Falling at the first hurdle!

Friends

Toi toi toi to all who have got through to the finals at Central, I hope today goes well for you....I remember my Central audition 31 years ago... I tripped over the base of a portable metal barre as I walked in, stubbed my toe horrendously, did my best not to hobble. I guess adrenaline kicked in, as I managed to get through class and pointe work, and my first ever contemporary class. Remember it like it was yesterday.

You are onthe most incredible and multifaceted journey imaginable, enjoy making memories.

• Like 3

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back home after a very slow train journey due to signalling failure.

Dd did her best and I had a very enjoyable couple of hours with fellow parents.

This has inspired me to compile a book on The Experiences of Parents within the  Dance World.

If anyone has any advice, anecdotes, tips, the luxury of hindsight etc, then please PM me with any contributions.

• Like 3

Gosh Discouraged I could give you enough to fill a book on my own .... Glad you had an enjoyable day just heard from a friend it will take 3 weeks for you to get your letters what a long time to wai

Thanks for the good luck messages hopefully all our DC's will get something they want ..

• Like 4

Hope things went well and the snow didn't prevent anyone getting to where they needed to go.

After an horrendous couple of days in Chester battling power cuts rescheduled shows and treacherous travelling conditions my poor dh then drove a minibus of my students up to Birmingham yesterday.

Dd made her RAD associate class and the rest of us made a big performance of Cats.

Now for a couple of weeks off.

• Like 1

Well yes precisely. Perhaps they should cash the cheques anyway but provide some advise to stop people incurring more costs - financial and emotional!

I wonder, has anyone used the freedom of information act to force disclosure of what was actually recorded at these auditions?

In my limited experience I think all applicants seem to get a first audition. I have only heard of one person not getting a first audition but they were known to the school.

I think if there was any act which would allow access to information recorded about the applicant it would be the Data Protection Act. However, not sure about the possibility in reality as parent would be requesting on behalf of their child who is the subject of the information. Also, I wonder if the school store the data - perhaps once letters go out the data is destroyed.

Rambert didnt used to give everyone an audition. When my dd applied it said that the application was the first stage and not everyone would be invited to attend an audition. I heard of some who didn't get offered an audition. Not sure if this is still the case though.

If you are being invited to apply for something and asked to pay for it then it would seem reasonable to know that the criteria for assessment was predefined and that there was some objective way of measuring you against it. It would be interesting to see if there was consistency in how you were measured at each audition and between schools. If you had this information fed back to you then you would at least know the why. Does anyone know the statistics of local dance school entires getting in to finals as opposed to the full time vocational schools? Should these statistics be published by the top schools? If they are asking for your money, then is it not reasonable for them to do this? Oh so many questions come to mind. Is there any form of regulatory body? Should there be one?

• Like 1

A similar,but slightly different set of circumstances used to apply to model agencies in the 1980`and `90`s.I`m not sure if things have changed but this is the way it used to be.Basically,the vast majority of model agencies exist because of the modelling and grooming courses the agency offers. Usually costing around £200,usually lasting anywhere between 4 days and 2 weeks. It is for people who have been selected with the most potential to find work as a professional model.After you complete the course you get to join the agency.No guarantee of work,of course. I joined a very reputable agency after completing their course and was given no modelling work whatsoever,only Promotions work. Don`t know if the same applies to people auditioning for vocational schools,but i can imagine charging people to attend your audition to be a highly lucrative source of income.

and then if you add in the pre-vocational course, pre-audition days & audition preparation days you have even more income

And the children still have no idea if they would be good enough to get through the audition despite 'feedback'

• Like 1

I think charging a small fee for administration is fair.  A few years ago there was a surge in applications as students who had taken Dance GCSE (but had little other training) applied for places such as Rambert, who were consequently overwhelmed by the numbers.  One year Rambert tried to introduce submitting a DVD of the dancer as part of the application, but there was such an outcry they dropped it.  I think students need to be realistic, the standard of entry for any of the major schools is very high.  The best way to judge whether you are of the right standard to even stand a chance, is to go to Associate classes and/or Easter and summer schools where you will see who you are up against.

• Like 3

I'm so sorry for her and anyone else who got a no, but I'm sure she will bounce back as she matures. Like has been said before Balletgirlsplease, it's not a sprint it's a marathon and the main thing is for her to keep enjoying dancing or whatever else she may do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...