The Theatre des Champs Elysees has today announced next season's programme.

It includes Boston Ballet - May 27 - 30 (2024) bringing a triple bill that includes a Kylian piece (Bella Figura) and a Forsyth (Blake Works 3).

Dancers in the company include Jeffrey Cirio and Michaela DePrince.

Also Norwegian Ballet - April 4-7 (2024), bringing Pite's Light of Passage.

Company dancers include Xander Parish and Yolanda Correa ( a wonderful Cuban dancer who is returning to Norway after several years in Germany).

Also Ballet Preljocaj, bringing 2 of the director's ballets, including one to Les  Noces.

For music lovers there are operas, chamber music concerts, piano recitals from world famous pianists (including 2 by my favourite British pianist, Benjamin Grosvenor)

The Paris Opera Ballet will announce its season on 29 March. There are rumours that they may include Ashton's Fille .....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

The Paris Opera has just announced its season.

Yes, Fille is on, and not at the tail end of the season, as usual, but from 14 March, 14 performances, ending in a matinee on April 1.

The classics start with Nutcracker, (Nureyev) 19 performances from December 8 to January 1. Then Don Q, 23 performances from March 21 to April 24. Giselle has 24 performances, from 29 April to 1 June.  Swan Lake (Nureyev, of course) is on from June 20 to 14 July (17 performances).

There's a varied Robbins bill- En Sol, In the Night, The Concert- in the autumn, 15 performances from 23 October to 10 November.

Modern bills kick the season off, with an opening gala of new works by Xiu and Motin and a Crystal Pite (The Seasons Canon), and the same programme is given 16 further performances from 23 September to 12 October. There's a Kylian triple, ending with everyone's favourite( apart from me!) Petite Mort, throughout December, from 7 to 31. Ohad Naharin's Sadeh 21 is danced throughout February and ends 2 March.

The Bejart Ballet Lausanne is the guest company in January (4-7).

One of the most interesting programmes, as usual, is that chosen for the School: Les Forains (Petit- when I see it I always wonder if Ashton was influenced by it in the gypsy scene in Two Pigeons, either way it's a good ballet), a Kylian (Un Ballo) and ending with Lifar's Suite en Blanc (if only ENB would do it again). The Paris Opera Ballet School do it on April 13, 14, 16 and on the 17 it is presented in a gala by dance schools. (Invited schools include from Canada, Dutch, Milan, Hamburg, San Francisco, Royal Danish and our own RBS.

It is also possible to book to see Paris Opera Ballet School class demonstrations on the Garnier stage in December (3-16)

There aren't many matinees, they tend to be on a Sunday although occasionally there's one on a Saturday. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Oh if Paris can do La Fille why not London…I don’t know if I can afford to go to Paris for it!

Overall seems like a good strong season to me 9 programmes with 4 more modern mixed bill (including Robbins!) and 5 (!) major classical works:

Nutcracker 

La Fille

Don Q

Giselle

swan lake 

I wouldn’t complain if London replicated this to be honest - we’re nearly guaranteed Nutcracker at Christmas anyway and Swan Lake is due round if we follow the every other year cycle between that and sleeping beauty.

I doubt we’ll see Giselle again (would bet it will come back in 24/25 though) but Don Q is a good contender given it was last on early 2019. If we can’t have La Fille what about Sylvia or La Bayadere or Jewels…

I imagine we will get Manon and Romeo and Juliet instead though. And this year given we only had four big “classical” works (Mayerling, SB, Cinderella, Nutcracker), 5 if you include Woolf Works then I’m not sure.

• Like 1

I’m heading to Paris in the summer but the only thing on while I’m there is Manon, so I’m going to that but if the experience is worth it… might be on the cards to take a quick trip over for Fille. 

Yes, if POB can stage La Fille there can be no possible reason for the ROH not to stage their founder choreographer's greatest full length ballet. I'm keeping everything crossed for the RB new season announcement that it will contain either Fille or Sylvia and hopefully either an Ashton triple or part triple.

• Like 4

I am not sure if it is okay to post this (if it is not appropriate, please delete) but I heard from a certain dancer (not RB) that the company she belongs will no longer be staging La Fille mal gardee due to a complaint from a audience member that the portrayal of Alan is not appropriate (bullying someone who is not mentally mature).

This is a difficult issue and I don't know what to say.

13 hours ago, Naomi M said:

I am not sure if it is okay to post this (if it is not appropriate, please delete) but I heard from a certain dancer (not RB) that the company she belongs will no longer be staging La Fille mal gardee due to a complaint from a audience member that the portrayal of Alan is not appropriate (bullying someone who is not mentally mature).

This is a difficult issue and I don't know what to say.

I can think of a few things to say, but I won't.  I just think it's a real shame that because one or two people object, thousands more have to be deprived of this wonderful ballet.  I don't think we will be seeing it in London, either, any time soon.  Same for Bayadere.  If this is true, it is a very, very sad state of affairs.

• Like 10

On 29/03/2023 at 20:54, jmhopton said:

Yes, if POB can stage La Fille there can be no possible reason for the ROH not to stage their founder choreographer's greatest full length ballet. I'm keeping everything crossed for the RB new season announcement that it will contain either Fille or Sylvia and hopefully either an Ashton triple or part triple.

On a recent trip to Paris I saw a new opera production set in a mental hospital. Some members of the chorus had been directed to portray "simple"/"mad" people in a way that I thought was almost parodic and grossly insensitive. I was astonished that it had been allowed on stage.

I don't know if there's a different level of so-called sensitivity in Paris (or whether it's just that fashionable directors get a free pass, there or more widely - artistic freedom?) but to me this was far more offensive than anything in Fille.

Edited by Lizbie1
typo

10 hours ago, TSR101 said:

I think Marianela Nunez posted on her instagram (from a follower) saying she will be performing Giselle in Paris as part of the new season but not seen in confirmed anywhere.

Laura Cappelle's Twitter report on  the press conference in Paris included Nunez being invited to dance Giselle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

On a recent trip to Paris I saw a new opera production set in a mental hospital. Some members of the chorus had been directed to portray "simple"/"mad" people in a way that I thought was almost parodic and grossly insensitive. I was astonished that it had been allowed on stage.

I don't know if there's a different level of so-called sensitivity in Paris (or whether it's just that fashionable directors get a free pass, there or more widely - artistic freedom?) but to me this was far more offensive than anything in Fille.

A few years ago Matthew Bourne produced his alternative adaptation of "Romeo and Juliet" set in a mental hospital called 'Verona Institute’. Unless I missed something, I don’t remember any critical remarks against this choice of place where the actions of this ballet unfold. It means for me that the choreographer covered this point thoughtfully, with tact, and the inhabitants of that institution did not become a target for sneers from the audience. However, I wouldn’t like to see what you, Lizbie1, saw in Paris and described as "almost parodic and grossly insensitive” portrayal of mental patients. I wonder how the audience reacted to this? 
Where the not very bright Alain is concerned I don’t feel that this character provokes an unpleasant reaction and sneers. On the contrary, when sensitively performed, without exaggeration, he elicits warm feelings and is no less lovable character than the leading 'heroes'.

• Like 3

My memory of the Matthew Bourne R&J was that it was set in an institution / prison for young adults.  It’s not explained why.  There wasn’t any portrayal of madness.  

The marketing for the summer 2023 tour says:

Confined against their will by a society that seeks to divide, our two young lovers must follow their hearts as they risk everything to be together. “

20 hours ago, Sophoife said:

The press conference was live streamed and yes, I heard José Martinez say Miss Nuñez would be guesting in Fille

not Giselle then?

Fille makes more sense if Nunez wants to do it and because sadly maybe she knows she won’t get the chance anytime soon in London…

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FionaE said:

My memory of the Matthew Bourne R&J was that it was set in an institution / prison for young adults.  It’s not explained why.  There wasn’t any portrayal of madness.  

The marketing for the summer 2023 tour says:

Confined against their will by a society that seeks to divide, our two young lovers must follow their hearts as they risk everything to be together. “

True, this is a citation from 'The Guardian'.
In 2019, some reviewers used different descriptions:
- "Designs suggest an asylum or sanitorium of sorts, a place where white-uniformed disturbed people are locked up..."
- "An alternative adaptation of 'Romeo & Juliet' set in a mental hospital called 'Verona Institute’…"
- "Verona Institute, populated by teenagers who are strictly policed by guards and medics.  controlled through medication and punishment…"
- "Romeo meets Juliet in a brutal ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’-style psychiatric hospital-cum-borstal…"