Yorkshire Ballet Seminars (YBS) 2023

MissEmily

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a note to those awaiting results/waitlists etc....best of luck & by no means feel sad if places do not free up....lots of happy dance opportunities to still be had I'm sure!

Experience of very many Easter/Summer/Autumn intensives & day course over the years (incl. YBSS/RBS/ENBS/Elmhurst/Tring/Malvern/RAD amongst others) Quite new to MBS (& not been to Summer held in Uppingham I believe not Malvern now?) but it has become the happiest one! It attracts dancers across the board incl. the very high standard ones (& lots of older boys too!) but does seem to be a bit more chilled out....not the 'this barre is just for dancers from the such & such prestigious school' that you sometimes can annoyingly get! Maybe as it's not specifically linked to a vocational school too it takes away any competitive/treat every class as an audition vibe that can creep in? Great value for money too IMO.

Of course, every dancer will have their own favourites & great to experience a broad selection as possible!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My dd got waitlist, bit frustrating to hear so many seem to have been offered the same, seems like a way to fob you off and give false hope. Does it seem they favour those at vocational schools? My dd isn’t at one, but when I attended YBS, I was, and lots went from White Lodge (not me!). 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PetitJeté said:

My dd got waitlist, bit frustrating to hear so many seem to have been offered the same, seems like a way to fob you off and give false hope. Does it seem they favour those at vocational schools? My dd isn’t at one, but when I attended YBS, I was, and lots went from White Lodge (not me!). 

Hi, my daughter is at Vocational School and she is on the waiting list! 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PetitJeté said:

My dd also at vocational school and got waitlist.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2023 at 17:18, Zara said:

How likely is it that you will get on the Yorkshire Ballet Seminar Summer Intensives if you are put on the waiting list! My dd has been put on the waiting list and I’m just wondering wether or not to book elsewhere for summer

We applied fairly late last year and joint the waiting list. Dd then got a place so there is movement.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mummy twinkle toes said:

We applied fairly late last year and joint the waiting list. Dd then got a place so there is movement.

I’d forgotten about that! Applications stay open, but only to “join the waitlist”.  I imagine that makes it even less likely that anyone from the original waitlist will get in, as anyone applying late who would have been good enough for a “yes” will go straight to the top of the waitlist?

On 14/04/2023 at 09:44, PetitJeté said:

I agree it does seem like it's become a thing this year to offer waitlist to everyone who didn't get a yes. It is frustrating as you have no idea really whether they were close or not. I would rather they just said no if that's what it really is but as you say, probably easier to 'fob you off' like this.

My child is not at vocational school and received waiting list this year after receiving a yes in the two previous years.  The only difference is that we applied for a bursary this year, whether that’s the reason I’m not sure.

If applications are on the increase, and space in short supply, it might have been fairer to limit places to one week per student, yet we know of people who have received two weeks/places.

• Like 1

Yes my daughter has 2 weeks.......but many older ones apply for 2 weeks.....just like they do for RBS? Should they also limit people.to one week?

I know of someone with a bursary with 2 weeks, and someone who has been accepted and is on waitlist for bursary too. I also know of a vocational student with waitlist despite going past 2 years.

Tbh I do think the class sizes have increased over the past couple of years so it will be nice to see them reduced again.

Edited by sunrise81
  • Like 2

Sorry, I can’t reply now you’ve toned down with an edit, so just to reassure I wasn’t referring to you when I said ‘I know of’ people with two places.  I hadn’t seen your previous post.  I apologise if I’ve inadvertently offended, just with so many on the waiting list, and not having heard of a ‘no’ so far. 

We’ve found the application process quite different with RBS, however, and Dd has been fortunate enough to have been offered a place on the SI this year, so we are counting our blessings, and are very grateful.

5 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

Yes my daughter has 2 weeks.......but many older ones apply for 2 weeks.....just like they do for RBS? Should they also limit people.to one week?

I know of someone with a bursary with 2 weeks, and someone who has been accepted and is on waitlist for bursary too. I also know of a vocational student with waitlist despite going past 2 years.

Tbh I do think the class sizes have increased over the past couple of years so it will be nice to see them reduced again.

The difference is that RBS is a 5 week course and not 3 week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnTheMove said:

The difference is that RBS is a 5 week course and not 3 week. 

I assume that you mean that the RBS can train more students or have smaller classes over the 5 weeks?

It looks as though the courses for younger children are one week and for older children 2 weeks.  Or do people apply for more than one course?

Just now, Jan McNulty said:

I assume that you mean that the RBS can train more students or have smaller classes over the 5 weeks?

It looks as though the courses for younger children are one week and for older children 2 weeks.  Or do people apply for more than one course?

They can train more and also have smaller classes. They split up the boys and girls and have less age groups in one class. Yes the older children can do two weeks. 

I can understand people’s frustrations that you can do 2 or even 3 weeks at YBS and so many get waitlist. Maybe it’s a good idea that older students are the only ones that choose 2 weeks as I suppose 2 weeks for a younger student is quite intense. 

16 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

A lot of WL students applied this year for YBS. Due to term dates they are restricted to week 3 so I guess if lots applied for week 3 then that’s why there are lots on the waiting list 

We applied for week 1 or 2 as my daughter’s vocational school breaks up first week of July! And are on the waitlist 

30 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

A lot of WL students applied this year for YBS. Due to term dates they are restricted to week 3 so I guess if lots applied for week 3 then that’s why there are lots on the waiting list 

So are you implying that if you’re WL it’s an automatic yes? 

1 minute ago, OnTheMove said:

So are you implying that if you’re WL it’s an automatic yes? 

Not at all… I’m just saying there are quite a few more who applied this year than last year  so obviously with more applications it’s going to be harder to offer places .. I can only speak of that particular vocational school… I’m sure others have had many students apply too. 

1 minute ago, Jan McNulty said:

The way I read it is that there will be a lot more applicants for that week as the WL students couldn't apply for the other 2!

I read it as though if WL have applied then many others will be on the waitlist 

3 minutes ago, OnTheMove said:

It doesn’t really make sense to me what you said. Plenty of other vocational and non vocational students apply for all weeks. 

It was merely a suggestion as to why a certain week might be oversubscribed.. only a suggestion. 
I rarely comment on here these days for fear of being lynched or offending anyone unintentionally…

Please don’t take what I said the wrong way or twist it into something it was not . I will not be lead into any more discussion regarding it. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, The red shoes said:

It was merely a suggestion as to why a certain week might be oversubscribed.. only a suggestion. 
I rarely comment on here these days for fear of being lynched or offending anyone unintentionally…

Please don’t take what I said the wrong way or twist it into something it was not . I will not be lead into any more discussion regarding it. 

I suppose when things are written down they can be interpreted lots of different ways. No need for a discussion. 

2 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

@The red shoes you have given, what was to me, very clear comments and subsequent clarification.  Thank you.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PetitJeté said:

I agree that wait list just leaves you in limbo, my daughter got wait list for Royal too for the same week as YBS, obviously I’m not expecting either to come up, but you just don’t know. 

Cross fingers for your daughter 

• Thanks 1

It maybe depends where you're coming from but we've always taken the train to Harrogate and then either a taxi or bus from there to the school (if we have suitcases etc) or if it's just me going back to collect (with no luggage) then it's about a 30 min walk. 

It's only about 10 mins drive from Harrogate station to the school, I think we paid about £8ish in a taxi at Easter. 

• Thanks 1