Northern Ballet School (Manchester) 2023

kazia1

3 hours ago, DreamChaser said:

I’ve tentatively reserved a room at Mill Point, would anyone be aware of any positive or negative experiences of this accommodation? Is it used widely by NBS students?

A friend of my daughter lives at Mill Point. He’s not a NBS student but she has been to visit him there. She says it’s really nice and is comparable to the other student accommodation she’s visited (including Parkway Gate, New Medlock and Dwell MSV. Hope that helps!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither does mine in Yr 1, but I wouldn’t let that put you off… if Unite are going to do this it will be a problem for all NBS students who aren’t yet booked it so your DC is quite likely to be joined by others! 

Edited by mum5678
Adding to post

Sorry me again!  We’ve been sent all the contracts from Unite a little worried that it states that if we cancel after the 7 day cooling off period then we will lose the £250 deposit and as guarantors are liable to pay the full years rent if a replacement tenant isn’t found - which I understand is unlikely.

Amy06 mentioned that the £250 deposit was refundable if perhaps our DDs decided to take a place elsewhere - we still have 3 final auditions to go to.

Does anyone have any experience of cancelling with unite to go elsewhere? The cancellation policy only has exceptions if you miss the grades or get an offer elsewhere if you get better grades - obviously not applicable here….

7 hours ago, mum5678 said:

It just might be worth contacting Zobia at New Medlock House directly (newmedlockhouse-manchester@unitestudents.com) on the off chance she can help, and/or to ask when they might release any that aren't booked.

Unless she's come back in recent weeks, it's not Zobia any more unfortunately. I'm pretty sure it's a lady called Megan. Although if you happen to get Jake/Jacob, he's incredibly helpful. But yes, worth an email.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DreamChaser said:

Sorry me again!  We’ve been sent all the contracts from Unite a little worried that it states that if we cancel after the 7 day cooling off period then we will lose the £250 deposit and as guarantors are liable to pay the full years rent if a replacement tenant isn’t found - which I understand is unlikely.

Amy06 mentioned that the £250 deposit was refundable if perhaps our DDs decided to take a place elsewhere - we still have 3 final auditions to go to.

Does anyone have any experience of cancelling with unite to go elsewhere? The cancellation policy only has exceptions if you miss the grades or get an offer elsewhere if you get better grades - obviously not applicable here….

Hi there,

I had this problem & Iwas  dealing with Eszter, who left & then Zobia. I had the conversations about deposits & contracts saying our dd/ds could only accept places due to funding & this could be way past the cut off date. It was taken to managers & I got this changed & we were allowed to cancel & have a refund ....Miss Gray had to confirm to Unite that this was the case & we received our deposit back. I'm not sure if they are still honouring this policy but worth an ask. Stress that it is no different to uni students not getting the grades as the funding is done also on ability etc.

I wish you luck ...be persistent, persuasive & positive ! 

Mj

• Like 1

On 27/02/2023 at 11:31, ptd said:

Hi, was in touch with Dwell MSV Student living and they have said wont take under 18 year old students, is this correct, anyone have suggestions for accommodation for 17 year old

I contacted Unite and was told they don't accept under 18's at all. I will try contacting the buildings directly next and see if I get a different answer!

1 hour ago, Scottishballetmum said:

I contacted Unite and was told they don't accept under 18's at all. I will try contacting the buildings directly next and see if I get a different answer!

It’s completely confusing!  Unite accepted our online booking for Mill Point as long as we act as guarantor DD will have just turned 16 in September, this was entered on the online form.  I’ve had to cancel during the 7 day cooling off period however as the contracts sent state that we are liable for the full years rent if we cancel after the 7 day cooling off period and DD chooses to go elsewhere or doesn’t get the funding.  The exceptions on the contract apply to uni students not getting the expected grades.  This is confusing as another parents have posted to say that the deposit is fully refundable, not as worried about losing £250 deposit, as I am being liable for a full years rent!

To add to the confusion, we also applied to Dwell MSV and get a reply to say that they do not accept students under the age of 18yrs but we know from this thread that this is not the case.

I wonder how much of the confusion is the disparity between what goes on at national level as opposed to how the properties are managed locally?

do NBS offer any support to guide us through this process?

I don’t think it’s been quite this difficult before, so NBS haven’t had to get involved previously. I do think it’s worth chatting to Miss Grey about the issues here as it’s likely to impact their intake moving forward in general, and also she may be able to speak to some halls directly and create some sort of agreement. 

We were certainly given a refundable deposit option last year with new Medlock in case DC didn’t get what he needed to to get in and so we’re others, but NMH were quite used to doing this with ballet students, so it might be worth mentioning that to Mill Point and asking them to contact NMH to verify/ find out how they worked it.

I think there’s a huge amount of disparity between the ‘rules’ on a national level and for individual buildings, as you say. 

On the plus side, I can say that it’s a lovely school and DC is incredibly happy there, so worth persevering! 

Ahh, thought I hadn’t seen Zobia for a while! Yes Megan is also super helpful and so is Jacob. They are both really lovely and do their very best, although their powers are done what limited against the machine that is unite!! Megan was there last year (working with Zobia) so she’s probably familiar with the whole Dada deposit situation. Jacob is new in the role this year. My DCs flat spend ages chatting to them both! 😂

On 27/02/2023 at 20:57, Dancers Dad said:

Unless she's come back in recent weeks, it's not Zobia any more unfortunately. I'm pretty sure it's a lady called Megan. Although if you happen to get Jake/Jacob, he's incredibly helpful. But yes, worth an email.

• Like 1

Hi,

I do agree to contact each property direct rather than the head office / national teams. To my knowledge there have been no problems with the younger students in any of the mentioned accommodations. My advice would be to contact the people we have suggested to say ....your DC are NBS students they can start from age 16 & that you are willing to accept to be responsible for their well being & their conduct. Also that places are offered on ability & funding is not automatic & it maybe that places may have to be turned down if funding is not offered. I find it strange that now they are making it difficult for the students to secure accommodation. 

Mj

Parkway gate have rooms available just now, 44 week lease. When I toured the rooms they didn’t mention any issue with under 18’s. If a few are able to take up the rooms we can ask if they can keep NBS people together as there must be some ability to move single tenants about. 

Edited by Wenders

1 hour ago, Wenders said:

Parkway gate have rooms available just now, 44 week lease. When I toured the rooms they didn’t mention any issue with under 18’s. If a few are able to take up the rooms we can ask if they can keep NBS people together as there must be some ability to move single tenants about. 

My daughter will be living at Parkway Gate next year. Some in her flat will be under 18 (although not my daughter). When I rang to book her room, the lady I spoke to totally understood putting NBS students together, particularly if they are under 18. 

• Thanks 1

Just a quick note.

Maybe focus more on the year rather than the age of dc . NBS students can be anything from 16 to maybe early 20s in their first year. They will be doing classes at the same time too. May not be possible to all be under 18 but possible the same year. 

Mj 

Please see attached extract from unite tenancy terms and conditions. Definitely does not exclude under 18s from their properties.

1.8 The Tenancy Agreement is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy as defined by sections 19A and 20 of the Housing Act 1988 and the provisions for the recovery of possession by us in the Housing Act 1988 apply to the Tenancy Agreement. 1.9 Subject to clause 1.10 if when this Tenancy Agreement is completed you are under 18 years of age, the Tenancy Agreement will as a matter of law take effect as a licence to occupy until such date as you become 18. 1.10 You must be aged 17 or over before signing this Tenancy Agreement. 1.11 If you are aged 17 or over but under 18 years of age, you must notify us at least 4 weeks in advance of the Check In Date of any reasonable adjustments in connection with your occupation of the Room which you wish to request. We shall be under no obligation to make any adjustments, but will act reasonably in considering your request

10 hours ago, Mjdb said:

Just a quick note.

Maybe focus more on the year rather than the age of dc . NBS students can be anything from 16 to maybe early 20s in their first year. They will be doing classes at the same time too. May not be possible to all be under 18 but possible the same year. 

Mj 

I would agree with this.  When my dd started at NBS she was 16 in a flat with two 18 year olds, and two who were early twenties, but they were all NBS first years and it worked really well.  Probably much better than it would have been if they were all 16.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Please note that offers will go out but not everyone accepts as may have other offers too & may choose to take those. So offers can go back & forth for quite a while. 

Take it from a parent who knows....an offer can be given very late ! 

Mj

• 1 month later...

Just wondering how everyone is doing & if you all have your final plans sorted. NBS is a great school & Manchester a good place to be. School is busy at the moment with their end of year show preparations, can't wait!  Hope accommodation is all falling into place too.

Mj

• 10 months later...

Hi 

just after some accommodation advice from those of you currently at NBS.

DD has an offer but we were waiting on DADA results before booking accommodation as without this she can’t go. She will be 17 when she starts but dwell no longer take under 18’s and new medlock house don’t have any rooms available and the other unite properties are over £255 a week. From everyone’s experience do rooms become back available at medlock as time goes on or are we out of luck?

• Like 1

On 23/03/2024 at 10:02, La sylphide said:

Hi 

just after some accommodation advice from those of you currently at NBS.

DD has an offer but we were waiting on DADA results before booking accommodation as without this she can’t go. She will be 17 when she starts but dwell no longer take under 18’s and new medlock house don’t have any rooms available and the other unite properties are over £255 a week. From everyone’s experience do rooms become back available at medlock as time goes on or are we out of luck?

Hello, I don’t have a current student at NBS but do have experience with uS, at New Medlock and Parkway Gate  Is their website saying full or have you spoken to staff directly?  They do block off flats once there is at least one NBS pupil accommodated, which might not be reflected on their website. 
Rooms can become available on A level results day as some students may not receive the grades they need to attend the uni of choice however, that would only provide a room in a flat of other older uni students not NBS.   
Possibly the same could be said for another 1st yr NBS pupil that doesn’t receive a DaDa but did pay a deposit for a room.  
Could be worth maintaining a dialogue with the staff directly.  
I appear to have deleted New Medlock’s direct number but I do have the number for Parkway Gate if required. They are literally next door to each other.  
Rather than the generic uS number.  
Good Luck. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Hello, I don’t have a current student at NBS but do have experience with uS, at New Medlock and Parkway Gate  Is their website saying full or have you spoken to staff directly?  They do block off flats once there is at least one NBS pupil accommodated, which might not be reflected on their website. 
Rooms can become available on A level results day as some students may not receive the grades they need to attend the uni of choice however, that would only provide a room in a flat of other older uni students not NBS.   
Possibly the same could be said for another 1st yr NBS pupil that doesn’t receive a DaDa but did pay a deposit for a room.  
Could be worth maintaining a dialogue with the staff directly.  
I appear to have deleted New Medlock’s direct number but I do have the number for Parkway Gate if required. They are literally next door to each other.  
Rather than the generic uS number.  
Good Luck. 

Thank you we managed to get a cancellation room in new medlock this week. I emailed them directly and they said currently they have two NBS flats that are full so can’t guarantee she will be in a flat with all  NBS students it may be mixed but that due to her age she will definitely not be with anyone over 21 and once the flats are all full they will see if they can jig it around a bit for her.  Just waiting for the DADA results now 🤞🏻

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, La sylphide said:

Thank you we managed to get a cancellation room in new medlock this week. I emailed them directly and they said currently they have two NBS flats that are full so can’t guarantee she will be in a flat with all  NBS students it may be mixed but that due to her age she will definitely not be with anyone over 21 and once the flats are all full they will see if they can jig it around a bit for her.  Just waiting for the DADA results now 🤞🏻

That is good news. Pleased for you. New Medlock is so convenient for NBS. 

As we know the majority of students on a 3yr degree course graduate the yr they turn 21, so that’s nearly all of the uS students/tenants. Bless uS staff.  

Can’t be easy for them. Its not just the NBS pupils for their age but also religion, single sex or alcohol free/vegan only flats and then of course international uni students who want to stay together. all to accommodate. 😉

You are doing well. Keep that dialogue going. Paid off so far 
Checkin day a tin of biscuits for the staff goes a long way 😊

• Like 1