News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, Alison, should have added the "Eleonore"!! We're still waiting for a ballet called "Düse" :D (which would be "nozzle" in English, I suppose).

But "Duse" is the name of the ballet, the referral to Eleonora Duse (please read the final "e", it's Italian, not French :-) ) is in your link.

Two new works but a quite repetitive season :-(

Nutcracker might not be common in Germany companies, but I think this is the third season in a row in Hamburg.

Edited by annamicro

Interesting about the Millepied Nutcracker from 2005.  At the Paris Opera he is replacing the current Nureyev Nutcracker with a new one with contributions by several different choreographers including Will Scarlett.  (I think this news has been posted previously, so please forgive the repetition)

Berlin has a comparatively new Nutcracker as well - a reconstruction of the original by Yuri Burlaka - which will be released on DVD before Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

Lisa-Maree Cullum, Principal Dancer with Bavarian State Ballet since 1999, will retire after this season. In her last performance on June 7 she’ll be the Hostess in Les Biches by Nijinska. Born in New Zealand, Cullum startet to dance with ENB, moved to Deutsche Oper Berlin in 1990 and then to Munich in 1998.

Did I say Will Scarlett?  I meant Liam Scarlett of course.  And Burlaka had a collaborator on Nutcracker  in the shape of Medvedev.

Now, there's a point.  Has nobody done a ballet on Robin Hood yet?  Is someone missing a trick? :)

• Like 3

Stephan Thoss was appointed new AD at Mannheim Ballet, where Kevin O'Day is leaving after season 2015/16. Thoss is the former ballet director of Kiel, Hannover and Wiesbaden, his work is neoclassical with a (nowadays rather rare) influence from German Ausdruckstanz.

Next season at Ballet on the Rhine in Düsseldorf/Duisburg, Martin Schläpfer's company - with works by Bournonville, Kurt Jooss, Ashton, Tudor, Balanchine, Forsythe, van Manen, Paul Taylor, Hubert Essakow, Nils Christe, Terence Kohler and of course Schläpfer. 

• 3 weeks later...

At Dresden, principal dancer Raphael Coumes-Marquet will retire after this season to become a ballet master with the company. His last performances are "Impressing the Czar" on 5. Juli and King Marke in David Dawson's "Tristan and Yseult" on 6. Juli.

It seems like another Dresden principal, Jiri Bubenicek, will retire after next season.

Berlin State Ballet has just cancelled another performance:

// Due to a strike by the dancers, today’s performance of "Sleeping Beauty" at 7.30pm at Deutsche Oper Berlin will be canceled. The Staatsballett Berlin regrets the cancelation of the performance. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the cancellation.
All tickets will be reimbursed.

This is several times this has happened, isn't that so, Angela? Does anyone know what the issue is and whether there's any likelihood of it being solved?

They are not fighting for higher wages, but for the right to be represented by another union than the one that normally represents members of theatres in Germany - most Berlin dancers now are members of Ver.di, the United Services Union, a very big organisation in Germany. The dancers demand a special contract tailor-made for them, including a regulation for breaks during work, because they dance at three different theatres in Berlin. The company manager Georg Vierthaler refuses to talk to Ver.di, I guess that's the crucial point.

It's very hard to understand why they go on strike so often, because compared to other companies, they already have rather high wages and their working conditions are not so bad, as far as I can judge. Ver.di is trying to gain more influence also in other fields, so now they started with the theatres, maybe that's a reason. I'm no expert for labour union policy, I frankly don't understand what it's all about. But I understand that Berlin State Ballet keeps losing dancers and audiences since Nacho Duato arrived, not to mention the bad reviews they had in the last year - so maybe it's not the best time to go on strike. There are no rumours so far that other German ballet companies might start so strike too. No idea when and how it will end - sorry, Katherine!

Company news from Stuttgart: British principal dancer Alexander Jones is leaving for Zurich Ballet, soloist Rachele Buriassi will dance with Boston Ballet from next season, soloist Arman Zazyan goes to Tulsa Ballet and soloist Nikolai Godunov stops dancing to become a teacher. Roman Novitzky will be promoted to principal. Among the ten new corps de ballet dancers is Adhonay Soares da Silva, last year's Prix de Lausanne winner.

For the 2015/16 season brochure, they staged the principal dancers as superheroes, check it out here

Four new corps dancers come from the John Cranko school: Alicia Garcia Torronteras, Noan Alves and Marti Fernandez Paixa, who have already danced one year as apprentices with the company, and Adhonay Soares da Silva who comes directly from the school. Four come from different schools/companies. Six of the new apprentices come from the Cranko school, one from the Hamburg Ballet School and one - Benjamin Thomas - from the RBS.

Oh no, they are open for everone - if you succeed in understanding the very complicated process of ordering tickets ;)  I think it's only possible by a letter that had to arrive at a certain day in May at the press office - and then it works by lottery, I am told. The process is described in detail here: http://www.hamburgballett.de/e/karten.htm- so try for next year! Great if you write from abroad and don't know how long the letter takes to arrive :angry:

I just checked in the written brochure - you're right, Katherine. This is crazy, 14 months in advance!? :lol: Incredible, Neumeier could sell bread and people would by it in Hamburg...

• Like 1

Hello Ballet Fans, I guess I should introduce myself here as a Ballet Fan living in Zürich. I found this forum while looking for international coverage of Zürich Ballet, and sadly for whatever reason, there is not too much information, so I will try to add to the forum regarding Swiss Ballet news. The 2014/15 season highlights were Patrice Bart creating a new Giselle for Zürich, and (as you are aware) Polina and Friedemann Vogel dancing here, but very surprisingly Roberto Bolle's amazing Albrecht (Giselle: Viktorina Kapitonova) debut in Zürich was not discussed.

Following his success at ABT reinventing Sleeping Beauty in partnership with La Scala, Ratmansky will be in Zürich next year creating a new Swan Lake also in partnership with La Scala. I hope that this will also be a huge success and is a great coup for Ballet Zürich. 

I look forward to getting to know the forum better and interesting discussions on ballet in general.

• Like 6

Hello SwissBalletFan, and a big warm welcome to the forum!  We would very much appreciate your future reports and reviews about Zurich Ballet and its productions.  It sounds like they have just had an excellent season, with another one to come.

We always appreciate hearing from people outside the UK/USA on companies that aren't as known or discussed in those countries (Angela does a great job for Germany and Austria, and we have a few Russian contributors too who keep us up to date with what is going on with their companies, and we get news from Paris sometimes, and Italy), so we will very much look forward to hearing from you.

• Like 1

Hi SwissBalletFan, do you have any idea if William Moore will return to the stage next season at Zürich Ballet??

Hi Angela, I have read the rules on this forum, so I will try to keep it as official as possible ;) officially of course he is still a principal and part of the company, and I know that he has had his second operation and plans to return to training now/next season.

So fingers crossed all goes well, and he will be on the stage again soon. He is a very nice guy and a Prince, it will be interesting how it goes with Alex Jones next year with the classical roles. Denis Vieira who has danced absolutely every male role this year in all performances has developed nicely, but is still young and not officially a principal yet.

Edited by SwissBalletFan