Falling at the first hurdle!

Friends

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very! I find I'm much harder on dd than other people are - not outwardly, but in my mind. I can see when she's dancing beautifully but I can see any mistakes and I'm under no illusions about how much she still has to learn and how much competition there is. All I can do is support her in her dream and take it one stage at a time. We shall see.

No different to what a lot of us  feel then span. ;) 

• Like 1

Yes I think it used to be something like you say, where they just decided who got to upper school internally, but I think they changed it a couple of years ago. I suppose it doesn't say a lot if their own students who may have been there for 5 years, aren't good enough to even get through to the final?

• Like 2

I obviously don't know if it's the same now, but as far as I am aware the lower school students from both Elmhurst and WL have to audition at the final audition for their respective schools.  I think it's entirely reasonable for them to not have to go to the first audition - and in fact, their appraisal/assessment classes act as that anyway - and they don't all necessarily take part in the final audition, if they have already decided not to carry on with classical training for instance.  At WL they used to offer some places straight into upper school after the year 11 appraisals but not now.  The schools also seem to like to see their students at finals (even if they already know they'll want to give them a place) as it gives a bench mark to "compare" the other finalists with.

• Like 1

So even the "weaker" students at these schools go through to finals thereby depriving better external candidates of places at finals? If the assessments "weeded out" those students so that only the stronger ones went through to finals that would be a different matter.

I don't think the Elmhurst students even compete at the final for places, I think they are just told internally whether they have a 6th form place without any assessment with external people.

The year 11 Elmhurst students will need to pass their appraisal before being considered for a sixth form place alongside the outside candidates. Appraisals were last week in front of the artistic team plus a number of external assessors. They will be informed of the appraisal result over half term.

• 2 weeks later...