Birmingham Royal Ballet - Coppelia - Plymouth and Birmingham - October 2022

I had a jolly good time in Plymouth watching the first 3 performances of Sir Peter Wright's sumptuous and very pretty production of Coppelia.

It is a very traditional production and I have to say that it is my favourite of the productions of Coppelia I have seen over the years.

The three performances I saw with three different casts were superb.

The opening night honours went to Celine Gittens and Tyrone Singleton who both brought a light touch to Swanilda and Franz - lots of loving flirtation and, of course, superbly danced.  Coppelius was performed by the ever wonderful Michael O'Hare.  You can really empathise with his Coppelius.  How lucky BRB are to have him.

On Thursday afternoon Beatrice Parma made her debut as Swanilda with Tzu Chao Chou as her Franz.  As with their performances of Don Q earlier in the year there was an enormous warmth and sense of joy emanating from the stage.  I had a silly grin on my face throughout the performance!  Rory McKay was excellent in the role of Coppelius.

There was another debut on Thursday evening with a joyous Yaoqian Shang partnered by cheeky chappy Max Maslen as Franz.  They were just terrific.  Michael O'Hare was again outstanding as Coppelius.

So three casts - all different and all wonderful.  Roll on Birmingham!

• Like 11

I like this production very much- can’t go wrong with a Peter Wright production of a classic. The last time I saw it, Miyako Yoshida danced Swanilda and the Royal Ballet artistic director was still dancing Franz with BRB! Am still moving schedules around to try to fit in a trip to see this. Very envious of Janet for being able to catch 3 casts! 👍

• Like 3

On 10/10/2022 at 20:37, Jan McNulty said:

I had a jolly good time in Plymouth watching the first 3 performances of Sir Peter Wright's sumptuous and very pretty production of Coppelia.

It is a very traditional production and I have to say that it is my favourite of the productions of Coppelia I have seen over the years.

The three performances I saw with three different casts were superb.

The opening night honours went to Celine Gittens and Tyrone Singleton who both brought a light touch to Swanilda and Franz - lots of loving flirtation and, of course, superbly danced.  Coppelius was performed by the ever wonderful Michael O'Hare.  You can really empathise with his Coppelius.  How lucky BRB are to have him.

On Thursday afternoon Beatrice Parma made her debut as Swanilda with Tzu Chao Chou as her Franz.  As with their performances of Don Q earlier in the year there was an enormous warmth and sense of joy emanating from the stage.  I had a silly grin on my face throughout the performance!  Rory McKay was excellent in the role of Coppelius.

There was another debut on Thursday evening with a joyous Yaoqian Shang partnered by cheeky chappy Max Maslen as Franz.  They were just terrific.  Michael O'Hare was again outstanding as Coppelius.

So three casts - all different and all wonderful.  Roll on Birmingham!

So sorry to have to miss the Plymouth run. Have tickets booked for BRB’s return next Spring in Swan Lake, another wonderful Sir  Peter Wright production . How were the audience numbers Janet? I assume the  upper circle was closed, but hopefully the remainder of the theatre was pretty full for such a lovely production. Looking forward to taking a trip to Birmingham to see it again after quite a few years.

• 2 weeks later...

Coppelia

Birmingham Royal Ballet

Birmingham Hippodrome, 27 October 2022

Cast

Swanilda:            Samara Downs

Franz:                  Brandon Lawrence

Dr. Coppelius:    Jonathan Payn

Production:        Sir Peter Wright

Up to Birmingham yesterday to see another of “Wright’s Delights”, his 1995 production of Coppelia for Birmingham Royal Ballet.

“Deliciously old fashioned” said my companion, and that is an apt way to describe the set.  It reminded me of a 1930s Dracula or Frankenstein movie, always set in a nameless Eastern European village.  It was gloomy, moody, dark…and I loved it!  I noticed that the Act 1 set was also used in Act III, whereas it is usually different.  I don't know why this is, but luckily it worked in the context of the narrative.

The gloom lifted as soon as the dancing started.  Samara Downs, in her first performance since returning from maternity leave, immediately commanded the stage as Swanilda.  Feisty but sweet at the same time, she has pretty feet and lovely arms and hands.  Add to that an innate musicality and perfect comic timing, and we had a Swanilda as entertaining as any that I have seen. As well as the stage, she commanded Franz, and Coppelius, and the audience so naturally.  Wonderful.

This matinee saw the debut of Brandon Lawrence as Franz.  Lawrence, always an effortlessly graceful and elegant dancer, is also a very considerate partner and was the perfect support and foil for Ms Downs.  He was totally believable as a young lad in the first flush of manhood, a cheeky but lovable chappy.   Lovely as his dancing was, I did feel he was constrained by a relatively small stage.  He is blessed with a beautiful line and long legs, and I wish he had been able to dance as expansively as he is capable of when given the space.  But that is a small observation and did not in any way detract from what was a very impressive debut.

There was great chemistry between the leading couple and they individually, and together, raised many laughs from a packed Hippodrome.  In the end, after a warmly danced final pas de deux, the whole audience went home feeling the love, as well as the joy that so many of us need in these turbulent times.

Also making a debut was Beatrice Parma as Dawn.  Again very musical, with an assured technique (she effortlessly knocked out those Italian fouettes as seemingly easily as if she were walking down the street…and all with a big smile on her face), this dancer is always a delight to watch.  Also catching my eye was Javier Rojas, a Cuban dancer with wonderful ballon and whip-crack turns in the Call to Arms section. 

Jonathan Payn as Coppelius didn’t quite catch the pathos that makes a successful portrait of the lonely and eccentric toymaker.  However, his miming was very clear and we knew and understood what he was thinking and doing the whole time.   

The company are on excellent form, dancing together and having a good time.  This sense of fun and youthful high-spiritedness conveyed itself from stage to audience in abundance, which greatly added to the warm glow that I am sure we all experienced as we left the theatre.  This production is a pick-me-up that I can highly recommend if you can get to the Birmingham Hippodrome by 29 October. 

• Like 10

i saw this yesterday too and it was worth travelling down to Birmingham even with all the advance train booking chaos.   the dancing was lovely, both precise and energetic and joyful as befits this ballet at both matinee and evening performances with the principals and the corps giving it their all and succeeding too.  i've not see this production before and for me, both the set and the costumes somewhat were heavy and dark, laden with the overblown romanticism of a Fragonard painting. as such, i have to admit to preferring the cleaner lines and brighter staging of the RB production.  also, having sat on both sides of the auditorium, sitting on the right-hand side in the evening,  i simply did not understand why the Coppélia doll and the first act appearance of Dr Coppelius (both important to the narrative) were hidden out of the sightline of a third of the audience on a balcony at the back of the stage partly obstructed by a post and hidden by a tree.  i did wonder if the latter was intentional or had the tree blown down in the recent high winds? by way of comparison the balcony that Swanilda appeared on was front of stage and unobstructed by either. perhaps  the set being so cumbersome would also explain the two very long intervals which could benefit from being trimmed as the majority of the audience was back in its seats long before the bell.  BRB is always worth a visit in it's home theatre (or on tour) and i do like the ease of going to the stage door afterwards and the pleasure that the company get from being recognised and complimented.  Señor Acosta included.

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 3

This production of Coppelia is utterly delightful. I love the sets. The company were on such good form, as always, but in particular I want to congratulate Brandon Lawrence on a fantastic debut - so assured and confident and such generous attentive partnering - he must be an absolute dream to dance with.

I left the theatre on a high, very happy that a valued friend had invited me to see this gorgeous production.

• Like 3

Thanks for these reviews - I can just picture Brandon Lawrence in this role= perfect. It will have to stay a mental picture as chances of getting to Birmingham were nil. Maybe some other day.

Does anyone have any photos?

However I think he might be in the film of Don Q  -is he? - so will renew efforts to see that  - somewhere...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mary said:

Thanks for these reviews - I can just picture Brandon Lawrence in this role= perfect. It will have to stay a mental picture as chances of getting to Birmingham were nil. Maybe some other day.

Does anyone have any photos?

However I think he might be in the film of Don Q  -is he? - so will renew efforts to see that  - somewhere...

I think he's Espada in the filmed version.  I think it was the night I was there.  He was really good, lovely jumps and plenty of swagger and dash.  I'd definitely recommend if you can.  

• Like 3

Just back from Coppelia tonight.

i am no connoisseur, but utterly enjoyed every second of it. Wonderful set, beautiful music and such amazing dancers (Miki Mizutani and Mathew's Dingman). A definite must-see!

The thing that I hate is the traffic in Birmingham. It took 1.5 hours for an 8 mile trip in, we arrived with literally 1 second to spare. Almost 50 mins back, with drunks stepping in front of cars, gridlock traffic. Its awful and so stressful!!

• Like 5

I'm also just back from Coppelia tonight, like SplitSoul who just posted. My head's spinning with the brilliance and joy of this glorious Coppelia. MItzutani and Dingman simply incandescent - as were the rest of the company and indeed the orchestra. I went to see opening night with Celine Gittens and Tyrone Singleton leading, again words can't quite capture the brilliance and virtuosity of this performance too by BRB, this masterpiece of a ballet and production. Marvellous, marvellous, marvellous. 

I feel your pain SplitSoul about the Brum traffic. I live near Liverpool around 90 miles away, and yes the final 10 miles drive was pretty dreadful for driving. Half-term-friday-afternoon conditions perhaps ? - a subject for another of the forums. Will post more details of the performances I saw soon. Thank you so much BRB for putting this amazing ballet on this season, wish it had come to the NW, but it's easily worth the gauntlet of Brum traffic!  

Edited by northstar
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, SplitSoul said:

The thing that I hate is the traffic in Birmingham. It took 1.5 hours for an 8 mile trip in, we arrived with literally 1 second to spare. Almost 50 mins back, with drunks stepping in front of cars, gridlock traffic. Its awful and so stressful!!

I drove to yesterday evening's performance from Chester and just as when I went to the Into the Music programme last weekend it was fine until the last three or four miles. The centre of Birmingham really seems to crucify traffic at the moment, and getting from the Mailbox car park to the A38 after the show was somewhat akin to finding your way through the Hampton Court maze!

Totally agree with what you say about last night's show though - Miki Mizutani and Mathias Dingman were both wonderful throughout. The biggest shout of the night however was for Riku Ito in the Call to Arms section. His acquisition from Northern Ballet looks like it's going to pay dividends! I also loved Yijing Zhang as Prayer - just beautiful.

Edited by ChrisG
  • Like 3

Thanks everyone for their reviews of this short and precious run of BRB Coppelia. I went twice this week to Birmingham Hippodrome, saw Celine Gittens and Tyrone Singleton lead on opening night and Miki Mizutani and Mathias Dingman on Friday night. 

It's been 5 years since I've seen BRB Coppelia and thus it had a wonderful joyous freshness, energy, and beauty that made it a very special week seeing it again. What a sublime work, another one of Sir Peter Wright's great creations. Peter Farmer's rich European-romantic-style sets and scenery, the powerfully ebullient music by Delibes and played by the brilliant Royal Ballet Sinfonia, and the simply amazing dancing by some of the world's greatest dancers. It's just wonderful and this week everything just came together in perfect form. 

I have long loved Gittens and Singleton but not seen them in this ballet and they are such noble dancers I wondered how they would suit Swanhilda and Franz but they were completely convincing. Both precise, perfect and lively. Gitten's blend of comedy and virtuosity just great, she looked on really really good form. Singleton similarly, triple tours of great accuracy stick in my mind. I echo Chris G's praise of Yijing Zhang as Prayer she owns this role superbly. When Mizutani came on as Dawn she just shone with poise and presence of a great principal. I agree Riko Ito too was a complete sensation. Packed opening night and some audience behaviour issues, that I might write about elsewhere. But the performance brought the house down. 

And so I could not let this run go by without travelling to Birmingham again on Friday to see Mizutani lead with Dingman. I continue to be stunned by the development of Mizutani. Always a superb dancer, her dancing particularly over the pandemic has developed to such a command of the art, the highest quality you could wish to see. No wonder she was promoted to principal this year. And her partnership with Dingman, cemented with recent the Don Quixote performances makes this partnership one of the greats in my eyes. Her Act III solo particularly, finishing her stunning manege, drew a cheer from the audience which rivalled that for the Call To Arms. Her clarity, speed and musicality were so superb on Friday it was a privilege to watch. Dingman's delivered the flair and virtuosity which I have come to expect of him, having also been privileged to enjoy it on previous occasions, he is a special dancer to me. 

Riko Ito was at the pre-performance talk on Friday, I was unaware he had been at Northern Ballet for 8 years, he talked of the challenge of the turns in the Call to Arms and spotting with the other men going round. A great addition to BRB. I've been a bit sad at some dancers leaving BRB over the pandemic (and I've just found out Arancha Baselga whom I saw as Swanhilda in 2017, she was great, has left the company ☹). So it's great to see the replenishment of riches with new dancers in the company. 

Coppelia is such a perfect ballet especially when delivered with the quality that BRB do, I had forgotten how good it was but magical to be reminded and see it again. Wish it was a longer run, would love to see other casts. 

Edited by northstar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was lucky to see the first 3 performances in Birmingham and I must say that the company continue to be in excellent form.

On Wednesday evening Celine Gittens and Tyrone Singleton were excellent.  Celine is a softer Swanilda than some and Tyrone is her perfect foil with just the right amount of cheeky chapiness.  Michael O'Hare is nonpareil as Dr Coppelius - he is such a subtle actor whose presence must surely reach the back of the auditorium.  Riku Ito excelled as the lead in the Call to Arms in Act 3.  His first leap was just amazing - as one chum said he must have jumped his own height!

Thursday afternoon gave us a special treat with Brandon Lawrence making his debut as Franz and Samara Downs giving her first performance since her return from maternity leave.  It was one of those magic dust afternoons and Sim has given us a great review higher up the thread.  I thought Samara was exquisite and her hand and arm movements were divine.  What can I say about Brandon - he WAS Franz.

Thursday evening saw another wonderful performance from Momoko Hirata and Tzu Chao Chou who gave the performance a tremendous warmth.

So my Coppelia-watching is over for the time being and I am a very happy bunny!

In respect of driving in Birmingham I tend to use the Arcadian car park which is opposite the theatre (and it's cheaper than the one by the Holiday Inn and the Mailbox!).  I think the grid-locked traffic is something to do with the ongoing roadworks while the tram system is being extended.  Of course, it's been half term this week too.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, northstar said:

And her partnership with Dingman, cemented with recent the Don Quixote performances makes this partnership one of the greats in my eyes.

Did Mizutani dance Don Q with Dingman in BRB's performances this year? I saw it at Sadler's Wells with Lachlan Monaghan & I thought he was dancing with Mizutani. Admittedly I'm not that familiar with BRB's dancers so I guess I could have mixed her up with one of BRB's other Japanese or Chinese female dancers, as there are quite a lot of them.

31 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Did Mizutani dance Don Q with Dingman in BRB's performances this year? I saw it at Sadler's Wells with Lachlan Monaghan & I thought he was dancing with Mizutani. Admittedly I'm not that familiar with BRB's dancers so I guess I could have mixed her up with one of BRB's other Japanese or Chinese female dancers, as there are quite a lot of them.

When BRB did Don Q at Salford Lowry Theatre in March, on 'opening night' (the real opening night was cancelled due to illness, covid I think) it was Mizutani and Dingman. They also danced the grand PDD in the Dance for Ukraine Gala at London Coliseum shorty afterwards (btw I think that's available on MarqueeTV). Miki was promoted to principal at around the same time.  I admit I wasn't familiar with the Sadler's Wells casts, but I think I remember checking them (on the vague thought of travelling to see it again) and being interested in the partnerships which was different to what I saw in Salford. I also admit I'm not familiar with the Plymouth/Birm Hippodrome casts. 

But they were a great Kitri/Basilio and just as great a Swanhilda/Franz ! 

Edited by northstar
  • Like 1

Thanks Dawnstar you are right Mizutani did partner Monaghan for some Don Q's and there was some partner swapping. Sorry if I gave a misleading impression that her and Dingman were always leading together. I wish I'd seen more Don Q performances and hope it's on again soon.

Thanks all for the other reviews and discussions points of Coppelia for casts I did not see. Just wanted to mention Sofia Linares as well who was splendid as Dawn on the Friday at the Hippodrome, she's an exciting new acquisition too like Rio Ito.  I also saw Linares as Rose Fairy in the Nutrcaker last Christmas and was struck by her too then.  

Edited by northstar
  • Like 2

Back home after the matinee today (I had 4 trains there and back and 3 of them were delayed/cancelled :()

But the show was fully worth all the travel havoc. Momoko Hirata was as weightless as ever, her pointe work is brilliant. She was incredibly clear in her mine, had all the comedic timing the role requires, and was a joy to watch even when not dancing (especially in Act 1, when she's very miffed at Franz). Tzu-Chao Chou, who, if you read my posts on the forum before you'll know I'm a fan of, was brilliantly cheeky. The ladder being brought across the stage was a highlight. But of course, as he is Tzu-Chao Chou, when it came time for the jumps and whirls he went whizzing off. 

Joining the whizzing off club was Enrique Bejarano Vidal leading the Call to Arms- if my faulty memory serves me right his turns got the only untimed applause (by that I mean when there was no indication to applaud). Back to Act I, Ellis Small made a wonderful debut as the Gypsy. Apprentice Olivia Chang Clarke in the role of Coppelia was doll-like, which would be something I could use as a compliment in other circumstances but here I am just stating fact. 

Rory Mackay was glorious as Coppélius, getting large laughs from the audience over and over, and him and Hirata were a comedic duo worthy of the ages in Act II. Rosanna Ely was radiant as Dawn (as you'd expect), and Lucy Waine was graceful in the Prayer solo. Reina Fuchigami and Gus Payne were the Betrothal couple, and were rigidly easygoing, if that makes sense (they were doing the steps as choreographed, but looked as if they were just having a fun little time in the inn). 

Overall the corps were brilliant, giving the audience a lively Mazurka, a blissful Waltz of the Hours, a glorious Work, a mighty Call to Arms, and so much more. There were a lot of families there which was nice to see, and everyone had a good laugh. I even got an ice cream in the first interval! 

Two trains and a taxi later and I am back home knowing I got to see an outstanding performance. 

Edited by MaddieRose
Spelling
  • Like 7

I went to the Saturday evening performance at Birmingham.  It was really well done.  Samara Downs makes a lovely Swanhilda, really full of character and vivacity.  Her technique is of course amazing, and she was so funny in the doll moments in Act 2.  Brandon Lawrence was also great, lovely panache in the jumps and some beautifully sensitive and considered partnering in the dance with both Swanhilda and the Gypsy.  He also had great comic timing on the ladder scene and even from the back of the theatre I could see his acting which was lovely. I always wish Franz had more to do in the second act because it's always a shame he's unconscious for most of it.  I thought the piece as a whole was well delivered. 

Daria Stanciulescu shone for me as the Gypsy and I thought her porte de bras was lovely.  I also liked Beatrice Parma as Dawn.  The company pieces were very good and I especially liked the way Miles Gilliver led the call to arms.  

Definitely a really fun evening, a lovely piece performed really well by everyone.  

• Like 12

Great to hear how well the run of Coppelia is going from everyone who has been. I’m hoping that Carlos Acosta will consider bringing this production to London, eg at Sadler’s Wells or London Coliseum, as my attempts to organise travel to Plymouth and/or Birmingham proved impossible (cloning technology and time travel still not perfected yet!).....plus I think it will do really well in July like Don Q did this summer. The last time I saw this production was over 15 years ago - it’s time for a “reunion”!

• Like 4

Had two fabulous evenings on Thursday and Friday, grinning like a goon the whole way through.   Hadn't bought tickets in advance, but bought them about 7.15pm each night, asking for their best cheapest ticket, and expecting to be at the back of the rear circle, and instead, found myself, both nights, a few rows from the stage in centre front stalls for £26.50!  Might be a tip worth knowing!  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...