Falling at the first hurdle!

Friends

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

I am very sorry to hear of your heartache, but, please remember, there are a lot of other children in the same position!!

It seems people are slating Elmhurst and saying they make some odd decisions at auditions!!

Well lots of people could same the same about RBS, ENB and Central!!

We know lots of fantastic dancers that have not got in any of The Upper Schools for 6.1 and did not give up to succeed in 6.2!!

There is no school more odd than the RBS when it comes to audition results!!

We know someone who got in and with in two weeks of being in the RBS was told they had made a big mistake at taking this person in, as they were picked on physique and not talent, which The RBS do a lot of!!

Elmhurst is a  good school and I am sure like with any school the teachers know what they are looking for!!!

Just for the record!! YES the Year 11 Students at Elmhurst who pass the Appraisal do have to audition at Finals for a place at Upper School with the external students!

So NO their place is not given to them on a plate, they to have to fight for their place, which they have also worked hard for in their training!!!!

• Like 4

How about Optimistic, Hopeful, Upbeat, Sunny, Idealistic, Merry?

I hope I don't sound too hard Discouraged, but you really need to learn to accept that there well might be many knock backs on your dd's journey in dance, It's how you react that is important. It's of no use to anyone, least of all yourself to simply blame the system, the judges, a particular school etc etc. Lets hope it makes her stronger, and realise that it's a tough tough climb and gets harder with less opportunities the further up the pyramid you go.

• Like 2

I imagine what is meant is that they took someone on physique and potential from audition rather than talent. Someone may well be talented but not have the potential to progress in that school or program. I think that was what was meant. Did the person have to leave if a mistake was made?

Edited by eloise_please

After 2 weeks.

My ds and 3 other JA's did a lec dem at WL yesterday and the staff there remembered them from before Christmas couldn't believe how they had matured. Surely they should have given that child a bit longer than 2 weeks before saying they made a mistake. Got through auditions?

I hope I don't sound too hard Discouraged, but you really need to learn to accept that there well might be many knock backs on your dd's journey in dance, It's how you react that is important. It's of no use to anyone, least of all yourself to simply blame the system, the judges, a particular school etc etc. Lets hope it makes her stronger, and realise that it's a tough tough climb and gets harder with less opportunities the further up the pyramid you go.

The words I suggested are synonyms of Encouraged 

• Like 2

I think it is natural for any parent to feel upset for their children when they get knocks-and people react in lots of ways be in sad, angry, frustrated ...we've all been there. How lovely when you do get some good news-so well done dd of discouraged and keep your chin up. There may be disappointments long the way, but every so often good things are waiting round the corner.

swe x

• Like 4

This was for an older girl this happened year 10 when she joined WL, so as they do not assess out in yr 11 she got to stay due to exams..

Never progressed to Upper School though!!!

I do not know how this happened you will have to ask WL as it destroyed this poor girl!

The  parents of the girl were told with in 2 weeks they had made a mistake at audition when they gave her a place, and, it was very upsetting for all involved!!!

To many people put to much emphasis on RBS.! Many fab dancers have gone on to have great careers without stepping foot inside RBS!

I do believe if one has the talent and a great teacher where ever one trains it will be brought out as talent always shines through!

Rejection from time to time helps one to become stronger in this mad dance world , which can be so cruel, as above!!

• Like 1

It's tough at the top I'm afraid, and lets be honest, experiences like that unfortunately do happen from time to time at all dance schools. It's impossible for them or anyone else to get it right every time, and it seems some people have an axe to grind with RBS., probably due to some disappointment they have had previously, like maybe not getting through an audition or something. ^_^

No axe to grind at all!!! ;)  My DD is at the school !!!

Just totally disgusted with how this girl was treated!! I wonder how we would feel if it was our child?

I sometimes wonder about this ballet world!!!!

Some people do presume things!!!!

• Like 4

No axe to grind! Just thought it was pointless and demoralising. A school like RBS with decades of auditioning experience should not be making those sort of mistakes. To watch a child's progress for a few months and then decide she is not quite what they initially thought, and assessing her out is one thing. But after two weeks? And why tell her?

• Like 3

I get the impression from some people I could be wrong, that if you are at the top, then whatever happens at the school then that is what to expect. Well NO it is not acceptable. We are talking about young, developing teenagers here, not show horses. These  young people have emotions and as adults we are here to guide and mould them with support into young confident adults. Now if the Royal had made a mistake, fine, but there are lots of different ways to tell this student, even to let the student realise her self after a couple of months. These dancers by this age are far from stupid and they are always comparing themselves to each other, they can tell if the teacher is considering them as good enough. Assesments may have been a good way to go around certain matters. If what I have read is correct, then they were going to keep this student for a year anyway, to complete here GCSE's, therefor plenty of time to tell her and support her through her disapointment. 

If however this was a company and by then the student is much older and PREPARED emotionaly as an adult, and it was not working out, then yes I am sure that the company director has a responsibility to tell that person that unfortunately they are not quite right for what the company needs. Just like in the real world, If I employed someone short term and it wasn't working out, then yes they would have to go.

Sorry to go off topic everyone, but I have been reading this thread and felt a need to respond.

• Like 9

Here Here Tulip,  :D  I totally AGREE with YOU, at last someone who understands what I have been trying to say!!

Also just because one is at a vocational school does not mean they are at the top!

They go into the school, starting at the bottom to work their way up to the top, hopefully, with love and support..

If one starts at the top there is only one way to go and there is always someone there to take ones place!!!

• Like 4

Guest Autumn days

Obviously I do not know the facts but, if the student started in yr 10 and the school realised after only two weeks that they have made a mistake then perhaps it was the kindest thing to tell her. Many children change school for a variety of reasons and after such a short time she would have presumably have been able to leave and fit in at a new school without much disruption to her academic studies and her integrity intact. It would still be very sad and perhaps the school should know better but I am sure that if that had happened to us we would have left straight away and found another school!

Thank u 'mum in a spin' as that was my understanding of the situation. They offered the child the chance to resume academic studies or transfer but they chose to remain for the 2 yrs and was allowed to do so. They were warned that Upper school would be out of reach. It is easy to pass judgement on situations like this, but it is only those involved who know the exact facts of the situation and how it was dealt with and even the parties concerned may tell the situation differently. Auditions are a very small snapshot so there are bound to be mistakes made on rare occasions. Some might applaud RBS for admitting their mistakes rather than hiding them. I am also conscious that since this is a rare occurrence the person involved could be reading our posts having now moved on and put it behind them. To my knowledge they completed the two years and gained a 6th form place at an alternative school so it was hopefully a happy ending!

• Like 7

I personally do not feel we should be discussing any children or young people who are not our own as often we do not have the full facts about that situation. I certainly would not be happy to come onto the forum to read members discussing my dd unless it was to respond to something I raised.

• Like 6

I agree. No more talk about this particular situation please - we should not be discussing a particular person's situation when they can be identified without them instigating it.

Let's all move on

• Like 4

Tulip and A Proud Mum, when I said "it's tough at the top" it's what you call a figure of speech. When the children are auditioning for WL or similar schools, they are near the top of their tree at that particular moment in time, if they are successful in their auditions then of course they start at the bottom again.

• 3 weeks later...

D-Day has finally arrived.

It's 6.30am and it's started snowing so hopefully not too much to prevent us from travelling.

My nerves have kicked in, so I can't imagine how my dd is feeling.

There is going to be a lot of nervous tension at Central today as so many girls are counting on this audition.

Go for it girls show them what you can do and ENJOY.

Good luck everyone!

Edited by Discouraged
  • Like 11