News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

Next season at Stuttgart Ballet:

- a Stravinsky evening with creations by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui (Firebird) and Demis Volpi (L’histoire du soldat), also Le Chant du rossignol by Marco Goecke, made for Leipzig ballet in 2009

- a Cranko evening with Concerto for Flute and Harp, Holberg Pas de deux, Opus 1 and Initialen R.B.M.E

- a MacMillan evening with Requiem and Song of the Earth

Repertory: John Neumeier’s A Streetcar named Desire, Christian Spuck’s Leonce and Lena, Onegin, Sleeping Beauty, a Triple Bill “Dance Lab” with ballets by Louis Stiens, Katarzyna Kozielska and Douglas Lee - and a gala on new years eve

The company will be touring to Bangkok, Singapur, Muscat/Oman and Ludwigshafen/Germany.

Miriam Kacerova, David Moore (RBS alumnus) and Constantine Allen (after only two years with the company!) are promoted to Principal Dancers, Alessandra Tognoloni is promoted to soloist, Pablo von Sternenfels to Demi-Soloist. Among the nine new dancers is Adam Russell-Jones from the RBS, the other eight come from the John Cranko School.

Besides Maria Eichwald (studying choreology), Filip Barankiewicz (freelance) and Evan McKie (NBoC), also Canadian Demi-Soloist Brent Parolin is leaving the company, returning to Toronto.   

• Like 1

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this, Angela,I was wondering when Stuttgart's new season would be announced. Although I was hoping for Cranko's R&J, the Cranko evening looks very interesting. I have no idea of the ballets but the music is all works I know and love so I'm strongly tempted.

I'm always amused to see what cheery ballets the Stuttgart Ballet schedules for Christmas. This year: MacMillan's Song of the Earth  and Requiem. Meanwhile, it's radical for a North American company to schedule La Fille mal Gardee instead of Nutcracker!

• Like 1

Neumeier's Tatjana cast is still not on Hamburg Ballett web site, but it's printed on June programme available in the theatre:

Onegin: Edvin Revazov

Tatjana : Helene Bouchet

Olga: Leslie Heylmann

Lensky: Alexandr Trusch

Prince N.: Carsten Jung

it seems the same for all the performances...

The future of the Forsythe Company is secure, at least until 2018: all four parties who subsidize the company (Hesse, Saxony, Dresden and Frankfurt) agreed to continue their cooperation until 2018. William Forsythe himself will retire as director, his successor from September 2015 is Jacopo Godani. Forsythe will stay as Artistic Advisor. The company will continue to dance his works.

John Neumeier’s new "Tatiana" will be a co-production with Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko Theatre in Moscow, the premiere there is on Nov 7th.

Principal Dancer Rainer Krenstetter will leave Berlin State Ballet after this season and move to Miami City Ballet, also as Principal.

At Gelsenkirchen, Ballet Director Bridget Breiner has extended her contract until 2018.

Debuts at Stuttgart Ballet: Daniel Camargo and Elisa Badenes will dance Romeo and Julia for the first time on June 12th, with Marijn Rademaker as Mercutio. 

Maybe is not the subject  but as I think that there are many people from Germany...

I would like to share this clip I found in the net of a dancer on a roof in Hamburg really really cool !! :)  :wub:

Edited by Kira

Picking up on Angela's news that Bridger Breiner has had her contact as AD for Ballett im Revier in Gelsenkirchen extended, Cathy Marston had a full-length premiere there on Sunday  - Three Sisters, based on Chekhov of course, but with the action moved to a ballet studio, by the sounds of things.  There's a review in one of the local papers - in German, of course - that seems to be saying that it all went very well:

http://www.marler-zeitung.de/nachrichten/kultur/Tschechows-Drei-Schwestern-als-Ballett-am-MiR-Das-Unglueck-ungelebten-Lebens;art1258,1308380

This commission for Cathy follows another, Orpheus, as half of a Double Bill there last year, shortly after she finished in Bern. 

Angela:  Many thanks for those links, both essentially favourable I'd say, with one suggesting that it was a little long at 75 minutes?  But not too long for a full-length work, especially when contending with Chekhov, I'd suggest.  And thinking about the story being set in a ballet studio since this morning, I ended up recalling that Slava Samadurov's Romeo and Juliet for Royal Ballet of Flanders that I saw in Antwerp a couple of months back started with a dance company arriving at the Globe Theatre to rehearse a performance, and it all grew quite naturally from there.  Seems so simple - for a dance work, find a dance setting!

But I'm greatly cheered to see that Cathy can still turn in the goods for a continental audience and I live in hope that she'll be invited to put on another full-length piece for one of our larger companies over here.

• Like 1

The review (only one) says it felt too long for its length: "… an evening which despite all its refined dancing is sometimes tenaciously drawn-out in its only 75 minutes."

• 2 months later...

The extraordinary biography of Stravinsky’s “The Rite of Spring” is continuing unabated, this time in Gebläsehalle, Duisburg on 16. August 2014.

Romeo Castellucci: Le Sacre du Printemps. Choreography for 40 Machines.

“Castellucci translates all this into a choreography of bone dust. With this industrially treated animal material, which is used in agriculture as fertilizer, Castellucci refers to the motifs of sacrifice and fertility.” 

http://www.ruhrtriennale.de/en/programm/produktionen/romeo-castellucci-le-sacre-du-printemps/

Has anyone seen it? 

Thank you, John, for this clip which lasted 3 min. 7 sec.

However, the duration of this choreography for 40 Machines, without dancers, was 1 hour.

I really would like to hear something from those who attended the performance. What did they enjoy apart from the Music?

German Tanztheater choreographer Susanne Linke was appointed Artistic Director of the dance company at Trier Theatre, a smaller town in the West near the Luxembourg border. Linke, 70 years old, is one of the prominent figures of expressionist dance in Germany, in 2007 she was awarded the German Dance Prize. Her longtime collaborator Urs Dietrich was appointed Choreographer in Residence. Linke follows choreographer Sven Grützmacher who will leave after this season.

At Zurich Ballet, Christian Spuck’s contract was extended until 2022.

The winners of the annual critics‘ survey of Germany’s most important dance magazine "tanz":

production of the year: Tauberbach by Alain Platel, Kammerspiele Munich

choreographer of the year: Meg Stuart

company of the year: Martin Schläpfer’s Ballet on the Rhine at Düsseldorf/Duisburg

female dancer of the year: Natalia Osipova

male dancer of the year: Paul White / Wuppertal Dance Theater

Among the 33 "bearers of hope": Jiří and Otto Bubeníček, The Federal Youth Ballet, Edward Clug, Guillaume Côté, Nacho Duato, Kim Kimin, Matthew Koon (Northern Ballet), Yun-Su Park (Hamburg), Lemi Ponifasio, Robert Robinson (Stuttgart), Martin Schläpfer, Richard Siegal, Vladimir Varnava, Valentino Zucchetti

A new Junior Company, the third in Germany after Munich and Hamburg, was founded by Dortmund Ballet AD Xin Peng Wang. The twelve young dancers will form the "NRW Juniorballett" which will be supported by the state of Northrhine-Westphalia. Names of the dancers here

ed. for typo

Edited by Angela

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

German Tanztheater choreographer Susanne Linke was appointed Artistic Director of the dance company at Trier Theatre, a smaller town in the West near the Luxembourg border.

*And* the oldest town in Germany, of course, going back to pre-Christian times :)

I must admit that I didn't know it had a dance company, although I imagine the stage would be good for dance - a trapezium-shape, IIRC, so great sightlines.

Sorry, I obviously haven't been keeping up with this thread over the last month :(

Thanks Angela....I am glad Friedemann has been elevated to a 'king' from the prince that he normally dances!! :) Very well deserved, and I will be interested to see how he gets on. I assume that this will tour as per usual? Not my cup of tea, to be honest, but I am sure he will do very well in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Stuttgart principal dancer Marijn Rademaker will join Dutch National Ballet as a principal from January 2015. He will continue to dance as a guest at Stuttgart. His first Onegin in Cranko's ballet will take place on the upcoming Asia tour of Stuttgart Ballet, his farewell performance at Stuttgart will be the Gala on Dec. 31.

http://www.operaballet.nl/en/node/2879

http://www.marijnrademaker.com/m/

Casting for Stuttgart Ballet’s Tour to Bangkok and Singapore – with many debuts

Bangkok’s 16th International Festival of Dance and Music, Thailand Cultural Centre

Tatjana: Alicia Amatriain, Onegin: Friedemann Vogel*, Olga: Angelina Zuccarini*, Lensky: Daniel Camargo, Gremin: Damiano Pettenella

Tatjana: Elisa Badenes*, Onegin: Marijn Rademaker*, Olga: Elizabeth Wisenberg*, Lensky: David Moore*, Gremin: Roman Novitzky*

Singapore, Esplanade Theater

Tatjana: Anna Osadcenko*, Onegin: Jason Reilly, Olga: Elisa Badenes, Lensky: Marijn Rademaker, Gremin: Roland Havlica

01.11.2014 mat

Tatjana: Alicia Amatriain, Onegin: Friedemann Vogel, Olga: Angelina Zuccarini, Lensky: Daniel Camargo, Gremin: Damiano Pettenella

01.11.2014 eve

Tatjana: Miriam Kacerova*, Onegin: Alexander Jones, Olga: Elisa Badenes, Lensky: Marijn Rademaker, Gremin: Roland Havlica

* debut in role

So, Badenes gets both Tatiana and Olga. Hope she doesn't do what Cojocaru did and get confused as to who she was supposed to be during the duel scene.

Really? :-D When? I saw Cojocaru just once as Olga.

Anyway, hope Badenes does everything else Cojocaru does.;-)

Edited by annamicro