RBS Junior Associates 2023

AllAboutTheJourney

Just thought I'd start a thread for anyone thinking of applying this year. The annual thread has usually been a very helpful place to ask questions or share experiences. 

We've just taken the pics and will be applying today. Our experience with the JA programme has been very positive and I've had 2 children participate now. After a somewhat circuitous route, we are now applying for a Y6 place, as my second DC has decided to audition again after doing Y4 and then choosing not to do Y5 due to some logistical issues! 

All of that to explain that we've been through this process a fair few times now, as have others on the forum, so please feel free to ask any questions!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how many in total across all the centres but the annual reports on the school website give the figures from a few years ago. In terms of strict numbers for each centre, no - it can be fluid and changes slightly from year to year. There will be a max number per class (and I imagine a minimum number to make the classes financially viable) but no, it's not a hard and fast number per centre in my experience. 

Some centres have one mixed age/sex group and others have several classes split by age and/or sex. 

There are often people who join in Y6 - new people joined our old centre each of the 3 years that my first DC was there, some from each year group. I can't speak for all the centres but often on this forum people get a Yes in Y5 or Y6 after a previous No or wait list. Always worth a shot if your DC is keen and you think they would enjoy the audition process! We always treat the audition as fun day out in itself. 

• Like 1

@Ballet_dancer2020 A big YES! My (ex- and now very happily at full-time vocational ballet school) pupil got straight nos for JAs for Years 4 and 5 and a straight yes for Year 6. At her centre (Eastleigh) there's a separate class for Year 6s, so a few more spaces are available for entry in that year. She was chosen for some amazing opportunities during her year there, including being the only girl asked to demonstrate for a talk their teacher was giving, so there was no feeling of her being the underdog either, although she had a lot of catching up to do. Go for it, as @AllAboutTheJourneysaid, the audition is a wonderful experience in itself.

• Like 1

The girls always come out buzzing from the audition. My daughter got no first time (video application) and yes for year 5. She’s absolutely loving it. Make a fun day out of it, maybe visit the many dance shops around ( Dancia, Bloch, Pineapple) and of course the ROH shop. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ballet_dancer2020 said:

Thank you @MissEmily and @AllAboutTheJourney for the encouraging feedback, that's really helpful thank you! I agree the audition process was fun last year and we made it a day out too so was a nice experience. DD is always keen - it's just my nerves that can't usually cope! I think will maybe let her try again though... 🤞

Waiting for results is painful! For us! 

• Like 1

My daughter might audition next year - does everyone pay for professional photos?! On instagram (I know…) everyone seems to have done this but it seems overkill when I think her chances aren’t that great. Especially since they say they offer everyone an audition. Thanks!

(long time lurker here!)

• Like 1

You definitely don't need professional photos. But if you're not experienced in ballet yourself do make sure that you have a ballet teacher present when you take the photos to make sure that alignment and technique is as correct as it can be.

RBS consistently tell parents not to pay for professional photos but still many do. My suspicion is that it is more for Instagram than anything else!

• Like 3

Thank you! That was my instinct too but it’s hard not to be swayed when there’s talk of ‘coaching’ during the photo sessions. She’d be going in for the experience mainly (although obviously not a completely implausible candidate) and would rather not over-egg the pudding…

Also it says 8-10 but I assume that means 8-10 at the end of the school year. She’s a late summer birthday so would be 10 at this point in year 6 but I assume that’s too late for JAs. 

16 hours ago, MissEmily said:

Does anyone know if children on the Short Waiting List will be offered the online course this year?

I’m not sure but that seemed to be the way it worked last year I think. There were a few different groups doing the online classes. 

Interestingly, you can now put the online course as your first choice on the form when you apply (which will work well for some people if you can’t travel to a centre etc). 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, littledancer99 said:

Does anyone know what is covered in the actual audition for JA's?

It's a couple of years since one of my DC was at an in-person audition as the last time we applied it was online, but essentially it involves: 

- standing in different positions facing the panel, like standing (in bare feet) to the front, straight legs and in plie in first, then to the side and with bent knees (legs parallel). Sitting down with legs straight ahead, showing pointed feet and flexed feet. Pike fold, box splits, frogs I think- that kind of thing. 

- some barre work, including plies and tendus.

- centre work including sautés and things like gallops and 'pony trots' from the corner. Spring points I think too. 

- improv, which involves listening to a piece of music and moving to it from a seated or kneeling position. Once year they were told to be seaweed, I think another year it was trees in the wind, that kind of thing. 

Someone will no doubt be able to say if it was significantly different last year. It's all fairly basic and they are looking for potential at this stage. It's quite a fun class I believe. 

Random question.....has anyone had a dc at vocational school.paying fees with MDS, and then a second dc on JA scheme.......any discount allowance for the fact you were paying vocational fees? Or am I wishing too much?!

2 hours ago, Balletfriends said:

Can anybody tell me what time classes start and end if successful? We are auditioning for Birmingham first choice, and have put Manchester as second. 

Not sure of exact times in Manchester but they are def afternoon as Mids finishes at 11.30am so one of the JA classes starts after that. The JAs are collected before mids comes out. 

• Like 1