Altair media nominated for marketing industry award for work with ROH

https://www.thedrummarketingawards.com/EMEA/en/page/results

I thought this may be of interest - especially for the many marketeers on the forum! Choose the culture drop down and scroll to get to the entry which includes a video. The blurb is as below.

Interested to know if anyone engaged with these events!

For years the Royal Opera House has delivered world class opera and ballet to core audiences in London. In late 2022 and early 2023 we created an opportunity with our strategy to develop new audiences and deployed an incredibly exciting campaign to achieve this. Our goal was to break long-standing perceptions of opera and ballet. To do this we needed to change perceptions as well as reach outside of London, bringing the artforms to new audiences across the nation. Establishing an emotional connection was key and we needed to drive a strong dwell time to achieve this, whilst also building the Royal Opera House’s story through frequency. Our research informed us that cut through would be more prominent if more than three senses are activated meaning we needed a campaign that triggered sight, sound, feel, taste and even smell! Therefore, we implemented a multi-sensory, diverse channel campaign. Overall, the Royal Opera House ended 2022 and began 2023 in a position more commercially favourable than the overall arts and culture market. Audiences attending our experiential out of home execution would have filled the Royal Opera House 6.11 times over and we raised the heart rates of our viewing audiences by 41%. Our radio partnerships drove incredible added value and brought audiences even closer to the Royal Opera House with interaction and competitions. AV activity has given an even more national reach and allowed us to immerse audiences into the world of the Royal Opera House.

15 minutes ago, Blossom said:

https://www.thedrummarketingawards.com/EMEA/en/page/results

I thought this may be of interest - especially for the many marketeers on the forum! Choose the culture drop down and scroll to get to the entry which includes a video. The blurb is as below.

Interested to know if anyone engaged with these events!

For years the Royal Opera House has delivered world class opera and ballet to core audiences in London. In late 2022 and early 2023 we created an opportunity with our strategy to develop new audiences and deployed an incredibly exciting campaign to achieve this. Our goal was to break long-standing perceptions of opera and ballet. To do this we needed to change perceptions as well as reach outside of London, bringing the artforms to new audiences across the nation. Establishing an emotional connection was key and we needed to drive a strong dwell time to achieve this, whilst also building the Royal Opera House’s story through frequency. Our research informed us that cut through would be more prominent if more than three senses are activated meaning we needed a campaign that triggered sight, sound, feel, taste and even smell! Therefore, we implemented a multi-sensory, diverse channel campaign. Overall, the Royal Opera House ended 2022 and began 2023 in a position more commercially favourable than the overall arts and culture market. Audiences attending our experiential out of home execution would have filled the Royal Opera House 6.11 times over and we raised the heart rates of our viewing audiences by 41%. Our radio partnerships drove incredible added value and brought audiences even closer to the Royal Opera House with interaction and competitions. AV activity has given an even more national reach and allowed us to immerse audiences into the world of the Royal Opera House.

Where’s the evidence of any positive returns of benefit to the ROH and opera/ballet?

Without that this comes across as no more than meaningless marketing speak. “Drive a strong dwell time”; “raised the heart rates of our viewing audiences”. What a load of xxxx!

• Like 10

1. My thoughts exactly - no tangible metrics to define whether this was a success - even in terms of people's feedback. If they measured heart rates, surely they asked people for their opinions

2. @alison or any other moderators - i have obviously posted something above which shouldn't be there and contains someone's personal information. PLease can you help me delete or at least delete the thread?

27 minutes ago, capybara said:

Where’s the evidence of any positive returns of benefit to the ROH and opera/ballet?

Without that this comes across as no more than meaningless marketing speak. “Drive a strong dwell time”; “raised the heart rates of our viewing audiences”. What a load of xxxx!

You took the words out of my moth, Capybara. 

This bit particularly amused me:
Our research informed us that cut through would be more prominent if more than three senses are activated meaning we needed a campaign that triggered sight, sound, feel, taste and even smell!Therefore, we implemented a multi-sensory, diverse channel campaign.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, alison said:

I was totally unaware of any such marketing campaign.  Be interested to know how they delivered feel, taste and smell to households.

Exactly, I have no clue. Unless they're talking about some sort of 4D cinema experience - but that's more commonly done with films than ballet/opera. I don't think having a big screen in Leicester Square is part of that?

Also assuming they're not referring to ROH Stream!

And surely the point of a marketing campaign is people are supposed to be aware of it!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Blossom said:

2. @alison or any other moderators - i have obviously posted something above which shouldn't be there and contains someone's personal information. PLease can you help me delete or at least delete the thread?

I deleted it from my quote so it will separate out quite easily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blossom said:

Audiences attending our experiential out of home execution would have filled the Royal Opera House 6.11 times over

does anyone understand what this means? Untitled 2023 is easier to make sense of than this verbage!

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, PeterS said:

does anyone understand what this means? 

No, I'm afraid I don't speak gobbledegook.

I actually don't understand any of the article...and I used to be in marketing!!  😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PeterS said:

does anyone understand what this means? Untitled 2023 is easier to make sense of than this verbage!

No, but a) it sounds dangerous, and b) presumably these people will not in fact fill the opera house any times over because the ticket prices would be too high. So they will just have to be content with being executed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PeterS said:

It’s a completely irrelevant statistic.

It means 13,784 people engaged for whatever their mystery dwell time was (which is relevant and strange they didn’t mention), but we don’t know what the outcome of those people engaging was. Did they attend a cinema screening or visit ROH? Was there an intrinsic change in perception of the ROH?

What is the relevance of the increased heart rate as a measure and why did they feel this way?

Which content did they share anyway? No clearer from the video…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, capybara said:

I think the word you're looking for is bolleaux

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mary said:

And what does 'drive a strong dwell time' mean?

you stay in the caff and eat lots of cake and drink lots of coffee or wine/champagne (and make it hard for ticket holders to find a place to sit before the performance or during the intervals)

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

you stay in the caff and eat lots of cake and drink lots of coffee or wine/champagne (and make it hard for ticket holders to find a place to sit before the performance or during the intervals)

So true……

……. having originally come in to use and mess up the toilets which are intended for people with particular needs. 

(And, yes, I do have a body of evidence to back up that statement.)

From the awards entry I see the ROH is the client and a couple of senior ROH marketing staff are ‘credited’ alongside three Altair Media staff and two Partners from Immerse Agency. As the client, I assume the ROH commissioned something (but goodness knows what and surely not the awards entry) and is paying for whatever services have been provided. I wonder what this is costing the ROH - both for the external consultants and any ROH staff time? What has been delivered and, as others have asked, with what benefits?

• Like 6

In theory it was a great idea to drive engagement with the ROH around the country. That bit I don’t have a problem with, but it just wasn’t a great award entry in terms of demonstrating tangible outcomes (which was one of the judging criteria).

After seeing BRB2 and then RBS this evening as part of the New Gen festival, I think much better would be these cheap to stage, short, chocolate box evenings which might draw in a new audience who get all sorts of different flavours of ballet repertoire for a steal. BRB2 is already touring. Is it time to give RBS more opportunity to perform and potentially fly the flag for RB further afield? Live performance matters and engages on a different level…

• Like 8

This made me laugh so much.  Completely irrelevant, useless and costly, which just about sums up much of what the ROH is currently doing.  Instead of focussing on the art forms that it houses, it bangs in about empty puff while encouraging as many people to come in and share the experience i.e. come and buy overpriced food and booze so they can try to cover what we’re losing on over-priced seats which people are not buying and which they later have to offer highly discounted…

• Like 5