Northern Ballet School (Manchester) 2023

kazia1

10 hours ago, Mjdb said:

Hi, my daughter is year 2 & loves being at NBS. Students have been rebooking accommodation really early  ...my daughter & her flat mates had booked before Christmas!. They are in MSV dwell & she has been since her 1st year & has not had any problems at all. Quite a few from the unite properties are moving ....across the road to MSV dwell.  Saying that though accommodation does come available throughout the year & there are other options very near too. She is following the jazz route ...they still have ballet lessons but not as many as classical focus. Yes they have to travel to Denton but this is one bus ride 30/ 40 mins. To the bus is about a 15 min walk & off the bus to centre pointe is about 10 mins walk. You can get a yearly bus pass...useful if your DD / DS will also use the bus to get shopping etc.

As others have said if you need any other help please don't hesitate to ask.

Mj 

I was just on uS website as I was curious as to how Medlock was fully booked already. Which was unheard of when my DD was at NBS. The building is now only available to students enrolled at MMU but still operated by uS which has obviously impacted on accommodation availability for NBS pupils. Even though their places are confirmed long before A level results day and UCAS confirm places for MMU.

Pleased to hear that your DD is enjoying NBS and is settled in Dwell. 

😊

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 22/02/2023 at 18:36, kazia1 said:

Still awaiting the result 🙈😫👀. We are not good at this game. Once we know what’s to be we can make decisions 👍🏻Hoping soon.

It’s tough isn’t it. Good luck! Ours last year got sent out the Friday after the audition. They didn’t all come out at once either, so my son’s friend got the email and she knew she had a place and his didn’t come through for another hour or so… caused a complete riot in his physics class when he saw the email (which he shouldn’t have been looking at in class) and squealed very loudly! 😂 Thankfully the teacher was v supportive and just as excited as he was!! Keeping everything crossed for you. 

• Like 4

On 23/02/2023 at 10:29, balletbean said:

I was just on uS website as I was curious as to how Medlock was fully booked already. Which was unheard of when my DD was at NBS. The building is now only available to students enrolled at MMU but still operated by uS which has obviously impacted on accommodation availability for NBS pupils. Even though their places are confirmed long before A level results day and UCAS confirm places for MMU.

Pleased to hear that your DD is enjoying NBS and is settled in Dwell. 

😊

For anyone looking. There are rooms available at Parkway Gate tonight, not restricted to MMU. 

• Like 1

Hi, my daughter has been offered a place at NBS which she is delighted to receive.   We are still auditioning for other schools but NBS is top on our list.  Does anyone have any recommendations for accommodation, what is best suited to 1st year student, need to get moving on this before everything is booked out.  Thanks for all help.

P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ptd said:

Hi, my daughter has been offered a place at NBS which she is delighted to receive.   We are still auditioning for other schools but NBS is top on our list.  Does anyone have any recommendations for accommodation, what is best suited to 1st year student, need to get moving on this before everything is booked out.  Thanks for all help.

P

Hi there,

There are quite a few student accommodation buildings very close to NBS. My daughter & friends are in MSV dwell & quite a few others too ....maybe an email to enquire & say that dd / ds is going to be a student at NBS ...in the past they have tried to keep NBS students together . It will also depend on whether you will go for ensuite room or not as to availability . As well as MSV ...there is Parkway, Artisan Heights, Bridgewater Heights & a few more that are just a little further away. Some have eye watering rents.....I can't believe how much they have gone up since my daughter started!!. Also dropped our daughter back in Manchester today ....looks like more accommodation is being built behind her building & opposite Medlock & Parkway this was just a lift tower when she went back in September but there's a whole lot of building appearing each time we go back no idea when it's planned to be finished! Good luck in your search & never give up hope! 

We didn't have her funding offer until 1st September 2021 but still managed to find accommodation!! Be persistent!!

Mj.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ptd said:

P

Hi. Congratulations on your DD receiving an offer. As far as accommodation please check out Unite Students (uS) website. They are the company that own and manage the properties mentioned by Mydb. Parkway Gate next to New Medlock has been undergoing a massive renovation over the past few years. Rents were comparable between the two but unsure since the refurb of the new prices. Artisan building is only a couple of years old but the rents reflect that. Eye watering to say the least but it is just a few doors away from NBS. Do try to secure accommodation asap. uS have been very good in the past by accepting a deposit to secure a room knowing that in some cases it can be dependent on being awarded a DaDa. Once a room has been secured the flat would be blocked off for only NBS students but do keep in communication with them as errors have occurred in the past. 
My DD resided in both Medlock (now only available to MMU students) and Parkway during her 3 yrs at NBS. It had its faults like most Halls but generally overall they served their purpose. She was safe which is important. I would choose uS properties again. 
Good Luck but please don’t delay your search. Demand is high.🙂

ps. Wherever you choose to sign a tenancy agreement with please check the dates very carefully. It’s easy to overlook as the end of NBS summer term can fall just outside the weekly count for those Tenancy Agreement  😏

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 2

Thanks for everyone’s help. It’s been so supportive. Finally after a season  of auditions and a variety of offers, my DD has decided to go with the offer from LSC with the BA in Theatre Dance (Jazz). Now we know we can get cracking on everything! Good luck to everyone 🤞🏻😀👍🏻xx

• Like 9

Just now, kazia1 said:

Thanks for everyone’s help. It’s been so supportive. Finally after a season  of auditions and a variety of offers, my DD has decided to go with the offer from LSC with the BA in Theatre Dance (Jazz). Now we know we can get cracking on everything! Good luck to everyone 🤞🏻😀👍🏻xx

Congratulations to your DD 🤩 xxx 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ptd said:

P

Hi

My DD has also been offered NBS, which is her first choice. 
Im desperately trying to book accommodation. Parkway doesn’t have room availability with any other NBS students. However, Mill Point still has flats available. 
I am looking for another NBS student to book with as I don’t want my DD in a flat without another NBS student. 

• Like 3

Hi @Amy06,

My daughter has been offered a place and also likes NBS, however she still has 2 auditions to go and we will also have to wait until we know whether we can secure funding before we can make any decisions. We can't take up any offers without funding 😔.

I cannot wait until this whole process is over and we can start getting sorted. Everything is a bit in limbo at the moment.

If you are still looking for someone at the end of March, we might know what is happening by then and, if so, would be happy to flat share. I'm sorry we aren't able to be of more immediate help.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BalletBelle said:

Hi @Amy06,

My daughter has been offered a place and also likes NBS, however she still has 2 auditions to go and we will also have to wait until we know whether we can secure funding before we can make any decisions. We can't take up any offers without funding 😔.

I cannot wait until this whole process is over and we can start getting sorted. Everything is a bit in limbo at the moment.

If you are still looking for someone at the end of March, we might know what is happening by then and, if so, would be happy to flat share. I'm sorry we aren't able to be of more immediate help.

Hi

My daughter also can’t go without funding - which we don’t know yet. 
The deposit is £250 which you get back if you cancel so, I’m going to go ahead and book as accommodation is so difficult to secure in Manchester. 
Many thanks for your response. Yes, please get in touch when you know what is happening. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BalletBelle said:

Hi @Amy06,

It truly is a nerve wracking time but as accommodation appears to be in short supply for NBS pupils this year already, New Medlock is now designated for MMU students only whereby previously many NBS pupils stayed there I would suggest you really give serious consideration to make a booking ie with uS (Unite Students) as they do offer a refundable deposit should circumstances change later on. 
Good luck. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Amy06 said:

Hi

My daughter also can’t go without funding - which we don’t know yet. 
The deposit is £250 which you get back if you cancel so, I’m going to go ahead and book as accommodation is so difficult to secure in Manchester. 
Many thanks for your response. Yes, please get in touch when you know what is happening. 

Amy06 have sent you a message. 

1 hour ago, Mjdb said:

Hi,

Screenshot_20230225-133441-337.thumb.png.ff8f9b61aae3e328a39cd7d38cdcdf6c.png Hoping the above info will be helpful when deciding on tenancy length. This will ( unless a change is made, which I haven't known to happen ) be the term dates for when your DD / DS start. 

Mj

Thanks so much

4 hours ago, Amy06 said:

Hi

Im desperately trying to book accommodation. Parkway doesn’t have room availability with any other NBS students. However, Mill Point still has flats available. 
I am looking for another NBS student to book with as I don’t want my DD in a flat without another NBS student. 

message sent

8 hours ago, Amy06 said:

Hi

Hi Amy

Does Mill Point accept 16yr olds?  Have PM you 👍🏻

5 minutes ago, DreamChaser said:

Lots of info on Unite accommodation, does anyone have any experience of Sanctuary - Grafton St and Denmark Rd?

Hi. If it comes under uS then they accept 16yr olds. The only criteria is that the 16yr olds can’t sign the tenancy agreement. That would require an appropriate adult or over 18 to sign. Hope that helps.
Sorry no direct knowledge of the two properties mentioned.  🙂

Just a quick look on Dwell site & seems still accommodation in MSV, just up the road from Medlock. My daughter was 16 when she moved into here a few options still available there. Same as unite students I was asked to confirm & sign to say  I would take responsibility for her well being & her actions being under 18. 

Mj

Hi all, congratulations to all your DC's on their fabulous offers! Dwell certainly took 16 your olds last September - did you contact the Manchester one directly? I seem to recall that when I was looking last year there was some disparity between what was advertised/advised by central call centres and what we found when we spoke to individual premises, in particular for Dwell. When I managed to get in touch with the Manchester one directly they said they would take them, and there are definitely students booked in to Dwell for their 2nd yr next year, many of whom will start the year aged 17!

It's so frustrating that Unite seem to have just booked all their rooms out to MMU and seems incredibly unfair. It just might be worth contacting Zobia at New Medlock House directly (newmedlockhouse-manchester@unitestudents.com) on the off chance she can help, and/or to ask when they might release any that aren't booked. She has been really supportive and very helpful previously. They like having ballet students as they're always bright and bubbly and up and out, and often keep their flats tidier. She was also really good about keeping the flat to under 18's this academic year - I know this hasn't been the case previously but they did with our lot, possibly after some parents fought the battle in previous years! She doesn't have a lot of control over things but you never know. 

In terms of where the current students will be, there is definitely a flat of what will be 2nd yr NBS students booked at Parkway Gate next door to New Medlock... it's saying rooms are reserved but again, it might be worth a direct email, and also more booked in to Artisan Heights. I will ask my DS to see where others are staying too in case he has any other suggestions. 

One thing to bear in mind is that the insurance that comes with the Unite students accommodation can not be activated until the reach 17, so we've just had to have half a year with his room and the contents uninsured (could do it privately of course, but we never got around to it!) 

2 hours ago, ptd said:

Hi, was in touch with Dwell MSV Student living and they have said wont take under 18 year old students, is this correct, anyone have suggestions for accommodation for 17 year old

Hi there,

My daughter & her flat mate were only 16 when they started NBS In September 2021. The 4 who share the flat now were all just 17 at the start on this year's tenancy ....all now 18. Make sure you let them know they are NBS students. Contact details I have for MSV Dwell are: Phone : 061 200 5560, 

Email I deal with for tenancy: studentcare@dwellstudent.co.uk

Person who has helped me in the past:

Email: colm.leonard@dwellstudent.co.uk

I hope this helps.

Mj

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DreamChaser said:

I’ve tentatively reserved a room at Mill Point, would anyone be aware of any positive or negative experiences of this accommodation? Is it used widely by NBS students?

Hi,

I've just sent my daughter a message to ask if she knows of anyone who lives at Mill Point....she in classes at the moment so I'll let you know when she replies.

Mj

44 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

Hi there,

My daughter & her flat mate were only 16 when they started NBS In September 2021. The 4 who share the flat now were all just 17 at the start on this year's tenancy ....all now 18. Make sure you let them know they are NBS students. Contact details I have for MSV Dwell are: Phone : 061 200 5560, 

Email I deal with for tenancy: studentcare@dwellstudent.co.uk

Person who has helped me in the past:

Email: colm.leonard@dwellstudent.co.uk

I hope this helps.

Mj

thanks so much for info, i will get in touch directly, P

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

Hi,

I've just sent my daughter a message to ask if she knows of anyone who lives at Mill Point....she in classes at the moment so I'll let you know when she replies.

Mj

Just had a reply & she doesn't know anyone at Mill Point. Maybe if other parents of students already at NBS could ask their dd/ds.

Mj 

2 hours ago, mum5678 said:

Hi all, congratulations to all your DC's on their fabulous offers! 

It's so frustrating that Unite seem to have just booked all their rooms out to MMU and seems incredibly unfair. It just might be worth contacting Zobia at New Medlock House directly (newmedlockhouse-manchester@unitestudents.com) on the off chance she can help, and/or to ask when they might release any that aren't booked. She has been really supportive and very helpful previously. They like having ballet students as they're always bright and bubbly and up and out, and often keep their flats tidier. She was also really good about keeping the flat to under 18's this academic year - I know this hasn't been the case previously but they did with our lot, possibly after some parents fought the battle in previous years! She doesn't have a lot of control over things but you never know. 

In terms of where the current students will be, there is definitely a flat of what will be 2nd yr NBS students booked at Parkway Gate next door to New Medlock... it's saying rooms are reserved but again, it might be worth a direct email, and also more booked in to Artisan Heights. I will ask my DS to see where others are staying too in case he has any other suggestions. 

One thing to bear in mind is that the insurance that comes with the Unite students accommodation can not be activated until the reach 17, so we've just had to have half a year with his room and the contents uninsured (could do it privately of course, but we never got around to it!)

Hi. My DD resided in both New Medlock and Parkway during her time at NBS (graduated ‘21). I’ve been curious with all this news about lack of room availability so I went into uS website. To say I’m shocked at the prices they now charge is an under statement. A classic en-suite in a 5 or 6 bed flat between Sept ‘18 & summer of ‘21 was £162pw. Now I see prices as quoted ‘from’ £237pw. 😳. It’s not like the students at NBS can take on part-time work to supplement their income during term-time unlike Uni students but even then the prices are crazy. 

I do agree though with contacting the properties directly. We always managed to get any issues sorted incl a random Uni student accidentally placed in an NBS flat whereby contacting uS main line fell on death ears. 

I do happen to have acquired the email address for the CEO of uS if anyone feels that they may require a little assistance to obtain answers. Just drop me a PM.  It’s worked in the past. 

As far as insurance, all I can suggest is for parents to check their home insurance policy carefully as there are many that will cover personal possessions whilst away from the home. My DD was fully insured as a result of this despite only being 16 at the start of her time at NBS. 

As I conclude, I totally endorse your comment about uS staff in Manchester love having NBS pupils as tenants. It’s a good point, along with their ‘vulnerable age’ 😉 to use whenever engaging with the staff. It’s amazing what can be achieved😊

Good Luck and best wishes to everyone starting out at NBS.  Great school with fantastic passionate & caring staff. I say staff as that goes beyond the teachers. Many times these key members are overlooked. 😊 

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 2