RBS Junior Associates 2023

AllAboutTheJourney

7 hours ago, kimsballet said:

My daughter will be in Year 5 in September and her audition is on the Wednesday x

Oh well that blows my theory then! My daughter will also be Y5 and her audition is on Thursday. 
I wonder how they do it then? Maybe alphabetical order by surname or year of birth? Could be anything couldn’t it!

• Like 1

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 16/04/2023 at 06:40, Tendu_mum said:

Oh well that blows my theory then! My daughter will also be Y5 and her audition is on Thursday. 
I wonder how they do it then? Maybe alphabetical order by surname or year of birth? Could be anything couldn’t it!

London is always in age order but they don't use year groups.  They usually start wth youngest and work up to oldest.  My year 9 daughter did her SA sudition with mostly girls in year 10 and 11 girls as she was the oldest year 9 so there were only 6 left and they were put in with the older ones even though they weren't 'against' her.

5 hours ago, BattementBatty said:

London is always in age order but they don't use year groups.  They usually start wth youngest and work up to oldest.  My year 9 daughter did her SA sudition with mostly girls in year 10 and 11 girls as she was the oldest year 9 so there were only 6 left and they were put in with the older ones even though they weren't 'against' her.

Oh ok, thank you that’s useful and interesting to know!

My daughter is one of the oldest in her year so I guess she’ll be with all the autumn born 9 year olds and those who are nearly 9 but still auditioning for Y5 will be with the other 8 year olds auditioning for a Y4 place? 

I wonder how many JA audition classes they do over the 3 days? There can’t be just 3? 

17 minutes ago, Tendu_mum said:

Oh ok, thank you that’s useful and interesting to know!

My daughter is one of the oldest in her year so I guess she’ll be with all the autumn born 9 year olds and those who are nearly 9 but still auditioning for Y5 will be with the other 8 year olds auditioning for a Y4 place? 

I wonder how many JA audition classes they do over the 3 days? There can’t be just 3? 

I think there's usually several per day

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tendu_mum said:

Oh right, yes I thought as much. It really is so hard to get a place isn’t it! Just need to keep prepping my daughter for that! 

By that I mean not getting a place! But the inevitable disappointment if she doesn’t get a place will be tough. 

30 minutes ago, Dancing_Mae said:

Do they have a preference over socks or tights? I’m sure I have read that either is fine, but been told they prefer them to wear socks, as they do some of the audition in bare feet and they are easier to take off?

Yeh I wasn't quite sure as it says on the information on the email "ballet tights.. or socks as preferred"... it does mention they'll need to take their shoes off- but nothing about taking socks/ tights off like I assumed they would from other things I've read. So will probably go with convertible tights as a middle ground so they can still be removed!

• Thanks 1

Is anyone buying new ballet shoes for it? My daughter has fairly new ones but are a bit black in places, I’ve never attempted to wash any ballet shoes before, I was thinking a gentle brush would be enough but any tips welcome! I don’t really want to pay out for another pair she doesn’t currently need..

Just another question, I’ve seen people comment that their 10 year olds are auditioning for the Junior associates? Would 10 year olds not now go into the Mids or does it work differently? I was under the impression it would only be 7-9 year olds currently auditioning? 

1 hour ago, Tendu_mum said:

Just another question, I’ve seen people comment that their 10 year olds are auditioning for the Junior associates? Would 10 year olds not now go into the Mids or does it work differently? I was under the impression it would only be 7-9 year olds currently auditioning? 

I believe it is for Year 4, 5 and 6 from September- so right now they'd need to be in Year 3, 4 or 5 to audition and be age 8-10 by the end of August (so yes, some of them may still be 7 if they have a late summer birthday), ready to start in September. If you think Year 4 will be age 8 and 9, Year 5 will be age 9 and 10, and Year 6 will age 10 and 11. 
My daughter is only 8 still- so at the youngest age, but actually will be going for a Year 5 place as she's in Year 4 right now which would be the middle 'age'. If that makes sense!

Edited by kimsballet

She really liked it as she said the teacher was.lovely! She will be the youngest there as she is a summer baby and year 3 going for.yr 4 place......so not holding out hope! But she liked it and didn't seem fazed by it all!

Good luck everyone! Wow that does sound like a lot that auditioned, I’ve heard in London there are loads which is where we’re auditioning at the end of the month. 

But to those who have done it at least you can now relax until the results - we’ve still got over 4 weeks until the audition! 

Did your DD say what they asked her to do? Any specific exercises or stretches?