Winners of the National Dance Awards 2023

The awards were given this afternoon in London.  Some very predictable, others not so much.  Congratulations to all the winners and nominees.

DANCING TIMES AWARD FOR BEST MALE DANCER

Jeffrey Cirio (English National Ballet)

BEST FEMALE DANCER

Laura Morera (The Royal Ballet)

STEF STEFANOU AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING COMPANY

Scottish Ballet

BEST MID-SCALE COMPANY

Lost Dog

BEST INDEPENDENT COMPANY

Alleyne Dance

BEST CLASSICAL CHOREOGRAPHY

Jessica Wright and Morgann Runacre-Temple (Jess and Morgs) for Coppélia (Scottish Ballet)

BEST MODERN CHOREOGRAPHY

Ben Duke for Ruination (Lost Dog)

EMERGING ARTIST AWARD

Musa Motha (Dancer, Rambert)

OUTSTANDING FEMALE MODERN PERFORMANCE

Zeleidy Crespo in 100% Cuban (Acosta Danza)

OUTSTANDING MALE MODERN PERFORMANCE

Israel Galván in La Consagración de la Primavera (Compañia Israel Galván)

OUTSTANDING FEMALE CLASSICAL PERFORMANCE

Constance Devernay-Laurence as Swanilda in Coppélia    (Scottish Ballet)

OUTSTANDING MALE CLASSICAL PERFORMANCE

Marcelino Sambé as Pedro in Like Water for Chocolate (The Royal Ballet)

OUTSTANDING CREATIVE CONTRIBUTION

Bob Crowley (Designer, for Like Water for Chocolate)

Paco Peña (Director and Guitarist for Solera)                 

THE DE VALOIS AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION

Jonzi D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

A reminder from their website:

'The National Dance Awards have been organised by the Dance Section of the Critics’ Circle in each year of this Millennium to celebrate the vigour and variety of Britain’s thriving dance culture. They are presented by the Dance Section of the Critics’ Circle, which brings together over 60 dance writers and critics. They are the only awards given by the body of professional dance critics in the UK.'

One section of the website gives the following info about the committee:

Chairman: Graham Watts OBE

Deputy Chairman: Debra Craine

Hon Secretary: Deborah Weiss

Committee: Zoe Anderson, Debra Craine, Josephine Leask, Neil Norman, Lyndsey Winship  

But elsewhere on the website it says: The National Dance Awards Committee is: Debra Craine (Deputy Chair), Sarah Crompton, Maggie Foyer, Jonathan Gray, Lynette Halewood, Donald Hutera, Josephine Leask, Bruce Marriott, Emily May, David Mead, Neil Norman, Graham Watts OBE (Chair), Deborah Weiss (Secretary) and Lyndsey Winship.'

So I don't know which is correct. But I'm amazed really that there are more than 60 people in the UK who are paid to write about dance!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bridiem said:

A reminder from their website:

'The National Dance Awards have been organised by the Dance Section of the Critics’ Circle in each year of this Millennium to celebrate the vigour and variety of Britain’s thriving dance culture. They are presented by the Dance Section of the Critics’ Circle, which brings together over 60 dance writers and critics. They are the only awards given by the body of professional dance critics in the UK.'

One section of the website gives the following info about the committee:

Chairman: Graham Watts OBE

Deputy Chairman: Debra Craine

Hon Secretary: Deborah Weiss

Committee: Zoe Anderson, Debra Craine, Josephine Leask, Neil Norman, Lyndsey Winship  

But elsewhere on the website it says: The National Dance Awards Committee is: Debra Craine (Deputy Chair), Sarah Crompton, Maggie Foyer, Jonathan Gray, Lynette Halewood, Donald Hutera, Josephine Leask, Bruce Marriott, Emily May, David Mead, Neil Norman, Graham Watts OBE (Chair), Deborah Weiss (Secretary) and Lyndsey Winship.'

So I don't know which is correct. But I'm amazed really that there are more than 60 people in the UK who are paid to write about dance!

Many of them are not paid, and some of them don't write officially anymore.  Sorry to rain on your parade Bridie!!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sim said:

Many of them are not paid, and some of them don't write officially anymore.  Sorry to rain on your parade Bridie!!  

If you're a 'professional' critic surely you're paid?!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, capybara said:

Becoming increasingly confused as to how one qualifies to become a ‘judge’ then.

They are all people who have written professionally in the past, and are still considered as critics even if they no longer write officially. Once you are in the Critics' Circle they don't throw you out if you stop writing...you are still considered a critic.  Similarly in some countries people who have been president are forever after considered a president and are referred to as such even if they are no longer in office.

47 minutes ago, Sim said:

They are all people who have written professionally in the past, and are still considered as critics even if they no longer write officially. Once you are in the Critics' Circle they don't throw you out if you stop writing...you are still considered a critic.  Similarly in some countries people who have been president are forever after considered a president and are referred to as such even if they are no longer in office.

I know that a ‘critic’ cannot propose a person or company unless they have actually seen the performance(s) concerned but some (most?) of them, in all probability, will not have seen more than one cast but can still vote.

And now you’ve told us that a number of them are no longer writing. Are they actually seeing enough shows to register an informed vote?

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, capybara said:

I know that a ‘critic’ cannot propose a person or company unless they have actually seen the performance(s) concerned but some (most?) of them, in all probability, will not have seen more than one cast but can still vote.

And now you’ve told us that a number of them are no longer writing. Are they actually seeing enough shows to register an informed vote?

Good point - but a flawed awards is better than no awards (I reckon)

Guest oncnp

.....and while I may be disappointed that my favorite didn't win (chances perhaps lessened by not being first cast) I wonder if the dancer's themselves even care? 

3 minutes ago, oncnp said:

.....and while I may be disappointed that my favorite didn't win (chances perhaps lessened by not being first cast) I wonder if the dancer's themselves even care? 

I think they care if they win!!  ... lol  

(A little love and recognition never goes amiss)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Well, from conversations I have had with several dancers about this over the years, they come across as being philisophical about the whole thing. They know the ‘playing field’ field is uneven.

And yet, and yet there is the odd sign of hurt from some amazing dancers (let’s call them A, B and C) that dancers X and Y (please fill in the blanks for yourselves!! ) seem to find repetitive favour when they (A, B and C) don’t even make the shortlists.

And those who win clearly DO like the accolade. Who wouldn’t?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Balletfanp said:

I’d be willing to bet some of the results would be completely different if the public were allowed a say!

it would be even worse, as some dancers have bigger 'fan clubs' than others; and some of those fan clubs are more zealous and vociferous than others

• Like 9