Press Release: English National Ballet presents Nutcracker and Swan Lake at the London Coliseum this Winter

English National Ballet
Winter at the London Coliseum  
Nutcracker & Swan Lake 
Thursday 15 December 2022 - Sunday 22 January 2023
www.ballet.org.uk 

English National Ballet continues its annual festive tradition this Christmas, presenting Nutcracker at the London Coliseumfrom 15 December 2022 - 7 January 2023 followed by Swan Lake from 12 - 22 January 2023.

Screenshot 2021-06-30 at 10.37.30.png

Having presented a version of Nutcracker every year since 1950, English National Ballet returns with this much-loved version, choreographed by Wayne Eagling. Over 100 dancers and musicians bring this classic story and Tchaikovsky’s popular score to life, featuring the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy and Waltz of the Flowers, performed live by English National Ballet Philharmonic. 

Following its hugely successful UK tour to audiences of almost 20,000 people, English National Ballet presents Swan Lake at the London Coliseum in January 2023. Choreographed by Derek Deane with Tchaikovsky’s glorious score performed by English National Ballet Philharmonic, this production features some of the most iconic scenes in ballet and is perfect for both dedicated fans and first-time ballet-goers. 

For its performances of Nutcracker and Swan Lake this Christmas, English National Ballet welcomes Guest Artist Brooklyn Mack back to the London stage, following his performances with the Company on tour this autumn. Full Principal casting will be announced shortly.

Alongside its performance, English National Ballet will host a range of workshops and events, offering an introduction and insight into the world of ballet. Activities include onstage workshops for all ages, craft making, family friendly performances, and behind-the-scenes talks. For more information see www.ballet.org.uk  

- Ends - 

Notes to Editors

English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England. 
Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet.

Listings information 

Nutcracker 
London Coliseum
Thursday 15 December 2022 – Saturday 7 January 2023
www.ballet.org.uk/nutcracker

Swan Lake
London Coliseum
Thursday 12 – Sunday 22 January 2023
www.ballet.org.uk/swan-lake 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Alongside its performance, English National Ballet will host a range of workshops and events, offering an introduction and insight into the world of ballet. Activities include onstage workshops for all ages, craft making, family friendly performances, and behind-the-scenes talks. For more information see www.ballet.org.uk  

Hmmm none of this information is currently listed.

They’re keeping us waiting even longer than usual for casting info (I have “on this day” reminders on the computer that previously it was last week in previous years and in Eagling’s time, even earlier).

The reason why casting is crucial for these two ballets for me is that it’ll be our 11th time watching this particular production of Nutcracker and 6th time seeing this Swan Lake, so we prefer not to catch the same dancers in the lead roles every single year, but to have a bit of variety. 

I expect they’re waiting till the Raymonda performances in Southampton and Bristol are over/nearly over to see if there are injuries and so on, and the lack of casting is absolutely no detriment to sales, but it would be nice to know. Am sure most of their principals have already been informed of/assigned their dates. 🙂

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Am sure most of their principals have already been informed of/assigned their dates.

or perhaps they don't, I spoke to one of the principals after Sadlers Wells last week and they didn't know their dates much to the frustration of their own family who want to come and see them. 

9 minutes ago, MAX said:

who is in charge of the company at the moment ?

I recently enquired of ENB but received a vague answer which included the fact that there was a new Artistic Coaching lead and Aaron Watkin was visiting regularly.

I suggested that Friends and Patrons be informed more fully but there has been no communication as yet.

I should have mentioned casting as well!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, PeterS said:

or perhaps they don't, I spoke to one of the principals after Sadlers Wells last week and they didn't know their dates much to the frustration of their own family who want to come and see them. 

I guessed that too- with ENB, there is more of a “troupe” way of organising things where everyone, including principals, is expected to cover each other, whereas for companies like RB, ABT or Paris Opera, there is more of an advance planning system and a hierarchy where the senior principals or big stars want their dates in advance to plan their guest starring/gala appearances to fit around their company shows.

But I do remember when a friend dancing Nutcracker in Eagling’s time used to get his dates for the main roles (Clara/Nephew/Drosselmeyer/Nutcracker) quite early and used to not only be able to tell me which date he was doing a lead role but who he was performing it with. (My friend has left ENB now, so no further intel!) It has become progressively later and later in Rojo’s time. 

Am also guessing the current uncertainty might be down to the rather fluid (or vague) leadership arrangements right now. Hope they announce casting before the week of the show!! 

On one of their Facebook posts I think on Saturday there was mention of what you might want for Christmas ( eg: book tickets, workshops etc and I couldn’t resist it and commented ‘casting for Swan Lake would be nice.’ 

• Like 4

I capitulated a few weeks ago as I could see that the dates I wanted were filling up quickly, so bought my tickets. I’m super-curious to find out who will be cast - it does indeed seem very late in the day!

• Like 1