Northern Ballet School (Manchester) 2023

kazia1

Hi, first time posting👍🏻 My dd is auditioning next Saturday at NBS Manchester. Travelling down from Scotland. We didn’t manage to go to any of the open days so not got a feel for it. What’s the audition like ? My dd enjoys all styles of dance. She’s doing a lyrical solo for the audition. We have had 3 auditions so far and 2 offers, waiting for the result of RCS.

Any insights would be great. This whole audition season is exhausting 🙈🙈for parents too. Thx 😊 

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, kazia1 said:

Hi, first time posting👍🏻 My dd is auditioning next Saturday at NBS Manchester. Travelling down from Scotland. We didn’t manage to go to any of the open days so not got a feel for it. What’s the audition like ? My dd enjoys all styles of dance. She’s doing a lyrical solo for the audition. We have had 3 auditions so far and 2 offers, waiting for the result of RCS.

Any insights would be great. This whole audition season is exhausting 🙈🙈for parents too. Thx 😊 

Hi. How exciting for your DD. I presume you’ve got all your travel plans sorted or would you like some advice?  Audition day can feel like quite a daunting prospect however when my DD auditioned at NBS from the moment we arrived and throughout the day both the parents and DC were made to feel most welcome. (We hadn’t attended any open days either, so we were definitely the blind leading the blind on the day😉). 
I understand the process has changed over the past couple of years so would be unfair to comment directly about the actual audition but happy to provide any guidance/advice for parents 😊

• Thanks 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Northern Ballet School (Manchester) 2023
3 hours ago, balletbean said:

Hi. How exciting for your DD. I presume you’ve got all your travel plans sorted or would you like some advice?  Audition day can feel like quite a daunting prospect however when my DD auditioned at NBS from the moment we arrived and throughout the day both the parents and DC were made to feel most welcome. (We hadn’t attended any open days either, so we were definitely the blind leading the blind on the day😉). 
I understand the process has changed over the past couple of years so would be unfair to comment directly about the actual audition but happy to provide any guidance/advice for parents 😊

Thanks😀She’s looking forwArd to it. Yes driving down as train strikes put me off that as wasn’t sure when they would be happening! Staying in Maldron hotel nearby, got a good deal though they don’t have parking onsite but I believe there’s a car park very close. This is audition 4 and it’s definitely a stressful process waiting for results! 

Will check out older posts for further details, thanx. Good luck to all 😀

52 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Hello @kazia1 and welcome to the Forum!

If you click on the NBS tags at the top of the thread loads of older threads come up that contain information you may find useful.  I'm sure other people who have/have had children at the school will also chip in, as balletbean already has.

Thanks for your help. 😀

8 hours ago, kazia1 said:

We were in the Covid video audition period so I can't offer any advice on auditioning IRL I'm afraid. But I have a daughter at NBS now - in fact she helped with auditions last weekend but isn't doing this weekend I don't think - so happy to respond to any queries.

• Thanks 1

We were at the Dec audition day, and also hadn’t attended the open day. DD enjoyed the day and they provide refreshments for parents, as well as a talk and a tour so it doesn’t drag too much! I would bring pointe shoes if your DD has them as they did some pointe work towards end of the ballet class. There was a flexibility assessment but this was as a class rather than 1-2-1. Parents weren’t at the interview - you could probably insist if you wanted, but they did it straight after her solo. 

Im sure current students can give you a proper insight into the school - but I did find that the class sizes were larger than others she’s auditioned for (by double), and they don’t offer the full DDE - just the ballet module and only if there’s sufficient interest. 
I think it’s always about finding the right fit, and I did appreciate having the talk and q&a, with having missed the open day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Contretemps said:

We were at the Dec audition day, and also hadn’t attended the open day. DD enjoyed the day and they provide refreshments for parents, as well as a talk and a tour so it doesn’t drag too much! I would bring pointe shoes if your DD has them as they did some pointe work towards end of the ballet class. There was a flexibility assessment but this was as a class rather than 1-2-1. Parents weren’t at the interview - you could probably insist if you wanted, but they did it straight after her solo. 

Im sure current students can give you a proper insight into the school - but I did find that the class sizes were larger than others she’s auditioned for (by double), and they don’t offer the full DDE - just the ballet module and only if there’s sufficient interest. 
I think it’s always about finding the right fit, and I did appreciate having the talk and q&a, with having missed the open day.

Thanks😊I’m new to all this … what’s DDE ? Also. an they use their phones to play the music for the solos ? The auditions so far only had about 15 in each class. 

17 minutes ago, Contretemps said:

DDE is a level 4 diploma in dance education - a few of the other schools/colleges offer this alongside their main qualification. I’m really not sure how you’d top this up if you’d only completed one module - but others may know.

Yes it was music on their phones for the audition 👍🏻

Audition class size was around 15 - but the class sizes for the course (as in the intake) was around 30 (or at least that’s what I was told at the q&a). 
I felt that there were a lot of opportunities provided for students though - e.g. a showcase just for potential agents plus one of the cruise ships (I’ve forgotten which one!) hold an audition session just for NBS students. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kazia1 said:

Thanks😀She’s looking forwArd to it. Yes driving down as train strikes put me off that as wasn’t sure when they would be happening! Staying in Maldron hotel nearby, got a good deal though they don’t have parking onsite but I believe there’s a car park very close. This is audition 4 and it’s definitely a stressful process waiting for results! 

Will check out older posts for further details, thanx. Good luck to all 😀

That’s great. And totally understandable not wanting to rely on the trains. With regards to the car that’s a yes, just past the Maldron in Charles Street there’s a multi storey carpark which is opposite  the Ibis Hotel.  
We only had to wait a week for the letter to arrive in the post. Still hold that letter dear. 
Good Luck and best wishes to your DD. 🤞🏼😊🍀

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely take pointe shoes! My DD found the ballet choreo faster and less straightforward than other auditions she's done and really enjoyed the jazz. She said most dancers in her group were doing lyrical or contemporary solos (she did old school jazz). The talk was very useful and I'd advise you to ask all your questions as there definitely isn't much information online. The interview at her audition was just with the deputy principal, Miss Gray, and included questions about how she saw her future in dance. Hope that helps and good luck to your DD! 

• Thanks 1

DS auditioned last year in person (and now currently in 1st year, and loving it) … audition comprised of classes in the morning, ballet and then I think jazz or modern? They had current students in the classes with them so they have someone to look to if they get in a pickle. Then the flexibility assessment which is done as a class so not as intimidating as it sounds, then school talk & tour (with parents) which was a good chance to ask lots of questions, and then solos and interviews. Solos were a complete mix… they study all genres of dance so it really can be anything. DS did a piece of music that changed half way did he could do a bit of ballet and a bit of contemporary, but literally there were people doing all genres. Interview was fine… he said it was gentle, just a nice chat about what he loved about dancing, what his ambitions were and whether we were supportive of the application. Teas and coffees laid out for parents and somewhere for us all to sit on a very rainy day. It was probably the most welcoming and friendly audition we did. They also offer free workshops and summer schools which give you a taster of the school too.  Good Luck!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mum5678 said:

DS auditioned last year in person (and now currently in 1st year, and loving it) … audition comprised of classes in the morning, ballet and then I think jazz or modern? They had current students in the classes with them so they have someone to look to if they get in a pickle. Then the flexibility assessment which is done as a class so not as intimidating as it sounds, then school talk & tour (with parents) which was a good chance to ask lots of questions, and then solos and interviews. Solos were a complete mix… they study all genres of dance so it really can be anything. DS did a piece of music that changed half way did he could do a bit of ballet and a bit of contemporary, but literally there were people doing all genres. Interview was fine… he said it was gentle, just a nice chat about what he loved about dancing, what his ambitions were and whether we were supportive of the application. Teas and coffees laid out for parents and somewhere for us all to sit on a very rainy day. It was probably the most welcoming and friendly audition we did. They also offer free workshops and summer schools which give you a taster of the school too.  Good Luck!! 

Thank you. It sounds like a very positive experience😀How long did it take for the results? 

2 hours ago, kazia1 said:

Thank you. It sounds like a very positive experience😀How long did it take for the results? 

My daughter is also in the 1st year and absolutely loving it. She thoroughly enjoyed her audition day too. From what I remember, she auditioned on a Saturday and was emailed an offer the following Friday. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kazia1 said:

Did the parents stay or go and come back for Q & A ? 😀

Parents come back for the Q&A. NBS look after the parents with tea and coffee set up for you in the morning in a studio where you can wait and then a presentation by the deputy principal after lunch break followed by a tour. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Wenders said:

Parents come back for the Q&A. NBS look after the parents with tea and coffee set up for you in the morning in a studio where you can wait and then a presentation by the deputy principal after lunch break followed by a tour. 

Thanks for the information 👍🏻

1 hour ago, kazia1 said:

Did the parents stay or go and come back for Q & A ? 😀

If you decide to take a stroll to stretch your legs during the audition process, may I suggest to turn right out of NBS then right again. At the end of the road you will see Unite Students accommodation New Medlock and the adjacent Parkway Gate. This is where many students stay and will give you an overall idea of the area etc. uS staff maybe on hand to answer any questions you may have about the services provided. 😊

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, balletbean said:

If you decide to take a stroll to stretch your legs during the audition process, may I suggest to turn right out of NBS then right again. At the end of the road you will see Unite Students accommodation New Medlock and the adjacent Parkway Gate. This is where many students stay and will give you an overall idea of the area etc. uS staff maybe on hand to answer any questions you may have about the services provided. 😊

We made appointments with unite and viewed both, as you say they are just around the corner. They say they are fully booked for next year but if you are interested keep checking the website as rooms have been coming up in both. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wenders said:

We made appointments with unite and viewed both, as you say they are just around the corner. They say they are fully booked for next year but if you are interested keep checking the website as rooms have been coming up in both. 

Gosh, already fully booked! They used to have early bird rate until April time, encouraging returning students to book early ahead of those 1st yrs awaiting their A level results. How times have changed. 

Same here - DD was offered a place following her audition in January. As @BalletBellesaid, funding offers to be sent out from late March. DD thankfully has a few other options on the table, as thinking the accommodation situation in Manchester is not looking too positive atm 🙄

Edited by margarite
  • Like 1

All done now. DD enjoyed her day and got a good feeling about the place. It was very informative and like an audition and open day rolled into one ! How long did it take for results? Hate this waiting game again as decisions need to be made asap. Thanks so much every for your invaluable information. 😍👍🏻

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, margarite said:

@kazia1 DD auditioned on a Saturday and we got an email the following Friday. Good luck ☘️

Oh that good so not too long. She’s interested in the jazz route which sounded great. I loved the way that they were concerned about employability. The positive destinations of their graduates was impressive. 👍🏻

• Like 4

On 19/02/2023 at 11:07, margarite said:

@kazia1 DD auditioned on a Saturday and we got an email the following Friday. Good luck ☘️

Oh that good so not too long. She’s interested in the jazz route which sounded great. I loved the way that they were concerned about employability. The positive destinations of their graduates was impressive. 👍🏻

Hi, my daughter is year 2 & loves being at NBS. Students have been rebooking accommodation really early  ...my daughter & her flat mates had booked before Christmas!. They are in MSV dwell & she has been since her 1st year & has not had any problems at all. Quite a few from the unite properties are moving ....across the road to MSV dwell.  Saying that though accommodation does come available throughout the year & there are other options very near too. She is following the jazz route ...they still have ballet lessons but not as many as classical focus. Yes they have to travel to Denton but this is one bus ride 30/ 40 mins. To the bus is about a 15 min walk & off the bus to centre pointe is about 10 mins walk. You can get a yearly bus pass...useful if your DD / DS will also use the bus to get shopping etc.

As others have said if you need any other help please don't hesitate to ask.

Mj 

• Like 1