RBS Junior Associates 2023

AllAboutTheJourney

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Are photos to be taken in shoes and socks or bare feet? I know the website says bare legs with shoes and socks, but dds ballet teacher really wants to them in bare feet. Does it matter? I can't remember what we did last time!

I’ve known kids get in with bare feet if your teacher would prefer that. I don’t think it matters. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know approximately how long it takes for RBS to allocate audition days/ slots to people for the JA auditions? I didn't know if it was quite late in the day, or pretty quickly on application close?

And should they get in, does anyone know/ have experience of the travel bursary for Associates travelling a long way to their centre? Our first and second choice centre are 60 miles and 100 miles away, so a fair trek!

Thank you!!

7 hours ago, balletkims said:

Does anyone know approximately how long it takes for RBS to allocate audition days/ slots to people for the JA auditions? I didn't know if it was quite late in the day, or pretty quickly on application close?

And should they get in, does anyone know/ have experience of the travel bursary for Associates travelling a long way to their centre? Our first and second choice centre are 60 miles and 100 miles away, so a fair trek!

Thank you!!

I'm pretty certain it was just a week before the audition date last year.

15 hours ago, balletkims said:

Thank you!!

I’m sure travel has to be 75miles (one way) at least. It is paid in two instalments normally around December and July/August. This gives them time to work out how many sessions you attended before both payment dates. You have to show proof of your journey, I use AA Route Planner. 😃

15 hours ago, Firecracker said:

I'm pretty certain it was just a week before the audition date last year.

Oh wow ok! We're travelling quite a long way for the audition so was hoping to book a hotel etc- so thank you for the heads up! Much appreciated.

7 hours ago, Dancer20 said:

I’m sure travel has to be 75miles (one way) at least. It is paid in two instalments normally around December and July/August. This gives them time to work out how many sessions you attended before both payment dates. You have to show proof of your journey, I use AA Route Planner. 😃

That's good to know- thank you for taking the time to reply! I'm not expecting this Associate thing to go anywhere and we're just doing it for fun/ an experience- but good to know just in case the unexpected happens that logistics can be worked out! I'm in Wales- so it's a shame there isn't a Welsh centre!

Edited by balletkims
  • Like 1

Hello all! So my DD (7, 8 in august)has just had her first ballet exam and absolutely loved it. 

A girl from her ballet school was just accepted to RBS for full time year 7, which led me to start researching.

I only found out about JA yesterday, wanted to apply for JA but the deadline was yesterday. Do you know if they have a super firm policy on no late applications? Think the audition process would be fun and a good experience for her even if she’s a bit too young/not enough experience to get it! (She’s the youngest in her year at school!!) 

I just checked the website, there is no link to the application. You could try and email them however more likely have a chance next year now. Sorry you missed the date. It used to be that the dancers dance school would discuss with parents about applying for different things outside the normal extra curricular dance classes and they would keep up with all the dates for applications etc. 

@B.wightman1 It might be worth phoning them to ask if they will accept a late application first as you will need to get photos done which people tend to get taken by a teacher. I wouldn’t organise that without checking if they will accept your application as I think they are fairly strict about the deadlines.

People will be able to recommend some other associate schemes if you’ve missed RBS for this year - there are quite a few depending on roughly where you’re based. 

On 28/03/2023 at 01:20, kimsballet said:

Thank you!!

Hello

although this doesn’t help you with time the audition location and days are here which might help you with planning:

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/train/apply/uk-auditions/

On 29/03/2023 at 07:30, Workhard_Dreambig said:

Hello

although this doesn’t help you with time the audition location and days are here which might help you with planning:

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/train/apply/uk-auditions/

Thank you! Yes we've already applied and know what the date range is, but as there are a few days of auditions in that area, I just wondered when they confirm these kinds of things so that we can sort things like work, travel and accommodation! We shall see! Thanks again :)

• Like 1

Hi all! 👋 I’m new to the forum! 

My daughter is going to audition for the Y5 JA’s in London, the auditions are over 4 days, does anyone know if we are unable to make the date offered, if they would let us change the audition to another date that week? Seeing as there are 4 days for London? 

Thanks! 

6 minutes ago, Tendu_mum said:

Hi all! 👋 I’m new to the forum! 

My daughter is going to audition for the Y5 JA’s in London, the auditions are over 4 days, does anyone know if we are unable to make the date offered, if they would let us change the audition to another date that week? Seeing as there are 4 days for London? 

Thanks! 

I'm not sure I'm afraid- but I'm the same and hoping we'll find out soon when they'll be during that week! We're travelling quite a way and will need to stay over so need to book something, as well as sort work etc! I hadn't quite factored in that we may not know until the week or so before, so will have to try and keep the whole week free!🥴 

When my eldest DD auditioned for JAs, she was supposed to audition in Leeds as that is our closest centre, but ended up with chicken pox!!!! I emailed them and they switched her audition to London for us.....Nice road trip! So they seem very accommodating. 

• Like 1

Thanks Sunrise, that’s good to know. My daughter has her first ever ballet solo that week as well so I’m really hoping they don’t fall on the same day! She’s put so much work into it and is so excited!

kimsballet - surely they need to give parents more notice than the week before?!

In the email it says once the applications close so I’m hoping we’ll find out in the next week or two 🤞 we only need to catch the train up but I feel for you having to book accommodation as well!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tendu_mum said:

Thanks Sunrise, that’s good to know. My daughter has her first ever ballet solo that week as well so I’m really hoping they don’t fall on the same day! She’s put so much work into it and is so excited!

kimsballet - surely they need to give parents more notice than the week before?!

In the email it says once the applications close so I’m hoping we’ll find out in the next week or two 🤞 we only need to catch the train up but I feel for you having to book accommodation as well!

I really hope so! Someone suggested above it has been the week before in the past- so hoping that wasn't the norm!! 🥴 Especially as it's the half term holidays!

I really hope it’s not the week before! I have the whole week off work apart from 1 day so you can guarantee both her solo and her audition will fall on the day that I have to work! 😩

Is anyone else spending far too much time thinking about this? Seeing as there are such few places available I need to get a grip! 😂
I’ve prepped our DD that the chances of getting a place are slim due to there not being enough for everyone but I can’t help getting caught up in it all!

1 minute ago, Tendu_mum said:

I really hope it’s not the week before! I have the whole week off work apart from 1 day so you can guarantee both her solo and her audition will fall on the day that I have to work! 😩

Is anyone else spending far too much time thinking about this? Seeing as there are such few places available I need to get a grip! 😂
I’ve prepped our DD that the chances of getting a place are slim due to there not being enough for everyone but I can’t help getting caught up in it all!

Arg I really hope it doesn't fall on your work day! 

Yes it's hard to get a balance isn't it!! I've gone the route of seeing it as a fun experience, and played down the audition bit! But you also have to practically make sure it will work for you _should_ the best happen!! And hard to not get carried away with it all, especially knowing they'll probably only take a handful of kids, especially year 5s, across the whole country- so the chances are slim to none. But a great experience I'm sure!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tendu_mum said:

Hello @Tendu_mum and welcome to the Forum!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Tendu_mum said:

Ah ok, yes I see on their website Leeds is the 5th May. 

But at least it means they’re starting the process so fingers crossed London won’t be too long! 🤞

I've just had an email with the London audition date @Tendu_mum! I hope you get yours too if not already :)

• Like 1

Hi all, please can I ask if anyone knows whether the London auditions are separated into year group?
The auditions are over 3 days and I just wondered if they were doing Y3 on Tuesday, Y4 on Wednesday and Y5 on Thursday? Anyone else auditioning in London and does that sound correct? 🤔 

16 minutes ago, Tendu_mum said:

Hi all, please can I ask if anyone knows whether the London auditions are separated into year group?
The auditions are over 3 days and I just wondered if they were doing Y3 on Tuesday, Y4 on Wednesday and Y5 on Thursday? Anyone else auditioning in London and does that sound correct? 🤔 

My daughter will be in Year 5 in September and her audition is on the Wednesday x