News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always a double-egded sword, bad for some artists and good for others.

At least in Germany, ADs can be open about their wishes. One has a feeling that, in the UK, all kinds of subterfuge and 'deals' come into play when new ADs want to shape a company their way and get rid of dancers who do not fit their 'mould' or are no longer able to perform at the required level.

I do not really know, of course, but the 'evidence' appears to be there.

It does, doesn't it?

Can you imagine someone taking over a factory, or a company or something, deciding they didn't like half the staff, getting rid of them and replacing them with new people?  In the UK, I think the redundancy laws would prevent it, for a start.

Yes, I get the impression that ADs in the UK try to freeze out those dancers whom they don't want any more through casting decisions. The 'German approach' is at least open and honest. It must be a shock to the system but perhaps it's better than having your self-esteem eroded over several months or years with the result that you don't have the confidence to apply for other positions.

• Like 1

My son was with Munich though he left last summer (voluntarily). As long as the company gives the full notice they can do what they like. Equally the dancers have to give notice before a certain time or be fined. That of course makes it pretty miserable as once notice is given, before Christmas, they are unlikely to be used much. All very dispiriting really. I guess that is the ballet world though. Except for the odd "stars" the director has all the power, often not wielded wisely or well. Sad news about Munich but I guess the new director wants his own soloists and above. It is certainly a tough world for them all.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The winners have been announced in the annual critics' survey of Germanys biggest dance magazine "tanz":

best dancers are Alina Cojocaru, mainly for her roles at Hamburg Ballet, and Vladislav Lantratov, for Maillot's Taming of the Shrew and for Onegin

best choreographer: Marco Goecke, resident choreographer at Stuttgart Ballet

best company: Ballet on the Rhine at Düsseldorf/Duisburg, Martin Schläpfer's company

best new work: "BiT" by Maguy Marin in Lyon

• Like 3

Good directors usually continue to use dancers who have resigned similarly to before resignation, for the rest of the season they are employed in. Which is only fair to them and to their audience.

Quite.  But sadly, it's not always the case :(  While I can understand that a director needs to look to the future, and that someone who has tendered their resignation is not going to be that future, I've also noted cases of dancers not being cast in their existing roles, or being cast lower in the pecking order than their previous performances merited, sometimes to the detriment of the company's performances, or the dancers who replaced them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea if anyone can receive the German/Swiss/Austrian channel 3sat outside of those three countries, but on Saturday 5th Sept they show a triple bill from Stuttgart Ballet with pieces by Marco Goecke, Demis Volpi and Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui.

http://www.3sat.de/page/?source=/musik/182840/index.html

It might be available afterswards online, but right now I can't find information about that.

• Like 1

Some of the former Forsythe dancers - Christopher Roman, Jone San Martin, Amancio Gonzalez - have found new jobs in a new company for senior dancers over 40 which was founded in Berlin: http://dance-on.net/(no English website available yet)

Different than the vast majority of German dance companies which are funded by towns and Länder like Bavaria or Saxonia, this one is subsidized by the German State, similar to the Bundesjugendballett/Federal Youth Ballett at Hamburg.

I have no idea if anyone can receive the German/Swiss/Austrian channel 3sat outside of those three countries, but on Saturday 5th Sept they show a triple bill from Stuttgart Ballet with pieces by Marco Goecke, Demis Volpi and Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui.

http://www.3sat.de/page/?source=/musik/182840/index.html

It might be available afterswards online, but right now I can't find information about that.

I managed to get it on our satellite TV but it was all v modern I switched off.  I wasn't surprised given the choreographers.

Talking of which, and getting a bit off-topic, how is NDT3 doing these days?  I don't seem to have heard much of them recently.

That may be due to the fact that the company was closed in 2006, Alison ;)

Their last production was a piece by Bob Wilson, "2 Lips and Dancers and Space", it was too expensive and they had to give up.

Sometimes they reunite for certain evenings, Jiri Kylian also has a brand new project called "Kylworks" with Sabine Kupferberg and other dancers + pieces from NDT III. Egon Madsen, their last artistic director who is still dancing at 73 years, also works on a new project at Stuttgart with older dancers, it's called "Greyhounds". 

Here we go, it's online for one week - I hope it's not geoblocked.

http://www.3sat.de/mediathek/?mode=play&obj=53277

The Cherkaoui piece, by the way, is danced on pointe and rather "balletic" compared to what he usually creates.

Interesting article. I agree as well. Munich is better. Ballett am Rhein have a great premiere of Symphonic Variations, other companies are stronger. Berlin should at least revive the Macmillan heritage of Concerto and Anastasia (one act). They should revive Sylvia. Even Manon. They could have set up a good relationship with RB. Ah well - it'll be a good post for someone...

Though I agree that ballet companies should treasure their heritage (and the classical repertoire of course), you should also allow them to find their own way with new ballets - neither Berlin State Ballet nor Munich are British ballet companies, since decades they have tried to find an own identity, to promote their own choreographers, create their own ballets. Manon for example is not so very popular in Germany, where the audiences like the Cranko ballets much more, also in Berlin and Munich.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Friedemann Vogel, Alicia Amatriain and Jason Reilly have officially been announced as Kammertänzer, the highest honour for a dancer in Germany...

From Stuttgart website:

56205_05448524545205052494E434950414C204
The Ministry of Science, Research and the Arts of the Federal State of Baden-Württemberg will honor our Principal Dancers Alicia Amatriain, Jason Reilly und Friedemann Vogel with the national title “Kammertänzer”, the highest honour that can be bestowed on a dancer in Germany. We are very happy and proud! Congratulations to all three!
  • Like 3

It's not an award but a title or distinction, alike to the old German and Austrian honorary title of Kammersänger for famous opera singers of outstanding merit. It is bestowed by the culture minister of Baden-Württemberg (or Bavaria or Berlin - there are/were Kammertänzers in those ballet companies too, f.e. Lucia Lacarra, Vladimir Malakhov, Gregor Seyffert). In Stuttgart, it was given to Birgit Keil, Richard Cragun, Egon Madsen, Tamas Detrich and Sue Jin Kang before, and now to Amatriain, Reilly, Vogel. It doesn't come with money or a medal, but it last a lifetime.

• Like 1

At Berlin State Ballet, the strike situation continues to be very confused after the summer holidays: the company issued a press release against "the aggressive striving for power" of the Union Ver.di, to which most dancers have defected from their usual union. The dancers boycott any attempt of negotiations initiated by the direction.

The new evening at Tanztheater Wuppertal, the first new creations after Pina Bausch's death, received very mixed reviews in Germany, most critics were disappointed with the three new works by Tim Etchells, Cecilia Bengolea/François Chaignaud and Theo Clinkard.

Stuttgart Ballet has three new soloists: Ami Morita, Pablo von Sternenfels and Robert Robinson were appointed at the start of the season.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! I don't know if can be interesting for this section, but on the "Der Spiegel" of this week, there is an article by Samiha Shafy about Sergei Polunin and Joy Womack; speaks briefly about their lives and choices and some aspects of the world of ballet.

I find it interesting! :)

• Like 1

Thanks.  I've found a more easily legible version at https://magazin.spiegel.de/digital/?utm_source=spon&utm_campaign=inhaltsverzeichnis#SP/2015/44/139456110, too.

Edit: Ah, it's only a teaser.  Might have to do a trial subscription to read it properly.  I don't remember having this problem before.

I really should read Spiegel a bit more often, I suppose.