Press Release: English National Ballet presents Nutcracker and Swan Lake at the London Coliseum this Winter

English National Ballet
Winter at the London Coliseum  
Nutcracker & Swan Lake 
Thursday 15 December 2022 - Sunday 22 January 2023
www.ballet.org.uk 

English National Ballet continues its annual festive tradition this Christmas, presenting Nutcracker at the London Coliseumfrom 15 December 2022 - 7 January 2023 followed by Swan Lake from 12 - 22 January 2023.

Screenshot 2021-06-30 at 10.37.30.png

Having presented a version of Nutcracker every year since 1950, English National Ballet returns with this much-loved version, choreographed by Wayne Eagling. Over 100 dancers and musicians bring this classic story and Tchaikovsky’s popular score to life, featuring the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy and Waltz of the Flowers, performed live by English National Ballet Philharmonic. 

Following its hugely successful UK tour to audiences of almost 20,000 people, English National Ballet presents Swan Lake at the London Coliseum in January 2023. Choreographed by Derek Deane with Tchaikovsky’s glorious score performed by English National Ballet Philharmonic, this production features some of the most iconic scenes in ballet and is perfect for both dedicated fans and first-time ballet-goers. 

For its performances of Nutcracker and Swan Lake this Christmas, English National Ballet welcomes Guest Artist Brooklyn Mack back to the London stage, following his performances with the Company on tour this autumn. Full Principal casting will be announced shortly.

Alongside its performance, English National Ballet will host a range of workshops and events, offering an introduction and insight into the world of ballet. Activities include onstage workshops for all ages, craft making, family friendly performances, and behind-the-scenes talks. For more information see www.ballet.org.uk  

- Ends - 

Notes to Editors

English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England. 
Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet.

Listings information 

Nutcracker 
London Coliseum
Thursday 15 December 2022 – Saturday 7 January 2023
www.ballet.org.uk/nutcracker

Swan Lake
London Coliseum
Thursday 12 – Sunday 22 January 2023
www.ballet.org.uk/swan-lake 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Alongside its performance, English National Ballet will host a range of workshops and events, offering an introduction and insight into the world of ballet. Activities include onstage workshops for all ages, craft making, family friendly performances, and behind-the-scenes talks. For more information see www.ballet.org.uk  

Hmmm none of this information is currently listed.

• Like 1

They’re keeping us waiting even longer than usual for casting info (I have “on this day” reminders on the computer that previously it was last week in previous years and in Eagling’s time, even earlier).

The reason why casting is crucial for these two ballets for me is that it’ll be our 11th time watching this particular production of Nutcracker and 6th time seeing this Swan Lake, so we prefer not to catch the same dancers in the lead roles every single year, but to have a bit of variety. 

I expect they’re waiting till the Raymonda performances in Southampton and Bristol are over/nearly over to see if there are injuries and so on, and the lack of casting is absolutely no detriment to sales, but it would be nice to know. Am sure most of their principals have already been informed of/assigned their dates. 🙂

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Am sure most of their principals have already been informed of/assigned their dates.

or perhaps they don't, I spoke to one of the principals after Sadlers Wells last week and they didn't know their dates much to the frustration of their own family who want to come and see them. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MAX said:

who is in charge of the company at the moment ?

I recently enquired of ENB but received a vague answer which included the fact that there was a new Artistic Coaching lead and Aaron Watkin was visiting regularly.

I suggested that Friends and Patrons be informed more fully but there has been no communication as yet.

I should have mentioned casting as well!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, PeterS said:

or perhaps they don't, I spoke to one of the principals after Sadlers Wells last week and they didn't know their dates much to the frustration of their own family who want to come and see them. 

I guessed that too- with ENB, there is more of a “troupe” way of organising things where everyone, including principals, is expected to cover each other, whereas for companies like RB, ABT or Paris Opera, there is more of an advance planning system and a hierarchy where the senior principals or big stars want their dates in advance to plan their guest starring/gala appearances to fit around their company shows.

But I do remember when a friend dancing Nutcracker in Eagling’s time used to get his dates for the main roles (Clara/Nephew/Drosselmeyer/Nutcracker) quite early and used to not only be able to tell me which date he was doing a lead role but who he was performing it with. (My friend has left ENB now, so no further intel!) It has become progressively later and later in Rojo’s time. 

Am also guessing the current uncertainty might be down to the rather fluid (or vague) leadership arrangements right now. Hope they announce casting before the week of the show!! 

On one of their Facebook posts I think on Saturday there was mention of what you might want for Christmas ( eg: book tickets, workshops etc and I couldn’t resist it and commented ‘casting for Swan Lake would be nice.’ 

• Like 4

I capitulated a few weeks ago as I could see that the dates I wanted were filling up quickly, so bought my tickets. I’m super-curious to find out who will be cast - it does indeed seem very late in the day!

• Like 1

English National Ballet 
Nutcracker 
London Coliseum
15 December 2022 - 7 January 2023
https://www.ballet.org.uk/production/nutcracker/

English National Ballet is delighted to announce Principal casting for Nutcracker at London Coliseum from 15 December 2022 - Saturday 7 January 2023. 

Continuing its festive tradition of presenting a version of Nutcracker every year since 1950, English National Ballet returns with Wayne Eagling’s production. Over 100 dancers and musicians from English National Ballet Philharmonic bring this classic Christmas ballet to life across a total of 31 performances this festive season. 

The role of Clara/Sugar Plum will be performed by Lead Principals Fernanda Oliveiraand Erina Takahashi, Principals Emma Hawes and Natascha Mair, First Soloist Katja Khanuikova, Soloist Julia Conway, Junior Soloist Francesca Velicu, and First Artist Ivana Bueno who debuts in the role. 

Nephew/Prince will be danced by Lead Principal Francesco Gabriele Frola, Guest Artist Brooklyn Mack, Principal Aitor Arrieta, First Soloists Daniel McCormick and Ken Saruhashi. Debuting in the role of Nephew/Prince will be Soloists Fernando Carratalá Coloma and Erik Woolhouse, and Junior Soloist Lorenzo Trossello. 

The role of the Nutcracker will be played by First Soloists Daniel McCormick and Junor Souza, Soloists Fernando Carratalá Coloma, Skyler Martin and Erik Woolhouse, and First Artists Matthew Astley, Henry Dowden and Rentaro Nakaaki.

Alongside the shows, English National Ballet will host a range of family-friendly workshops and events. More information see www.ballet.org.uk.

Full Principal Casting in the order of Clara, Nephew, Nutcracker and Drosselmeyer: 
Please note, casting is subject to change. Please see www.ballet.org.uk for up to date casting. 

Thu 15 Dec 2022, 7.30pm (Press Night) 
Julia Conway, Francesco Gabriele Frola, Fernando Carratalá Coloma, Fabian Reimair

Fri 16 Dec 2022, 7.30pm
Erina Takahashi, Lorenzo Trossello*, Daniel McCormick, James Streeter

Sat 17 Dec 2022
2.30pm Fernanda Oliveira, Fernando Carratalá Coloma*, Erik Woolhouse, Henry Dowden
7.30pm Emma Hawes, Aitor Arrieta, Junor Souza, Fabian Reimair

Mon 19 Dec 2022, 7.30pm
Julia Conway, Francesco Gabriele Frola, Fernando Carratalá Coloma, Fabian Reimair

Tue 20 Dec 2022
2.30pm Natascha Mair, Brooklyn Mack, Henry Dowden, Junor Souza
7.30pm Erina Takahashi, Lorenzo Trossello, Daniel McCormick, James Streeter

Wed 21 Dec 2022
2.30pm Emma Hawes, Aitor Arrieta, Junor Souza, Fabian Reimair
7.30pm Fernanda Oliveira, Fernando Carratalá Coloma, Erik Woolhouse, Henry Dowden

Thu 22 Dec 2022
2.30pm Natascha Mair, Brooklyn Mack^, Henry Dowden, Junor Souza
7.30pm Julia Conway, Francesco Gabriele Frola, Fernando Carratalá Coloma, Fabian Reimair

Fri 23 Dec 2022
2.30pm Erina Takahashi, Lorenzo Trossello, Daniel McCormick, James Streeter
7.30pm Emma Hawes, Aitor Arrieta, Junor Souza, Fabian Reimair 

Sat 24 Dec 2022, 2pm
Fernanda Oliveira, Fernando Carratalá Coloma, Erik Woolhouse, Henry Dowden

Tue 27 Dec 2022
2.30pm Emma Hawes, Aitor Arrieta, Junor Souza, Fabian Reimair
7.30pm Julia Conway, Francesco Gabriele Frola, Fernando Carratalá Coloma, Fabian Reimair

Wed 28 Dec 2022
2.30pm Katja Khaniukova, Ken Saruhashi, Mathew Astley, Giorgio Garrett7.30pm Erina Takahashi, Lorenzo Trossello, Daniel McCormick, James Streeter

Thu 29 Dec 2022
2.30pm Fernanda Oliveira, Fernando Carratalá Coloma, Erik Woolhouse, Henry Dowden7.30pm Emma Hawes, Aitor Arrieta, Junor Souza, Fabian Reimair

Fri 30 Dec 2022
2.30pm Ivana Bueno*, Erik Woolhouse*, Rentaro Nakaaki, Henry Dowden7.30pm Julia Conway, Francesco Gabriele Frola, Fernando Carratalá Coloma, Fabian Reimair

Sat 31 Dec 2022, 2pm
Francesca Velicu, Daniel McCormick, Skyler Martin, Junor Souza

Tue 3 Jan 2023, 7.30pm
Natascha Mair, Brooklyn Mack^, Henry Dowden, Junor Souza

Wed 4 Jan 2023, 7.30pm
Erina Takahashi, Lorenzo Trossello, Daniel McCormick, James Streeter

Thu 5 Jan 2023
2.30pm Ivana Bueno, Erik Woolhouse, Rentaro Nakaaki, Henry Dowden

7.30pm Katja Khaniukova, Ken Saruhashi, Mathew Astley, Giorgio Garrett

Fri 6 Jan 2023
2.30pm Francesca Velicu, Daniel McCormick, Skyler Martin, Junor Souza

7.30pm Natascha Mair, Brooklyn Mack^, Henry Dowden, Junor Souza

Sat 7 Jan 2023
2.30pm Katja Khaniukova, Ken Saruhashi, Mathew Astley, Giorgio Garrett (Family Friendly performance) 

7.30pm Francesca Velicu, Daniel McCormick, Skyler Martin, Junor Souza

*Debut in the role 
^Guest Artist 

Notes to Editors
English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England. 
Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had to book without knowing who I’d get, as my own schedule was starting to fill up fast and suddenly there were lots of dates I couldn’t do anyway. Really tempted to book another cast!

My wish list/guesses came true in one regard- Ivana Bueno dances Clara/Sugar Plum this season, which will be very exciting. Still waiting to see Junor Souza as Nephew (remember, he danced Ali at the premiere of Le Corsaire and he’s Ali on the company DVD too; and he’s danced the acting roles in many productions he has the technical and dramatic skills to carry off the role.) Hope Aaron Watkin is reading our forum page!

They’re really keeping us waiting with the Swan Lake casting too, but I am less concerned about that- not as likely to get a repeat as all my previous Odette/Odiles have moved on or retired. I know others may need or want to know the Swan Lake casting more urgently though. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I know others may need or want to know the Swan Lake casting more urgently though. 

It would be very useful to know the Swan Lake casting because of the multibuy discount. The Nutcracker cast I want to see only has one performance I can get to that isn't sold out so I don't really want to risk holding off significantly longer to book a Nutcracker ticket but at the same time it would be nice to get that 15% multibuy discount.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

It would be very useful to know the Swan Lake casting because of the multibuy discount. The Nutcracker cast I want to see only has one performance I can get to that isn't sold out so I don't really want to risk holding off significantly longer to book a Nutcracker ticket but at the same time it would be nice to get that 15% multibuy discount.

You may do better with the offer via Official London Theatre - available now to Mastercard audiences and publicly available on Tuesday. 

https://officiallondontheatre.com/show/nutcracker-111432319/?from=NYS&month=01%2F23

For the seats I am looking at including 20% friends discount and being accompanied by an under 15, savings overall are better here (but have to wait for Jan). I have missed the boat though in terms of Swan Lake as booked that earlier with no cast info, but I don’t think 2 discount codes can be used at once anyway…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Yes, I normally hold off every year till casting comes out because of the multibuy but one year I waited and only seats left to see Cojocaru and Frola were so cramped and uncomfortable. (Worth it to see Frola for the first time and Cojocaru was of course lovely as always as Clara- it’s one of her signature roles; she can still look 12 even at age 42, and Frola, you know of course, Dawnstar....wow, wowzer, etc).

But this time the sales were doing so well- well done ENB & Coliseum, plus their marketing teams.... and their dancers on Instagram! - that I thought I’d just pick two random Nutcracker and Swan Lake dates in case the tickets sold out completely on the dates I was free, and rather like Advent Calendars or Forrest Gump, hope for the best while not knowing what I’m going to get. (Mixing up my metaphors a bit there!) I’ve got the multibuy discount now, but if you have the time and flexibility to wait for casting and your preferred seats are still unsold, Dawnstar, then do. PS don’t forget to check the rail strike and bus strike dates too, as they may limit who you can see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blossom said:

You may do better with the offer via Official London Theatre - available now to Mastercard audiences and publicly available on Tuesday. 

https://officiallondontheatre.com/show/nutcracker-111432319/?from=NYS&month=01%2F23

For the seats I am looking at including 20% friends discount and being accompanied by an under 15, savings overall are better here (but have to wait for Jan). I have missed the boat though in terms of Swan Lake as booked that earlier with no cast info, but I don’t think 2 discount codes can be used at once anyway…

Thanks for the suggestion but the cast I most want to see (which yes, @Emeralds, is the one with Frola!) has their last performance on 30th December so unfortunately too early for the offer. Also the train strikes knock out 4 of the 5 January Nutcracker dates anyway. I am hoping I might be able to use the OLT offer for a Swan Lake, if the casting has been revealed by the time public booking opens next week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks for the suggestion but the cast I most want to see (which yes, @Emeralds, is the one with Frola!) has their last performance on 30th December so unfortunately too early for the offer. Also the train strikes knock out 4 of the 5 January Nutcracker dates anyway. I am hoping I might be able to use the OLT offer for a Swan Lake, if the casting has been revealed by the time public booking opens next week.

We could well end up at the same show! Am considering adding Conway/Frola/Coloma or one of Oliveira, Velicu or Bueno’s dates. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

There are several casts I'd like to see but given I've already got 2 RB Nutcrackers booked, & will be adding a third if I can get a rush ticket, I don't think I can afford more than one ENB cast.

Unfortunately, I think one of my Nutcrackers will be impossible to get to due to the strikes on that day, so it might end up being returned if the strike doesn’t get called off, in a revolving door act of one out, one in with an ENB Nutcracker or ENB Swan Lake. 

16 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

I've booked a strike day Nutcracker, do you think the Coliseum will do a refund or exchange, they don't seem as flexible as the ROH.

I previously had to cancel due to flooding and for non-Covid illness, and they were sympathetic and helpful, and did exchange the tickets for something like £2.50 or £3 per ticket; it was less than ROH at the time. I think if you call or use the chat bot on the website (which is actually answered by a real person even though it looks like a bot app) in advance they are quite flexible. Whereas at ROH the system is the same whether it’s due to flooding, strikes or you changed your mind [perhaps after a cast change!] nowadays.  😊 Am sure that for the strikes the Coliseum staff will  try to help you get a date you can attend if there are still tickets available, possibly with a small charge. Good luck 🍀

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

I’ve got the Emma Hawes/Aitor Arrieta performance on 23 Dec; I saw them in Raymonda and they were excellent so I’m happy with that. I haven’t yet booked for Swan Lake - I saw Frola in that last time (I had a Frola hat trick that season of Nutcracker, SL and Manon, lucky me!) and would love to see him in SL again - so hanging on for casting!

• Like 1

I don't like ENB's Nut but I am thrilled that Francesca Velicu is getting the chance to dance SPF so I will be going to one of her shows.  As I haven't seen this production for a few years, and I understand it has been tweaked, I might enjoy it more.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

After clicking on the submit button to enter the draw, nothing obvious happened, so I do hope I'm entered!

Oh dear.  I hadn't tried to enter (wrong county) but I did just now and got an acknowledgment, that looks exactly like the entry page except the 

Thank you for entering today's prize draw. We will notify all winners by email after the closing date.

in small print right above Laurent-Perrier’s logo

To add, if they do let me win, I'll give it to you

Edited by oncnp

38 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Oh dear.  I hadn't tried to enter (wrong county) but I did just now and got an acknowledgment, that looks exactly like the entry page except the 

Thank you for entering today's prize draw. We will notify all winners by email after the closing date.

in small print right above Laurent-Perrier’s logo

To add, if they do let me win, I'll give it to you

thanks for the info - and the offer! 🙂

18 hours ago, Beryl H said:

I was so excited to see Francesca Velicu that I quickly booked for the 7th January, then realised it was a rail strike day!

Thanks to Emeralds' posting above, it may not be too difficult to change 🙂

21 hours ago, Sim said:

I don't like ENB's Nut but I am thrilled that Francesca Velicu is getting the chance to dance SPF so I will be going to one of her shows.  As I haven't seen this production for a few years, and I understand it has been tweaked, I might enjoy it more.

Just a quick reminder to everyone planning to catch Francesca Velicu’s Clara/Sugar Plum performances that she is scheduled to dance on two dates  that are currently rail strike dates. Her only non-rail strike date (poor Francesca!) is the New Year’s Eve matinee, Sat 31 Dec  at 2pm, and tickets for that show are already selling fast. (Of course, if one lives in London and doesn’t need the rail network to get to the London Coliseum, that is not a problem.) Don’t leave it too late to buy or exchange tickets. 😊🍀

• Thanks 1