Observer's dance critic) and Mike Dixon in Dance Europe, who wrote 'Sarah Woodcock has done the world of dance a great service ... she has revealed Michael Somes to be the unacknowledged hero of The Royal Ballet ... it is a riveting read and an absolute must by.'

It's a 360 page hardback book with 40 illustrations costing £25. Available from any good bookshop or Amazon or ebay.

David Leonard,

Dance Books

Somes draft cover 6 outline.jpg

• Thanks 1