This casting is in the public domain but not yet on the website.

MANON - in the order Manon, Des Grieux, Lescaut’s Mistress, Lescaut, Monsieur G.M.  

Francesca Hayward, Marcelino Sambe*, Mayara Magri, Alexander Campbell, Gary Avis Wednesday 17 January 7.30pm Saturday 17 February 1pm

Lauren Cuthbertson, Matthew Ball, Itziar Mendizabal, Ryoichi Hirano, Bennet Gartside Friday 19 January 7.30pm Wednesday 14 February 7.30pm  

Yasmine Naghdi*, William Bracewell*, Anna Rose O’Sullivan*, Luca Acri, Thomas Whitehead Saturday 20 January 7.30pm Saturday 3 February 7pm  

Natalia Osipova, Reece Clarke, Mayara Magri, Alexander Campbell, Gary Avis Saturday 3 February 1pm (AV1) 7 February 7.30pm (Live Cinema Relay)  

Marianela Nuñez, Roberto Bolle†, Itziar Mendizabal, Ryoichi Hirano, Christopher Saunders   9 February 7.30pm 17 February 7pm  

Fumi Kaneko*, Vadim Muntagirov, Leticia Dias*, Joseph Sissens*, Bennet Gartside Friday 23 February 7.30pm Tuesday 27 February 7.30pm  

Sarah Lamb, Steven McRae, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, James Hay, Christopher Saunders  Monday 26 February 7.30pm  Saturday 2 March 1pm  

Akane Takada, Alexander Campbell, Yuhui Choe, Valentino Zucchetti, Thomas Whitehead Saturday 2 March 7pm  Friday 8 March 7.30pm

Melissa Hamilton, Calvin Richardson*, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, James Hay, Christopher Saunders  Tuesday 5 March 7.30pm

FESTIVAL OF NEW CHOREOGRAPHY  

Thursday 15 February 7pm  Friday 16 February 7.30pm Tuesday 20 February 7.30pm  Wednesday 21 February 7.30pm  The Company NEW WORKS BY: GEMMA BOND, JESSICA LANG,  JOSHUA JUNKER, JOSEPH TOONGA, MTHUTHUZELI NOVEMBER  

*role debut † guest artist     

• Like 5
  • Thanks 16

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Some very welcome debuts there!

Agreed, including for Lescaut and Mistress -  and some very welcome pairings too. I notice that neither Magri nor O'Sullivan, the last two female Principals to be promoted to that rank, are yet cast as Manon but Yasmine Naghdi also danced Mistress first and will debut in the title role nearly 8 years after being made a Principal. It's also great that Melissa Hamilton will reprise the role at what looks to be a public performance (i.e. not hidden away as in 2019) and that Calvin Richardson is being given the opportunity to be Des Grieux.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 8

Some interesting casting!  Although I would have LOVED to see Fumi dance this with William B, I am very glad that we will finally see her dance with Vadim here in London.  Also, from what I have seen/heard from this summer's guestings, I think the Yasmine/William cast will work very well.  Along with Anna-Rose as the Mistress, that is a triple debut cast for the main roles!!  Very happy to see Leticia Dias cast as the Mistress; I think it will suit her well. 

Interesting that they have had to parachute Roberto Bolle in to dance with Marianela.  I guess all the other potential partners (Vadim, Will, Reece, Matthew) are already taken!

Everyone gets two shows except the Melissa cast, who only gets one.  A real shame; last time Melissa was given the non-public show, and this time she only gets one public show.  An excellent MacMillan dancer, it's a pity that we only have one chance to see her.  She is the only First Soloist dancing the role, so I guess priority casting comes into play...and her partner is also a First Soloist.  I'm very glad they are being given one show, considering there are two female principals not cast at all in the lead role.

• Like 12

Guest oncnp
10 minutes ago, OnePigeon said:

Interesting that Roberto Bolle is only dancing the one performance.  Has anyone seen him in Manon before?

The pairings haven’t quite fallen how I would wish, but interesting to see they’ve shaken things up a bit.

Two performances - 9 & 17 Feb

And Campbell dancing both Lescaut and Des Grieux

Just now, OnePigeon said:

Interesting that Roberto Bolle is only dancing the one performance.  Has anyone seen him in Manon before?

The pairings haven’t quite fallen how I would wish, but interesting to see they’ve shaken things up a bit.

He's dancing two performances!  Marianela Nuñez, Roberto Bolle†, Itziar Mendizabal, Ryoichi Hirano, Christopher Saunders   9 February 7.30pm 17 February 7pm 

I have seen him dance the role several times over the years, and he was always good.  I can't say what he would be like now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest oncnp
1 minute ago, oncnp said:

Two performances - 9 & 17 Feb

1 minute ago, OnePigeon said:

Thanks, clearly I need new glasses.

No. The dates are difficult to pick out

2 minutes ago, Sim said:

I have seen him dance the role several times over the years, and he was always good.  I can't say what he would be like now.

He danced it at ROH, also with Nunez, in October 2019. I went because I thought that might be my last opportunity to see him in a full length ballet but I can't say I was bowled over.

• Like 3

Just now, Lizbie1 said:

He danced it at ROH, also with Nunez, in October 2019. I went because I thought that might be my last opportunity to see him in a full length ballet but I can't say I was bowled over.

Yep, I skipped that one....

1 minute ago, oncnp said:

No. The dates are difficult to pick out

I agree but I thought the priority was to put up the list rather than spend ages setting it out better as I had tried to do with The Nutcracker additions a few days ago.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Just now, capybara said:

I agree but I thought the priority was to put up the list rather than spend ages setting it out better as I had tried to do with The Nutcracker additions a few days ago.

Right decision! Thank you capybara.

• Like 7

Guest oncnp
2 minutes ago, capybara said:

Absolutely no criticism intended. The ROH inability to format is legend.  Thank you for posting!

Edited by oncnp

Thanks again, Capybara. 

I'm a little bit disappointed that there is not the Kaneko/Bracewell pairing I had hoped for (I think they would have been really lovely together), but I am excited to see Naghdi/Bracewell and Kaneko/Muntagirov. So, this could be a good thing. :) 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Yes, that’s what I was thinking.  I’d love to see him, but he’s nearing 50 now isn’t he?  Maybe I’ll stick with my original choice of William Bracewell.  

1 minute ago, OnePigeon said:

Yes, that’s what I was thinking.  I’d love to see him, but he’s nearing 50 now isn’t he?  Maybe I’ll stick with my original choice of William Bracewell.  

That's just what I'll be doing.

• Like 2

The last time I saw Roberto Bolle on the ROH stage he was cast as Armand and was clearly finding some of the choreography tricky.

Since then, I have seen him in a couple of his galas where he has been primarily the partner and has danced only modern solos himself.

He is a brave man to take on Des Grieux, especially given that fiendishly difficult and exposed solo near the beginning of the ballet.

But I shall be relying on reports from others as to how he fares in 2024.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, capybara said:

The last time I saw Roberto Bolle on the ROH stage he was cast as Armand and was clearly finding some of the choreography tricky.

Since then, I have seen him in a couple of his galas where he has been primarily the partner and has danced only modern solos himself.

He is a brave man to take on Des Grieux, especially given that fiendishly difficult and exposed solo near the beginning of the ballet.

But I shall be relying on reports from others as to how he fares in 2024.

Ditto. With me wanting to attend several performances, I will read the reports from others with interest.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this.  Not sure how I feel about the Bolle/Nunez pairing - I think there's a filmed version of them I've seen.  I quite wanted to see Muntagirov with Lamb (I think Manon is one of her great roles) one last time but nice to see the Kaneko partnership I guess.

• Like 2

Reformatted

Francesca Hayward, Marcelino Sambe*, Mayara Magri, Alexander Campbell, Gary Avis

Wednesday 17 January 7.30pm

Saturday 17 February 1pm

Lauren Cuthbertson, Matthew Ball, Itziar Mendizabal, Ryoichi Hirano, Bennet Gartside

Friday 19 January 7.30pm

Wednesday 14 February 7.30pm  

Yasmine Naghdi*, William Bracewell*, Anna Rose O’Sullivan*, Luca Acri, Thomas Whitehead

Saturday 20 January 7.30pm

Saturday 3 February 7pm  

Natalia Osipova, Reece Clarke, Mayara Magri, Alexander Campbell, Gary Avis

Saturday 3 February 1pm (AV1)

7 February 7.30pm (Live Cinema Relay)  

Marianela Nuñez, Roberto Bolle†, Itziar Mendizabal, Ryoichi Hirano, Christopher Saunders  

9 February 7.30pm

17 February 7pm  

Fumi Kaneko*, Vadim Muntagirov, Leticia Dias*, Joseph Sissens*, Bennet Gartside

Friday 23 February 7.30pm

Tuesday 27 February 7.30pm  

Sarah Lamb, Steven McRae, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, James Hay, Christopher Saunders  

Monday 26 February 7.30pm  

Saturday 2 March 1pm  

Akane Takada, Alexander Campbell, Yuhui Choe, Valentino Zucchetti, Thomas Whitehead

Saturday 2 March 7pm  

Friday 8 March 7.30pm

Melissa Hamilton, Calvin Richardson*, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, James Hay, Christopher Saunders  

Tuesday 5 March 7.30pm

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

I’m very excited that Kaneko and Muntagirov are partnered together. Kevin, O’Hare saw them perform together in R&J in Osaka last month and certainly looked very pleased in the backstage photos there. I’ve only ever seen Muntagirov’s des Grieux on DVD and I thought he and Sarah Lamb were both wonderful. Nevertheless , it’ll be great to see him dance this time with someone younger than him and Kaneko certainly couldn’t wish for a better partner for her debut in this role.

Edited by Nina99
  • Like 10

51 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

personal opinion but I agree. In fact I’d forgotten I’d even seen him live until this thread reminded me! (And I follow him on Instagram so many opportunities to have been reminded!) 

I really wish Hayward had been paired with Corrales but I suppose his injury put paid to that. Who was her DG last time? I’m not sure about her and Sambe as a chemistry combo - perhaps others (those who saw Like Water for Chocolate) might give their opinions? 

Hayward is meant to be an excellent Manon and I missed her last time but I’m not sure about her and Sambe - if it was with Campbell or Bracewell (or Corrales of course) I know it would be great. 

Edited by JNC

I thought Osipova was terrific in this back in 2019 and am very pleased she has the broadcast, especially with Alexander Campbell (who was such a moving Des Grieux opposite Hayward) as Lescaut. Sorry that Corrales is still out. His foxily sinister Lescuat was terrific opposite Magri in that wonderful Hayward, Campbell cast last time. Naghdi and Kaneko have certainly struck gold in their partners for their debuts, as (I anticipate) have those who will be lucky enough to see them. Kaneko / Muntagirov for me and I can imagine Dias and Sissens being a sizzling partnership in their respective roles too.

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 12

5 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Kaneko / Mukhamedov for me and I can imagine Dias and Sissens being a sizzling partnership in these roles too.

I have concerns about Bolle being a bit too old, but Mukhamedov is really pushing it! 😆.  How I wish Mukhamedov was able to dance the role again though.

Edited by OnePigeon
Spelling
  • Like 9